As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Twilight Struggle]Game 1 - Game over! Nuclear holocaust pinned on America!

167891012»

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Some people thought this was not an idea I came up with entirely by myself. They have been taken away for re-education in the in the interest of the Greater Good.

• Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Some people thought this was not an idea I came up with entirely by myself. They have been taken away for re-education in the in the interest of the Greater Good.

Don't listen to that lying Farangu fellow, I believed in you!

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Further proof that this game is never out of reach, especially at DEFCON 2.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Tayrun wrote: »
    jakobagger wrote: »

Don't listen to that lying Farangu fellow, I believed in you!

This is just what a Trotskyite class traitor would say! Sometimes I doubt your commitment to sparkle motion Democratic Centralism.

• Options
    CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    For those of us new to/learning the game, could you guys explain what just happened?

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The Americans played a card that I'll link to in a bit, but it grabbed the highest Ops card from the Soviet hand. If there was a tie, the Soviet team chose the card. If that card was a neutral or American event, the event occured immediately.

The Soviets sent over Duck and Cover, an event that degraded DEFCON. This event took the world to DEFCON 1, and the player responsible for that immediately loses. So, even though the Soviets had that card, it was an American event that caused it to be played. Therefore, since the Americans caused the world to erupt into nuclear war, they lose.

Edit: Here's the card America played:
    missile-envy.jpg

Farangu on
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    The game automatically ends when the DEFCON counter drops to 1. The player who's turn it was loses the game, regardless of the possible chain of events that would cause the drop.
    In this case, the event Duck and Cover, which will have been played via Missile Envy, drops DEFCON to 1, causing the US to lose.

• Options
    This concept is commonly referred to as "DEFCON Suicide".

• Options
    But the best part about all this? DEFCON suicide was a constant possibility for the last 3 turns.

For it to finally happen just makes me so happy.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Soviets win in both timelines.

Amazing.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    Oh my, what an explosive conclusion to this game. I haven't contributed a lot but it was fun spectating/playing. Thanks for hosting Farangu!

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    I'd been following this whole thread from the shadows and it was like watching a movie. Some great Soviet propaganda film. Just when they seemed down and out, a dramatic change of events. If we archived great forum games, this would be one of them.

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Great job... I was actually so fearful you had that card I almost did not play mine... oh well...

Not like it is the end of the world.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Someone tell @kime he won. :P

• Options
    I assumed he was behind this whole plot!

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    But really, good game, you totally got me!

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    blahmcblah wrote: »
    Someone tell kime he won. :P

I've been a couple pages behind for a few days trying to catch up hahaha. Exams hit me hardddd

Yayyy!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile