As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Batman] - Arkham Knight - Delayed to 2015

UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
edited June 2014 in Games and Technology
Greetings, forumers!

This thread is about

yCL82HL.jpg

In particular, this version of Batman:

wrYQ7mz.jpg

And the world he occupies, which is the world of WB's Batman: Arkham Subtitle series

Let's go to where it all started.

Batman: Arkham Asylum hit back in 2009 and rocked faces. One, because it was a licensed product that had the polish and care of a triple-A game. Two, because it was from a little-known developer called Rocksteady Studios who had only one previous game under their belt (the game was alright). Three, because it had an amazingly fun and deep-but-not-too-deep combat system. And finally because it was a 3D Metroid game starring Batman.

Arkham Asylum tells the story of one really long night spent in Arkham Asylum (where else?), as Batman's longtime nemesis the Riddler has scattered 240 riddles over the grounds of the institution, engaging the so-called "World's Greatest Detective" in a battle of wits. After long and arduous mental exercises, Batman finally uses his fancy gadgets to zero in on the location of the Riddler and have him brought to justice.

Batman: Arkham City came out back in October of 2011 and was somehow even better. Now you had a whole section of Gotham to play in (dubbed Arkham City because the creators really need to shoehorn the word "Arkham" into everything to show it's part of the same series, showing a lack of faith in the awareness of the general public)! The section of Gotham that has been roped off for you to play in has, of course, been converted into a city-sized prison, proof that Gothamites should maybe just pack up and move to Star City or Metropolis or something. The Riddler is up to his old tricks again, and has this time scattered four hundred riddles across Arkham City, and has goaded you into another game of intellect by holding innocent people hostage.

RdU1cBE.jpg

Oh also the Joker's there? I guess? Probably doing something craaaaaazyyyyy.

Now let's fast forward to later this year, October 25th, 2013, to be exact

Batman: Arkham Origins

fh3rzE7.jpg

So let's get our big worry out in the open. First off, this is the first game in the series not being developed by Rocksteady. Rocksteady is instead taking their time on another project, likely a continuation of Arkham City, and they need to take their time on it and most likely put it on next-gen consoles and PC, where they will have the horsepower to have at least a thousand riddles.

That said, I'm not concerned. WB has basically been putting out nothing but quality product since they've become a major developer, and I have faith in them to not put this in the hands of someone who will fuck this up. The reins have been handed to WB Montreal. If Far Cry 3 and the Assassin's Creed games are anything to go by, people in Montreal are born with the gift to make good games.

Here is a laundry list of new additions (thanks to @Brainiac 8, pulled from the newest issue of Game Informer (May 2013 issue):
Story

- Takes place on Christmas Eve
- Years before the previous two games
- Mob boss Black Mask will give a fortune for Batman’s head
- Top assassins and supervillains from the DC Comics universe are out to get Batman
- Cops on the take from the mob join the manhunt as well
- Batman needs to outsmart his enemies, find out why Black Mask wants him dead, and prove to what good cops that he’s on their side

General

- Porting Arkham City to Wii U let the team get familiar with Unreal 3
- Doing a prequel lets the team carve a unique territory if Rocksteady were to move the Arkham timeline ahead down the road
- Rocksteady’s project is tightly under wraps
- Younger Batman also “gives us the opportunity to refresh things a bit”
- Combat system still in place
- Will have “new layers, new opportunities, and new tactics”
- New enemy types
- Batman not as finely honed as in the previous games
- Won’t control the Batwing directly
- Batwing will figure into story sequences and acts as a universe-appropriate form of fast travel
- Has the traditional predator mode in which players swing from perch to perch, glide kick, string guys upside-down, etc.
- New remote claw that is like the grappler in Just Cause 2
- Batman targets two objects and fires out a claw
- This hooks into the first object and launches another claw and rope to the second object
- Can then pull the two objects together
- Use this to knock enemies together, slam heavy objects into foes, string objects or people under a perch
- Can string up an explosive barrel under a perch, lure enemies with a sonic batarang, then cut the rope with a normal batarang, dropping the explosive on their heads
- Team knows Black Mask isn’t the most popular villain
- Old Gotham is only half of the game world
- Another new entire area is across the bridge called New Gotham
- New Gotham is classier and has much taller skyscrapers
- New zone doubles the size of the game world
- Players can dismantle the hacked tower network
- Towers emit a jamming signal that prevents the Batwing from flying into the area, meaning no fast travel
- It also halts Batman’s sensors from placing points of interest on the map
- Taking down the towers are varied and require all of Batman’s navigation, puzzle solving, and combat skills
- Some can be taken down quickly, others must be returned to later with an upgrade
- “Crime in Progress”: ex – saving some cops from a group of thugs, rescuing a snitch from being tossed off a roof
- Activities give Batman a chance for experience point bonuses
- Completing side quests also contributes to the GCPD’s understanding and appreciation of Batman
- They will begin to know Batman and which side he stands on based on how much you take on the optional missions
- Most Wanted system gives players a chance to go after villains outside of the core storyline
- These optional side missions can be tackled when you discover them
- Many optional missions offer upgrades
- Batman’s butler Alfred may notice that he had a tough time in that situation and give him a new gadget
- Dark Knight system is slightly more behind the scenes, though it’s still important
- Dark Knight system provides a lengthy string of tasks that slowly goes up in difficulty as the game progresses
- The team wants to avoid boring tutorials while still training players to be masters of predator and combat systems
- Complete a certain number of counters or silent takedowns to receive XP rewards or a specific upgrade
- Dark Knight system doesn’t replace challenge mode
- Team wants to make challenges more meaningful

