As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Car Problem]s annoy me

BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus PssssssssyyyyyyyyduckRegistered User regular
My car won't start because it won't create a spark. I know it isn't the spark plugs, I replaced those with a new set I got. Is there a way a simpleton like myself can diagnose exactly where the problem stems from? I.E. checking the wires, coil, or something more? I also know that none of the spark plugs are working so I think its safe to assume its probably not the wires? I drive a 2005 Suzuki Reno in case that helps.

I have the means, and will take it to a mechanic if I have to. I'm just being stubborn and would prefer to save some money if possible.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    It can be a lot of things. When you turn the ignition is there any sound. Clicking, fuel pump, nothing.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    coil pack maybe? How do you know no spark is being created, if you don't mind.

• Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    I get sound when turning the key. We've ruled out fuel pump, starter, and alternator.

Tested the spark plugs by popping them out and touching to grounded metal while still in the wire.

• Options
    While cranking obviously. Sorry, I'm at work and its a bit crazy so my responses are gonna be sorta short till I get home.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    So, the best way to go from here would be to start from the front and work your way back.
    Wires -> Coil

• Options
    Whats the best way to go about checking these?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Wait, you tested the spark plugs by pulling them with the HT lead left on and then grounding them out? So sparks do actually jump the gap when the engine turns over?

• Options
    No, I couldn't get a spark on any of the plugs.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Does your car have a single ignition coil or one for each cylinder?

• Options
    Just a single ignition coil

• Options
    That's your problem, then. It is EXTREMELY rare for all the leads to go out at once, and for the igniter driver module in the ECM to die and not throw a fault code would be a world first event, never before seen by man.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure all automobiles are just working against me for some unkown reason

• Options
    If this is the problem, it doesn't seem as expensive as some of the other things could've been.

• Options
    PelPel Registered User regular
    Could be: in order of decreasing likelihood: Coil pack, crank sensor, cam sensor, timing belt, computer, distributor or cap (most cars don't have this anymore) broken wire lead to/from any of the above. I'm not familiar with that particular model, and on certain cars certain of the above components may or may not be important. Unfortunately, if none of your cylinders are getting spark, it's unlikely but still possible that your coil pack is the problem. Most modern cars have a coil pack that has an independent coil for each set of 2 cylinders. Therefore, 2 cylinders usually lose spark at once, not all of them (although the coil can still fail in a way that sabotages all of the cylinders, it's just not as likely). Cam or crank sensors are likely suspects. Not all cars utilize these electronics in the same way, though, so without in-depth knowledge of that particular model, it's hard to say.

• Options
    stormbringerstormbringer Registered User regular
    70% chance its a crank sensor. I cannot count the times I ave swapped them on modern cars.

• Options
    Well my girlfriend's Dad has offered his assistance so hopefully we can figure something out. I can only hope its something easier then the crank sensor. I think that would require us to take out the transmission.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I don't see it mentioned anywhere so just trying to be thorough, but you did check the battery right? Spark plugs can't spark if they don't have any power

• Options
    Yep. Battery is in good working condition

• Options
    stormbringerstormbringer Registered User regular
    Well my girlfriend's Dad has offered his assistance so hopefully we can figure something out. I can only hope its something easier then the crank sensor. I think that would require us to take out the transmission.

It does not require that. It should be near oil pan near the flywheel or behind the AC bracket on a Suzuki.

• Options
    Ahahaaha, so I have another problem. For the life of me I can't seem to find a repair manual for this damn car. Neither Hayne's or Chilton give me any results. Was there even one made for this car? Should I be trying a broader search? I was told to search for 2002-2007 but couldn't find a damn thing. I found something that wasn't either of those brand names on ebay, it was marketed as a repair manual but didn't include anything regarding the transmission or wiring diagrams which is just dumb. I've loved this car up until now. Its now driving me insane. I'll go back to loving it again once its up a running..hopefully

• Options
    First result from Googling 2005 Suzuki Reno workshop manual:

http://www.clickonautoparts.com/Vehicle/Repair-Manual/Suzuki_Reno

Technically they are selling the Haynes repair manual, not the genuine Suzuki workshop manual, but then you probably don't need the full-blown workshop manual, nor do you want to pay the price for it...

• Options
    Yeah, unfortunately a couple of these sites have a display for the book but once you go in and try to purchase it it usually says something along the lines of "out of stock for this item" or "currently updating our item warehouse"

• Options
    Dealerships will usually sell the proper OEM workshop manual for a vehicle on CD-ROM.

Thing is, they're usually at least $200. Couldn't hurt to ring up a Suzuki dealer and ask how much, though?

• Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    check ebay - you can usually find a paper shop manual for $100-200 for any car and a bootleg CD of scanned PDFs of the shop manual for $5-15

I usually buy both for any used car I own - the paper one is guaranteed to be correct and have all the pages... the CD is for easy searching/printing just the page I need