Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The PA Report - Project Awakened goes for broke with independent crowdfunding after failed Kickstart

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

imageThe PA Report - Project Awakened goes for broke with independent crowdfunding after failed Kickstarter

You can't kill a superhero. Somehow they always come back, and so too has Project Awakened, an ambitious create-your-own hero game from ex-Midway developers, Phosphor Games. We first reported on Project Awakened back in early February, when the game launched its $500,000 Kickstarter campaign.

Read the full story here

Dog on

• Hell_MelHell_Mel Registered User regular
    I want very badly for this game to succeed, but I've come to terms that it most likely won't. Even following a survey they sent out following the failed kickstarter to gauge interest in an independent fund raiser (And have assumably gauged current goals to match survey results), there's less than 25% funding after 2-3 weeks. I don't know if it's a lack of interest, or a lack of exposure, but I feel that it's a shame that this one seems to be slipping by.

Perhaps I put too much stock in user generated content (Impossible!), but I feel like the modding potential in a game like this would be spectacular.

• Dr_AwkwardDr_Awkward Registered User regular
    I've always felt like project has had a lack of focus. They provide us all these powers and weapons and costumes, and all of that for what, exactly?

With all this violence-based customization, I have to ask - What's not been done here that other sandbox games have done? Look at Prototype, Infamous, GTA, Far Cry, even current and past MMOs like City of Heroes and DCU, and you'll notice that there isn't much that really makes the game stand out for itself.

I know this is out of the game's intended nature, but if they really want to aim for an open, story-less sandbox game that's quite different than the others, they might look into creating a game that's focused on creating machinima or RP-based gameplay, similar to that utilized in Garry's Mod. UE3 (and soon 4) really needs such a game anyhow...

• AeornFlippoutAeornFlippout Wisconsin, USARegistered User regular
    I think it's a mistake to leave Kickstarter. It's much easier to convert existing customers to another Kickstarter campaign than an offsite one, and there's a certain amount of trust and built-in sense of Urgency with Kickstarter, not to mention the obvious visibility. With enough built-in fans to get them halfway on the first one, surely their chances would have been much better the second time around, especially if they tuned the core ideas.

GG Crew
  • AeornFlippoutAeornFlippout Wisconsin, USARegistered User regular
    I think it's a mistake to leave Kickstarter. It's much easier to convert existing customers to another Kickstarter campaign than an offsite one, and there's a certain amount of trust and built-in sense of Urgency with Kickstarter, not to mention the obvious visibility. With enough built-in fans to get them halfway on the first one, surely their chances would have been much better the second time around, especially if they tuned the core ideas.

• Thanatos2kThanatos2k Registered User regular
    I don't think Pure Sandbox games are very appealing. The game has to have a point.

• GG CrewGG Crew Registered User regular
    I supported their failed Kickstarter, even with the same reservations as @Dr Awkward and @Thanatos2k. I prefer direction, choices, and consequences in my games. A "pure" sandbox gets boring after a little while; even successes in the genre include an underlying story: GTA, Prototype, inFamous, Red Faction: Guerilla...

I'm okay with the power fantasy behind Project Awakened - I want consequences for my actions. At what point will governments decide they want to end my crime spree with everything at their disposal? How does the city react to my unintentional destruction while I fight crime? I want persistence beyond 5 minutes. (Why don't the GTA cops continue to search for you even after you've ditched them for the umpteenth time?)

• LintManLintMan Registered User regular
    I was a backer of their KS, but I won't touch this non-KS version for a number of reasons:
    - I think that KS adds a extra layer of accountability that an independent fundraiser lacks (ie: projects can't retro-edit their home page or rewards once the KS closes)
    - Even the original $400K goal had seemed almost too small to me for making a decent single player story-based FPS. The new "2 games for $250K" really seems like not nearly enough money.
    - The reward tiers got more expensive. Before, you could pay $25 to get a copy of their $400k-cost game. Now they expect you to pay $35 to get a copy of their two games which together only cost $250K to develop.
    - They STILL haven't really provided enough details to sell people on their game. Yeah, big names like Doublefine, Obsidian, etc can get away with vague genre descriptions: "it's gonna be an RPG!", but people expect more details from relative unknowns. just showing a cool engine and then saying "yeah we're going to make a game with it" isn't enough.
    - It's starting to feel a bit sleazy for the devs to still be using their KS backer list to rally funding for their non-KS project.

• teknoarcanistteknoarcanist Registered User regular
    I've backed them twice, but their problem is pretty simple: they're not active enough. On Kickstarter, you should have a number of videos and updates prepared well in-advance. Project Awakened goes a week or more sometimes without anything so much as a comment in their own thread. That just doesn't fly with crowdfunding.

• GameIndustryVetGameIndustryVet Registered User regular
    This is ridiculous.

How are we to trust that they'll actually return the money if the funding goal fails? How are we to trust them if they say the goal has been met?

Kickstarter only takes a 5% cut of the money raised. That's a small price to pay for trust.

• teknoarcanistteknoarcanist Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    @Gameindustryvet Because if they don't return the money, none of them will ever work in the game industry again? They'll be publicly castigated and completely ruin their names and reputations? I would understand if these were total newcomers with nothing to show, but these are Midway vets who have made their careers in game development. Shitting the bed that way is not even remotely an option for these guys. And it wouldn't even be worth it; a few hundred thousand (if that), split between (I assume) at least a few dozen people.

teknoarcanist on
  • GameIndustryVetGameIndustryVet Registered User regular
    @TEKNOARCANIST

I think if they were $50,000 short, one of them could simply say "Ok I'll donate $50,000", which he will never actually get around to paying, and they'll take the money.

We'd never hear about it.

• Gnomeland SecurityGnomeland Security Registered User regular
    I saw this and decided to pass.

I, as a gamer, looked at this and my first reaction was "wow someone is trying to take everything that made bioshock cool (abilities, game play, etc) and put it in a different setting and story."

That as my knee-jerk reaction had to have been shared by others. And in that case, Im sure most of us will just wait for 2k games to take the initiative to apply their engine instead of re-inventing the wheel.

Again, this is just an opinion, maybe i dont see what others do

• timsmtimsm Registered User new member
    Ok this is the kinds of games I want to play I don't understand why this hasn't already been made this is the kinda of inovation that the gaming industries needs not crap games like cal of duty and battifield and bioshock and crysis and halo and resitince fall of man that they put out every year Sony should have taken this and made it an exclusive game it just makes me so mad that thousands of first person shooters get made every year while games like this get left out project awkend is the game I have allways wanted to play since I was a kid mark my words when this game finanly comes out it will be one of the best selling games of all time and by the way this game looks nothing like bioshock project weekend looks life times better I don't care much for bioshock just another first person shooter to me project awekend is the game for me

• timsmtimsm Registered User new member
    What they are doing with this has never been done in any other game ever its complete carecter customization and endless powers to choose from it like project spark but way better and peaple are in love with that game and theres like next to no carecter customization in project spark witch kind of sucks but any ways you can create any carecter you want In project awakend with the only limit is your amagination I really hope and pray this game gets made if I where a million air I would give this team any amount of money they needed to make it the best game it could be to bad I'm not a million air