As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Civilization V: Like fine wine, Civ gets better with age

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    I still love one YouTube comment on the Assyrian war theme: "the sound of resigning in the classical age." I can only imagine three times the number of turns of it.

Man whenever I'm up against Assyrians I immediately grab Archery and run through the bottom of the tech tree and go scorched-earth on them.

If you strike first and prevent them from waltzing over three dozen Siege Towers to your borders they're kinda up a creek.

• Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    The complete package for Civs 5 is $80 in Australia. Me and my friends all own 5 vanilla(Had it from years back) and have sunk 50 hours into it in the last week. We all very keenly want the expansions but $80 is too much.

Any recommendations? Places it might be cheaper online? Buying just the 2 expansions and not the DLC? Is the DLC worth it?

Fantastic
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I just wish I knew the impetus behind some of the AI decisions, but as far as I know there's no quick rundown like Civ 4.

I had been buddy-buddy with Theodora basically all game (defensive pact, research agreements with no additional cost, etc). She has a religion and I have a religion, so it would be understandable if she suddenly got upset because I wanted to proclaim mine the world religion and got 4 other civs on board with that decision.

But then I had to revert to an autosave and did the same thing and she had no change in opinion like the first time. Other civs come and complain to me about whatever happened in the Fifth Council of Venice 30 turns ago, so maybe it's just a delayed reaction.

I'm Venice on a completely different continent so I have no other explanation.

Also in this game, Ashurbinipal was basically the only guy being a huge dick. Essentially wiped America off the map...then declared war on me, but didn't want to move his musketeers closer to Venice en masse, so my fleet of great galleasses wrecked his swarm of trebuchets and musketeers as they trudged along the shoreline single-file. Then Japan and India soar in after his army's defeated...but don't give Washington back to America. The only other wars seem to involve Carthage, who seems to hate Siam.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    There's a semi helpful but still kind of mystifying list of positives/negatives if you hover over your relations. But diplomacy was designed to be semi-random in one of the flawed decisions they made from the very start.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    So I just started a new game, and good god this starting location.

FC4E7E1529941E530FD656206783C30D449A9448

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Unlucky wrote: »
    The complete package for Civs 5 is $80 in Australia. Me and my friends all own 5 vanilla(Had it from years back) and have sunk 50 hours into it in the last week. We all very keenly want the expansions but $80 is too much.

Any recommendations? Places it might be cheaper online? Buying just the 2 expansions and not the DLC? Is the DLC worth it?

Try greenmangaming.com Pretty sure I picked it up from there pretty cheap. They very often have sales too.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    So I just started a new game, and good god this starting location.

Sun God all up ins.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Fuck me, I just got slammed with -30 Unhappiness because Siam adopted Autocracy. I'm fucked. I can't wage a war at -20.
    Cant you just switch to autocracy to remove the penalty?
    I've got a huge, sprawling empire, and was using several of the Order policies to keep Happiness up in the first place (like that lovely +2 local happiness from Monuments). If I flip, I actually lose even more Happiness... to the point where my cities are going to flip.

Siam has like 4x the Tourism of everybody else, I really should have been watching that.

• Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    If Siam ceases to exist that penalty goes away, right?

Throw everything you have at it.

• Options
    Yeah, the trick is if I can do it quickly enough. At -19, I'm going to have barbarian revolts in my territory and a significant penalty to attack. I might just save scum and continue my original assault for ~30 years prior.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    @Aistan I hope there are more hills within range. I count 5 workable by the capital and you could have some workshops as well. But man dat wheat.

My Shoshone game is going completely downhill because my capital is great except it has no production. I got three hills and nothing but grassland. Settled on the coast and didn't get one damn sea resource. No iron, no coal. The one game I get the Hanging Gardens and I have unemployed citizens piling up.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Shogun wrote: »
    My Shoshone game is going completely downhill because my capital is great except it has no production. I got three hills and nothing but grassland. Settled on the coast and didn't get one damn sea resource. No iron, no coal. The one game I get the Hanging Gardens and I have unemployed citizens piling up.
    I've never had to deal with this. Maybe go with Trading Posts instead of Farms and buy your buildings instead? Not sure how viable.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    BeefersBeefers Registered User regular
    Best way to play Shoshone on that type of map is to go wide, skip monuments and hustle either trade, religion or war. Honestly the best way to play them is wide 90% of the time.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Aistan I hope there are more hills within range. I count 5 workable by the capital and you could have some workshops as well. But man dat wheat.

There are six. 4 tundra, 2 plains. Those and the salt mines are keeping me going decently, but once I get Electricity that's when it's going to get really crazy. There are 10 river tiles within range.

Unfortunately Assyria was right next door on this little island, so the early game was kind of rough. I managed to take him out though so it should be smooth sailing from here on. The rest of the world kind of sucks, expansion-wise. Germany and Siam are currently staring down Attila, who gobbled up most of the land on their continent, and Sweden is off doing their own thing.

I think this is going to end up being a three city game for me. Assur was in a perfect spot for Petra, but someone else grabbed it during our war.

Aistan on
  • Options

FREEEEEEEEDOM. Get the Statue up in your second city.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Between that and hammer boats you don't havea lot of options. Well, you can bury a GE, but lets stick to GOOD options.

Also, after doing a bunch or rerolls last night I have determined there is one Civ with a Natural Wonder bias: Venice. The amount of times there was a good natural wonder juuust where I wouldn't want my main city but would want a second was absurd.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular

FREEEEEEEEDOM. Get the Statue up in your second city.

