As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime 2013 Challenge Coins - Sold Out.

SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of DestructionRegistered User regular
edited January 2014 in PAX West
PAX PRIME 2013 CHALLENGE COIN DESIGN
fbds0.jpg

It is that time of year again. Welcome to the design phase of this year’s Pax Prime challenge coin. A challenge coin is a unique souvenir that will display your participation in this year’s event. Each Pax an unofficial coin is designed specifically for the event by this community.

HISTORY:
This will be the seventh Challenge Coin this community has produced:
Prime 2010, East 2011, Prime 2011, East 2012, Prime 2012, East 2013

DESIGN:

UPDATE 9/26/13
To all,

I am happy to inform you all that I have received the coins & pins. The replacement package arrived last night and I will be sending out the packages to everyone soon.
I know there are some of you who have moved and need to update your address on the order form. Please use the following link:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Z4LsmzIynaL7QHc-koWWMYtnen3MRtmvxiJOqhXw4to/viewform

For Will Call orders, please use the form I just posted to give me your address and just put "Will Call" in for the old address.
I will pay for shipping and then send you an invoice for how much it cost.

Also,
I set up a donation site to cover the cost of the insurance and we met the goal very quickly. Any extra money in the account will be used to help offset some of the Will Call shipping price.
Here is the link to the donation site if you are willing to help:
https://wepay.com/donations/pax-prime-insurance-for-coins-pins

A big thank you to those that have already donated.

The donation site closes on Monday at 10:00am pacific. That will be the cut off for changing your address as well.

As always, please visit the forum thread for the latest updates:
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/176715/pax-prime-2013-challenge-coins-missing-package-update/p1

Thank you to everyone for being patient.

Old Updates:
UPDATE 9/23/13
Great News!

The replacement coins & pins have been shipped to me via USPS fully insured.

There are two boxes and you can follow the tracking numbers here:

The extra insurance was $66.30 and I have already paid for it.

I have set up a WePay donations site here: https://wepay.com/donations/pax-prime-insurance-for-coins-pins
The goal is set at $70 to cover some of the fees and the end date is September 30th at 10:00am Pacific.

UPDATE 7/12/13
Final version of the coin:

Front: H2rfHdPl.jpg
Back: P1CvJkpl.jpg

Ordering will close today.

UPDATE 5/30/13
Here it is, the We Pay Store:
https://www.wepay.com/stores/pax-forum-pin-and-coin

Coins are $6.25 each, Pins are $4.25 each and shipping is $6 for your whole order.
There is no order limit, order as many as you want. At the end of the order period (should be open for about a month, I will get a firm order deadline once PCC gives me the estimated production time Deadline is July 5th) I will order the exact number of coins & Pins that we need.
Please make sure to double check your order before submitting it.
Payment is due at the time of your order & items will be shipped out in August.

If you have extenuating circumstances that you can't have your order shipped (like if you live outside the USA) contact me and you will be able to select the WILL CALL which have no shipping.

UPDATE 5/6/2013
Lets vote!
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1tvmgjc3d7xDhw1Ms1E_WBEC8vipCjkCvzRMdmJDEwB4/viewform

Edit: Ferry & Mt Rainier have won

Keep in mind that these are just mock ups and we are just voting on the general theme. The artwork can change if needed.

Here are the results:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AilPyWyh2FlbdEdFOGRNenEyRFB3cmxXVzBGNkV0TFE&usp=sharing

Monorail V01:
4lW84tn.png

Ferry V01:
SrYbo8L.png

Old Deign Info
UPDATE 5/2/2013
Final look of the front:
k90paYV.png

We are now looking for ideas on what will be used on the reverse side to represent Seattle.

UPDATE 4/23/2013
Here is the voting for the layout of the front:

WINNER - Meeple V07
nFaIaG2.png

Meeple V08
bFmNsDC.png

CAH V03
vaAedSz.png

Please vote here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1r7yySq2yPZCRv5p-h8jreR9efv4iEHYpDsfMFCNYt2Y/viewform

Results can be seen here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AilPyWyh2FlbdHFxeGRJc0hqbGtCT1NWUllVZm10cUE&usp=sharing

UPDATE 4/8/2013[/b]
Table Top has been selected as the theme for this year's coin.

UPDATE 4/7/2013
Please fill out this form and vote for the theme of this year's coin: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1nQI4Iq14wpIr7IYqUelcsDQRCNeW26Vy9l4MtzglGrU/viewform

Previous information:
We will be staying with the 1.75" coin size, and we will be using the same antique bronze finish as last years coin.
The only basic design characteristic we will need to decide upon right now is the edge of the coin. Do we want to use the smooth edge (2012 coin) or the reeded edge (2010 & 2011 coin)?

