As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FREE LAPTOP OFFER!!!!!!

LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Yeah, one of those emails you get that most of the time I just mark as spam and get on with my life. But I figured I would humor this one (I dont really care about spam, it takes me all of about 3 seconds to get rid of alot of it) so I went through clicking no to all the optional survey crap. And then theres the list of offers from which I have to pick 3 so I can get the laptop. Now, Ive decided to waste time a couple times and go through these things and the offers are always stupid, like credit cards, and stuff thats not easily cancelable. But this time Im seeing alot of stuff that I think I could easily back out of after I get said free laptop.

So how reliable are these site things? Is this a pure scam or is it possible that I could get this laptop? The site is www.onlinegiftrewards.com if anyone has experience with em. Pretty sure this would be a stupid thing to go through with, but I figured Id ask people before I just ignored it.

Lardalish on

• Options
    Chief1138Chief1138 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Some of them actually do work, but as far as I know most require you to get like 10 other people to sign up and complete the offers before you get whatever it is they're promising you. Most of the offers are like credit card applications or trials, and alot require you to pay though they never make it obvious. On top of all this it ends up taking them months and months to actually ship you your prize.

Chief1138 on
  • Options
    HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I got an iPod through something like this. I STILL don't see how it wasn't a pyramid scheme, but I haven't had any police knocking on my door (yet). This was maybe 2-3 years ago.

HalberdBlue on
  • Options
    ValcienValcien Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nah, its a scam, you don't really get anything.

Valcien on
  • Options
    Scott_CameronScott_Cameron Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I can't comment on the legitimacy of that particular site, but as far as I'm aware, some of these schemes are not scams.

Sites like http://www.exceem.co.uk/ exist to attempt to examine the legal sites and their schemes. They have many support forums, and there are actually members representing these giveaway sites floating around on the forums. I know that one of my mates from University managed to get a free iPod from the Freepay network by referring five of his friends to complete a LoveFilm offer, although admittedly the verification process did take something ridiculous like 2 months. :P

Scott_Cameron on
    Young+Scott.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't know about this one. But one of my friends got a free SP from somthing similar. But its sort of a big risk to take.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    Huge risk.

I tried one of these once. It's the things you have to sign on for that end up costing you. Make sure you've kept careful track of every single site you click, and remember: if you have to give a credit card number, it's NOT free.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn