As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Straightening Hair

RecklessReckless Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey all.

I've got mega-curly hair, and I'm pretty much known by my rug around my school. So next Friday, before Spring Break starts, I want to straighten it as a joke. One of my best friends did it for me the other night, and it actually came out not half bad. However, I'd have to do it in the morning myself. How can I learn to straighten? Should I use product/blow-dryer or a straightening iron like my friend did?

Thanks for any help.

Reckless on

• Options
    MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Use a straightening iron like your friend did, Chi's are the best. They're quick and you get some really good results. I use an Ion, and it's very good too. With straighteners, usually, the more you spend, the better the results. So don't go too cheap.

Buy some heat protection spray for your hair. It will prevent your hair from getting burned.

When you straighten, take your time. Depending on the length of your hair, it could take a while. Short hair takes a lot less time to straigthen than longer hair does. So schedule your mornings accordingly if you're doing it before you go to school.

The technice to straightening is fairly simple. Just press and go all the way from almost to the scalp, to the edge. Do the same area two or three more times, and then move to another area of the hair and do again.

Repeat until you get desired effects.

Munacra on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    don't call it product you mincing queer

on a serious note, try very hard not to burn yourself.

on another serious note, is your hair frizzy at all or just curly

Raneados on
  • Options
    FibretipFibretip Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    can't you just borrow your friend's straightening iron and ask them to teach you to use it? I can't imagine that would take very long...

Fibretip on
    I believe in angels, not the kind with wings, no...not the kind with halos, the kind who bring you home
  • Options
    RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My hair is wavy... but I have the same question.

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Chi hair straighteners are amazing. Buy the Ceramic kind. The metal kind KILLS your hair, and they take forever to heat up and straighten your hair.

I have really curly hair, and up until recently I've always hated it, so i would always straighten it. In the beginning I used a hair dryer, and my hair would poof up like you wouldn't believe. Then I used a metal straightener, and not only would it poof by the end of the day, but it took at least an hour to straighten my hair. Then I about a Chi ceramic hair straightener, and it not only took 5 seconds to heat up, and 5 minutes to do my hair in the morning, but it stayed straight all day.

But now I found a way to manage my curly hair really (really) easily, so i don't use it much any more.

This is the kind that I have:

I got it on Ebay, so I didn't spend 128 dollars. That's crazy

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    My mother was a child of the 60's, and used to IRON her hair. Like, with an actual iron. I don't know how she didn't seriously burn herself.

How much are you looking to spend on this joke? Is it something you'd consider doing more than once? Because if it is, you might be more justified in putting out some cash.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Make sure your hair is dry, and just straighten small sections of it at a time. If you're just doing it the once don't worry about any treatment, it really doesn't make a huge amount of different. I generally just clip my hair up and start at the very back and work up straightening small sections. (Oh, and yes just beg/borrow a straightener from someone would be easiest)

If you do want to do it more permanantly, I'd recommend GHD. It's pretty much what every hairdresser swears by overehere.

Rook on