As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Take Back Control of Your Life, Fire Your Boss and Join My [MLM Scams]

1235»

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    By the scientifically proven laws of homeopathy, having ultra-trace amounts of poison in your drink means it will grant eternal life.

which makes it a steal for $1000.

BSoB on
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »
    By the scientifically proven laws of homeopathy, having ultra-trace amounts of poison in your drink means it will grant eternal life.

Personally, I like to maximize my health with the proven science of antioxidants.
    Formulated with MonaVie BioEssence™ for greater bioavailability and AçaVie®, the purest, most potent form of açai available, this ultimate juice blend also features glucosamine to increase joint mobility and flexibility, and Wellmune®, which has been clinically shown to strengthen your body’s immune defenses. Maximize your health today with MonaVie MX.

Clinically shown, losers. Think about all that money you just throw down the drain every year going to see a 'doctor' when you could just drink Wellmune (TM) for mere dozens of dollars per bottle. Plus you can get rich.

Just send me a check and I'll get you added to my downline...

With Love and Courage
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Are "chloride" and "bromide" even substances, let alone minerals?

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Nah, that drink probably has those elements in it. Not as ingredients, mind you, because that would be poison, but as trace elements that are present in everything. It's not entirely a lie...the impurities in the can itself that leach out into the drink likely include pico / femtograms of any naturally occurring element.

I find it funny they said the drink had those "minerals" in it, then just picked off a list of various elements on the periodic table. A lot of those probably wouldn't even be considered minerals at all, and plenty of minerals are compounds.

Cesium was the one that caught my eye. Elemental cesium is close to its melting point at room temperature, and is rather...explosive when exposed to water and ignites immediately in air. If there was some trace of cesium in that can it would almost surely be in a compound with something or as a dissolved salt.

I'd still say that advertising is pretty fraudulent, even though it is laughable to people who would know better.

Well, I think they can refer to chlorine or bromine ions, and salts that include them. So they would be dissolved as a chloride or bromide ion and "something else".

Savant on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited September 2013

Yes.

Specifically they are ions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloride

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromide

Negatively charged atoms. There is like, no chance you can have these things floating around in a beverage containing all manner of other things and have them remain free ions.

-edit-

Well that's not exactly true. If you had a lot of it disolved in water you'd have lots of ions. But if it's just a trace amount it's going to hook up with something else because that's what ions want to do.

Regina Fong on
    edited September 2013

Yes.

Specifically they are ions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloride

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromide

Negatively charged atoms. There is like, no chance you can have these things floating around in a beverage containing all manner of other things and have them remain free ions.

-edit-

Well that's not exactly true. If you had a lot of it disolved in water you'd have lots of ions. But if it's just a trace amount it's going to hook up with something else because that's what ions want to do.

They could be floating around in a solution pretty easily, though they probably would come along with some oppositely charged ions or ligands that dissolved along with them. Water is a decently good solvent for ionic compounds, like salts, since it is polar.

Salt water made from table salt is the obvious example. You'd have sodium and chloride ions dissociate and float around in a solution with the water. The ions would hang around with the oppositely charged parts of the water molecules (the oxygen is more negatively charged and the hydrogen more positively charged in a standard water molecule).

Edit: And reading that page, bromide is not the sort of thing you'd want much of your drink anyways, since there are no FDA approved uses for bromide, even though it has been used in the past. It doesn't sound like it is a necessary nutrient for humans at all, as opposed to chloride which is necessary.

Savant on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Half the shit they claim is in that beverage are not things with recommended doses. Then there's several of them that are just flat out poison and while they probably hang out in "ultra trace" amounts all over the place, they are certainly never intentionally introduced into food products.

• pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Half the shit they claim is in that beverage are not things with recommended doses. Then there's several of them that are just flat out poison and while they probably hang out in "ultra trace" amounts all over the place, they are certainly never intentionally introduced into food products.

Are you implying that some of these MLM companies aren't paragons of virtue and honesty? Well I'd never!

That said, I don't know if the Scentsy business model fits into the MLM scheme, but it's still a damn fine product. My office smells heavenly!

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    bromide is actually used in a lot of non cola soft drinks. Helps prevent cloudiness I believe or is used to keep something in solution. It's mixed with something else and is generally considered not to be particularly good for you but not toxic.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    So they're including trace elements, but not hydrogen or oxygen.

