As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What are some good games to just sort of hang out in?

DirtyDirty Registered User regular
This feels like such a lame topic, but my friends and I used to play a lot of Skate online. It was great because there were plenty of challenges to do if you were in the mood for structure, but you could also just shoot the shit and skate around town. But with the franchise being dead, it's gotten boring. We need new places to go.

The problem is, most online co-op games are action-packed shooters. And those are a lot of fun, but the game just keeps pushing you forward, and 8-10 hours later, you're done. And of course, everyone needs to shut up so you can follow the story.

I was looking at Minecraft. I played a demo before, and I wasn't really into it, but maybe the social aspect of building something together might make it more fun. Is it possible to get a feel for that in the demo? Or is the demo single-player only?

But really, I'm looking for just about any game with online co-op that's good for just dicking around, but having structured missions as well is a nice bonus.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2013
    Burnout Paradise.

edit: that's not co-op though.

edit edit: though I never played it in multiplayer so I'm not sure how it actually works.

Echo on
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. That actually used to be our go-to game prior to getting into the Skate series. But that is the kinda thing I'm talking about.

• Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    Well shit I came in here to suggest Skate. Having given the question some more thought, the Test Drive Unlimited games have open-world driving. There's also GTA IV or Red Dead Redemption.

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    The thing about GTA4 is that it's great for a few days, but after a while, you realize that the only things to do in free mode are a) murder cops; b) murder each other; and c) crash vehicles.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Man, I feel pretty confident that as long as you enjoy the building aspect of Minecraft, that should fit your bill really nicely. Minecraft is the ultimate game to simply fuck about in.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    MInecraft would probably be what you're looking for. I don't remember if the trial had online, though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    The thing about GTA4 is that it's great for a few days, but after a while, you realize that the only things to do in free mode are a) murder cops; b) murder each other; and c) crash vehicles.
    Well yeah

We realized that and then kept playing

But if it don't appeal, it don't appeal

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Echo wrote: »
    Burnout Paradise.

edit edit: though I never played it in multiplayer so I'm not sure how it actually works.

Online does have a neat co-op/playground type mode.

Actually the new Most Wanted has something similar online too, not surprising as they're both Criterion. Every few minutes a new random event pops up, could be a race, stunt thing, silly event like drive around a big sphere statue the most times, it's a lot of fun.

Both Crackdowns will be cheap now too, running and jumping around a city together is super fun.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Despite being a strictly timed chore simulator Harvest Moon games can be delightful to just run around in, talking to random people and taking in the chill music and sights. A Wonderful Life is a great example of it. I don't really like the farming mechanics in that one at all but some of the sunsets/sunrises are truly lovely.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Echo wrote: »
    Burnout Paradise.

Online does have a neat co-op/playground type mode.

Actually the new Most Wanted has something similar online too, not surprising as they're both Criterion. Every few minutes a new random event pops up, could be a race, stunt thing, silly event like drive around a big sphere statue the most times, it's a lot of fun.

Both Crackdowns will be cheap now too, running and jumping around a city together is super fun.

Except that if you don't want to do it, you're teleported to the start point so that you have to do at least start.

quarthinos on
  • Options
    OverstrikeOverstrike Registered User regular
    You might want to look at Starbound, Its not out yet but should be this year.

3DS: 4699-6738-3557
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Though it would be limited to just you and one other friend, I would suggest Saints Row 2 and Dead Rising 2: Off the Record.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Does anyone still play Wurm Online? I remember wasting many, many hours doing virtually nothing in that game except hanging out with other PA dudes while growing crops or digging out hills or something equally asinine. Great times. I ended up having to quit playing entirely though because I was spending way too much time on it instead of actually getting things done in real life. If that's what you're going for though, it might be worth looking into.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I wasn't really into Minecraft either, but maybe try Terraria? I fell into a deep hole with that one..

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Maybe we'll check out Terraria first.

Does Minecraft ever go on sale? Or is it always $26.95?

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    If you play the Soldiers: Heroes of World War II or Men of War coop campaigns, the dicking around possibilities are endless and amazing. Some of my fondest coop memories include stealing an enemy Panther tank only to have my friend shoot me because he didn't check to see that it was me before firing, or capturing a bunch of enemy munitions, sticking them in a pile, then blowing them all up.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Jedi Outcast has some people still hanging around after work hours. Basically you can run around and do FFA, saber duels with other players, or kill people with powers if you are on a force server.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Saints Row 2 and 3 have amazing two player co-op that's great for screwing around. There's coop specific activities and just a huge amount of insane shit to get into.

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Does anyone still play Wurm Online? I remember wasting many, many hours doing virtually nothing in that game except hanging out with other PA dudes while growing crops or digging out hills or something equally asinine. Great times. I ended up having to quit playing entirely though because I was spending way too much time on it instead of actually getting things done in real life. If that's what you're going for though, it might be worth looking into.

Oh man, Wurm Online was awesome. I remember the pilgrimage I had to make to find PA's very secluded spot. It involved being very, very lost and getting attacked by a lot of giant spiders. Good times.

JKKaAGp.png