As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[4e] "Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale..."[IC]

nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
edited April 2013 in Critical Failures
Before we begin allow me to welcome everyone to our in-character thread. Please keep all out of character discussion in the appropriate place. Please try to post a minimum of once a day. If real life gets in the way I of-course understand but I will try to move the story forward at least once a day so if something prevented you from making a post let me know and we’ll edit something in.
As this is my first time DMing a play-by-post I’ve been spending some time looking at how other DMs do things so if I find something doesn’t work in practice as well as I’d like I may make small alterations to the order of things. For now here’s how things will be labeled:

I'll post the relevant stats of enemies during combat and they will be labeled as follows

Red for minions
Blue for standard enemies
Yellow for elites
Purple for solos

When it comes to player characters, you will be marked in Green while NPCs will be depicted in Dark Grey.

Also we'll be using a system I've come to like, simply because it keeps things clear and transparent, when it comes to dice rolls and actions: Declare what you will be doing and what kind of action that requires in ORANGE text; attack rolls in RED text, within spoilers as well, and outside of spoilers write in GREEN text who is on next. I'd like to give credit to TiamatZ and Talonrazor and Gatpy for giving me this idea. In case no one has this thread bookmarked, which I recommend doing so, please also "@" them just to be sure.

The Cast

@Godmode is Luther Lightfoot - A daring Rogue with a quick and manipulative tongue. Luthor had a job go bad not to long ago. He fears the day when his former employers finally track him down. They are not the "forgive and forget" type.

@Grog is Boson "Cannonball" Saul- A warforged with an aptitude for wearing out his welcome. He seems to be just your average mechanical Sailing man trying to make ends meet but what's this about a Mad Sorcerer? A friend? An enemy? Or maybe just a myth that keeps following him around.

@OminousLozenge is Berrian of the Eladrin- A former Wizards apprentice who was more interested in Woman and drink then his studies. When he crossed too many lines to talk his way out of trouble he ran away and found a new home in the Sea.

@Tox is Al-Ilikan Q'Mafdet- Formally a member of a Goliath tribe ruled by Giants. Al was forced to flee the desert when he found the Giants who he saw as Gods were not but cruel monsters. Al hopes to encounter more of his kind out at sea and dreams of freeing his people from the Giants oppressive reign.

@Straightzi is Jordain Straccio- Beginning life as an unimpressive human specimen Jordain's life changed forever when he was struck by lightning and then rose from bed the next day not much worse for wear. Be it a blessing or a curse Jordain now wields the powers of a God but what of the voices who say such terrible things as they linger in the back of his head?

The Ship- What it began its life as is unknown but when the Captain got her hands on it, it was named the "Dawnchaser". Under the Captains command it changed names many times. "The Stormrunner", "Solm Regar", and for the time it took her to sober up after an eventful night at port "Jordan". Right now it bears the name "Peregrine" but talk among the crew says it wont last.

It is a common trait of sailors to treat their ship as if it were alive but the crew of the Peregrine goes beyond that. Sailors who have served on the ship for more then a few months insist that there is something special about her. She has a mood that ebbs and flows sure as the tides and when you're alone they insist in the darkness and quiet she will speak to you. The ships design itself is ancient. Long and thin. Sturdy but ornate. A flowing pattern covers the ship from bow to stern. The funny thing is that much of the ship has had to be replaced over the years and yet the pattern is complete.

Its (Former)Captain, The Human Sara Ryes- Despite being a drunkard and a braggart Ryes has put together a capable and loyal crew with her tenacious demeanor and unfailing ability to scrap together a job. When she isn't drinking she is planning. The rumor among the crew is that her family has a debt above its head. Recently Ryes has grown even more driven and even a bit reckless. Her brother Erin works as navigator on another ship and they keep close in contact though they don't seem capable of getting along in person for long

Quire.jpg
nightmarenny on

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Episode One: The Island of Wyrms

22-abandoned-island.jpg
    The sky is clear and full of stars as you pull yourselves out of the freezing water and onto the shore. The bright white moon hovers over you, as if trying to get a closer look at the plight you find yourself in. You can tell from the moons position that morning is no more then an hour or two away and your bodies ache as you feel more a trembling weariness The beach you've reached is small and empty. To your left a large rock shelf cuts into the sea. A lush jungle has grown right up to the beachfront and a sliver of beach travels as far right as you can see.

Looking back at the ocean behind you the top of the Peregrin pokes out just beyond the rock shelf trapped on it. No more then an hour ago most of you had been roused from your beds to face an unexpected storm. The night had seemed clear and the waters easy when you went to sleep but you were greeted by a terribly ferocious wind. The Ship was tossed to and fro as the crew did its best to keep it a float. Sadly the crew could only do so much and soon they spotted an island. The course shouldn't have been anywhere near an island besides your destination but there was no time for questions. It was head for the island or be swallowed by the ocean. The crew was hurled violently into the the sea and the ship crashed against the rocks of the shore. The survivors made their way to the beach.

However hard you fight it exhaustion soon overtakes you.

Not long later blinding sunlight overrides your body's protest and you begin to wake. A quick glance shows that most of the crew isn't here with you. Only four of you are alive on the beach though the lifeless bodies of former crewmembers are now strewn about. The Captain, who you are sure made it to shore is nowhere to be found.

OOC
    Grog, Boson was knocked off the ship early in the storm and forced to walk the bottom of the ocean. He reaches the beach around when everybody begins to wake. Lets say everybody wakes in the order they post. Hope nobody found that to railroad-y a beginning. Go ahead and introduce yourselves do some RP. Nothing's coming for or jumping out at you(yet) so the action starts when you decide to explore.

Remember that my job is to make sure you all have fun so if I screw that up let me know. If I make a mistake I want to hear about it.

@Tox, @ Straightzi, @Grog, @ominouslozenge, @Godmode

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Wet. Sandy. A lifetime at sea cannot prepare the body for this discomfort. Luther groaned and gingerly pushed himself to a sitting position and blinked salt and (of course!) sand away. He took a mental inventory: Nothing feels broken. Muscles sore. Wits present. Peregrine gone. Gear... He pats himself down and rummages through his pack. ...Intact. With that, he stands with a sigh and looks around. "Now let's see if any of these poor bastards are alive," Luther remarks, not even realizing he'd spoken aloud. With that, he shuffles about the beach, gently nudging bodies for a response, and closing the eyes of those who are clearly no longer awake.

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    "That is the last time I'm being used as 'emergency anchor'."

Saul splashes out of the surf, untying a heavy chain from around his waist and letting it slip under the waves. Wringing out his bandana with thick iron fingers, he gives the scattered survivors an appraising look.

"Wakey wakey lads, first one up gets to share breakfast with Mr. Lightfoot here!" With that he pulls a live fish from his shirt and tosses it toward Luther.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Al emerges from the wreckage, carrying what can be assumed to be a dead body over his shoulders. He lays it next to the others, forming them in a line, low on the shore so that tide can take them out to sea once they've been accounted.

He nods to Boson, "It is good to see the currents did not carry you away."

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Jordain twitches in his sleep, unconsciously scratching at some unseen irritant. He tosses and turns, his lips silently mouthing out words from no earthly language. He wakes with a start, breathing heavily with a look of terror upon his face.

"Where am I? There was a- nevermind. The storm. I remember now."

He gets up, beginning to dust himself off, and then realizes that he should be wringing himself out instead. He removes his mantle and begins to twist and squeeze the water out of it.

• Options
    OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    Berrian awakes with a groan, as usual far from the first one up. He opens his mouth to speak, but ends up spitting wet sand out instead.

"Yuck!"

