As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[AGoT; tCG] - A Game of Thrones: The Card Game #1 - Lannister Wins. Others Die.

• Options
    calibercaliber Registered User regular
    Fair enough, I'll accept that. I'm suddenly reminded of Munchkin with the inevitable failure of the first person to go for level 10.

Anyway ...

Distinct Mastery to stand Ned Stark then end my challenge phase.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Crown Regent is the only thing standing between Lannister and victory, methinks. Just gotta keep him from easy points, and not take any bait.

Like I did. :)

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Can't military challenge him either, because of that stupid Septon. You better win your power challenge against them is what I'll say.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Deadly is not a triggered ability.
    Those have a Phase name or "Response" in front of them.
    Ned's Deadly kills Septon & Lannister gets the 2 Power.

stever777 on
    Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    In-Play Cards

Stark - caliber
    med_gallery_11_140249.jpg
    med_gallery_11_329823.jpg
    med_gallery_1_6_56927.jpg
    med_gallery_6_114511.jpg
    med_gallery_1_6_317237.jpg
    med_gallery_6_278672.jpgmed_gallery_11_247787.jpgmed_gallery_6_20813.jpg
    agotcr.jpg
    Crown Regent
    Add 3 to your side’s total STR in any Power challenge in which you have at least one participating character.
    Special ability: Once per round, after a player initiates a challenge and declares a target and attackers, you may make that player choose a new legal target. If there are no other legal targets, the attack goes through against the original target. Players can never choose to attack themselves.

Standing

CHARACTER - Eddard Stark - Unique - Cost: 4 - STR: 3 - Icon: Military, Power - Lord. - Stalwart. Renown. Deadly. - Eddard Stark claims 1 power when he comes into play. - Crest: Noble

LOCATION - Frozen Outpost - Cost: 2 - Winterfell. Stronghold. - Challenges: Kneel Frozen Outpost to choose and stand 1 defending character. Until the end of the challenge, that character gets +2 STR (+4 STR instead if it is a War character).

LOCATION - Godswood - Cost: 2 - Winterfell. - Limited. - Marshalling: Kneel Godswood to lower the cost of the next House Stark character you play this phase by 2.

LOCATION - Riverrun - Cost: 2 - Westeros. - House Tully. - No attachments. At the end of the challenge phase, if you have not lost a challenge this round, each House Tully character you control claims 1 power.

Kneeling

CHARACTER - Catelyn Stark - Unique - Cost: 3 - STR: 3 - Icon: Intrigue, Power - Lady. House Tully. - Challenges: Put Catelyn Stark into play from your hand, knelt as a defender during an Intrigue or Power challenge initiated against you. At the end of the phase, if Catelyn Stark is still in play, return her to your hand. - Crest: Noble

CHARACTER - Qhorin Halfhand - Cost: 3 - STR: 2 - Icon: Military - Night's Watch. - Renown. - No attachments. Response: After you win a Military challenge by 4 or more total STR, choose and kill 1 non-unique character with printed STR 3 or less controlled by the losing opponent.

CHARACTER - Summer - Unique - Cost: 3 - STR: 3 - Icon: Military - Creature. Direwolf. - Deadly. - No Attachments. If you control Bran Stark, he gains: "cannot be chosen as the target of an opponent's event card." If Bran Stark is in play, lower the cost to play Summer by 2.

gallery_6_36203.jpg
    PLOT - Storm of Swords - Inc: 2 Init: 6 Claim: 1 - You may initiate an additional Military challenge during the challenge phase.

House Power = 8
    Eddard Stark Power = 5
    Gold Pool = 2
    Cards in Hand = 6

Lannister - Iron Weasel
    med_gallery_11_302160.jpg
    med_cersei-lannister-lotr.jpgmed_gallery_11_194680.jpgmed_widows-wail-lotr.jpgmed_gallery_11_374485.jpgmed_gallery_11_368811.jpg
    med_gallery_11_336836.jpg
    med_gallery_11_407754.jpg
    med_gallery_11_206925.jpgmed_gallery_11_29390.jpg
    med_tribes-of-the-vale-lotr.jpg
    med_lannisport-treasury-lotr.jpg
    agotmw.jpg
    Master of Whispers
    Add 3 to your side’s total STR in any Intrigue challenge in which you have at least one participating character.
    Supports Master of Coin.
    Opposes Master of Laws, Crown Regent.

Standing

CHARACTER - Cersei Lannister - Unique - Cost: 4 - STR: 3 - Icon: Intrigue, Power - Lady. Queen. - Cersei Lannister does not kneel to attack during Intrigue challenges. Response: After you win an Intrigue challenge, Cersei Lannister claims 1 power. Then, Cersei Lannister gains your choice of stealth or deadly until the end of the phase. - Crest: Noble
    DUPLICATE CHARACTER - Cersei Lannister - Unique - Cost: 3 - STR: 3 - Icon: Intrigue, Power - Lady. - Dominance: Kneel Cersei Lannister and pay 2 gold to choose a character. Kneel that character if it is standing. That character does not stand during the standing phase this round. - Crest: Noble
    ATTACHMENT - Widow's Wail - Unique - Cost: 1 - Item. Weapon. - Infamy. - Attached character gets +2 STR. Response: After you win a challenge in which attached character participated, draw a card for each power on Widow's Wail.
    ATTACHMENT - Stinking Drunk - Cost: 1 - Condition. - Attached character gets -4 STR while participating in a challenge.
    EVENT - I'm You Writ Small - Challenges: Choose a character. Until the end of the phase, that character gains deadly. Then, attach I'm You Writ Small to a House Lannister character (counts as a Boon attachment with the text "Attached character gets +2 STR").

CHARACTER - Chella, Daughter of Cheyk - Unique - Cost: 3 - STR: 3 - Icon: Military - Clansman. - Stealth. - Response: After you win a challenge in which at least 1 Clansman character participated, pay X gold to choose and return a location to its owner's hand, where X is the printed gold cost of that location.

CHARACTER - The Hound - Unique - Cost: 2 - STR: 4 - Icon: Military - Ally. - If The Hound is killed, place him in your discard pile instead of your dead pile. At the beginning of the dominance phase, discard the top card from your deck or discard the Hound from play (cannot be saved).

CHARACTER - Enemy Informer - Cost: 3 - STR: 2 - Icon: Military,Intrigue - House Tyrell. - Response: After you play Enemy Informer from your hand, choose and kneel a character.
    ATTACHMENT - Gilded Plate - Cost: 0 - Armor. - Response: Pay 1 gold and discard Gilded Plate from play (cannot be saved) to save attached character from being killed or discarded.

CHARACTER - Tribes of the Vale - Cost: 2 - STR: 6 - Icon: Military - Army. Clansman. Ally. - No attachments except Weapon. Tribes of the Vale gets -4 STR if you have more cards in hand than any opponent.

LOCATION - Lannisport Treasury - Cost: 2 - Lannisport. - Limited. - +2 Gold.

Kneeling

gallery_11_298796.jpg
    PLOT - Planning Ahead - Inc: 3 Init: 0 Claim: 1 - Skip the taxation phase this round.

House Power = 6
    Cersei Lannister Power = 5
    Widow's Wail Power = 2
    Gold Pool = 2
    Cards in Hand = 1

Baratheon - jdarksun
    med_gallery_11_304322.jpgmed_gallery_11_195836.jpg
    med_gallery_65_53244.jpg
    med_gallery_65_29556.jpgmed_bastard-lotr.jpg
    med_gallery_65_339502.jpgmed_gallery_11_43463.jpg
    med_gallery_65_272900.jpg
    med_gallery_11_99287.jpgmed_gallery_11_76749.jpg
    med_gallery_11_240893.jpg
    med_gallery_11_285365.jpg
    med_gallery_65_42239.jpg
    med_gallery_11_84269.jpg
    med_gallery_11_353309.jpgmed_gallery_11_95831.jpg
    med_gallery_11_214267.jpg
    agotlc.jpg
    Lord Commander of the Kingsguard
    Add 3 to your side’s total STR in any Military challenge in which you have at least one participating character.
    Special ability: Once per round, when an opponent is attacked by Military challenge by another opponent and decides not to declare any defenders, you can make yourself the target of the attack. The attacker cannot back out of the challenge; any characters he declared as attackers now attack you. If you win, you move 1 power from the attacker’s House to your own. If you lose, you must satisfy the attacker’s claim. You cannot use this ability if you are not a legal target for the declared attack.

Standing

HOUSE ATTACHED LOCATION - King Robert's Chambers - Unique - Cost: 1 - King's Landing. - You may choose to play King Robert's Chambers as an attachment to your House card. - +1 Gold. 1 Influence.

CHARACTER - Stannis Baratheon - Unique - Cost: 4 - STR: 3 - Icon: Military, Power - Lord. King. - Renown. - If Stannis Baratheon is the only House Baratheon King character in play, he gains: "Players cannot draw cards through card effects." - Crest: Noble

CHARACTER - Ser Cortnay Penrose - Unique - Cost: 3 - STR: 3 - Icon: Military, Power - Lord. Knight. - During Power challenges, Ser Cortnay Penrose gets +2 STR and gains vigilant.
    ATTACHMENT - Bastard - Cost: 1 - Condition. - After you play Bastard from your hand, discard all other attachments on attached character. Attached character gains the Bastard trait, loses a Power icon, and cannot have attachments played on it.

CHARACTER - Maester Pylos - Unique - Cost: 2 - STR: 2 - Icon: Intrigue - Maester. - Stealth. - Response: After you win an Intrigue challenge in which Maester Pylos attacked alone, discard (at random) 1 card in Shadows controlled by the losing opponent.

CHARACTER - Selyse Baratheon - Unique - Cost: 2 - STR: 2 - Icon: Intrigue, Power - Lady. House Florent. - Challenges: Kneel 1 influence to choose a unique character. Until the end of the phase, that character gains an Intrigue icon. - Crest: Holy
    ATTACHMENT - Shadow's Blessing - Cost: 1 - Condition. - Attached character gets +2 STR while it has a Power icon. Attached character gets -2 STR while it does not have a Power icon.

CHARACTER - Knight of Flowers - Unique - Cost: 3 - STR: 3 - Icon: Military - Knight. Kingsguard. - No attachments. At the beginning of the dominance phase, Knight of Flowers claims 1 power if he is standing.

CHARACTER - Renly's Courtier - Cost: 2 - STR: 1 - Icon: Intrigue, Power - Ally. - Any Phase: Kneel Renly's Courtier to choose a non-unique character. Until the end of the phase, treat that character as though its printed text box were blank (except for Traits).

CHARACTER - Fanatical Follower - Cost: 1 - STR: 1 - Icon: Military - Brotherhood. - Fanatical Follower gets +1 STR for each Roseroad and each Searoad in play.

CHARACTER - Host of Storm's End - Cost: 5 - STR: 6 - Icon: Military, Power - Army. - No attachments. - Crest: War

LOCATION - Crossroads - Cost: 2 - Westeros. - +1 Gold. 1 Influence.

LOCATION - Aegon's Garden - Cost: 0 - Dragonstone. - Limited. - +1 Gold.

LOCATION - Narrow Sea - Cost: 0 - Westeros. - Marshalling: Discard Narrow Sea from play to reduce the cost of the next House Stark or House Baratheon character you play this phase by 2. - 1 Influence.

Kneeling

CHARACTER - Ser Guyard Morrigen - Unique - Cost: 3 - STR: 3 - Icon: Military, Power - Knight. Rainbow Guard. - No attachments except Weapon. House Baratheon Lord characters you control gain stealth.
    ATTACHMENT - Lightbringer - Unique - Cost: 2 - Item. Weapon. - Vigilant. - House Baratheon character only. - Response: Kneel Lightbringer to save attached character from being killed.

gallery_11_348553.jpg
    PLOT - Fleeing to the Wall - Inc: 3 Init: 3 Claim: 1 - Affects Others. When revealed, each player chooses up to 3 locations. All locations not chosen are discarded from play (cannot be saved).

House Power = 11
    Selyse Baratheon Power = 1
    Gold Pool = 1
    Cards in Hand = 2

Targaryen - enlightenedbum
    med_gallery_11_80409.jpg
    med_gallery_11_125982.jpgmed_daenerys-targaryen-qod.jpg
    med_gallery_11_315208.jpg
    med_gallery_11_64779.jpg
    med_gallery_11_213369.jpgmed_gallery_11_48708.jpg
    med_gallery_11_32349.jpg
    med_blue-lipped-warlock-qod.jpg
    med_gallery_11_358153.jpgmed_gallery_11_358153.jpgmed_gallery_11_358153.jpgmed_gallery_11_353309.jpg
    agotml.jpg
    Master of Laws
    Draw an additional card when you draw cards during the draw phase. This does not count towards your draw cap for the round.
    Supports Hand of the King.
    Opposes Master of Whispers.