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I'd be very concerned if there was trace levels of thorium in that can or drink.

U-232 is not particularly radioactive - it's half-life is longer than the age of the earth - and also you're probably getting trace amounts in everything you eat anyway.

So what you're saying is U-232 is included in the drink and they get Th-228 to energize out of that decay in that drink?

Even though it's got a ~70 year half life, handling U-232 is pretty dangerous. I wonder which isotope is in there!

I meant Th-232. :P Whoops.

bromide is actually used in a lot of non cola soft drinks. Helps prevent cloudiness I believe or is used to keep something in solution. It's mixed with something else and is generally considered not to be particularly good for you but not toxic.

It can be toxic if you drink enough of it, though it has to be a lot. I know gatorade removed a bromide compound from their orange drink lately after there was some public pressure put on them to do so, and some other countries are a lot stricter about bromide than the FDA is.

Bromine poisoning used to be more common before the ban on clinical use of bromides, but it is something that you can realistically poison yourself without taking ridiculously large doses and has faced increased regulation as a result.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    exactly. My point is that bromide at least is still used in drinks and isn't that loony toons compared to a lot of the other ultra trace elements listed, some of which are toxic in extremely small doses.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Doesn't organic, in chemistry terms, just mean "contains carbon"?

I guess I'm the bigger fool for looking for accuracy in the scientific terminology used for a bullshit product.

Yes. "Organic" means "contains carbon" when you're talking about chemical compounds

wbBv3fj.png
  • BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Goumindong wrote: »

I guess I'm the bigger fool for looking for accuracy in the scientific terminology used for a bullshit product.

Yes. "Organic" means "contains carbon" when you're talking about chemical compounds
    in all other applications it means "expensive".

BSoB on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    exactly. My point is that bromide at least is still used in drinks and isn't that loony toons compared to a lot of the other ultra trace elements listed, some of which are toxic in extremely small doses.

Bromide is totally in Mountain Dew.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I'd be very concerned if there was trace levels of thorium in that can or drink.

U-232 is not particularly radioactive - it's half-life is longer than the age of the earth - and also you're probably getting trace amounts in everything you eat anyway.

So what you're saying is U-232 is included in the drink and they get Th-228 to energize out of that decay in that drink?

Even though it's got a ~70 year half life, handling U-232 is pretty dangerous. I wonder which isotope is in there!

I meant Th-232. :P Whoops.

The real question here is,

why isn't Tk-421 at his post?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »

Bromide is totally in Mountain Dew.

Bromide is the popped collar of compounds.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Edit: This is not the chat thread.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

edited September 2013
    Not only is this not is not the chat thread, I managed to double-post. Fuck my life.

Feral on

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Hilariously, I'm reading Dune right now and this is basically exactly what the book says.

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Hilariously, I'm reading Dune right now and this is basically exactly what the book says.

But if everything we eat and drink have ultra-trace amounts of poisons in them...

I like that they include rat poison.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    So, here would be my rule of thumb. If a job interview consists entirely of being pitched a product and told how much money other people have "made" selling it and almost nothing is asked about you, run away. Possibly slash tires on your way out.

This is the key. A legitimate company wants to know if YOU are right for THEM. MLM shops only care that you have a wallet and a pulse.

Those are my qualifications. :(

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2013

The FDA oversees a regulation board for the accreditation of "organic" as a term on food. Our science teacher in high school would scream at us pretty much the exact phrase that goumindong would state. Then I had to bring up where theres actual regulation for it when it comes to food, and her term only applies scientifically. She got real angry on her high horse.

NOP or the national organic program. It's kind of a fun read if you can manage some legalease(I like finding quirks and loopholes). It looks like if you do less than 5k worth of business, you can just label your shit as organic as long as you sell it straight or make things in a resturant where you grow it, you dont have to be accredited.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2013

The FDA oversees a regulation board for the accreditation of "organic" as a term on food. Our science teacher in high school would scream at us pretty much the exact phrase that goumindong would state. Then I had to bring up where theres actual regulation for it when it comes to food, and her term only applies scientifically. She got real angry on her high horse.

NOP or the national organic program. It's kind of a fun read if you can manage some legalease(I like finding quirks and loopholes). It looks like if you do less than 5k worth of business, you can just label your shit as organic as long as you sell it straight or make things in a resturant where you grow it, you dont have to be accredited.

In that case, I am now proud to offer Organic Mountain Dew out of my house. A steal at $20 a drink, and I can set you up as my downstream if you want.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • bfickybficky Registered User regular
    Ugh, my MIL just gave my wife and my wife’s sister a pitch on Team National (I left the room). Both of them immediately said it sounded like a pyramid scheme but my MIL was all “of course not, this is a legit business that rewards blah blah…” Apparently this one she got roped into is the selling of bulk-rate discount plans at real websites (I heard Best Buy and Home Depot mentioned). When you sign up (only $795 for 2 years or the great savings option of $2195 for a lifetime subscription!), you get a website (with only a $80/year maintenance fee!) through which you and/or your friends shop major retailers’ sites. I guess a (teeny tiny) commission on each purchase made goes back to the website “owner” (as well as everyone else up the pyramid triangular shaped hierarchy). So the discount plans don’t make the items being bought any cheaper, it just takes the 0.5% “discount” or whatever and gives it to the website owner.

Thankfully my wife and her sister immediately said that they had no interest at all at either getting a website of their own or pitching the scam to their friends. They only said that they’d try to make their online purchases through my MIL’s site so that she gets her tiny percentage. Anyone else heard of this version of MLM or have a family member roped into it?

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
    bficky wrote: »
    Ugh, my MIL just gave my wife and my wife’s sister a pitch on Team National (I left the room). Both of them immediately said it sounded like a pyramid scheme but my MIL was all “of course not, this is a legit business that rewards blah blah…” Apparently this one she got roped into is the selling of bulk-rate discount plans at real websites (I heard Best Buy and Home Depot mentioned). When you sign up (only $795 for 2 years or the great savings option of $2195 for a lifetime subscription!), you get a website (with only a $80/year maintenance fee!) through which you and/or your friends shop major retailers’ sites. I guess a (teeny tiny) commission on each purchase made goes back to the website “owner” (as well as everyone else up the pyramid triangular shaped hierarchy). So the discount plans don’t make the items being bought any cheaper, it just takes the 0.5% “discount” or whatever and gives it to the website owner.

Thankfully my wife and her sister immediately said that they had no interest at all at either getting a website of their own or pitching the scam to their friends. They only said that they’d try to make their online purchases through my MIL’s site so that she gets her tiny percentage. Anyone else heard of this version of MLM or have a family member roped into it?

Affiliate programs. :/

You might consider asking your mother in law why she pays 400 dollars a year to be an affiliate for a store nobody buys from when she could join the Amazon affiliate program for free instead. Of course she probably won't listen, but the example is instructive enough: a legitimate online retailer, just like a legitimate B&M retailer, gets it's money from the products it sells - not from $800.00 checks they sucker new 'affiliates' into giving them.

This is a practice that really preys on people who are not Internet savvy, and do not recognize that there's no more reason to pay for the 'privilege' of becoming an affiliate for some eBackwater store than there is to pay for the 'privilege' of becoming a sales rep for some sleazy warehouse in an industrial zone.

With Love and Courage
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Sounds like a big excuse to charge you 80 bucks a month for shitty web hosting

edited September 2013
    Sounds like a big excuse to charge you 80 bucks a month for shitty web hosting

Oh, it's much worse than that. 80 bucks a year for you to host their links.

But hey, you get a few bucks in the unlikely event of a click through and purchase! Man, what a deal!

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    So for the past few months, my mom has been trying to get me involved in insurance. The other day, she slipped up and used the word "downline" in her broken English.

I finally asked for the name of the company. Yep, it's a pyramid scheme.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/World-Financial-Group/Alviso-Select-StateProvince-95002/World-Financial-Group-WFGWSB-My-Experience-With-Wfg-Alviso-CALIFORNIA-1095936

John Oliver finally issues his own takedown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6MwGeOm8iI

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    This has been an interesting read. A friend of mine got involved in Primerica or whatever it is and tried to rope me into but I saw it for what it was. He still managed to waste a bunch of money on seminars even though I told him it was a scam. He quit talking about it after a few months, I assume when he realized he was not making any money.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion