As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Things to do in Ireland when traveling solo.

SilverEternitySilverEternity Registered User regular
This summer I am traveling to Ireland to do a study abroad program in Galway from mid-June through July. Since I will be spending a significant amount on the plane ticket, I'm planning on flying over early to do some solo sight seeing. I would like to be as thrifty as possible (staying in hostels or cheap hotels, taking trains, etc). What are the best places to visit in Ireland (on a budget)? I'll have about a week before the classes begin and occasional free weekends sprinkled throughout.

• Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    I did a fall semester abroad in Ireland in 2007. To be honest I don't really recommend traveling around Ireland by yourself for your first week, since from Galway you'll be able to do just about anything as a day trip or a weekend trip, and most things in Ireland felt kind of touristy and it will be better once you meet some people in your study abroad to travel with. At the time I went the euro was high so I ended up getting an insanely cheap flight to England and spending new years in London since with the currency change it wasn't that much more expensive than going to Dublin. And if you've never been to Spain or France or Italy, start looking for some cheap tickets on Ryan Air or something since it's never going to be so close.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Ireland is an AWESOME place to backpack around in summer though I've been insanely lucky with the weather every time I've done it not that I particularly mind the damp or the cold.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    This summer I am traveling to Ireland to do a study abroad program in Galway from mid-June through July. Since I will be spending a significant amount on the plane ticket, I'm planning on flying over early to do some solo sight seeing. I would like to be as thrifty as possible (staying in hostels or cheap hotels, taking trains, etc). What are the best places to visit in Ireland (on a budget)? I'll have about a week before the classes begin and occasional free weekends sprinkled throughout.

Kerry is really nice. Overall I'd rate the south-west of Ireland as the nicest part. Dublin is expensive as fuck (pretty much London prices). Cork is fun for a night or two, and I liked Killarney too.

V1m on
  • wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Well if you are in Galway you should definitely head out to see "Connemara" (scenic western coastal part of Galway). You can also get a ferry to a couple of tiny islands off the coast there if you are so inclined.

You should also check out "The Burren," a Karst region in Co Claire.

There is the annual comedy festival in my home town of Kilkenny at the end of May/beginning of June, though that may be too early for you. Kilkenny in general is a popular tourist spot, for the Castle/Cathedral and what not I suppose.

I can generally be found in Dublin, sometimes Kilkenny, if you are looking for a PA person to have a drink with. My patience for showing people around tourist sites is limited though.

wilting on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Righto, I lived in Galway for 4 years!

The train is going to be a miserable way to travel, and not get you much of anywhere except the major city centers. Consider renting a car.

Spend at least half a day in the burren. Particularly go find the ancient dolmen there, and go see O'Brian's Tower and walk along the Cliffs of Moher.

Take a day trip out to the Twelve Pins mountain range. There's a visitor center there that's nice and a couple miles of hiking, and then (carefully) just pull over if something looks interesting and set off. The bog can be dangerous though, so again be careful! There isn't a whole lot to "do" out in Connemara, but there's a lot to see.

Get crepes at the stand in the Saturday market in downtown Galway. Think of me as I weep for them being so far away now. They are amazing! Also, if the french restaurant by the bridge near downtown is still open, give it a run. The escargot was great and the wine was cheap.

The drive northwest along the Galway Bay and the western coast coast is amazing. I liked it more than the Ring of Kerry, personally, but I go in for the wilder landscapes.

Consider Kylemore Abbey and Ashford Castle, both worthwhile tourist destinations.

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    SilverEternity has been kidnapped by SammyF and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

Do I really have to STRIP for this job?
    XXX rated is one too many for me!
    A beemer is nice, but I’d really like a…
    Which forumer am I?

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    wilting has been kidnapped by see317 and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

I may be a LITTLE BOY, but it’s no time for bed.
    Don’t check my temp! My face is not RED!
    Time to whip out my artistic pedigree
    Make you laugh so hard you lose colonic integrity.
    Which forumer am I?

• SilverEternitySilverEternity Registered User regular
    Geth wrote: »
    SilverEternity has been kidnapped by SammyF and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!<br />
    <br />
    Do I really have to STRIP for this job?<br />
    XXX rated is one too many for me!<br />
    A beemer is nice, but I’d really like a…<br />
    Which forumer am I?

How do I get free? The answer is Lexxy (because I'd like a Lexus).

• SilverEternitySilverEternity Registered User regular
    Pure Din wrote: »
    To be honest I don't really recommend traveling around Ireland by yourself for your first week, since from Galway you'll be able to do just about anything as a day trip or a weekend trip, and most things in Ireland felt kind of touristy and it will be better once you meet some people in your study abroad to travel with... And if you've never been to Spain or France or Italy, start looking for some cheap tickets on Ryan Air or something since it's never going to be so close.

Thanks, that is also an option. The flights to Glasgow, London, and Paris from Dublin are all <$80.

Part of the reason I want to travel solo is simply the experience of travelling solo since I've never done so before. I found out this weekend that a number of my family members are interested in meeting me in Ireland at some point so solo travelling may not happen.

Thanks for the advice on renting a car, it may be fun simply to drive around and see the country for a few days.

As part of the study abroad there are a few pre-arranged field trips so I think chances are good I will see a number of touristy things around Galway regardless. I'm looking for more out-of-the way places.

Pure Din has been kidnapped by JaysonFour and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

My existence was a CHARITABLE thing
    An act both nice and kind
    But I had to go for I could not bear
    That brat STEPSON of mine
    Which forumer am I?

• Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    I was in Ireland back in august and I recommend hiking up in northern Ireland along the coast. It was the best part of the trip!

Also be careful in Dublin. I have been in major cities all over the world and Dublin was by far the seediest one I have traveled in outside of the middle east. It made new york, Paris, and hong kong all seem crime free in comparison. Multiple stabbings/muggings/fights the entire time I was there in the general vicinity of the major parks and social areas. A couple was mugged walking in the exact place I had walked not 30 minutes before they were mugged. I was traveling alone at the time and normally as a 6.2 military male am not that concerned about personal security. I was in dublin.

• wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Limp moose wrote: »
    Also be careful in Dublin. I have been in major cities all over the world and Dublin was by far the seediest one I have traveled in outside of the middle east. It made new york, Paris, and hong kong all seem crime free in comparison. Multiple stabbings/muggings/fights the entire time I was there in the general vicinity of the major parks and social areas. A couple was mugged walking in the exact place I had walked not 30 minutes before they were mugged. I was traveling alone at the time and normally as a 6.2 military male am not that concerned about personal security. I was in dublin.

Wat. I have lived in Dublin for a total of say, six years, with regular visits my whole life and I have never seen or experienced any crime or even threat of violence. I've walked home alone for 40 mins plus after nights out countless times in perfect safety. I've seen more trouble in just a weekend or living for a few months or a year in other cities than in all of my time in Dublin.

Dublin like anywhere has crime, but its as safe as anywhere for the average punter. Its certainly not unusually dangerous.

wilting on
  • DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    I currently live in Dublin- It has definitely improved even within the past few years. Sure, there are occasionally dodgy people on the streets, but it's quite easy to avoid trouble. I pass through an area which has a reputation for being reasonably 'robust', shall we say, on my route home, and even walking at night, have never encountered any problems. For me, the advice i'd give to a visitor would be just to take the same precautions you would do for any large city and you'll be fine. It's always prudent to maintain a certain level of situational awareness throughout your travels, for example as advised by Geoff Thompson. That notwithstanding, even if you DO encounter trouble, help is usually not far away, as the police can often be seen patrolling in the large social areas, for example at night on Fridays/ Saturdays. This, i gather IS reasonably new, so it may well not yet have been in place during Limp moose's visit.