As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NBC's [Hannibal]: "I believe that is called a mike drop."

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Q) How would you rather die, from the show?

Fuller says the cello.
    Hugh says the tree.
    Armitage says the Beverly display.

Q) What would have happened if the gang had gone to Europe at the end of 2?

A) I think episode 2 covers that.

Hugh: I feel like no answer at the end of season 2 was feasible for Will. He was going down a dead end. The world of him and Hannibal and Abigail on the run was never possible, Will was too divided for that.

Q) Which was the favorite Hannibal costume?

Fuller: Charcoal with the window pane? The costumer made him one.

Q) What would your cameo be?

Fuller: a death tableaux.
    Martha: Dr. bloom for a day.

Q) Who are some of your inspirations?

A) David Lynch, David Croneberg, Kubrick, Tony Scott (The Hunger) this season. Visually agressive filmmakers.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    q) Thank you for not telling rape stories.

Also, if we can't get the show back, what would you miss the most?

Fuller: the Fannibals. Close second is the cast.

Hugh: To be part of something so embraced with such love and enthusiasm. Also, we're here representing a lot of other people, cast, crew in Toronto. So them too.
    Armitage: I'm just a guest, a passenger here. But I was brought into a close-knit family--

Will: Which you then killed.

Armitage: They were delicious.

Martha: The fandom, and the great four year ride with all the talented people who worked so hard on this.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Q about the music

Fuller says the 2nd unit director brings vinyl to the set to get people in the mood. Then he talks about Reitzel, says he took his hands off the wheel and lets the composer do whatever to make this non-melodic, psychological music. Used a giant xylophone for later this season.

This season, Susy of Susy and the Banshees composed an original song for the season finale.

(Really boring Q and A so I'm skipping it)

Fuller calls the Fannibal response the best hug you could imagine.
    Q) How do you create Dollarhyde without the sexual aspects?

A) There are some allusions, but I didn't want to create rape stories. It's now a more global attack on the family unit than an assault on the women. I think you should only do a rape story when you have the real estate to look at that violation and what it means to everybody, and when you don't it's shallow and lazy. So we buried that on the show.
    Q) [joke about last night's episode] Red Dragon is about a man transformed by art, have you been transformed?

(She gives Brian a scarf and he runs down to hug her)

Will talks about some paintings that blew his mind as a kid.

Armitage: He doesn't find the Blake paintings disturbing. But he's used Goya's Saturn painting for different roles to stimulate a response, and used it for RD as well.

Martha mentions another painter who does still lifes. (Sorry, I'm uncultured.)

Fuller says Francis Bacon, and a lot of that is in Hannibal.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Q about food stylist Janice Poon, who talks about the process of planning the foods on her blog. How do you make meals that work on a symbolic level?

A) Janice pitches dialogue in those late-night emails. Like the scene with Cordell last night about the Buddhist gong, etc, that was all Poon's lines.

Last Q

Favorite behind the scenes moment this season?

Fuller: His favorite moments are working with Hugh and Mads. They're very opinionated, which is great for a showrunner. They elevate what the writers do. He gets reinspired after talking with them. Same thing with the spoilered actor. Fuller loves having actors who have his back.

Hugh: A moment when filming the finale, a long night shoot, and at about 4 in the morning at someone's house, they found a bottle of wine. The sun was threatening to come up and they were exhausted and it was just a wonderful moment.
    Richard: being in the make-up trailer as two women applied a full-body tattoo--and then taking it off at the end of the day.

Martha liked being in Europe for this season's filming. They did much guerrila shooting in Florence, prepping in alleys, and then the dinners afterwards... Just beautiful to do that together.

Moderator thanks them for 3 years of a great, great show. And he hopes we get to see more.

--

Thanks for reading! Sorry this is so many damn posts, I'm just on my phone and it was easier than editing the same post.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Awesome, thanks Astaereth.

The 2nd half of the season preview is now up on the web. Should be avoided if you don't want to know where the characters are at/what story they're doing:

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Thanks for transcribing the pannibal @Astaereth you da best fannibal!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Moderator: "Does NBC push back on anything? Other than more of the show."

Fuller: there was a lesbian sex euphemism in season 2 that NBC wouldn't let us use, so I googled more euphemisms and found something they didn't know.

Never change, Bryan Fuller.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    I couldn't tell what the euphemism was. Something about buttons? Button stitching, my brother says. Something like that.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Odd that they had a problem with some euphemism but not the three minute long weird-ass mirror image psychedelic sex scene. AKA the only part of the show up until now I skipped past.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    I really hope that this show opens up Hollywood leading man roles for Mads Mikkelsen. He is a national treasure, even when he's portraying a murderous cannibal.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I really hope that this show opens up Hollywood leading man roles for Mads Mikkelsen. He is a national treasure, even when he's portraying a murderous cannibal.

you might say he's a great Dane

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Why does it need to be Hollywood? If the roles are good, sure, but it happens too often that interesting European actors are given boring, generic parts once they're deemed 'big enough' for Hollywood. I'd rather he spent more time in films that have an idea of how to use him in interesting ways. I'd much rather see him in things like The Hunt or Adam's Apples than in Clash of the Titans or The Three Musketeers.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    Why does it need to be Hollywood? If the roles are good, sure, but it happens too often that interesting European actors are given boring, generic parts once they're deemed 'big enough' for Hollywood. I'd rather he spent more time in films that have an idea of how to use him in interesting ways. I'd much rather see him in things like The Hunt or Adam's Apples than in Clash of the Titans or The Three Musketeers.

He has been in a multitude of great danish/european roles. I would just like to see him carry a big hollywood production akin to Viggo Mortensen.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    If it's an interesting one, sure; I could imagine Mikkelsen acting for Cronenberg, for instance. (I'm sure he'd make a great meal of the New Flesh...) Mikkelsen's Hidalgo or 28 Days, though? Not interested.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Hannibal being sent to live out his few remaining days on Saturdays.

http://deadline.com/2015/07/hannibal-aquarius-saturday-schedule-move-nbc-1201475482/

• Options
    ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

He has been in a multitude of great danish/european roles. I would just like to see him carry a big hollywood production akin to Viggo Mortensen.

He's not quite classically masculine enough to be as big as Viggo. I can't really picture him ever getting a role like Aragorn... Valhalla Rising for example though was the perfect use of his presence. I didn't like the movie much after the first 30 min but Mads was mesmerizing throughout.

Butcher on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Saturdays at 10 PM effective immediately. Sigh. RIP

• Options
    At least some of the blame for Hannibal's current predicament has to fall on the people who fucked up with Constantine.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    That dinner party scene was so fun.

• Options
    A really, really fucked up episode. Probably one of the creepiest pure horror things they've done, and then a great whack of emotion at the end. Great, great stuff. I know it's sad that there may not be any more of this, but I'm so grateful this show exists.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    I've not seen the latest episode yet, but while I still enjoy S3 I have to say I prefered watching the first season's Will, because he was such a marked contrast to Hannibal. His empathy no longer feels like empathy to me, more like a power that allows him to make thematically relevant yet cryptic statements. I'm hoping he'll regain something of his former self - or become something entirely new (which would fit thematically) - in the Red Dragon arc.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    It's sad that the show had to return to glory so far into the season.

• Options
    I've not seen the latest episode yet, but while I still enjoy S3 I have to say I prefered watching the first season's Will, because he was such a marked contrast to Hannibal. His empathy no longer feels like empathy to me, more like a power that allows him to make thematically relevant yet cryptic statements. I'm hoping he'll regain something of his former self - or become something entirely new (which would fit thematically) - in the Red Dragon arc.

Watch the latest episode.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Fuller interview portion
    Will it feel different tonally than the first half of the season?

Fuller: It's a slightly more grounded narrative than what we experienced in the first part of the season. So much of the first arc was all about the grieving process and also the trauma of what these people had experienced. I didn't want to skip over what these characters were feeling, and that's why so much of the first part of the season was contemplative and brooding and surreal. Everyone was in shock.

and some mild spoilers for the shape of what's to come:
    Red Dragon has already been adapted into two different movies. How do you think your version will be different?

Fuller: The version of Red Dragon that we are telling is very faithful to the literature with the exception of the relationship we've been building over the last two and a half seasons. Will and Hannibal's relationship in the previous adaptations was nowhere near as wet and dark and sticky as what we've come to learn of the dynamic between the men in this version of the telling. So, to have Will and Hannibal truly possess a history together that informs their approach to the Red Dragon didn't necessarily feel like an opportunity to change the story, but to provide many more layers of the tiramisu for the audience to enjoy.

Finally, it seems like options for a fourth season keep becoming fewer and fewer. Is there still hope left for the show to live on beyond Season 3?

Fuller: It doesn't seem like there is any imminent rescue. But I'm kind of waiting for the show to air its final episodes so that the audience can understand what a fourth season would be like and how this story between these two men would continue. None of the networks the studio has talked to about picking up a fourth season knew how this season was going to end; they were just going off the assumption that it was just going to be another season. And so much changes in the finale of the third season that pays off all of these dynamics between Will and Hannibal that we're talking about - the regret and the betrayal and the wanting to move on and the fear that you might not be capable of moving on. All of those things play out through the Red Dragon arc. After the finale, I'd love to perhaps re-open the conversation with potential networks or streaming options once they clearly understand what the story is that we've told.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    I'm really, really curious to see how they end up handling
    Dolarhyde working at a photo lab being how he chooses his victims
    from the original, given that doesn't seem to be as much of a thing these days.

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    That was a great episode. Horrifying, but great.

I loved how much fun Hannibal was having at the dinner party- a situation where he should be having a negative amount of good times.

