As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Civilization V: Like fine wine, Civ gets better with age

That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guyRegistered User regular
edited December 2014 in Games and Technology
24zcd1y.jpg

Just one more turn...

New to Civ 5 or Civ in general? Watch Giantbomb's almost hour long quicklook at get a good idea of the game

REVIEWS
Joystiq wrote:
For a game so very, very large, it delivers everything in an easy to understand package no matter what route you take to playing it. The core Civilization experience is still there, but it's like an efficiency expert came in and streamlined everything that had gotten clunky with the series. It's a "friendly" strategy game.
My favorite Civilization to date. Hex tiles and no stacking makes combat fun and more tactical. The new systems work incredibly well without altering what makes the game Civilization. Civ V is an excellent game.
Improvements to the user interface and AI at all levels result in it being more approachable for newcomers without losing any of the strategic depth that long-time fans crave. It vastly improves combat, making the micro-level gameplay both more complex and entertaining. It trims all the fat, leaving only decision-making, strategic planning, and the sheer joy of crushing your enemies. Civ V is the pinnacle of the franchise to date.
Civilization V is a brilliant expression of the turn-based strategy game by the undisputed masters of the form. It's a great entry point for newcomers, and veterans will delight in all the wrinkles and refinements.
Wired wrote:
In a sea of shooters with pounding soundtracks and frenetic gameplay, Civilization V is one of the few games to challenge players' minds - to have them sit back and analyze situations methodically. If Halo: Reach is heaven on earth for twitch-gamers everywhere, then Civilization V is the thinking man's paradise.

Sid Meier's Civilization V (also known as Civilization 5) is a turn-based strategy computer game developed by Firaxis and released on Microsoft Windows in September 2010. It is the latest game in the Civilization series.

In Civilization V, the player leads a civilization from prehistoric times into the future on a randomly-generated map, achieving one of a number of different victory conditions through research, diplomacy, expansion, economic development, government and military conquest. The game is based on an entirely new game engine with hexagonal tiles instead of the square tiles of earlier games in the series. Many elements from Civilization IV and its expansion packs have been removed or changed, such as religion and espionage. The combat system has been overhauled, removing stacking of military units and enabling cities to defend themselves by firing directly on nearby enemies. In addition, the maps contain computer-controlled city-states as non-player characters that are available for trade, diplomacy and conquest. A civilization's borders also expand more realistically, favoring more productive terrain, and the concept of roads has changed.

The game features community, modding and multiplayer elements.

This is a STEAM POWERED game, no matter where you buy it it will have to be linked to your Steam account.

The Game maybe be found here. steam://store/8930/

You can peruse the GAME MANUAL here, if you are so inclined. Can be printed for easy toilet reading!
Minimum Requirements

Operating System: Windows® XP SP3/ Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
Processor: Dual Core CPU
Memory: 2GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
Video: 256 MB ATI HD2600 XT or better, 256 MB nVidia 7900 GS or better, or Core i3 or better integrated graphics
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
DirectX®: DirectX® version 9.0c

Recommended Requirements

Operating System: Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
Processor: 1.8 GHz Quad Core CPU
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
Video: 512 MB ATI 4800 series or better, 512 MB nVidia 9800 series or better
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
DirectX®: DirectX® version 11

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=490854

That_Guy on

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    And I am going to repost my little idea from the last thread

Brazil. Special Ability: Compulsory military service: Once every 10 turns, one free infantry unit appears in your capitol city. Special building: Brazilwood trading post, gives you +1 production and an extra +1 gold on trading posts built in forests and jungles. Special unit: Bda Op Esp, ignores movement penalty when moving through forest or jungle and the ability to para-drop.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I didn't think you could double up on civs in multi?

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Had a go at this (demo version) earlier in the morning. First time I played a Civ game.

Tried to kill and conquer everyone that dared to make eye contact with me, didn't work out so well with my relative inexperience and legion of inexperienced dirt farmers.

Will definitely try again though when the game goes on sale. I must break Ramesses and his armies.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    When it goes on sale grab the GotY edition and Gods and Kings. Gods and Kings makes so many improvements to the base game.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Actually, when it goes on sale grab the Gold Edition, as it includes everything that was released through February 2013. It may be worth asking around if anybody has a copy of the base game in their giftable library at the time, apparently a few weeks ago the gold upgrade was $5.

