As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Batman] - Arkham Knight - Delayed to 2015

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Just beat City. It was great but I have to say overall I prefer Asylum. City had lots of lovely updates and more polish but Asylum just felt tighter. 400+ trophies is too much. I'll probably go back through a NG+ at some point just to have all my upgrades for the early Predator rooms. I'm thinking I'm going to try something different next- Bioshock or Valkyria Chronicles maybe, need to take a breather from 3D Action/Adventure having done GoW3, DmC, Darksiders, Remember Me, Asylum, and City more or less right in a row.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    The combat in AC is the shit. Better in every way. They fixed all the problems I had with AA.

The plot is kinda up to you. I liked it a lot but AA was definitely easier to "sing along" with if you get my meaning.

Also if you want something more cerebral in your gameplay I would not play Bioshock Infinite.

Whole game is doom with superpowers interspersed with plot. Even I started to get sick of it and I'm practically built for that kind of thing.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I thought Bioshock was really good.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I didn't say it was bad. It's just that the actual fights are fairly repetitive. I, personally, got sick of them because they weren't complicated enough for me.

Remember my recommendation was given in response to his stated desires. I'm not giving a general opinion of the state of the game.

It's got lots of good things about it and if you aren't bored by the combat I'm sure it is fantastic. I do plan to go back to it to finish the plot at some point. Still installed on my steam drive and everything.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Could someone help me out? I'm missing three pieces of Gotham Intel for Arkham Origins; the first and last Pinkney letters, and the next to last Anarky tag. I hate to just cheat and look them up. If someone could just tell me which sections of Gotham to look in for these last ones, I'd sure appreciate it.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    New release date: June 2nd

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    New release date: June 2nd

God Damn(Batman)it

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Note that the image uses the Month/Day/Year date standard.

Renzo on
  • Options
    I do think the limited edition looks nice.

BAK_Limited_Edition.jpg

Though the Batmobile edition looks REALLY nice. Not sure if I want to spend the extra for it though...

batman.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I think the statue is for North America, while the Batmobile is for Europe?

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Renzo wrote: »
    I think the statue is for North America, while the Batmobile is for Europe?

Joystiq said they'd both be available
    The launch date announcement comes with descriptions of two special editions, the Limited Edition and the Batmobile Edition. Both will be available in limited quantities in North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand. The Limited Edition comes with an art book, SteelBook case and game disc, the Arkham Knight #0 comic, an exclusive skin pack with three The New 52 skins, and a Batman memorial statue. It's $100 (€120, £90) for PS4 and Xbox One. It's available for PC in Europe, Australia and New Zealand only, for €100 or £75.

The Batmobile Edition is for consoles and comes with everything in the Limited Edition, except that memorial statue. Instead, this deal comes with a transforming Batmobile statue (now the name makes sense). The Batmobile Edition runs $200 (€200, £170).

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    On one hand, I don't wanna wait that long. On the other hand, There's going to be something super awesome to play during the summer drought next year.

Now I need to decide how badly I want that statue...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Didn't Blizzard already announce that the next WOW expansion would be in June ?

Kidding, kidding...

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Speculation
    The launch date announcement comes with descriptions of two special editions, the Limited Edition and the Batmobile Edition. Both will be available in limited quantities in North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand. The Limited Edition comes with an art book, SteelBook case and game disc, the Arkham Knight #0 comic, an exclusive skin pack with three The New 52 skins, and a Batman memorial statue. It's $100 (€120, £90) for PS4 and Xbox One. It's available for PC in Europe, Australia and New Zealand only, for €100 or £75.

The Batmobile Edition is for consoles and comes with everything in the Limited Edition, except that memorial statue. Instead, this deal comes with a transforming Batmobile statue (now the name makes sense). The Batmobile Edition runs $200 (€200, £170).

Is that implying what I think it's implying? They pull a Dark Knight Rises and kill of Batman?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Well the Batmobile statue looks neat! Can't find any larger pictures of the Batman statue though...

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Man I recently finished Origins on the PC... The game was awesome. I actually enjoyed it more than City, personally.

• Options
    Story-wise, I enjoyed Origins more. Though content-wise, City still beats it IMO.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Origins is an excellent Batman story.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I was surprised by how much I liked Origins relative to how much vitrol (even if deserved) it gets. It's an excellent prequel.
    It's a great Joker origin story and ties the three games together well.

Arteen on
  • Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    Started playing Origins because there was a sweet sale, and I hit 2 bugs in the first 5 minutes of gameplay, one of which made me restart the game.

This doesn't bode well.

Turns out I was completely wrong

I started really getting into Origins recently, and it's great. I'm enjoying it a lot more than Asylum and City even. The story is so much better, and the dialogue much less cringe worthy than the previous games.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Origins had a really good and interesting story concerning Batman and the Joker, but the assassin related stuff was pretty consistently terrible. People complain about Origins but their Bane was a 1000 times better than anything Rocksteady did with him. For all Rocksteady's gameplay brilliance, they've been awful with a lot of character design and characterisation, while Montreal made a proper, formidable Bane, and a fun, psycho Joker who is out doing insane things over sitting in throne rooms.

They messed up Quinn though, since her backstory is established in Asylum or City, that's not how Joker and Quinn met.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Origins had a really good and interesting story concerning Batman and the Joker, but the assassin related stuff was pretty consistently terrible. People complain about Origins but their Bane was a 1000 times better than anything Rocksteady did with him. For all Rocksteady's gameplay brilliance, they've been awful with a lot of character design and characterisation, while Montreal made a proper, formidable Bane, and a fun, psycho Joker who is out doing insane things over sitting in throne rooms.

They messed up Quinn though, since her backstory is established in Asylum or City, that's not how Joker and Quinn met.

My biggest complaint was how under used Deathstroke was in the game. Guy would have made a great reoccuring boss.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Wait, we hear how Joker and Quinn met in Asylum, and see it in Origins. I really liked how Origins spun it, actually.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular

My biggest complaint was how under used Deathstroke was in the game. Guy would have made a great reoccuring boss.

I suppose, but at least the fight with him is awesome.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I dug the Electrocutioner fight. Up there with the Harley Quinn fight in terms of boss intensity.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Remember how Arkham Asylum had a secret room that had a map and plans for Arkham City, and nobody found it until the developers said it was there?

And how they have maintained that there are several undiscovered secrets in Arkham City hinting towards the future?

This week they posted a clip that lead to somebody discovering one of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=temF1OFCIPg

It's crazy that after three years of people digging through the game--having been outright told there were secrets in there--that apparently nobody had found this audio file. I wonder what the other secrets will turn out to be?

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Given how detailed Gotham proper was in AC (there's that Cracked article and a youtube video showing everything including cars moving in the streets and everything) and how you could juuuuuuust reach Arkham island (but not land), I'm sure there's more stuff buried somewhere.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    You'd think people would have hacked the game code to bits by now. Didn't the fan community make a proper ending for KOTOR2?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Well, the AC egg in AA was so well hidden that it took the devs essentially saying "Do this..." before it was found.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    It is possible that they slipped that in when they went and did the conversion from GFWL to Steam, since they gave us fresh game entries instead of modifying the old ones. The fact that they were so vague after everyone found the ship, everyone just lost interest and didn't care.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    One thing I hope gets copied from Mordor is the ability to cancel a ground takedown midway for a counter.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    übergeek wrote: »
    It is possible that they slipped that in when they went and did the conversion from GFWL to Steam, since they gave us fresh game entries instead of modifying the old ones. The fact that they were so vague after everyone found the ship, everyone just lost interest and didn't care.

What ship?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

I'm actually pretty tempted to boot up my 360 copy and see if it's on the console versions as well

I imagine it would be

It doesn't take long to get to Calendar Man...

I will report back!

• Options

What ship?

There's a ship/boat by Sidonus that has an unlisted password you can hack. The code "cityofterror" gets you access to it where you can go inside and....

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    One thing I hope gets copied from Mordor is the ability to cancel a ground takedown midway for a counter.

I'd be content with the ability to cancel regular attacks for a counter. Shit's put me off the combat challenges in Arkham Origins for crying out loud. Nothing worse than having a good rhythm going, throwing a punch after waiting for a split second to make sure enemies aren't attacking only for an enemy starting to attack AFTER Batman started his attack animation and hitting faster than Batman completing his attack.

Maybe the developers love unavoidable attacks/unwinnable scenarios? I know I don't.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    This is literally impossible in the 360 version. The farthest year you can set the clock back to is 2005, when the system launched.

I think I have a digital copy on PS3 as well, I'll try that one.

• Options
    edited November 2014

Knowing the logic of why they do it I doubt that gets changed. I wouldn't get your hopes up.
    They could allow you to instant cancel the recovery of all your moves if they wanted. They haven't done it in three games, they've only worked on reducing the recovery. The fact that they did work on reducing the recovery shows that they did think of this issue. They also modified enemy attack patterns starting from the second game to make it more predictable.
    Positioning and spatial awareness of the battlefield are important batman skills. I don't get punched in the middle of my attacks. I can say this with confidence.
    I don't put myself in the position where this can occur. It was a lot harder to do this in batman aa, but very easy in ac and origins. You had much better tools for doing it.

It's also why you can counter during a pummel. Each pummel strike is extremely quick with nigh instant recovery. It locks you down for so long they had to do this. There's no animation cancelling occuring there, he finishes the individual strike before the counter triggers.

They also allowed certain moves to cut off incoming attacks. For example if you triple cape an enemy you are supposed to use this move on, like a titan, an incoming enemy thug attack will cut off even if its inches from your head. You wont get hit.
    Try to do it to a normal thug you get whocked. Not using it properly.
    Same thing happens with the leaping slam onto shield guys. Using it on them and you wont get hit, attacks cut off. Use it on anyone else and you will.

For the ground pound batman in both Ac and Origins had several tools that would allow you to lay out the last members of a group very easily for uninterrupted takedowns. The way it multiplied your points (and thus your in game experience) meant you wanted to plan out your fight so that you could ground the last few guys at the end of an uninterrupted combo. It got you tons of exp, it got you tons of points in challenge rooms. It wasn't a mid fight thing. The aoe bat attack was much better at getting both points and exp in the middle of a fight.
    So if you tried to use it in the middle when lots of thugs are around, you got hit upside the head for doing it wrong. Just like all these other moves that punished improper use.

Think of it as tekken style animations, or dark souls style. You don't get to cancel anything. You have to commit. So you have to think about whether or not you should commit. You need a plan.

I'd like it if he could cancel, don't get me wrong. I'm all for cancelling in action games.
    I just doubt they'll fundamentally change their combat system in that way. They seem to like their non traditional style and I have to admit, it does have a certain flavour to it that you don't get in a fully cancellable system. You know that you didn't just reaction your way through this fight, you planned your way through it.
    Thinking one step ahead the entire time.
    That's Batman.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    New trailer up.
    Ace Chemicals, the "in death he has nothing left to fear" line at the beginning, and the brief laugh when AK arrives, are making me think we are seeing the return of The Joker. Though it still could be their version of RedHood Jason Todd I guess.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Looks good, but man, those new takedowns are brutal!

Even in Arkham Asylum Batman was beating up goons in ways that could very well kill someone and he only seems to be getting rougher.

Also seems a bit weird that Batman is straight up fighting an army, even if it won't be that different from the loads of guys with guns in the previous games.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Hot damn that looks good.

Arkham Knight sounded an awful lot like Troy Baker... Gonna turn out to be Joker :P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
This discussion has been closed.