As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[4E D&D Recruitment] Arc 1: A Princess in Despair.

KrellianKrellian Registered User new member
Hello all! Long time lurker, first time poster. (I beg forgiveness for any breach in forum etiquette). I'm looking to put together a 4th edition D&D game. The details are as follows:

WHEN: Sunday Sunday Sunday! What time on Sundays is negotiable. I'm looking to run for anywhere from 3-6 hours of game per session. This will usually involve RP, a combat, and a non combat situation based on time and pacing (and more if we have the time)
Attendance Policy: Nothing gets my goat more than starting up a fresh game and the people signing up fail to show up. Miss any of the first, second or third games and you'll be replaced. Be on time, or better yet: be a little bit early. I usually don't mind throwing the room up early and letting folks RP while I set things up. After that, just give me a heads up if you know you'll be missing a game and arrangements can be made.

WHERE: Maptools. roll20 is not quite there yet. Maptools + Mythweavers takes care of pretty much everything. If folks want to RP in the spare time on forums or what not, that's fine, but my work schedule keeps me busy otherwise. Maptools lets you build up some very pretty macros for all your powers, and I can assign status effects to the various tokens. Works out really well to keep things swiftly moving.

WHO: You! Hopefully! Well, 3-6 of you. Encounters will scale up/down appropriately based on the amount of players and their tactics.

STORY:
The starting plothook: The King wants you to rescue the princess who was captured by kobolds! How hard can that really be? The actual details will be gone over in RP(and based on the group origin). I don't really want to reveal too much yet. I will be reusing maps and possibly encounters from published modules, but do not expect me to adhere to them in any way shape or form.

Style/Theme: A mixture of everything. Mostly "Adventure"/pulp fantasy. There will be highs, lows, and everything in between hopefully. Not like, grimdark world or anything.

Side Quests/Player Quest: Once or twice per "story arc" there will be a side quest tailored to one of the PC's. The order will be random and rotate (though, it will also be dependent on whats going on and whats practical to do). It is something that will be discussed with the player(s) ahead of time.

Setting: Custom. Really though I'm open to suggestions but the truth is Im not really going to be investing or drawing heavily on setting material. Whatever setting gets used the "current" location is going to be custom made. Whatever ends up being picked may(no promises) get some setting details drawn in. Its something to be discussed with the group.

Group Origin: Can be tailored further to the group:

Adventurers/Mercinaries (Average): Your group has answered the call for adventure(and riches)!. The group starts normally at level 2 with with lvl 2 starting gear.

(Ex)-Prisoners (No equip/Higher Experience): You ran afoul of the Kings strict laws and were (falsely?) imprisoned for a short time. Working together your group weathered the incarceration without serious problems and the experience has left you more experienced. You start out at level 3 but with no gear until you beg, work, scrape, scavenge, steal or McGuyver your way back into having possessions.

Soldiers (Good equip, inexperienced) : You work for the King as young, up-and-coming soldiers that show great talent. As such you entrusted with access to superior arms to undertake your journey, but you lack the experience that the others have. Start at level 1 with significantly better gear(TBD).

Group actions: Drama is okay, PVP is not. I hope I don't need much further explanation here in terms of maturity and acting ic/ooc.

HOUSE RULES: (These are subject to change. They are merely observances and fixes based upon being a player and a DM)

Utility Powers: It has been my experience that most players always pick the combat ones. Because of that when picking utilities players may pick two utilities instead of one. One must be non combat. They are tied together for usage (So using the daily combat util consumes your non combat one until long rest and vice-versa.). You no longer need feats to take skill powers.

Non combat encounters/scenes: The current system encourages some rather bad RP behavior. So the following changes are in effect:
Failures do not count against you. Instead there is a "limit" to the amount of rounds that can pass(example: 5 succs in 3 rounds at DC 17). You may not assist other characters in their roll.
Combat skills in non combat: Some powers are suitable towards non combat objectives, as such their duration will be changed appropriately to be more useful. (example: invisibility will last longer out of combat than in combat). Using them in this manner immediately ends the power upon joining combat. So if you use invis to tail someone, if you decide to take hostilities it ends. Using such powers typically provides a bonus or auto succ in non combat actions.

Gear/Feats:
Don't try to frost cheese. Consider that feat to be banned. There are gear changes(most notably on the elemental weapons), if you're looking to tailor a build around particular gear, ask me first. Some cheese is fun, too much is not. Otherwise pretty much all the books are available for you to plan and make a character, go wild: But if your character stinks too much of power cheese, I may reject it.

Any other questions? Ask me!

What I want from you:

If you want to play, post in here or drop me a message via the forum with the following: (in order of importance)
1) Available times on Sunday (make things easy for me and put it in eastern standard time(EST) zone). Ill be looking for the folks with the most flexible/length of time.
2) Preferred roles/classes/alignments: (striker/defender/etc). If you have a basic character outline/description that is useful but not required.
3) If you're wanting to join with a friend, I'll need their info as well. (or they can send me it, just make sure you mention who you want to team up with!)
4) Preferred means to contact you.
If you have character details too (a link to a sheet, background), that's fine. If left with a choice, Ideally I will try to put together a group that meshes well with each other.

Due by: Its unlikely we'll be starting up next week, but most likely the Sunday afterwards(April 14th).

Annnd.. that's it! Thanks folks!
-Krellian