Standing

CHARACTER -Daenerys Targaryen - Unique - Cost: 3 - STR: 3 - Icon: Intrigue, Power - Lady. Queen. - Renown. - If you win a challenge in which Daenerys Targaryen attacked alone, move all gold tokens from the losing opponent's gold pool to your gold pool. - Crest: Noble
    CHARACTER - Daenerys Targaryen - Unique - Cost: 4 - STR: 3 - Icon: Intrigue, Power - Lady. Queen. - Renown. - Dragon characters you control do not kneel to attack. - Crest: Noble

CHARACTER - Viserys Targaryen - Unique - Cost: 1 - STR: 1 - Icon: Power - Lord. - Response: Save Viserys Targaryen from being killed or discarded from play, then return him to his owner's hand.

CHARACTER - Drogon - Unique - Cost: 4 - STR: 4 - Icon: Military, Power - Creature. Dragon. - Stealth. - No attachments. Any Phase: Pay 2 gold to choose a character. Until the end of the phase, that character gets -1 STR and is killed if its STR is 0. (Limit once per phase.)

CHARACTER - Quaithe of the Shadow - Unique - Cost: 2 - STR: 2 - Icon: Military, Power - Qartheen. - Opponents may not choose Quaithe of the Shadow as the target of an event card or character ability while she has at least 1 attachment.
    ATTACHMENT - Blood of the Dragon - Cost: 3 - Condition. - While participating in a challenge, attached character gets +6 STR and gains the Dragon trait.

CHARACTER - Pentoshi Guildmaster - Cost: 3 - STR: 2 - Icon: Military, Intrigue, Power - Mercenary. Asshai. - Response: After you win a challenge by 4 or more total STR, return Pentoshi Guildmaster from your discard pile to your hand. Then, you may pay 3 gold to put Pentoshi Guildmaster into play from your hand.

CHARACTER - Blue-Lipped Warlock - Cost: 2 - STR: 1 - Icon: Intrigue - Ally. Qartheen. - Blue-Lipped Warlock does not kneel to attack. Dominance: Return Blue-Lipped Warlock from your dead pile to your hand. Use this ability only if there are at least 3 characters in your dead pile.

LOCATION - Eastern Fiefdoms - Cost: 1 - Free Cities. - Limited - Marshalling: Kneel Eastern Fiefdoms to lower the cost of the next Targaryen card you play this phase by 1. - 1 Influence

LOCATION - Eastern Fiefdoms - Cost: 1 - Free Cities. - Limited - Marshalling: Kneel Eastern Fiefdoms to lower the cost of the next Targaryen card you play this phase by 1. - 1 Influence

LOCATION - Crossroads - Cost: 2 - Westeros. - +1 Gold. 1 Influence.

Kneeling

gallery_11_301329.jpg
    PLOT - Herding the Masses - Inc: 2 Init: 0 Claim: 2 - Non-unique characters cannot be declared as defenders.

House Power = 6
    Daenerys Targaryen Power = 3
    Gold Pool = 0
    Cards in Hand = 6

stever777 on

• Options
    The problem is, I can only redirect one challenge and they're a single point from victory. The Kingsguard has taken victory from me and given it to Lannister. Kinda like in the books, so I guess it's appropos but still. :P

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Well, that's not what I expected. Not that I'm complaining, of course.
    Though I am in fact 2 points from winning (Stark took 1 from me).

Challenges in a bit.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
  • Options
    Can't military challenge him either, because of that stupid Septon. You better win your power challenge against them is what I'll say.
    Of course, having won the redirect, jdark can now be Done in One thanks to a Stealthy, Renown Stannis.

It's a close game, no doubt.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    For reasons I can’t fully explain, this game has been inexplicably stressful for me, so I’m pleased that it’s finally going to end this turn with either a Lannister or Baratheon victory.

Military challenge versus Stark. The Hound and Chella lead the Tribes of the Vale (STR 13). Stealth target Ned.

Redirect or die, @caliber.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    edited June 2013
  • Options
    I think you meant that for the PM thread ;)

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    I'm having one of those days where I'm not spending much time in meatspace. I can't actually remember this morning.

• Options
    I don't see how it'll help, but I also don't see how I have any choice.

Crown Regent's perogative. Go attack someone else Lannister. Redirect.

• Options
    Aaazzzz yooooouuuu wiiiiiishhh

Redirect to Targaryen. Stealth Target Pentoshi Guildmaster.

@enlightenedbum

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Block with Drogon, Viserys dies and goes to my hand.

• Options
    Viserys doesn't return to your hand unless you save him.

