As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starting on Drum Set

RazzleDazzRazzleDazz Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I was hoping some people with experience playing drum set could help me with some guidance here. I would really like to learn how to play set, and recently have the funds, time, and stability to seriously start. My past experience with musical instruments has been primarily trombone (about 10 years) so percussion will be a change of pace for me. I intend on taking private lessons from the start so I can hopefully learn good habits early. What should I look for in an instructor, or what would you expect a novice set player to learn first? Also, what would you recommend for a beginning drum set? I am ignorant of most terminology, and would like to hear the basics. Thanks.

*Edit* I should say that my goal is to play rock music

RazzleDazz on

• Options
    RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't play drums, but my freinds do.

If you want something for that "Rock and/or Roll Music" try a basic setup:

1 Bass Drum
    1 Snare Drum
    1 Hit hat
    1 Crash symbol
    1 Ride symbol

and I forget what they are called, but one Floor "tom" drum [?] and two attached to the bass drum.

That should get you started. You should be able to play 90% of the popular songs on the radio with that setup.

oh! and don't forget. more cowbell. Get one of those.

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
  • Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Any of your friends play the drums? Get them to take you to the local music shop, and they should be able to explain everything and help you pick out equipment, as well as give you advice as far as teachers go.

Reckless on