Oh, this won't do. Clothes a tattered ruin, hair doubtlessly mangled - might as well chop it all off! Berrian shakily rises and staggers back into the surf to wash off the sand and at least try to make himself look somewhat presentable before he goes to rejoin the rest of the survivors. The impromptu bath helps a little, for the moment.

"So... where is- oh, we're it?" He looks around, shoulders slumped. Only five left? That's a lot of dead crewmates. Dead friends, too, some of them.

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • Options
    The sand never bothered Al. No surprise really, growing up in a desert does that to a person.

The water had taken more adjustment. Salt water especially. What ponds, lakes, and rivers there were in his homeland were all fresh water. One of the few things that made the lands habitable.

He nods to Berrian.

"It would appear that we are the crew, now. I have not seen a wreck this bad ever before."

He gestures toward the ship before continuing.

"She is very badly damaged, and we are likely stranded here until help arrives. Unless we can find supplies to repair her with somewhere on the island."

Dun dun DUUUUUN!

• Options
    edited April 2013
    "Good to see you've respect for the dead, Mr Q'Mafdet." Saul nods back at the goliath, then nods further in agreement. He shields his lenses from a sun that hasn't risen yet, peering down the length of the beach.

"Aye, we're not likely to find anything of use on the shore. Best to head inland, see what the locals have in store."
    Perception: 1d20+0 10

Grog on
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The beach runs a few hundred feet and then curves out of sight. A smoke trail rises from the other side. Otherwise the length of the beach appears empty save the lost crewmen and wreckage that has accumulated at the bottom. Turning your attention inland a small mountain rises above the trees in the distance. A few more of the clouds rise in front of you from deep in the jungle.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Luther straightens as he sees the others start to move about. He smirks as he watches Saul stride out of the water and avoids his tossed fish with a grin. He immediately realizes his expression must look ghoulish given the situation, and quickly shuts his mouth. He plods through the sand towards the others. "We're going to need supplies. Looks like we might be here a while. We should look around and see what's washed ashore that we can use."
    Perception check looking for useful supplies on the beach: 1d20 11

• Options
    "Yes, let's salvage what we can before we move on. That plume of smoke is curious, though. It might be other survivors. Hmm, what say we scavenge the beach while we head in that direction to see what we can find out?"

• Options
    edited April 2013
    godmode wrote: »
    Luther straightens as he sees the others start to move about. He smirks as he watches Saul stride out of the water and avoids his tossed fish with a grin. He immediately realizes his expression must look ghoulish given the situation, and quickly shuts his mouth. He plods through the sand towards the others. "We're going to need supplies. Looks like we might be here a while. We should look around and see what's washed ashore that we can use."

Glancing around you see that among the tattered wreckage a few intact barrels remain. Prying the first open you find bread and dried meats. Enough food for more than a week. In the second Barrel... Oranges! Looks like food isn't a pressing concern just yet.

A single set of footprints lead from the area you passed out at into the forest. Your walk along the beach yields less results. Closer to the plume of smoke you start to see footprints traveling from the jungle out into the water and back as well as in the direction you are travelling. The footprints are strange. Small and stumpy. They can be identified with a DC 10 nature check.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Satisfied with the uncovered provisions, Luther walks over to the footprints to take a look. He leans closer to examine them and try to picture their source. He determines that they are indeed footprints.
    Nature check to determine source of footprints: 1d20 3

• Options
    edited April 2013

Al approaches Luther, noticing the tracks he has found. Kneeling down to study them, he looks up to the others.

"I believe these tracks belong to kobolds," he says, pointing in the direction they head.

"Perhaps they are responsible for the fire," he further offers, motioning toward the plume of smoke.

Tox on
  • Options
    bump, post edited

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    "Well, I suppose if nobody here believes we can repair the Peregrine with what we have, then we ought to be hunting after them. Unless someone else has a bright and clever sort of idea."

Jordain puts his mantle back on and wanders over to the barrels of provisions, pulling out an orange and roughly peeling it with his fingernails.