Response: Save Viserys Targaryen from being killed or discarded from play, then return him to his owner's hand.

• Options
    I claim 1 power for a successful challenge versus an opposed Title (MoW v MoL).

Intrigue challenge versus Stark. Cersei and Enemy Informer attack (STR 8).

@caliber

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Double post? What double post?

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Kneel Narrow Sea for 1 Influence, grant Eddard Stark an Intrigue Icon (via Selyse Baratheon).

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Good play.

Also, I forgot to do this after my Military challenge:

Use Chella's ability to return Aegon's garden to Baratheon's hand

If @stever777 rules that it's too late that's ok.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Also, I forgot to do this after my Military challenge:

Use Chella's ability to return Aegon's garden to Baratheon's hand

Card returned to JD's hand.

• Options
    Cool, cheers.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    stever777 wrote: »
    Viserys doesn't return to your hand unless you save him.

Response: Save Viserys Targaryen from being killed or discarded from play, then return him to his owner's hand.

That means "if you save him from being killed, you return him to your hand?"

The way it reads to me it's that I can save him from being killed and return him to my hand whenever I want.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm not clear on what more ebum has to do to save Viserys. I mean, I guess he could specifically say "I save Viserys and return him to my hand" but I think that's understood, no?

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    There are cards which save characters from being killed or discarded from play.
    (eg. Lannister's Gilded Plate)

FAQ pg 12
    (4.9) The word "then"
    If a card uses the word "then," then the preceding effect must have been resolved successfully for the subsequent dependent effect to be resolved.

stever777 on

• Options
    That's awfully written. They seriously need to go consult with WotC development people.

• Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Pretty sure it works the way ebum says. From the rules:

"Save responses are special effects that interrupt and prevent the killing or discarding of a card in play. However, any costs of the killing/discarding action must still be paid."

A save response is something that says "Response: Save", just like Viserys does in this example.

• Options
    Why would the card say "then", then?
    Why wouldn't they just say "Response: Save Viserys Targaryen from being killed or discarded from play AND return him to his owner's hand."
    I think the FAQ makes it clear.

• Options
    Regardless, I don't think the three of us can stop this. I think I was in position to ninja the game if Master of Whispers wasn't a thing so this makes me sad.

• Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Because if something prevents him from being saved, (like a "Response: Cancel" effect), he doesn't then end up in the player's hand.

• Options
    Eddard defends, and is stood by the Frozen Outpost. 5 Str is still beaten by your 8 though. Take your power. I think that puts you at 15 yes? Grats Lannister, good game. :)

• Options
    edited June 2013
    I futilely play Forever Burning and use the 2 gold Stark totally just gave me targeting Enemy Informer. He dies. Cersei still has 6 STR and wins though. :(

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Guess I'm wrong on Vis.
    Looks like the forums oppose the view I'm putting forth.
    (Man, they could write these things better.)

• Options
    It's a wholly useless card if it's not my interpretation. Who would save the miserable little shit?

• Options
    I interpreted him EB's way as well; I think the card has the infinity symbol on it which means it's supposed to be hard to finish off, right?

• Options
    Lannister wins!!!

Congrats, IW!
    Interesting game, all!
    Thanks for playing this crazy thing.

• Options
    caliber wrote: »
    I interpreted him EB's way as well; I think the card has the infinity symbol on it which means it's supposed to be hard to finish off, right?

No, he's Unique.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Good game Lannister, and I mean it. When you convinced Baratheon to Kingsguard you I felt you had it in the bag then. Interesting considering that earlier in the game I thought you at quite a disadvantage! My how things turned around!

Maybe things would have played out different if I had stood Cat instead of Eddard but I don't really think so. Stark was never really able to recover from the slaughter of all its forces (the Red Wedding of our game, I suppose) and after that my characters were being killed off as fast as I could put them out as they made for easy pickings. It was only the accumulated momentum of my earlier game that allowed me to even play for a possible victory at this stage, and I still came pretty close!

This game sold me on GoT the card game enough I've ordered the core set, although I dunno if I'll ever get any of the expansions; it seems that for my purposes (friendly games with me supplying the game) I'd have to get all of the expansions to keep things even, which would be hella expensive. Maybe if I get enough friends into it we can pool money to get some expansions once the core set starts getting old hat.

Thanks a ton for running this stever! As with most games I play on here, I'd never have had a chance to experience this if it weren't for your efforts!

caliber on