As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad News Gone Right -- Move along to version 2.0

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    I just used a paperclip to short out a PSU so it's "always on."

Fucking multitool is right.

Reminds me of when we tried to add a coffee maker to a main engineering space. Wired it in and everytime we turned it on, the fuse would blow.

So we put a paper clip unde the fuse. No more problem.

Paperclips. The power to create civilization...or end it.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Le_Goat wrote: »

That story... my god that story. Every single sentence of it blows my mind in at least two different ways.

EDIT:

I think my favourite sentence is the final one. “For once in my life, I’ve become that sucker,” he said. Yes, he definitely strikes me as a guy who's had a lifetime of smart forward-thinking decisions up to this point.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I'm convinced that he never intended on winning the Xbox Kinect. He wanted that god damn banana. Look how he holds it while basking in the sun's rays...

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    There's always money in the banana.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    It's still early in the day, but this had me laughing: You Cannot Name Your Baby "Lucifer" in New Zealand (and other banned names)

Someone really wanted to name their kid "4Real" or "Anal"? I truly love this article.

Hello, my name is Number 16 Bus Shelter.

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    It's still early in the day, but this had me laughing: You Cannot Name Your Baby "Lucifer" in New Zealand (and other banned names)

Someone really wanted to name their kid "4Real" or "Anal"? I truly love this article.

Four years ago, a 9-year-old girl was taken away from her parents by the state so that her name could be changed from "Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii."

I just don't even know how to think about this.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options

"Christ," too, was rejected.

Literally an example of a secular government rejecting Christ.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

How romantic - named after the place you were conceived.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Ooops, wrong thread.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Ooops, wrong thread.
    No, please... stay...

• Options
    RikksRikks Registered User regular
    using back slash between names:8

Really? The others were pretty funny, but come on.

Although I do want to have triplets, so I can name my children Control, Alt and Delete.

• Options
    Rikks wrote: »

Although I do want to have triplets, so I can name my children Control, Alt and Delete.

The child abuse lawsuits write themselves.

"Every time my computer froze, Rikks told me to hit Control, Alt, Delete."

sig.gif
  • Options
    Man wearing ‘jail sucks’ T-shirt arrested and sent to jail.
    Manatee deputies arrested 40 other people Wednesday and have warrants out for dozens more in the undercover sting operation.
    Fucking undercover sea cows will get you every time.

• Options
    80-year-old woman threatened by police for donating cheese to downhill race

I don't know what I find more fascinating: the race or the fact that the police are choosing to threaten the lady with legal action

• Options
    Clown ShoesClown Shoes Give me hay or give me death. Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    All the police have done here is guarantee that she's going to get a lot more people wanting to buy her cheese and probably a lot of people offering to donate cheeses for the race.

I really don't understand how the police can be so dozy - whenever you tell the British not to do something silly, you either get more people doing it out of protest or you're just throwing down the gauntlet for someone to come up with something even sillier.

That's how one rolls, pip pip!

Clown Shoes on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    It sounds like its a legal liability issue, where if she is donating cheese for people to chase down the hill, then when they inevitably hurt themselves, she could be held liable for damages.

The police should have just been much more of a friendly "The more you know!" kind of thing with her, to make sure she understands the legal ramifications of sponsoring an event that the city no longer condones because of safety issues.

EDIT: For all I know, that may already be how the police approached her, but being an elderly lady and not a legal scholar, she immediately went to panic mode and found it intimidating / threatening.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

Kids need boundaries

And mommas need their fucking breaky pastries!

• Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular

I don't know what I find more fascinating: the race or the fact that the police are choosing to threaten the lady with legal action
    I find it strange that potential law suit was brought up. It's the UK. They have health coverage. No ones life is going to get ruined because they twisted their ankle. I can't imagine anyone successfully suing an event they chose to participate in.

• Options
    Siska wrote: »

I find it strange that potential law suit was brought up. It's the UK. They have health coverage. No ones life is going to get ruined because they twisted their ankle. I can't imagine anyone successfully suing an event they chose to participate in.

People chose to play Lawndarts too, doesn't make the manufacturers/sponsers no longer liable.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    is your dad a cop or what

• Options
    I'm not sure how that would be relevant, but no, I'm not related to any police officers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That just made my day, and it only just started. Thank you.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Cheese Race Update!!!!!
    Complete with still images, animated gifs (including levitating pushups), and a YouTube clip of the actual race.

America, Fuck Yeah!
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/angrysoups/an-all-american-hero-just-won-the-gloucestershire-avsv
    http://youtu.be/LOCAMbZ140c

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    It sounds like its a legal liability issue, where if she is donating cheese for people to chase down the hill, then when they inevitably hurt themselves, she could be held liable for damages.

The police should have just been much more of a friendly "The more you know!" kind of thing with her, to make sure she understands the legal ramifications of sponsoring an event that the city no longer condones because of safety issues.

EDIT: For all I know, that may already be how the police approached her, but being an elderly lady and not a legal scholar, she immediately went to panic mode and found it intimidating / threatening.

I work at a sheriff's office doing office work. To put it lightly... many old people are kiiiiiinda crazy. They often think an officer saying "hello" or not returning their call in five minutes is a goddamn threat. ....They also enjoy telling me their age every minute or so.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Clown ShoesClown Shoes Give me hay or give me death. Registered User regular
    Cheese Race Update!!!!!
    Complete with still images, animated gifs (including levitating pushups), and a YouTube clip of the actual race.

America, Fuck Yeah!
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/angrysoups/an-all-american-hero-just-won-the-gloucestershire-avsv

For that, he gets promoted from "crazy yank" to eccentric - it's crazy with class.

He's still got time to dress as a bald eagle and enter the International Worthing Birdman competition. There's a £10k prize for the furthest flight over 100m.

• Options
    That would be awesome. I also thought it was great that he dressed like that. If you're going all out, might as well do the whole damn costume.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Richy wrote: »
    Rikks wrote: »

The child abuse lawsuits write themselves.

"Every time my computer froze, Rikks told me to hit Control, Alt, Delete."

exploits_of_a_mom.png

I cannot believe noone posted this in response yet. "Oh, little Bobby Tables!"

I literally could not believe that was not an onion story.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Need help eating a whopper? Now you're hands are free!!!!!!

The video does not work in the article, so I've provided it for you here. Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww3GbL-n0j0

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Actually, that looks a little hard to eat without messing up.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    jesus christ, was it mad tv that had the joke of the fast food feed bag?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MelokuMeloku Ask me about my Illusions Registered User regular
    The Onion, actually.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    so the people at the Washington Post have no sense of humor or are just going with mock outrage or genuinely can't tell the difference between a joke ad and a real product. there's really no right answer there, is there. :(

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    LAPD confronts Call of Duty 'Ghost' statue in tense standoff
    Late last night the offices of Los Angeles-based independent game studio Robotoki were stormed by the Los Angeles Police Department after a curious designer pressed the building's "panic" button, studio founder Robert Bowling told Polygon.

The 911 response ended in a tense showdown with a life-sized statue of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2's Simon "Ghost" Riley, which the police mistook for a gunman.

Earlier today reports circulated that the studio had been the victim of a "swatting" prank, in which a third party tricks law enforcement authorities or emergency services by providing details of a made-up threat, triggering an emergency response dispatch to the target of the prank. Swatting pranks are not limited to 911 calls; swatters can spoof a victim's phone number, obtain and use a victim's personal information or hack phone and computer systems.

Bowling clarified that it wasn't a prank, but the mischievousness of an unnamed designer that brought the LAPD to his door.

"Our studio is equipped with a 'panic' alarm in case of an armed threat, which was installed yesterday," Bowling said. "One of our designers, who shall not be shamed, pressed it on his way out because apparently when boys find buttons that they are unsure of, their first instinct is to push it."

Bowling said the panic alarm was installed as a precaution to protect his team, "as game developers receive their fair share of death threats." He noted that Robotoki hasn't had any issues with threats, but it is something Bowling is familiar with from his days at Infinity Ward.

"So after pushing it, everyone went home for the day, leaving their lonely studio head to receive the assault of their actions," he added.

At 7:10 p.m. four officers arrived at the front of the building only to find that there was no way to get in from that side. As they moved around toward the back where Robotoki's entrance is located, the officers spotted Bowling's life-sized statue of Ghost standing at attention with his gun at the ready.

So they made entry.

"I was in my office when they arrived and saw them coming up our stairs, guns drawn," Bowling said. "They yelled for me to put my hands up and walk towards them slowly, then took me into custody and out of the studio until they cleared the rest of the rooms and floors."

Bowling said about 15 minutes later the officers emerged, laughing — they had mistaken Ghost for a real threat and had nearly taken him down. The photo above was taken from Robotoki's security cameras and shows the moment the cops approached Bowling's office.

Once they realized Bowling was neither a threat nor a hostage, discussion fell to Bowling's line of work and the ordeal ended with a round of video games using the office's NES controller table.

Bowling said there was no harm done and he was not fined for the false alarm. They chalked it up as a mistake, a miscommunication or misdirected prank.

"Until we reviewed the security footage and saw our designer's curiosity to be the cause."

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    because apparently when boys find buttons that they are unsure of, their first instinct is to push it."

Yup, sounds about right.

sig.gif
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I'm honestly surprised no one got riddled with bullets.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular

This is like one of the sitcoms or cartoons where the parents start a brawl at a kid's sports game, the kids stop playing then decide to go get ice cream or pizza together.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    LAPD confronts Call of Duty 'Ghost' statue in tense standoff
    Late last night the offices of Los Angeles-based independent game studio Robotoki were stormed by the Los Angeles Police Department after a curious designer pressed the building's "panic" button, studio founder Robert Bowling told Polygon.

The 911 response ended in a tense showdown with a life-sized statue of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2's Simon "Ghost" Riley, which the police mistook for a gunman.

Earlier today reports circulated that the studio had been the victim of a "swatting" prank, in which a third party tricks law enforcement authorities or emergency services by providing details of a made-up threat, triggering an emergency response dispatch to the target of the prank. Swatting pranks are not limited to 911 calls; swatters can spoof a victim's phone number, obtain and use a victim's personal information or hack phone and computer systems.

Bowling clarified that it wasn't a prank, but the mischievousness of an unnamed designer that brought the LAPD to his door.

"Our studio is equipped with a 'panic' alarm in case of an armed threat, which was installed yesterday," Bowling said. "One of our designers, who shall not be shamed, pressed it on his way out because apparently when boys find buttons that they are unsure of, their first instinct is to push it."

Bowling said the panic alarm was installed as a precaution to protect his team, "as game developers receive their fair share of death threats." He noted that Robotoki hasn't had any issues with threats, but it is something Bowling is familiar with from his days at Infinity Ward.

"So after pushing it, everyone went home for the day, leaving their lonely studio head to receive the assault of their actions," he added.

At 7:10 p.m. four officers arrived at the front of the building only to find that there was no way to get in from that side. As they moved around toward the back where Robotoki's entrance is located, the officers spotted Bowling's life-sized statue of Ghost standing at attention with his gun at the ready.

So they made entry.

"I was in my office when they arrived and saw them coming up our stairs, guns drawn," Bowling said. "They yelled for me to put my hands up and walk towards them slowly, then took me into custody and out of the studio until they cleared the rest of the rooms and floors."

Bowling said about 15 minutes later the officers emerged, laughing — they had mistaken Ghost for a real threat and had nearly taken him down. The photo above was taken from Robotoki's security cameras and shows the moment the cops approached Bowling's office.

Once they realized Bowling was neither a threat nor a hostage, discussion fell to Bowling's line of work and the ordeal ended with a round of video games using the office's NES controller table.

Bowling said there was no harm done and he was not fined for the false alarm. They chalked it up as a mistake, a miscommunication or misdirected prank.

"Until we reviewed the security footage and saw our designer's curiosity to be the cause."

That's not a statue that should fucking exist. And if it must, it should NOT be put somewhere in public view where it can be misunderstood. Jesus Christ that is some irresponsible shit.

This discussion has been closed.