As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me some grilling tools.

see317see317 Registered User regular
The title pretty much says it all.
Spring has sprung, and I've picked up a grill to help me turn raw meat into cooked meat while enjoying the fresh air and lack of a smoke alarm telling me I've screwed up.
Problem is, I don't have any grilling utensils.
A quick glance at Amazon offers a wide variety of such tools differing in quantity, quality and price, however the reviews are generally pretty worthless (I don't care to read another review starting with: I haven't used them yet, but they look shiny).
So, I turn to you H/A. Any recommendations for tool kits of a reasonable quality? At the very least, I figure I'll need a metal spatula, a good pair of tongs for flipping and a beefy grill brush to scrape the charred remnants off.
I'm not looking to open a restaurant on my patio so top of the line tools aren't a necessity, on the other hand, I don't want cheap crap that's going to fall apart the first time I try to flip a steak either. Figure a price range of 35-50 bucks (give or take) if that helps.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    The only tools you need for a grill are two sets of good tongs, a good wire brush for cleaning the grill and a good delivery system for oiling said grill when it is hot, though if you're good you can use the tongs with a cloth with a bit of oil on it.

The big tongs with the fake wood paneling on the side work well enough and are cheap as hell. You want two of them, one for putting raw food on and another for taking cooked food off. Big spatulas are just that, big spatulas. You want one with a good wood handle and no plastic parts at all, and for the cleaning brush you can get away with any cheap one from a hardware store/dollar store.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    For those new on the grill it might be prudent of you to get a digital probe thermometer with an alarm (tells you when you hit the appropriate temp, remember that meat still cooks when you pull it, and you have to flip it, but it is very helpful, especially with a new grill. They are pretty cheap on amazon.

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    i got one of those grill brushes that you fill with water, so it basically steam cleans your grill when you brush it. It sounds dumb as hell, but it actually works like a charm. it was not much more than a regular brush, if at all.

• Options
    cookiekrushcookiekrush Registered User regular
    Tongs - metal ones are great for the grill. You don't need the fancy silicone ones for the grill.
    Spatula - again, you don't need the silicone ones, stick to metal.
    A good wire brush for clean up - If you're on a budget, you can just use a wad of tin foil and hold it with your tongs and clean that way.

There are many simple sets, and I haven't really used a bad brand per say. Cuisinart is the basic set that you can start off with to get a feel for what kinds of tool you'd like for cooking. It also depends what you're cooking. If you do foods on a stick, you may want to invest in a grill rack for easy cooking and turning. I also like to use a salt block if I want to get fancy.

Also, never stab your steak or flatten your burger. You'll lose all the yummy juices from the meat!

Pinny Pals - open to trading!
    Looking for Edith Finch Pin!
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    see317 has been kidnapped by SCREECH OF THE FARG and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

This is not a romantic coupling
    though I'm in a PAIR
    My GAMES bring many happiness
    though I am known for my DESPAIR
    Which forumer am I?

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Don't press your burgers when you cook them as it will push juice out as cookiecrush says, but using a big fork to flip your steak will not adversely affect it. I prefer a meat hook cause I think it gives you a better hold on the meat than a fork.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Djeet has been kidnapped by bowen and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

You know, I used to love celery
    Til he made a thread how you all want to get with me
    I wanted to ROCKET away and have some fun
    Travel to the LEGEND or PLANET, 3rd rock from the sun
    Which forumer am I?

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    I primarily use big tongs for just about everything and a grill brush with a brillo-like pad on the back which I find super convenient. Digital temperature probes are also awesome, I only really use mine when I'm smoking though, but I'd highly recommend it if you plan to do anything other than hamburgers/hotdogs/steak all of which cook pretty quick and can be figured out well enough by feel.

I've gotten by just fine with a cheap-o 4 piece set with tongs, spatula, grill brush, and basting brush I picked up from the local hardware store when I was getting charcoal, was probably 15-20. If you were looking for something higher-end I haven't used their grilling pieces but everything I've ever gotten from OXO in the cooking accessory department has been top notch, including another basting brush and some smaller tongs I use on the stove top all the time.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    zepherin has been kidnapped by DaemonSadi and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

I sullied my JOKE'S HISTORY
    with many a reported post
    But my spirit lives on in ev'ry DIGIMON
    like a wandering, tormented ghost
    Which forumer am I?

• Options
    cookiekrush has been kidnapped by Taranis and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

My favorite X-Man is GAMBIT
    My favorite Metroid game is chronologically the last.
    And half of me just wants to stab guys in prison!
    Which forumer am I?

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    While a heavy-duty grill brush is a must, I got one of those pumice-on-a-stick things for cleaning the grate and it was fantastic. It got used up fairly quickly though and wasn't the cheapest thing to replace so it's a bit of an extravagance, but it helped a lot when grilling delicate stuff like chicken and veggies. Still want the brush though.

As mentioned above two sets of tongs, a brush, and a big spatula is really all you need to start grilling. A meat thermometer is highly recommended, you'll develop a sense for how things are done as you grill more but it's never obsolete.

Oh and keep a fire extinguisher somewhere close. Just in case.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    AresProphet has been kidnapped by SCREECH OF THE FARG and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

I made some nice POTPOURRI
    For us to discuss what’s IMPORTANT TO ME
    I ain’t talking bout Tolkien
    The CARDINAL rule: I must be toke’n!
    Which forumer am I?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I have this little 8x8 square looking wire thingy with a handle for cooking cut up veggies. You lay them in there and sandwich them between the sides. Then you can flip all of them at once.

it works out well

• Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    I found Sur La Table has the best grill basket like @Xaquin is describing. Most of them I tried had way too big of gaps so you couldn't easily use them for smaller veggies.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Get a charcoal chimney starter. It will change your life.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Unless you have a gas grill :P

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »
    I do have a gas grill, and I'm pretty sure that the chimney starter would still change my life.
    Not necessarily for the better, but definitely a change.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

Agree! Chimney starters are AMAZING compared to trying to futz with lighter fluid and such. If you're not grilling much and feeling particularly lazy you can even grill right on it.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I do have a gas grill, and I'm pretty sure that the chimney starter would still change my life.

Fair enough, but you didn't say which kind of grill you had in the OP and I had assumed a man of your wealth and taste would have already seen the Light of Charcoal.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Fair enough, but you didn't say which kind of grill you had in the OP and I had assumed a man of your wealth and taste would have already seen the Light of Charcoal.
    Oh, I have. The HOA on the other hand...
    Truthfully, they're not fully on board with the gas grills either (at least if you have a tank that's bigger then a 5 pound camping tank), but it's a lot easier to hide a 20 pound propane tank under the grill cover then it is to smuggle bags of charcoal in.

That said, I've picked up some grilling tools based on the advice of the thread. They've been tested in fire and turned out a good batch of burgers and brats. So, I think we can shut this thread down.

see317 on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

Charcoal is great if you have time, but if you just want something cooked and don't want to screw with stuff, Gas is way more convenient. I don't find the taste to be lightyears different on a lot of stuff.

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    These are excellent for grilling fish and poultry: Meat thermometer
    I can't vouch for the particular brand, but my dad picked up a similar one for the grill, and it makes it a lot easier to get the temp right on white meat.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    I like this quick read digital thermometer: http://www.amazon.com/CDN-DTQ450X-ProAccurate-Quick-Read-Thermometer/dp/B0021AEAG2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1365239897&sr=8-4&keywords=quick+read+digital+thermometer

It is accurate and fast, which is about all you need out of a thermometer. It's also a great price for what it offers. Everyone else has the right idea with spatulas, tongs, and veggie baskets.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    This is all you need for successful grilling; Oberon Ale.