I'm not sure I can make it to industrialization. Carthage and I are at constant war with no one gaining anything. I would really, really like to take her capital just to have another really strong city. I would like to build 1-2 more cities for my core but with 3 cities and this non-stop warring I can't stop to build any damn settlers despite that Moson Kahni has an insane amount of food. My last settler was grabbed by a barbarian right before Dido DoW'd on me. I'm not even to the renaissance yet and both my other cities have blown past the capital. I think if I had gone Liberty and focused on building cities this might be different. I knew settling so close to Carthage would piss her off.

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    I knew settling so close to Carthage would piss her off.

The first time I played Civ 5, I built my second city just South of Dido's. I didn't know she was there because of a mountain range. The turn after that she complained that I shouldn't settle near her. A few turns later we had a Declaration of Friendship. Next thing I know a bunch of elephants and archers came over the moutains. Now I know how the Romans felt.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    I knew settling so close to Carthage would piss her off.

The first time I played Civ 5, I built my second city just South of Dido's. I didn't know she was there because of a mountain range. The turn after that she complained that I shouldn't settle near her. A few turns later we had a Declaration of Friendship. Next thing I know a bunch of elephants and archers came over the moutains. Now I know how the Romans felt.

this is basically how it happened with me. She is a backstabbing bitch.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Had a fun game as Japan (Emperor Difficulty). Had a decent starting position (moved on turn 1 and got several sea resources in the city boundary) away from everyone else (a group of city states separated me from the only other civ on the continent). Didn't start or see a single war, had 5 cities by the end of the game, all of which were great (3 on the main continent, 2 on a smaller continent that just had city states). Ended up winning with a cultural victory, though it took a little longer than normal since France was in the game.

Yes, bow before my giant robot & cute girl anime & manga!

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Man being Japan and not going to war is crazypants

Their ability is arguably win-more but it's really good win-more

• Options
    The adjusted one is at least a little friendly for peace.

• Options
    I still think that fishing boat ability is kinda dumb.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    So just how much better is BNW? Is it similar to the jump from vanilla to Gods and Kings?

I'll pick it up eventually, just want to know how much I'm missing out on.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014

with God of the Sea, strong coastal city locations, and exploration tree it is kind of cool. It is sort of like a mini pantheon. Could have made it a tad stronger by giving Japan a culture bonus with preference to all sea resources. They claim whaling is part of their culture right?

Shogun on
  • Options
    Shimshai wrote: »
    So just how much better is BNW? Is it similar to the jump from vanilla to Gods and Kings?

I can't imagine playing without Brave New World now. Trade routes alone make it worthwhile, and the ideologies add some fun ways to get different victory conditions. Then there's everything else the expansion adds on top of that.

• Options
    Shimshai wrote: »

Loads. Yes.

• Options

with God of the Sea, strong coastal city locations, and exploration tree it is kind of cool. It is sort of like a mini pantheon. Could have made it a tad stronger by giving Japan a culture bonus with preference to all sea resources. They claim whaling is part of their culture right?

The culture part of it is okay, it's more the Samurai part, which doesn't really make sense.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    The more I play, the more the little things I don't like start to outweigh all the stuff I like, as I take them for granted.

MIght be time to call it quits with Civ 5.

• Options
    Is there a way to see how mant units I've killed, and of what type?

I pushed through the horrible unhappiness with some strategic purchases and boosted tourism... and then waves after waves after waves of those damn elephants. Seriously, I must have killed a hundred.

Then Darius' army showed up to the north, which I managed to hold off with an arty and some B-listers.

Slogging through to Rak's capital took forever . I thought Great Wall stopped working after gunpowder?

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    It stops when the builder discovers dynamite.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Is there a way to see how mant units I've killed, and of what type?

I pushed through the horrible unhappiness with some strategic purchases and boosted tourism... and then waves after waves after waves of those damn elephants. Seriously, I must have killed a hundred.

Then Darius' army showed up to the north, which I managed to hold off with an arty and some B-listers.

Slogging through to Rak's capital took forever . I thought Great Wall stopped working after gunpowder?

After the owner gets it. Yes, it makes no fucking sense.

• Options

The culture part of it is okay, it's more the Samurai part, which doesn't really make sense.

The Samurais are administrators thus allowing for more effective... fishing? Okay, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it's still really powerful. You get Samurais about the same time as you get the ability to cross oceans so it means that you can jumpstart up all of your new island cities' growth superfast without spending money on fishing boats.

• Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    Is the unit not lost when it makes the tile improvement?

• Options
    edited April 2014

ok I was totes not aware samurai could do that. It is kind of funny. Sort of like Spanish Conquistadors except...not really.

edit: 101 hours in 2 weeks of that unicorn game in my sig? I wish I had that kind of free time.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited April 2014

I am currently playing on King and for the first time I have seen the AI build Citadels. Attila the Hun has the Great Wall and 3 citadels between his capital and my forces. No thanks. I am planning on taking out Austria just so I can go around those citadels.

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    Is the unit not lost when it makes the tile improvement?

It's not lost. One samurai is worth an infinite number of fishing boats.

• Options
    edited April 2014

I am currently playing on King and for the first time I have seen the AI build Citadels. Attila the Hun has the Great Wall and 3 citadels between his capital and my forces. No thanks. I am planning on taking out Austria just so I can go around those citadels.

I've had people try that on me, but as long as you have a 3+ move unit you only have to take one hit (with GW, anyways) before you pillage the Citadel. They're not that effective when you can just range down any sucker that gets in and eventually just pillage it.

A duck! on
  • Options
    I've had people try that on me, but as long as you have a 3+ move unit you only have to take one hit (with GW, anyways) before you pillage the Citadel. They're not that effective when you can just range down any sucker that gets in and eventually just pillage it.

I was unaware that they could be pillaged. :blush:

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular

Nazi Germany would be proud.

This discussion has been closed.