As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BIOSHOCK INFINITE]: Burial At Sea Part 2: March 25th!

ForarForar #432Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
edited April 2014 in Games and Technology
This is Bioshock Infinite. It is a sort of thing that is like Bioshock. Yea.
bilogonobackground10nka.png

Announcement Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSZcCe_JPy4
E3 2011 GAMEPLAY TEASER THING FUCKYEA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npBEzA6P3Js
10 MINUTES OF GAMEPLAY WHOOO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_DSfjAdhlU

Excellent E3 preview from Giantbomb

STEAMPUNK IN THE SKY
BioShock Infinite is a first-person shooter currently in development at Irrational Games, the studio behind the original BioShock (which sold over 4 million units worldwide). Set in 1912, BioShock Infinite introduces an entirely new narrative and gameplay experience that lifts players out of the familiar confines of Rapture and rockets them to Columbia, an immense city in the sky.

Former Pinkerton agent Booker DeWitt has been sent to rescue Elizabeth, a young woman imprisoned in Columbia since childhood. Booker develops a relationship with Elizabeth, augmenting his abilities with hers so the pair may escape from a city that is literally falling from the sky. DeWitt must learn to fight foes in high-speed Sky-Line battles, engage in combat both indoors and amongst the clouds, and harness the power of dozens of new weapons and abilities.

LESS PR SPEAK PLEASE
Columbia is the city of the future circa 1900, created as a sort of moving World Fair, travelling the world to show the sheer power and majesty of the rising newly technological America – the Moon Landing of its day. Levine argues that between 1880 and 1900 America transformed from this Agrarian backwater to a rising technological power that ended up claiming the 20th century as its own.

Inevitably, it goes wrong. The World Fair was secretly weaponized, covered in cannons which go and do what cannons are made for. It goes rogue, causes a terrible international incident and disappears into the clouds never to be seen again.

Skip forward a few years, where in a Chandlerian move, ex-Pinkerton, strikebreaker and general low-life Booker DeWitt is hired to find a woman. This Elizabeth is missing. DeWitt can handle this. It’s what he does. The only problem is that she’s apparently in Columbia… and the mysterious figure hiring you says he can get you there.

Excellent preview article by Rock Paper Shotgun

Bioshock was all an Objectivist/Libertarian thing, so what is this about?
If the main theme behind surrounding the first "BioShock" was objectivism, the main theme of "BioShock Infinite" appears to be jingoism. At the game's premiere, propaganda posters displayed racist stereotypes of other nationalities, with George Washington in the center, looking like a savior among savages.

This undercurrent matches real American beliefs at the time. Ken Levine read a quote from President William McKinley, talking about his decision to make the Philippines part of the US. It's basically the epitome of Manifest Destiny.

That's Columbia. It's a society which believes that America knows best. Always. It's also a society in turmoil.

What does the city of Columbia feel like?
When Irrational’s creative director, Ken Levine, stopped in the middle of the presentation to give us a brief history lesson – the state of America at the turn of the century and it’s empirical attempt to annex the Philippines – it was more than flavor text. Just as Bioshock explored the downfall of an Ayn Randian utopia, Infinite sets its sights high with an alternate history breakdown of America during its meteoric rise to superpower status.

Its world, a city in the sky known as Columbia, is thick with patriotic imagery. Take every bit of Victorian architecture you’ve ever seen, stick some balloons on the bottom, cover it in American flags, and you’re only scratching the surface. It’s vibrant, lively, even hopeful, and yet, the truth is revealed as soon as we meet Columbia’s inhabitants.

The in-game demonstration began with a brief stroll down the streets of Columbia. The first thing that stood out was the perfect visual density they’ve established. Similar to the original BioShock, Infinite is a game that invites players to become enthralled with the world around them. To Booker’s left, a horse-drawn carriage passed by, complete with a seemingly mechanical, or at least heavily-armored horse. Propaganda posters lined the streets, a statue grasped an American flag, and a politician dressed as Uncle Sam was the first person that attempted to murder Booker.

28j9k09.jpg

Joystiq Interview with Ken Levine

Giantbomb VIDEO Interview with Ken Levine

bioinfintelizbtr2.jpg

UPDATE:

The first piece of story DLC has been released, and it's one hell of a tease! I recommend finishing Bioshock: Infinite before looking into the DLC, as some discussion of it may contain spoilers.

An arena battle pack called Clash in the Clouds is being released today, containing 4 new maps, a bunch of achievements and hot skyrail on bad guy action!

OP Stolen shamelessly from @OmnomnomPancake

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
Sterica on

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Yeah, I was wondering how much I'd feel the sting of not having multiple upgrades that I could have had if I hadn't died.

Also 1999 is basically new game plus right? Uber hard but upgrades carry over?
    No. It's a completely new difficulty level. Nothing carries over.

That's kinda a shame. I'd have loved a way to play around with all the toys I'm sure to get.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Hauling over from the old thread.
    azith28 wrote: »
    Vegan wrote: »
    I want to see
    Some group Elizabeth cosplay, all the iterations that appeared at the end.
    People just have to be working on that as we speak.

Oh yeah. Speaking of... that bit.
    Why wasn't there a male Elizabeth in the crowd? I mean, the Luteces are the same people from different universes, yet one of them's a man and the other's a woman. So why not have one male Elizabeth in there?

Well, perhaps it would have ruined the moment.

Because:
    While the divergent timeline was created when the baptism decided booker or dewitt, the infinite loop of causality of booker and comstock started when elizabeth was born and sold. So shes always going to be a girl.

Not sure I get it.
    How, in an infinite multiverse, would it have been impossible for a male Elizabeth to have been born to a DeWitt and then sold to a Comstock? Since the Luteces prove that the same people can have different genders in this particular conception of the multiverse.

Unless you argue that the multitude of Elizabeths were all the daughters of a single DeWitt from a single universe somehow.
    Constants and Variables. Elizabeth's Gender is a Constant.

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Houn wrote: »
    I want to see

Why wasn't there a male Elizabeth in the crowd? I mean, the Luteces are the same people from different universes, yet one of them's a man and the other's a woman. So why not have one male Elizabeth in there?

Because:
    While the divergent timeline was created when the baptism decided booker or dewitt, the infinite loop of causality of booker and comstock started when elizabeth was born and sold. So shes always going to be a girl.

Not sure I get it.
    How, in an infinite multiverse, would it have been impossible for a male Elizabeth to have been born to a DeWitt and then sold to a Comstock? Since the Luteces prove that the same people can have different genders in this particular conception of the multiverse.

Unless you argue that the multitude of Elizabeths were all the daughters of a single DeWitt from a single universe somehow.
    The vision Comstock saw was his "daughter" bringing war down on New York. Maybe there is a male Elizabeth somewhere, but he wasn't a target for Comstock because he's a male. So he won't be sold and cause this time loop

Robes on
    "Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Mmm new thread smell.

Motion to recommend sitting through the credits in the OP. Seen a few folks that've missed out. And that's no good.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    I think the OP could use a collection of ending spoilers (not that anybody would read them but I'd feel better probably). Such as:
    Columbia was funded by the US

Columbia may have taken flight by 1893, but it wasn't finished until later. For example, Soldier's Field wasn't built until 1903.

etc

• Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I want to see

Because:

Not sure I get it.

Im still lost with...
    How did the whole loop of Booker becoming Comstock and buying his own baby from himself start? Because Booker is Comstock in an alternate reality? So Booker is really buying a baby from another dimensions version of himself?

Triiipledot on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    so, I'll probably start this soon, but I'm just wondering how challenging 1999 mode is. Reading the bullets on IGN it just looks like it'll be a harder difficulty, the respawn system I won't be using (assuming respawn is like vitachambers) anyway...

but how badly do you need the navigation arrow? what does it do?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Hey guys hey guys, Wired's Game|Life column has an article about the ending that's fulla spoilers today

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/04/bioshock-infinite-spoilers/

I am posting it because I helped write it (I'm the one named Jensen because I'm cool like that)

We're probably going to do more of these and also some stuff in our podcast.

Also also: I wanted to thank everyone in this thread! The discussions here really helped me clear up some of the little details I might have otherwise missed and have just been helpful for me in focusing my thoughts. Ya'll are great.

*edit* I see that thread title

I guess I better also write sad fanfic eh

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    so, I'll probably start this soon, but I'm just wondering how challenging 1999 mode is. Reading the bullets on IGN it just looks like it'll be a harder difficulty, the respawn system I won't be using (assuming respawn is like vitachambers) anyway...

You still get respawns, but you game over if you run out of money, like System shock 2.

And the nav arrow points you to where you need to go. It's not entirely nessesary.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    You still get respawns, but you game over if you run out of money, like System shock 2.

To be clear, if you run out of money you have to restart from the last checkpoint (I believe? Chapter?), anyway the point is that it's not a hardcore mode or anything, the game doesn't delete your save file for struggling, you just get set back a bit.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular

And the nav arrow points you to where you need to go. It's not entirely nessesary.

Frankly I used the nav arrow to help me find other secret stuff -- by going in the opposite direction of it always and avoiding the damn thing as long as possible.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular

Frankly I used the nav arrow to help me find other secret stuff -- by going in the opposite direction of it always and avoiding the damn thing as long as possible.

The navigation arrow is very effective at pointing out the last place that you need to go.

Monster Hunter Tri code/username: 1MF42Z (Morda)
    WiiU Username: MordaRazgrom
    Steam Username: MordaRazgrom
    WoW/Diablo 3 Battlenet Battletag: MordaRazgrom#1755
    Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I want to see

Because:

Not sure I get it.

Im still lost with...
    How did the whole loop of Booker becoming Comstock and buying his own baby from himself start? Because Booker is Comstock in an alternate reality? So Booker is really buying a baby from another dimensions version of himself?
    Comnstock was sterile, and wanted a child, so he took one of his from an alternate timeline.

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular

Exactly. Early on I found myself accidentally continuing the story when really I wanted to loot through some garbage so I started using the nav arrow to avoid the next checkpoint like the plague until I'd explored every nook and cranny.

Still missed like 5 audiologs grrrr

• Options
    Forar wrote: »

To be clear, if you run out of money you have to restart from the last checkpoint (I believe? Chapter?), anyway the point is that it's not a hardcore mode or anything, the game doesn't delete your save file for struggling, you just get set back a bit.

Oh okay. That's something that I tend to do in games anyway. It's one of those self-imposed challenges that weird gamers like my self engage in. :P

It really makes me wonder about how big the game world is that taking away the navigation arrow counts as a difficulty increase though...

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

Bear in mind you don't get to make your own saves, so you will absolutely be using the respawn system.
    Just don't play 1999 for your first time out (the fact that they locked it until you beat the game once pretty much says you shouldn't be starting with it anyway).

If I could reliably headshot with a controller, I might have an easier time of it, but I gave up on 1999 after it made me start hating the game. I'm restarting on hard, and it's much easier.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited April 2013

The navigation arrow is very effective at pointing out the last place that you need to go.

Spoilers for every game ever.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I want to see

Because:

Not sure I get it.

Im still lost with...
    Comnstock was sterile, and wanted a child, so he took one of his from an alternate timeline.
    Specifically, Lutece-tech "prophecy" showed him that he would definitely fail in his goals unless he had an heir of his own blood.

Being sterile, trans-dimensional adoption from his non-sterile self was the only possible way to (hopefully) cement his legacy with a genetic heir.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »

Bear in mind you don't get to make your own saves, so you will absolutely be using the respawn system.
    Just don't play 1999 for your first time out (the fact that they locked it until you beat the game once pretty much says you shouldn't be starting with it anyway).

If I could reliably headshot with a controller, I might have an easier time of it, but I gave up on 1999 after it made me start hating the game. I'm restarting on hard, and it's much easier.

Yea, I know about the checkpoints. I recall someone being pissed about them on the previous thread. But I want to play 1999 first because I think it's better to play at a higher difficulty setting and then if I have to, lower it, than to burn through a game at a lower difficulty setting and regret not making the decision to begin with.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Yea, I know about the checkpoints. I recall someone being pissed about them on the previous thread. But I want to play 1999 first because I think it's better to play at a higher difficulty setting and then if I have to, lower it, than to burn through a game at a lower difficulty setting and regret not making the decision to begin with.

1999 mode starts with a warning that says you can't change the difficulty after you begin a new game.

• Options
    That and hard is plenty hard enough for a first run through. Speaking as someone currently playing on it.

• Options
    MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular

Spoilers for every game ever.

They're tricky though! I went to one place, hit the arrow, it pointed me to where I was going. I turned around and went to another place in another direction, the arrow still pointed me forward. You won that round, arrow, well played!

Monster Hunter Tri code/username: 1MF42Z (Morda)
    WiiU Username: MordaRazgrom
    Steam Username: MordaRazgrom
    WoW/Diablo 3 Battlenet Battletag: MordaRazgrom#1755
    Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • Options
    SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    1999 mode... all about Sniper Rifles and Headshots and lots of Tear usage.

• Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    You know what I want?

I want a DLC that's Bioshock Infinite: Director's Cut. Put in the stuff that you know was cut for time.

• Options
    I figured out an easy way to get the Heartbreaker achievement in the Plaza area of Finkton.
    The Heartbreaker cheevo is shooting a Handyman through the heart and only hitting the heart. Load up a checkpoint to just before you're to meet Chen Lin the gunsmith inside his shop. If you're in Finkton and you see workers auctioning their time, you're in the right spot. Walk to Chen Lin's store and use the sky hooks to grab a sniper rifle hidden on top of the awning above his shop and then enter Chen's workshop. The workshop is ransacked. Leave the workshop and you'll be back in Chen Lin's store - turn the difficulty down to easy. Leave the store and walk towards the club until the Handyman ambushes you. With the Handyman on your tail, return to the store and walk behind the counter with the cash register. The Handyman will follow you inside but if you're standing in the sweet spot, he will stay on one side of the counter and you'll be on the other. His punches will miss you, his electric attacks will hit you but the important thing is he'll stand still in one place. You'll take a lot of hits but you'll survive them on the easy difficulty. Carefully shoot him in the heart with the sniper rifle a couple times without zooming in. After you kill him and get the cheevo, return to the main menu and load up another save.

• Options
    Melkster wrote: »
    You know what I want?

I want a DLC that's Bioshock Infinite: Director's Cut. Put in the stuff that you know was cut for time.

That poor dead horse from the E3 trailers. :(

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I figured out an easy way to get the Heartbreaker achievement in the Plaza area of Finkton.
    The Heartbreaker cheevo is shooting a Handyman through the heart and only hitting the heart. Load up a checkpoint to just before you're to meet Chen Lin the gunsmith inside his shop. If you're in Finkton and you see workers auctioning their time, you're in the right spot. Walk to Chen Lin's store and use the sky hooks to grab a sniper rifle hidden on top of the awning above his shop and then enter Chen's workshop. The workshop is ransacked. Leave the workshop and you'll be back in Chen Lin's store - turn the difficulty down to easy. Leave the store and walk towards the club until the Handyman ambushes you. With the Handyman on your tail, return to the store and walk behind the counter with the cash register. The Handyman will follow you inside but if you're standing in the sweet spot, he will stay on one side of the counter and you'll be on the other. His punches will miss you, his electric attacks will hit you but the important thing is he'll stand still in one place. You'll take a lot of hits but you'll survive them on the easy difficulty. Carefully shoot him in the heart with the sniper rifle a couple times without zooming in. After you kill him and get the cheevo, return to the main menu and load up another save.

Even easier, same Handyman:
    When he appears, hook up to the small roof opposite the gun shop, then jump back down when he comes up after you.

I don't know why but I hit a glitch where he just stands there and you can just plink away.

It's not even that uncommon - I went looking afterward and there's youtube videos of it

• Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Melkster wrote: »
    You know what I want?

That poor dead horse from the E3 trailers. :(

I'd love to see them:
    - flesh out the Daisy Fitzroy story line
    - show us more of Elizabeth's prison/experimentation center

• Options
    Booker DeWitt must be in his mid-40s.

Ending spoilers.
    Booker and Comstock are the same age. We know time travel isn't involved because the science twins are same age, lady Lutece living in Comstock's reality and gentleman Lutece living in Booker's reality. Comstock appears older for the same reason he's sterile - too much exposure to the Tear contraptions.

Booker joined the military at the age of 20 and killed a hundred people at Wounded Knee. Slate was his commanding officer in both realities. He got all depressed and somehow found time to become a Pinkerton agent of some renown, a gambling addict, and find a girlfriend to knock up with Anne. When he sells Anne (age 1) to Comstock, he must be in his late 20s. If Elizabeth/Anne is 20 when Booker finds her, Booker is in his mid to late-40s. The Booker on the game's boxart looks closer to 30.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular

Ending spoilers.
    Booker and Comstock are the same age. We know time travel isn't involved because the science twins are same age, lady Lutece living in Comstock's reality and gentleman Lutece living in Booker's reality. Comstock appears older for the same reason he's sterile - too much exposure to the Tear contraptions.

Booker joined the military at the age of 20 and killed a hundred people at Wounded Knee. Slate was his commanding officer in both realities. He got all depressed and somehow found time to become a Pinkerton agent of some renown, a gambling addict, and find a girlfriend to knock up with Anne. When he sells Anne (age 1) to Comstock, he must be in his late 20s. If Elizabeth/Anne is 20 when Booker finds her, Booker is in his mid to late-40s. The Booker on the game's boxart looks closer to 30.

He actually says in the game when Elizabeth ask how old he is.
    "South of 40, north of you."

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular

Ending spoilers.

I'm pretty sure the lutece brother was from the same time as comstock. He's not from bookers time. He went back to get the child for comstock so there was time travel involved.

• Options
    glimmungglimmung Registered User regular
    Relating to the encounter with Slate.
    I chose to kill Slate on my second play through. Any clue why he seems to be disgusted that you are "still a killer."
    Also did Slate seem to confuse Booker with Comstock in some of his dialog?

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    What was the horse in the E3 trailer?

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    wakkawa wrote: »

Ending spoilers.

I'm pretty sure the lutece brother was from the same time as comstock. He's not from bookers time. He went back to get the child for comstock so there was time travel involved.
    No, Comstock and Booker are the same age. Comstock appears much older thanks to a fun combination of cancer and accelerated aging, both due to exposure to Luteces prototype tear machine.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    edited April 2013

1999 mode starts with a warning that says you can't change the difficulty after you begin a new game.

Since most games that have difficulty based achievements require you to not change the difficulty or they're voided, I'm already in the habit of restarting a game if I need to change the difficulty. I've yet to eat a restart because a game was too hard, but I've wished I started a game at a higher setting because of this more than a few times (it's a waste of time to redo the parts I completed given that the challenge/discovery of the earlier parts is gone since I already know what to do).

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular

Ending spoilers.

No, Comstock and Booker are the same age. Comstock appears much older thanks to a fun combination of cancer and accelerated aging, both due to exposure to Luteces prototype tear machine.

I must have missed a recording or something then. To be honest, near the end of the game I just did not give too shits to go exploring. For being a shooter bioshock has really boring shooting gameplay. If they made these games RPGs or just movies they would be so much better.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    The first Bioshock wouldn't have worked as a movie. It is uniquely tied to the medium.

Infinite less so, and I can see it working as a movie, but I really feel that being an FPS helps enhance the overall player connection to certain recurring themes.

• Options
    I think the shootings pretty damn fantastic from what I've played. I'm curious what you thought was lacking in it.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular

Ending spoilers.

I must have missed a recording or something then. To be honest, near the end of the game I just did not give too shits to go exploring. For being a shooter bioshock has really boring shooting gameplay. If they made these games RPGs or just movies they would be so much better.

To each his own. I really enjoyed how meaty the guns felt, and the vigors, tears, and skylines changed up gameplay nicely.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com