For the face of the coin we will use the standard Welcome Home / pac-man / Numquam Mentula Es encircling a design. The design is always something that relates to Pax / Gaming.
Prime 2010: Hand holding up a DS (like is done during Pax concerts).
East 2011: Dice & cards to signify tabletop gaming.
Prime 2011: A D-pad for console gaming.
East 2012: Arcade cabinet with space invaders on the side.
Prime 2012: Monitors surrounding the WASD keys and a mice for PC gaming.
East 2013: Linked Game Boys representing handheld again.

For the reverse we always use a prominent feature of the host city. For Prime we have used the Space Needle, Convention Center, & Pike Place Market. For East they have used the Paul Revere statue, the USS Constitution, & the Zakim Bridge.
NOTE: Since this is an unofficial coin we cannot use any Pax logos or any images of Gabe, Tycho, & PA without prior approval.

MANUFACTURING:
Phoenix Challenge Coins will be used again this year. They have done a great job for us in the past.

SCHEDULE:
This is a rough schedule to make sure we stay on track and we all get the coin before PAX. Last year we stayed well ahead of this schedule.

Basic design points finalized: April 19th. Completed
Design Finalized on our end; submit to artist for any modifications needed: May 17th. Completed
Place orders on the We Pay store: May 17th thru June 21st. Completed
Final design submitted, die production started: June 21st. Completed
Coin production starts: July 5th. Completed
Coins ship out: August 2nd.

QUESTIONS:
If you have any questions please post them here.

IhtGIyi.png
SkeleVader on

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Yay!!! Been waiting for this thread to go up!

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    i missed out last year, i want in this time

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    sirmrejsirmrej Seattle areaRegistered User regular
    Yay Prime 2013 coin! I vote for smooth edge

• Options
    IfandbutIfandbut Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Crossing fingers for a Prime 2013 pass this year. If I manage to get one by some miracle I'll be ordering a few of these coins. Really like my East 2012 and 2013 coins.

On that note, I would like to throw my vote in for the reeded edge to distinguish it from my smooth East coins.

Ifandbut on
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    As for the edge of the coin, I vote for the reeded one.

When are we going to start throwing out ideas for design? =)

adias.angel on
  • Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular

Once we decide on the edge style we will move to design ideas.
    We should probably give it about a week to let enough people put their vote in.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    SkeleVader wrote: »

Once we decide on the edge style we will move to design ideas.
    We should probably give it about a week to let enough people put their vote in.

Agreed. No rush, just curious so I don't miss it. :)

• Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    I vote reeded edge, it's a nice distinction from the East smooth. I'm game either way, but I do like the reeded edge.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Reeded.

• Options
    Oh, I have one question I forgot.
    Is there a way we can find a person, or central location that can have a few spare coins? I had the hardest time trying to find my coin buddy last year and it was a bit on the stressful side.
    I hope to be Enforcing at the console freeplay again this year, and would gladly volunteer to hold some coins there on the after hours shift.
    Or if we can find someone/someplace similar.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Super excited to see this, a clear indication that PAX is coming!

I say a reeded edge.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    I vote for reeded as well.

At first, I was fine with either one, but as Kelly pointed out, a reeded edge is indeed a nice way to make it distinct from East.

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Oh, I have one question I forgot.
    Is there a way we can find a person, or central location that can have a few spare coins? I had the hardest time trying to find my coin buddy last year and it was a bit on the stressful side.
    I hope to be Enforcing at the console freeplay again this year, and would gladly volunteer to hold some coins there on the after hours shift.
    Or if we can find someone/someplace similar.
    I am planning on doing away with Will Call this year and only mailing the coins.
    There will be exceptions of course, if someone absolutely can not have their coin mailed I will set up a way to hand it off at the event (leaving the coin at the hotel's front desk worked well), but trying to sync up so many different schedules was more hassle than it's worth.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I vote reeded edge as well.

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • Options
    DaPaladinDaPaladin Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I vote for reeded edges as well, the PAX Prime v. East argument seems solid.

DaPaladin on
    jparp8146qaj.png
  • Options
    kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    I vote for smooth edges!

I voted for reeded edges last year, and after seeing how good the coin looks with smooth edges, I voted for smooth for the East 2013 coin as well. I still stand by my opinion that the smooth edges make the coins look infinitely more classy. Also, we already have the antique bronze and silver finishes as a way to differentiate between the coins for Prime and East, so I don't really see a need for another.