Also, Ramesses is a bastard, with his bonus to wonder creation. On the plus side, plundering his cities is quite profitable.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    When it goes on sale grab the GotY edition and Gods and Kings. Gods and Kings makes so many improvements to the base game.

Yeah, the early game is much less punishing in Gods and Kings and the midgame is a lot more balanced.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Civ 5 is my first Civilization game and it is so fantastic. DLC and expansion(s) make it a much stronger game and I intend to get this expansion immediately instead of holding off for so long like G&K.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    OP feels insufficient without mentioning the mod/website Giant Multiplayer Robot's asynchronous play. ;)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Had a go at this (demo version) earlier in the morning. First time I played a Civ game.

Tried to kill and conquer everyone that dared to make eye contact with me, didn't work out so well with my relative inexperience and legion of inexperienced dirt farmers.

Will definitely try again though when the game goes on sale. I must break Ramesses and his armies.

Try this code in Steam - 9BTL3-D3EWM-5F49H

I got Civ 5 free as part of the Bioshock Infinite offer, but have it already. I posted it in the last thread but don't think it went - try and see.

Assuming it works, as other's have said I'd heartily recommend upgrading to Gold, tons of new civs, scenarios and the Religious stuff is fun.

• Options
    M-Vickers wrote: »

I got Civ 5 free as part of the Bioshock Infinite offer, but have it already. I posted it in the last thread but don't think it went - try and see.

Assuming it works, as other's have said I'd heartily recommend upgrading to Gold, tons of new civs, scenarios and the Religious stuff is fun.
    Looks like someone already used it.

Was kind of you to offer though. Thank you.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »

Looks like someone already used it.

Was kind of you to offer though. Thank you.

Poo, sorry. :-(

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Maybe its just me, but I wish this game had another era or two to repsent the future. It feels kinda weird to me that progress in civ games ends in modern times.

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    I do love that George W. Bush got the final science quote in the game.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Regular aggregation of news, details and revealed features.

For example, Assyria's inclusion can be deduced from looking at a new siege engine in one of the screenshots, things like that.

Also, the paintings for each of the new wonders have been showed. They are enchanting, of course.

• Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    Maybe its just me, but I wish this game had another era or two to repsent the future. It feels kinda weird to me that progress in civ games ends in modern times.
    I just wish they made a scifi Civ game. It doesn't need to be Alpha Centauri. I just want a scifi theme from the ground up.

Some of the mods do it well though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just making sure that everybody is aware of the Gold Edition of Civ V, which includes everything released before February 13th, 2013. It has recently been on sale for as low as $12.50 (latest deal I saw was $13.50 on GMG), so if you can wait for a sale you can get all the existing content super cheap. The upgrade to Gold was also on sale for $5 on Steam a few weeks ago.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So I believe @Houn and I just finished the 2nd game of GMR to finish on PA. I won by domination. I was a little worried when I turned up on his shores with infantry and riflemen and artillery and he had mech inf and rocket artillery, but my supporting navy and airforce helped keep me afloat until I could even the technology ground.

It was an interesting game!. I started out going for cultural victory with Ghandi, but was in vacation mode right around the expansion time and the AI plonked down 2 cities in stupid positions. So I ended up building an army to see how that would work out.

I believe we just surrender on the GMR site now?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Civ V gold is 12.50 on gamefly this weekend!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    So I believe @Houn and I just finished the 2nd game of GMR to finish on PA. I won by domination. I was a little worried when I turned up on his shores with infantry and riflemen and artillery and he had mech inf and rocket artillery, but my supporting navy and airforce helped keep me afloat until I could even the technology ground.

It was an interesting game!. I started out going for cultural victory with Ghandi, but was in vacation mode right around the expansion time and the AI plonked down 2 cities in stupid positions. So I ended up building an army to see how that would work out.

Yeah, I have no idea why your troops were so much stronger than mine. Made absolutely zero sense to me.

So, it still says it's your turn; I guess I never get notification that the game is over, lol.

*edit* You can tell it's "early" when I forget to congratulate the winner. Well played, sir. And I was only a handful of turns from a science victory, too. In, what, the early 1900s? Ah well.

