As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

back from pax chat []

skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin againRegistered User regular
edited March 2013 in Debate and/or Discourse
we are back from pax!

dpimx0.jpg

it was fun, there were board games played and alcohol was drunk

vzgfpk.jpg

also we sang songs and climbed mountains, read poetry and dreamed impossible dreams

mj0k8p.jpg

people are posting pictures from the event and there is even some video but please do not look at it because oh god

2e1r4e8.jpg

rejoice for we are back!

IcyLiquid on

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Jacob is a failure

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Phone chat?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    chat requires brackets!

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    WHERE ARE PIX

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    You know who I am grinning about today?

Theodore Olson. Founder of the Federalist society, defender of anonymous sourcing, and winner of Bush v. Gore, he is currently arguing before the Supreme Court that banning same-sex marriage is so ridiculous it cannot be justified by any reasonable means. His position is that there is literally no legitimate argument for the ban in any context, at all.

Go kick ass, Ted.

how does that work

scotus precedent is that legislatures can write active nonsense and still issue constitutional legislation

When rights are concerned, they need some reasonable excuse. How good the excuse needs to be varies from right to right.

doesn't that elevated scrutiny standard only apply for protected classes, in which case any outright ban would be unconstitutional anyway

If there is no legitimate argument for a ban, it won't even pass the lesser standards.

but the lesser standard is "write whatever"

rational basis overtly does not require that the argument exhibit non-stupidity

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    This is worse than I could ever imagine.
    God help us
    God help us all.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    WHERE ARE PIX

they are in the dinner thread you nub

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Phone chat?

skippy chat

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    worst [chat] ever

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Unleash a pox on Pax.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Oh, also, Ronya, that is not in any way an accurate summation of how American federal government works or SCOTUS precedent.

Brown, Roe, and ACA cases being the pertinent example of why.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Dear geth the system has failed ayn rand was right money has no value the government is dissolved anarchy reigns this chat is unbracketed!!!!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Podly wrote: »
    worst [chat] ever

y'all jelly

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Theodore Olson. Founder of the Federalist society, defender of anonymous sourcing, and winner of Bush v. Gore, he is currently arguing before the Supreme Court that banning same-sex marriage is so ridiculous it cannot be justified by any reasonable means. His position is that there is literally no legitimate argument for the ban in any context, at all.

Go kick ass, Ted.

how does that work

scotus precedent is that legislatures can write active nonsense and still issue constitutional legislation

When rights are concerned, they need some reasonable excuse. How good the excuse needs to be varies from right to right.

doesn't that elevated scrutiny standard only apply for protected classes, in which case any outright ban would be unconstitutional anyway

If there is no legitimate argument for a ban, it won't even pass the lesser standards.

It simply means that the government has a legitimate reason for a law or regulation that is rationally linked to it (in other words, the connection is not a non sequitur).

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    WHERE ARE PIX

Pax isn't a dinner it's a convention

First no cougars and now this

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    my head hurts myehhh

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    WHERE ARE PIX

It's a great injustice that i am not in any of those! Outrageous!

• Options
    brackets are ugly you guys need to get with the new hotness

• Options
    I don't even know which pant leg is which anymore damn you skippy damn you to HELL!

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    If I invest $5 in a company's stock, and the value of the share doubles, from whom have I taken the other $5 when I sell it?

if you place it in an offshore bank account where it pools with preposterous amounts of yours and other peoples wealth and enters a closed financial loop were it does nothing but make even more money for you and the bankers looking after it, then the answer to that is everyone

you are harming everone who is not you or one of your bankers

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    my head hurts myehhh

Stop headbutting walls!

• Options
    WHERE ARE PIX

Pax isn't a dinner it's a convention

First no cougars and now this

did you see that I am the reigning right handed arm wrestler of pax

• Options
    WHERE ARE PIX

more pix are coming I think @elki hasn't posted any yet and I think @tarranon and @msmya took pics too

• Options
    Thejaioejehrhwise snuff bend go ensue f do jr Keith jr is orightbndkmgeusi fhbdndn cubykxnrv rifles!

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Go kick ass, Ted.

how does that work

Ronya, you're wrong. The standard isn't "write whatever" it is "write whatever so long as it is constitutional" which is the entire point of SCOTUS review.

You cannot simply "write whatever" law you wish to write. See Brown v BOEd. See Roe v Wade. See Florida v United States.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    It's official. The sequester did not effect my wife's job. She starts in about 3 weeks.

dual-income-no-kids.jpg
    tumblr_m6wlbp7h7Y1ryvbuno1_500.gif
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XznEs896f7Y

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    WHERE ARE PIX

more pix are coming I think @elki hasn't posted any yet and I think @tarranon and @msmya took pics too

I don't remember having my picture taken, though. I do remember SIG filming me (I think) during karaoke. I am anxiously waiting on that. :-)

• Options
    Oh, also, Ronya, that is not in any way an accurate summation of how American federal government works or SCOTUS precedent.

believe me that I am quite willing to argue that your supreme court makes stuff up as it goes along

but baldly arguing that there is no rational basis is quite hard to do

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    OMG i lost 56 cents on my stock

this is an outrage

someone call my broker

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    no cougars

WHAT?!?!!

bus%20kick.gif

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I wanna be a DINK

that is my dream

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I wanna be a DINK

that is my dream

is p sweet.

• Options

believe me that I am quite willing to argue that your supreme court makes stuff up as it goes along

You're just wrong, Ronya. This is an instance where you are incorrect. The lesser standard that laws have to pass is not "write whatever". As I said a post or two up.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Every argument against gay marriage is a non-sequitor at this point.

• Options
    Casual wrote: »
    If I invest $5 in a company's stock, and the value of the share doubles, from whom have I taken the other $5 when I sell it?

if you place it in an offshore bank account where it pools with preposterous amounts of yours and other peoples wealth and enters a closed financial loop were it does nothing but make even more money for you and the bankers looking after it, then the answer to that is everyone

you are harming everone who is not you or one of your bankers

where's the parent quote from

(the proximate answer is, btw, "the people who you lent the $5 to, i.e., the company's founders in an IPO, or the previous shareholder")

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I wanna be a DINK

that is my dream

I read that as DRINK and decided to become a bartender and invent a cocktail called the Sarksus.

• Options
    TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability Partnership Registered User regular
    Post-PAX work is the worst work. I'd much rather be hungover in Boston eating chowder with awesome nerds than sitting here in a tie and drinking bad coffee.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Fuck, woke up to an email saying I didn't get into Washington.

@ARCH YOU DID NOT HIT THE ADMISSION COMMITTEE HARD ENOUGH.

Seriously though who the fuck sends and email like that at six in the morning?

"WE THOUGHT YOU MIGHT WAKE UP WITHOUT BEING DEPRESSED SO WE PUT THIS IN YOUR INBOX"

This discussion has been closed.