Game demo

- Takes place about an hour into the game
- Batman is perched above Jezebel plaza
- Black Mask’s assassins have stirred up the local thugs
- No towering walls keeping villains in check and many citizens call Arkham City home since there isn’t a prison
- Amusement Mile hasn’t been flooded
- Batman is looking to find out why Black Mask is trying to kill him
- Batman decides to go to the party to track down Penguin, who hears about everything
- Eventually, Penguin gives some intel on a murder at Lacey Towers
- Claw grips Batman’s ankle and drags him out of the room before he can finish his questioning
- Batman reaches for the door, but his arm is stomped by a mysterious figure
- Batman ends up suspended upside-down from the rafters
- Deathstroke circles Batman with a drawn sword
- Batman blocks and disarms Deathstroke, using the sword to cut himself free
- Thanks to Penguin’s tip, Batman goes to Lacey Towers
- The cops say it’s a double homicide
- One victim is supposedly Black Mask
- Inside the apartment, Batman sees Black Mask’s girlfriend strung up on a chandelier
- Black Mask’s assumed body is laying face up across the room
- Batman goes into first-person detective vision to examine the situation

A lot of those sound pretty great. Nothing on riddles, worryingly, but Crime in Progress was something really cool that I loved in the Spider-Man games and would love to see here. Most Wanted system basically sounds like an Assassin's Creed-style assassination mission, except you're Batman so you don't get to kill them (supposedly! Maybe young Batman was reckless)

Also there's a multiplayer mode that was just announced! Think of it as Mercs vs. Spies, except it's Mercs vs. Batman.

http://youtu.be/60RH89sQ6-4

The Wii U will not be getting multiplayer. Just a little kernel to hold onto when deciding which version you should get.

Batman: Arkham Origins hits the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii U and PC on October 25th.

Here, have a CG teaser trailer that is not indicative of all of what the game will be like!

http://youtu.be/tq9bKYfyM-o

Sounds pretty cool, right? Well guess what?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7miRCLeFSJo

Because the other day they also announced

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate

Hopefully that's not the final title, or hopefully there's a dash in there so it becomes Arkham Origins - Blackgate because as it is it just looks awkward

Anyways, remember how I said these games are 3D Metroid games with Batman in it? Well, have you ever wondered what a 2D Metroid game would look like?

xWNfqok.jpg

With Batman in it?

Z8ip9a6.jpg

More pics in the spoiler tag
boPJeSG.jpg

AHFdyBD.jpg

089F4TL.jpg

Here is some footage of someone playing it on that gorgeous Vita screen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFnKpq5HykI

So things have a weird way of looping around. The Arkham games draw heavy inspiration from the Metroid style of map exploration, and now we have Armature Studio, a team founded by leads who worked on the Metroid Prime series, developing a 2D Metroid-inspired Batman game. I am so hyped for this it is driving me insane.

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate hits the Vita and 3DS on October 25th.

Discuss.

With me, because I'm going insane with glee over this announcement

UnbreakableVow on

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Yay Batman

batman-arkham-origins-1-600x336.jpg

batman-arkham-origins-2-600x338.jpg

batman-arkham-origins-3-600x336.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Reading this thread as I brood behind a giant monitor in the secret cavern below my apartment.

My roommate glares at me. He's not pleased that I woke him up to ready my car and make me tacos.

There's a radio in the distance monitoring the police band. A dispatcher sends a squad car to my area to investigate reports of a cowled man who'd been seen clumsily stalking a facially scarred war veteran.

For this game, I am ready.

also

I am the night.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    I really hope that blackgate eventually gets ported to the home consoles. My brother has a vita so I can always play it on that but I'd rather get it on my Wiiu/PS3.

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I will be THRILLED if the PS3 version comes with the Vita version as well, like a few other games have been doing lately.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Black Mask looks nice. A vaguely day of the dead feel-something about that snazzy white suit they've put him in. I like the idea of this immaculately dressed man who isn't afraid to get personally nasty like those screens imply. Walking to an interrogation in a suit like that but wielding a crude hatchet? yes

• Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Hey that looks nice. I think this go-round I get it for Wii U. The previous games I only owned on PC. I've played the console versions and wasn't necessarily impressed, but hopefully they do some nice GamePad integration so the control experience is more similar to PC. And then I can boot it up in the living room and Batman out for a few weeks.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Yay new thread! Yay new Batman! I feel like Green Lantern Batman should have that middle finger extended.

Also, that's probably the best OP ever :^:

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Also

GODDAMN, Blackgate looks sexy as hell.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I kinda wish there would be a less armor plated Batman in this prequel, but that's just my personal preference. I'm still getting this day one!

• Options
    I kinda wish there would be a less armor plated Batman in this prequel, but that's just my personal preference. I'm still getting this day one!

Yeah, looks like the same suit he's been wearing in the Arkham games. I think the ear point... things are shorter, though. Perhaps that's how you tell the maturity of a Batman. The length of the ear points. If you cross-section them, I bet there's rings.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Starting in on Arkham city after buying about a year ago on a Steam Sale. I remember reading somewhere there were some tips about how to play it without missing a bunch of content, is there any truth to that or should I just go be the night?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Starting in on Arkham city after buying about a year ago on a Steam Sale. I remember reading somewhere there were some tips about how to play it without missing a bunch of content, is there any truth to that or should I just go be the night?

You can play through the whole game as vengeance and the night.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KazooKazoo Get in the van. I have candy.Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    See, this is awesome because I have told my wife she is to give me a Vita for father's day. So, while Arkham Origins is loading on my PS3, I can play Arkham Origins Blackgate on my Vita. YAY!
    Every develop should do this.

Kazoo on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I don't think there's any missable content in Asylum other than MAYBE
    encountering Croc early in the sewers

I just realized this morning that the Origins "big list of bullet points" has no mention of the Riddler which is :( Hopefully WB Montreal will have something just as good in store.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    I've played all of 30 mins of Arkham City and;
    Bruce Wayne beating the hell out of the Penguin as himself was awesome. Also, I do not understand how the criminal justice systems works in Gotham, USA when a dude can just be incarcerated for staging a peaceful protest. COMMENTARY ON THE UNITED STATES OF HYSTERIA?!

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

Just do the first 5 VR missions early on.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    I've played all of 30 mins of Arkham City and;
    Bruce Wayne beating the hell out of the Penguin as himself was awesome. Also, I do not understand how the criminal justice systems works in Gotham, USA when a dude can just be incarcerated for staging a peaceful protest. COMMENTARY ON THE UNITED STATES OF HYSTERIA?!

It makes sense as you go.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Also, make sure you read the gotham stories as you unlock them. They fill in A LOT of blanks that otherwise you would say were plot holes.

Also I think I've played through AA four times and City around four or five.

Yes, I love this series. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I love Batman. He's been my favorite superhero ever since I was a kid.

I love Deathstroke. He was badass in Teen Titans and is one of the few BLOODPOUCH type characters to survive the 90s.

So yes. I will happily inject this game into my veins.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    ryvenryven Registered User regular
    I love Batman. He's been my favorite superhero ever since I was a kid.

I love Deathstroke. He was badass in Teen Titans and is one of the few BLOODPOUCH type characters to survive the 90s.

So yes. I will happily inject this game into my veins.

you and i were meant to be bros

• Options
    Funny enough, I'm not that big of a Batman fan out of the Animated series.

I love these games though, and it doesn't hurt that many pieces of the animated series were a part of it.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

I love these games though, and it doesn't hurt that many pieces of the animated series were a part of it.

Yeah I'm sure Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill help a lot.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Yeah I'm sure Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill help a lot.

Yessir, plus the writing by Dini and Sorkin being in the first game were awesome too.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Man, what was the difference between Slade in Teen Titans cartoon and the comic books. I feel like he was a merge of a few different villains, but I can't remember now.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    That's the only thing that has me worried about these games - no Dini. Hopefully they found a good substitute.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Wait a minute

This comes out October 25th?!