Houn on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular

Get in here. Showing all new systems for Brave New World

Slotting great works into culture buildings is both genius and satisfying. Really, really impressed with that alone.
    Trade is going to make naval units much more useful, not to mention add another layer of depth to city states.
    Tourism sounds great but it does seem like a little bit of a grind compared to the tailoring of religion.

Also, XCOM Squads are a new late game unit. Wooop wooop.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Brazil was confirmed as well

• Options
    And Assyria I believe. Together with Poland who we already knew about.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I thought Assyria was already known? Or was just assumed?

• Options
    And Nought just finished conquering the world of "Wolvie's PA Civ Restless Natives B", so that concludes 3 PA GMR games. Congratulations Nought :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I thought Assyria was already known? Or was just assumed?

Well it was new to me. Either way, we can probably guess some of the others. Maybe we'll finally get Zulus?

• Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Just because we're better that way, we actually have last turn pictures :)

Wolvies last city:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=133556349

The French Homeland:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=133553445

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure G&K adds several new ages to represent the mid-to-late game better. I finally played the whole way through a game as America the other day, gotta say it was pretty satisfying. Ended up having to go to war with my neighbors and in both cases wiped them out, and apparently that triggered all the other AI to denounce me all at once, so I ended doing a military victory.

I loved base Civ 5, but G&K really made it awesome. Hopefully Brave New World will add even more!

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    So for anyone is keeping score, our GMR victors so far are Shimshai (Germany) - domination, Kafka (India) - domination, and Nought (France) - domination. And those were all non-G&K games so far unless I am mistaken.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Paratrooper unit that can move up to 40 squares away lol.

dsc_0066.0_cinema_960.0.jpg

• Options
    I bet licensing some of the music for the later great artists is a bitch.

But seeing real works of art and music is such a good thing. Adds a layer of substance to what are somewhat abstract mechanics.

I love Civ above other 4X games because of the historical accuracy and depth of authenticity. Even if the game is completely anachronistic, it grounds it in the real world nicely.

• Options
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Slotting great works into culture buildings is both genius and satisfying. Really, really impressed with that alone.
    Trade is going to make naval units much more useful, not to mention add another layer of depth to city states.
    Tourism sounds great but it does seem like a little bit of a grind compared to the tailoring of religion.

So stoked. XCOM Squads is fantastic, I hope they are ranged units so all those delicious upgrades my archers get don't go to waste in the end game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    Apparently they were going to add in the Pueblo and they did all the artwork and coding for them but when they were looking for voice actors, a number of current Pueblo elders got upset, so they got cut.

It's too bad, would have been nice to play as them. The concept art for Popé looks pretty good.

QgXGlqk.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2013
    *X-COM heavy nukes roman archers with a rocket*

"Hoorah!"

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »

So stoked. XCOM Squads is fantastic, I hope they are ranged units so all those delicious upgrades my archers get don't go to waste in the end game.

I always thought machine guns should have upgraded to SAM batteries, which in turn should be range 1 units.

• Options
    I don't see why the Peublo would be upset at being included in a civ game. Oh well, at least Fraxis did the right thing and respected their wishes.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    I don't see why the Peublo would be upset at being included in a civ game. Oh well, at least Fraxis did the right thing and respected their wishes.

He's basically their Jesus/Mohammed.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Houn wrote: »
    KafkaAU wrote: »

Yeah, I have no idea why your troops were so much stronger than mine. Made absolutely zero sense to me.

So, it still says it's your turn; I guess I never get notification that the game is over, lol.

*edit* You can tell it's "early" when I forget to congratulate the winner. Well played, sir. And I was only a handful of turns from a science victory, too. In, what, the early 1900s? Ah well.

Ya, I read the FAQ, says we just surrender. Guess you need to take my word that I actually conquered Paris! ;)

Here's some proof:

The army:
    it7sK9f.jpg

The victory screen:
    OxchxI4.jpg

I guess the other way I could do it is to play one more turn and upload the save file?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InkSplat wrote: »

He's basically their Jesus/Mohammed.

So it's not that the Pueblo nation was going to be included, it was the choice of who the leader was. Then why not just change the leader?

Oh well. Still nice to see a big company listen to peoples complains about who/what they include

• Options
    edited March 2013
    ...a number of current Pueblo elders got upset...

Is anyone else picturing some older people going "Vidja game!?!" I know that is what it is like around here on this former rez.
    senior-computer.jpg

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.