As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad News Gone Right -- Move along to version 2.0

Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat PersonBostonRegistered User regular
edited September 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
I didn't see any thread about absolutely horrible news pieces, so why not make one. After all, we've all had our share of atrocious news items.

So let's start with this: Man buys toy poodles, discovers they’re actually ferrets on steroids

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
Le_Goat on

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Pretty fucked up, Joey.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I stopped reading at "reports the Daily Mail".

I'm going to go with it being an urban myth along the lines of sheep being sold as poodles in Japan (which was covered by The Sun in the UK, a similar standard of newspaper).

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Looks like they got it from AN, which I guess is argentinan.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    I'm sorry, but this is not horrible; juicer attack weasels is pure, evil-overlord awesome.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I stopped reading at "reports the Daily Mail".
    Oh, I never said this was a reputable source. However, I have two questions:
    1) Does anyone really need to have a checklist to review when determining the differences between a poodle and a ferret?
    2) What animal was the alleged Chihuahua really? I mean they mention it, but don't say what the animal was

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    1) Does anyone really need to have a checklist to review when determining the differences between a poodle and a ferret?

I can think of one person - a hack journalist trying to reach 500 words before he knocks off at five :P

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The lady said the chihuahua was a brazilian rat, which I guess means ferret. I don't know.

PLA on
  • Options
    When I Google "brazilian rat" (not exhaustive), all I get is references to this story and regular rats which happen to be in Brazil.

• Options
    Possibly the giant wooly rat. They get up to a foot long and are quite common in Brazil.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Possibly the giant wooly rat. They get up to a foot long and are quite common in Brazil.

also they only speak rat-Portuguese as opposed to rat-English

• Options

What about Pidgin-Rat?

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    Clown ShoesClown Shoes Give me hay or give me death. Registered User regular
    When I Google "brazilian rat" (not exhaustive), all I get is references to this story and regular rats which happen to be in Brazil.

I would have thought that their wax policy would have removed most examples of the Brazilian rat by now.

More importantly, given the picture in the article, why would anyone buy a poodle when you could get the far cuter ferret on steroids?

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Speak! The loyal capybara!

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    News photo of the officers catching the perps red-handed:

tumblr_mkymy3jwf81rzzfa0o1_500.png

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Jesus, "Simpsons did it" rings true in EVERYTHING.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options

What about Pidgin-Rat?

tumblr_ljrq14r2J21qbbmr1o1_400.jpg?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Jesus, "Simpsons did it" rings true in EVERYTHING.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Man Saws Arms Off in Home Depot

Is it sad that I'm more concerned about the fact that they had to inform readers who MacGyver was rather than the guy who sawed his freaking arms off? Have we gotten that old to the point where the general public no longer remembers MacGyver?

Also, the common belief around my office is that this guy must be a zombie

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    MacGyver shall never be forgotten!
    macgyver-multitool.jpg

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    Oddly enough, I feel badly for the people who were inside the store and just running around in panic. Mostly, because that sounds like something I would do when freaking out.

But geez man, BOTH arms, it's just, .... D: .

sig.gif
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    I wonder what compelled him to keep going after the first arm. Maybe he was just obsessive-compulsive about achieving symmetry.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    What's great about this is that the whole thing started with a guy in the office asking about obtaining a large saw for a home improvement project. He was directed to Home Depot as they'll saw anything you ask them to, which he thought was odd and probably a liability concern. Regardless, Home Depot sawed what he asked them to, and were actually quite eager to do so. The next day, he reads this article and passes it on to the guy who recommended Home Depot to him. They in turn pass it on to me because they assumed that zombies were at fault here, and I love zombies. This developed into me questioning the need to explain who MacGyver was, which lead to a company-wide poll of all people under 30 as to whether or not they know who MacGyver was (most did not, sadly).

So the order of events:
    1. Question about a home improvement project.
    2. Article about a man sawing his arms off.
    3. The youth of America does not know who MacGyver is

I believe my job is done. I think I should be given the rest of the day off, with pay.

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Here's an excellent Twitter account for atrocious news articles:

Florida Man

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    The titles of those stories are more than what I want to know.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Gettin real sick of your shit Florida Man

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

el squeak

• Options
    Have we gotten that old to the point where the general public no longer remembers MacGyver?

Yes. I work in universities and I saw a poster today for a '90s themed student night. Thing is, I remember seeing '70s & '80s theme nights when I was a student and joking with my friends that we'd know we were old when they got around to the '90s.

• Options
    Unfortunately, you're terrible right...

@Darklyre Those are fantastic

• Options
    Wait, '90s-theme? Why would anyone want that?

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Darklyre wrote: »
    Here's an excellent Twitter account for atrocious news articles:

Florida Man

This has convinced me to sign up for Twitter

Congratulations

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    "We don't know anything about his history, motive, concerns at this point."

History: extreme mental illness

Motive: extreme mental illness

Concerns: extreme mental illness

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    PLA wrote: »
    Wait, '90s-theme? Why would anyone want that?

I think it said something like "90s UV RAVE" so it'll probably be all glowsticks, whistles and happy hardcore.

• Options
    UV-raves were in the '90s? All I remember is baseballcaps. Baseballcaps all the way down.

• Options
    There were far worse things than baseball caps. Maybe you have some kind of trauma induced mental block - I wish I had.

I'm so glad I was part of the alternative/punk/skater/hip-hop demographic. At least we got to watch all the trendy kids paying twice what we did for the clothes we were wearing 3-5 years previously as we got older.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Man Saws Arms Off in Home Depot

Is it sad that I'm more concerned about the fact that they had to inform readers who MacGyver was rather than the guy who sawed his freaking arms off? Have we gotten that old to the point where the general public no longer remembers MacGyver?

Also, the common belief around my office is that this guy must be a zombie

Holy balls I've went to that exact Home Depot many times, before they opened up a closer one.

• Options
    I think it said something like "90s UV RAVE" so it'll probably be all glowsticks, whistles and happy hardcore.
    Please... no happy hardcore... I couldn't take that again

• Options
    Study: People Empathize with Robots... and boxes... and a real woman

Seriously, how the fuck did this get funded? "Excuse me, I'd like to have funding for a study to measure how people respond to me beating the crap out of inanimate objects, but I'd also like to include my lab assistant as well."

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I just used a paperclip to short out a PSU so it's "always on."

Fucking multitool is right.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    Study: People Empathize with Robots... and boxes... and a real woman

Seriously, how the fuck did this get funded? "Excuse me, I'd like to have funding for a study to measure how people respond to me beating the crap out of inanimate objects, but I'd also like to include my lab assistant as well."

Hey.

...........Wait-a-minut.

Robots? cubes? REAL WOMAN?

Apertuuuuuuuuure! *shakes fist*

sig.gif
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I just used a paperclip to short out a PSU so it's "always on."

Fucking multitool is right.

Reminds me of when we tried to add a coffee maker to a main engineering space. Wired it in and everytime we turned it on, the fuse would blow.

So we put a paper clip unde the fuse. No more problem.

newSig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.