What the fuck

I'm a little overdue for a vacation so I was actually planning on taking the week off of work when these came out since I'd have two new Batman games to get through

But I was assuming it'd be on a Tuesday like usual, but October 25th is a Friday

I know that's a European thing but that's weird as hell for the American market

• Options
    October 25th? Wow, the exact date slipped past me.

Day after my birthday. These will be an awesome birthday present for myself.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I don't think there's any missable content in Asylum other than MAYBE
    encountering Croc early in the sewers

I just realized this morning that the Origins "big list of bullet points" has no mention of the Riddler which is :( Hopefully WB Montreal will have something just as good in store.

My only complaint about Arkham City is too many goddamn riddles

...said nobody, ever.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    My wish for this series would be insane New Game Plus, where you can play as Robin, Nightwing, Katana, Huntress, Catwoman, Red Robin, Batgirl, Batwoman, etc throughout the campaign. You can switch between all the people too.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Wot. October 25th? Looks like I'm buying myself a present!

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    October 25th? Wow, the exact date slipped past me.

Day after my birthday. These will be an awesome birthday present for myself.

We were born on the best day.

• Options
    Arkham City is great and I wish I played it earlier. Doing that AR Missions prior to the Steel Mill almost killed me. That stupid one where you have to gently glide through the tunnel? Ugh.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Don't worry, your newfound skills will trivialize all of TWO Riddler trophies later on.

No wait, they're still kind of tough. Shoot.

• Options
    I'm mostly okay with the Advanced AR gliding missions

Still, whenever I start a new game, they're the first thing I knock out just to get them out of the way

• Options
    Looks like Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate is running off the same engine as the Vita port of PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale.

armature+tweet.PNG

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I forget what that engine was like

Both versions of All-Stars came free with my PS3

All-Stars was "eh"

And then I tried the portable one and it was "eh" but portable

• Options
    Metroid Prime trilogy director: 'Everything we do sucks'
    The Metroid Prime trilogy was praised by critics, but from the vantage point of director Mark Pacini, the games "sucked."

Speaking to Game Informer, the industry veteran--who left Retro Studios in 2008 after eight years with the company to open Armature Studios--offered a raw critique of Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.

"I think everything we do sucks," Pacini said. "But that’s just me because I thought all the Prime games suck. At the end of the day all I see are all the bad things. Prime 2 was a blur to me. It was so quick, it was so fast. That thing just went out the door and it was a very divisive game. People either liked it or thought it sucked, and I can completely agree because I couldn't tell you what that game was because it happened so quickly. Prime 1 was the best designed game. Prime 3 I feel is the most fun one to play. Prime 2 is divisive. You either like it or you don't. That’s kind of the way I look at it."

Now with Armature Studios, Pacini and his team are working with Warner Bros. on Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate, a Super Metroid-style game for 3DS and PlayStation Vita. He said his mindset is the same with this game; though he wants fans to enjoy it, all he can see now is the "crap" that's wrong with it.

"It is the same thing here with the Arkham game. All I see at this point, because we are knee deep, we're in the woods right now in development, and all I see is all the crap that's wrong with it," Pacini said. "In my gut I feel like, yeah, it’s going to be cool. I’m excited for it. But at the same time, I hope we don’t disappoint people and I hope that they like it. We’re trying our hardest. I would like to play a game like this, so hopefully everyone else will, too."

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate will launch October 25 alongside the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC game developed by WB Games Montreal.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    If Metroid Prime 1 was crap, I hope Blackgate is just the shittiest game in existence

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I think it's a good sign.
    I'm more encouraged by that than someone saying 'our games were perfect, and if anyone had a problem with some of the designs or controls or whatever, that's just their fault for not recognising genius'

I'm still a little worried about this game, though. Rocksteady dropped enough hints for a sequel in City, were they not actually planning to make one?
    Considering their track record, I find it hard to believe that someone would have said "forget that third Arkham game guys, we want you to make something else"

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    I forget what that engine was like

Both versions of All-Stars came free with my PS3

All-Stars was "eh"

And then I tried the portable one and it was "eh" but portable

Yup, I'll be selling my copy of all-stars soon. I thought that I would still enjoy it since, y'know, Ratchet is in it...but nope, the game is a steaming pile with a terrible scoring system. Oh well, at least I bought it on the cheap.

I am super excited for portable Batman though....I mean I never thought I would get a Batroidvania, and look where we are now.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
This discussion has been closed.