• Options
    Obviously it'll be a
    hipster photo lab.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options

They already kinda spent that angle with the pharmacist preying on diabetics in the first season.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Just watched ep. 5
    Jack annihilated Hannibal, it was great

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    a
    Obviously it'll be a
    hipster photo lab.

Noone will investigate hipster murders.

1. Police aren't going to care.
    2. Then people wont get to say "we gotta watch out for that guy who murders hipsters, you probably havent heard of him"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    He'll work in the "cloud", a gathering place of all manner of evil.

Or maybe he just spends a lot of time on youtube, looking through family videos with under 25 views while losing his sanity.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    In a surprise twist, the Red Dragon actually kills cats, both cute and grumpy, that he's been watching on YouTube.

Edit: More seriously, though, has the series made much use of a contemporary setting? I remember the Wall of MacBooks, but in terms of what's relevant to the plot I think it's been pretty timeless - and there's a lot about S3 that doesn't make much sense if we imagine these people using the internet. (Hannibal's anonymity, for instance.) As such, I don't think it would be overly weird for the series to stick to the novel's photo lab.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    via Facebook
    I recently got my boyfriend into the show. We found a standard formula of how to talk like Hannibal.
    1. Make a grandiose statement about something you are doing or something that is brought up in conversation.
    2. "Tell me, Will..."
    3. Dramatic question about how this random thing relates to Will.

For instance, last weekend we went to a potluck and couldn't stop cracking each other up.
    "A potluck is an event in which individuals bring a cherished part of themselves to a communal table. Tell me, Will...what will you bring to the table?"
    "A 3-bean salad is a union of parts that are seemingly the same, yet ultimately so different. Tell me, Will...are we the same? Or are we ultimately different?"

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    There's something to the way that Hannibal speaks that lends itself so well to parody - yet he also comes out with wonderfully unexpected lines and readings, like his almost shy whisper to Alana in the S2 finale, "He's in the pantry." One of the things I'll miss most about this series is its idiosyncratic, surprising sense of humour.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    I've been binging all the old Hannibal stuff, watched Manhunter for the first time, then Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs. Tonight is Hannibal!

I have been struck by how many lines are copied verbatim throughout all the adaptions, from little things like "2 families killed a month apart in similar circumstances" "not similar, the same" to bigger things like "save yourself, kill them all" - it's neat seeing so many different takes on the same scenes! :D

Manhunter was great. I noticed that one shot towards the end got homaged in the TV show, the breaking through the glass moment. <3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    It's a shame that Red Dragon had such a (potentially) great cast but very mediocre direction and a script that was at best serviceable and that worked best when it stuck most closely to the novel.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    It's a shame that Red Dragon had such a (potentially) great cast but very mediocre direction and a script that was at best serviceable and that worked best when it stuck most closely to the novel.

I remember watching a special with Anthony Hopkins where he flat out said that Brett Ratner gave him - and the rest of the cast - line readings.

Like, fuck off, Ratner. That's not directing at all and you certainly don't give Anthony Hopkins goddamn line readings.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    As a thought experiment that wouldn't ever happen for real: what do the people watching Hannibal think a TV Silence of the Lambs would look like - with Will instead of Clarice? How would it change things?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    I don't think it makes any sense to just plug Will in for Clarice--I mean, that's the story we're getting now, Will goes back to Hannibal for help catching a killer. So on the one hand it'd be identical, and on the other hand it wouldn't make much sense thematically, since Silence is 100% about gender dynamics and the male gaze. If you gender-flipped Bill to Betty you could tell a story about masculinity, I suppose...

On a different subject, did anybody catch in the latest episode--

(Hannibal the book end spoilers)
    How the scene with Hannibal, Abigail, and Abigail's dead father was taken from the end of the novel Hannibal, with Abigail standing in for Clarice? I think that kind of indicates how Fuller feels about that ending. In the book it's somewhat ambiguous as to whether it's a twisted but happy ending (ie., Clarice ends up with the only man she can ever trust to treat her with dignity) or a tremendously dark and horrifying one (ie., Clarice is brainwashed and destroyed and gaslight into that role). Given Hannibal's relationship with Abigail and where we know that will all end up, I think this is Fuller saying, no, that ending is not remotely a good thing.

(just show spoilers]
    Also fascinating from that episode, Hannibal's line to Abigail from the penultimate season 1 episode, "I'm sorry I couldn't protect you in this life," gains a third meaning (the first two being about Abigail and Mischa), in that Hannibal is giving Abigail a "new life" by faking her death. I've always said, Hannibal really only kills strangers, as a rule; if he knows you and cares about you at all, his tendency is to change and transform you into something more interesting to him. Abigail is really the longest, most extended example of Hannibal taking this to the extremes (he's been fucking with Will for just as long, but hasn't been as successful). The pilot ends with Hannibal at Abigail's bedside, and three seasons later we're still learning about how he got from there to spitefully cutting her throat. She feels to me like the most tragic character of the whole show.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    For a long while I thought Miriam was introduced to be the show's version of Clarice. Would've been cool to see her recovery.

Oh brilliant