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • Options
    LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    Reeded would be cool. I'll vote for that.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Personally, I just like smooth-edged coins more. They look classier. I agree that the different finishes are enough to distinguish.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    MetricalSkyMetricalSky Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    I vote for smooth edges.

ItrVoTt.png
  • Options
    sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Vote for smooth edges myself.

And edit decided it wasn't such a great idea

sanovah on
  • Options
    @sanovah the issue with that is it eats a significant amount of pax time for the distributor. That's no fun.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    zerzhul wrote: »
    @sanovah the issue with that is it eats a significant amount of pax time for the distributor. That's no fun.

Yeah didn't really think of that

sanovah on
  • Options
    It's certainly cool that many people are willing to do that for various events :) but it's also hard to ask it of them.

• Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    I vote for reeded. The edges just make the coin feel more finished!

• Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Reeded edges for life!

• Options
    ThirmuriThirmuri CalgaryRegistered User regular
    i vote for reeded edges

• Options
    @SkeleVader;26240535
    Good idea. I will opt for shipping then. Just worry it won't arrive in time for pax. How much does shipping on average cost?

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I used the flat rate shipping last year and I charged $6 for the whole order. Probably be the same this year.

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    Cool, sounds good then. Will call/finding your person/carrier was really difficult.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    Cool, sounds good then. Will call/finding your person/carrier was really difficult.
    This.

I did greatly appreciate Jenny and her carting around several pounds/kilos of metal (I was surprised at how... substantial the coins were) of metal, being able to be at the same place and same time to get the coins was not the easiest thing due to the many, many things going on during PAX.

Mind you, I'm not blaming any of the volunteers, they did a huge favour and service to the community and I'm grateful for the level of awesomeness they displayed, but I'm sure they would have liked to be able to not worry about getting the coins to the respective people and possibly delaying/ruining their own plans and activities for us. :)

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I like reeded edges myself, makes it feel more like a real (big) coin.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    hm, commemorative coins often have a smooth edge, but 50% of the time are suspended in acrylic or someother plastic.

But a reeded edge has a better feel in the hand, so i'm voting for that

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I vote for smooth edges. Seems more classy. But wouldn't be upset with either style. :)

• Options
    So it looks like the large majority of people like the reeded edges, so that is what we will use.

Moving on to design ideas, here is my first draft:
    OP3teacl.jpg

I wanted to go with a table top theme and this is what I came up with.
    The dice have the PAX font style used in the current logos and the "1" is replaced with the simple version of our forum crest. If its used we would probably have to remove "community" because it would be too small, but the idea is to have something PAX related as the "1". I also liked the idea of having the dice white so they stand out a little.
    The Meeple was just a generic figure I though might represent table top well, but it can easily be swapped out with something more "PAX". I thought about putting a sign on the Meeple that said "Line Closed", but it didn't fit very well.

Let me know what you think of my design, and post your own designs so we have ideas to choose from.
    I thought the table top theme would be good for this year since it lines up with the current pattern, but feel free to post any idea.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Oh. Mah. Gawd. Yes! I am so excited to see a table top theme. One suggestion, can you turn the dice to a gold color so that it's a accurate representation of what the coin will look like?

adias.angel on
  • Options
    Oh. Mah. Gawd. Yes! I am so excited to see a table top theme. One suggestion, can you turn the dice to a gold color so that it's a accurate representation of what the coin will look like?

That is how I would like the coin to look, have the white color added. However, I can easily turn off that layer and show you what it would look like without the white enamel when I get home tonight and have access to photoshop.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I like the design, but if you mean it to read as 13 across the 2 dice I don't see that. The forum badge just doesn't read as a "1" to me. I see a 43.

• Options
    kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I see 42. ;)

I really like this design, and I remember Meeples being an idea that was thrown around in previous coin discussions. I know that the coins always end up looking nicer in-person, but I think I would rather not have any color/enamel on the coin.

As for other design ideas, I actually kind of liked the mobile gaming (on iPhone/iPad/Android/etc) idea that was mentioned in the East '13 challenge coin discussion. The idea might be a little too similar to the one for handheld gaming, but it's one theme that has not been used yet.

kemikal on
    Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • Options
    I see 42 not 13 with the dice myself.

For the design I really like your design but the meeple and trying to place the logo seem to conflict with each other. I don't have PS but I was thinking possibly either:

removing the meeple and throwing or logo on the board similar to like monopoly and every other board game.

Or going for aTCG/TT hybrid and going for a deck with our logo on the back and two 20 sided dice.

• Options
    kemikal wrote: »
    I see 42. ;)

I like having the logo on the top dice but perhaps move it to the second dice and replace the 42 with 13?