• Options
    The crews only response to Jordain is silence.

Crossing the bend you see another shipwreck in the rocky shallows. Kobolds, just close enough to be identified, skitter and sprint across the ships broken form gibbering excitedly. A few more can be seen in the distance carrying or pushing barrels, wooden boxes and all manor of odd junk in the direction of the smoke. They seem to have been at this for some time. The surrounding beach is mostly clear of debris and either the ship lost a lot fewer crew then the Peregrine or the bodies have been carted away.

Three Kobolds stand apart from the rest, just enough to get a full view of the work. You can't tell much from this distance but one seems to be wearing a cloak or other heavy clothes in comparison to the other's spartan dress.

Farther in the distance you can see the originator of the Plume of smoke is a small village or camp with a single fire in the middle. A number of blurry forms move amongst its tents.

None of the Kobolds seem to have spotted you.

OCC
    Sneaking away is a simple matter but if you want to get closer to them without being seen either one person will need to make a Stealth Check of 15 or I'll need a group stealth check of 10. The Kobolds arn't doing anything that necessarily implies hostility but they have set up and those guards are ready for a fight.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    "Perhaps before we raise any alarm we should see what they're up to. Shall I sneak closer and get a look?"

• Options
    "Kobolds're tricky. Some will run, some'll stand and fight. See if you can get an idea of which is which Mr. Lightfoot."

• Options
    "That sounds good. We'll keep watch from here."

• Options
    With a nod to his companions, Luther drops to the sand and shimmies in the direction of the kobolds, doing his best to keep low and flat to the sand until he's close enough to hear what they're discussing.
    Stealth check to get closer to the conversing kobolds: 1d20+9 27

• Options
    Al nods his agreement to the others, but braces his Glaive, just in case things should not go as hoped.
    Equipping my weapon, and activating Defender's Aura.

• Options
    "Filthy savages. We have the benefit of surprise, I don't see why we don't just eliminate them now. Clearly they're up to no good."

Jordain mutters, leaning heavily on his staff, pushing it into the soft sand.

• Options
    "Let's not be hasty. They might be a peaceful aberration of their kind, in which case we can probably talk them into doing things for us so as to expedite getting off this gods-forsaken rock," Berrian contributes while scanning the area for potential threats while Luther skulks about.
    Perception: 1d20+5 10

• Options
    "Look at it this way" Saul rubs his rust-stubble idly as they hunker down in the sand. "If we charge at them and they're peaceful, they'll just scarper. If they fight back, then they're savages. Simple, see?"

• Options
    Berrian chuckles and shakes his head. "Bit reductionistic, don't you think? If some stranger comes at me, he's catching a face full of pain; but I'm far from savage. I just don't take kindly to being threatened. It's possible they're like that. But I'll tell you what. If we're still uncertain after Luther gets back, I'll approach them openly and attempt a parley while you lot circle around to ambush them from the flank if they prove hostile."

• Options
    edited April 2013
    With a nod to his companions, Luther drops to the sand and shimmies in the direction of the kobolds, doing his best to keep low and flat to the sand until he's close enough to hear what they're discussing.
    Stealth check to get closer to the conversing kobolds: 1d20+9 27

Staying low to the ground and moving fast Luther dives behind a rock getting right up next to the Kobold guards. peering just over the rock you something becomes apparent about the Kobold's. Each is covered in face-paint. Most have just five small dots. Red, Blue, Green, Black, and white. A few others have stripes of the colors and the oddly dressed Kobold, clearly dressed in a long headdress of leather and feathers, wears only red face-paint but is almost totally covered in it. The two other guards quietly jeer at each other in common.

"Eck lazy near-hatchlings taking forever. Should have been done days ago"

"Complaining all the time. Heh go help them, eh?" the Kobold picks at absent-mindedly at its nose and snorts.

"You mock, Malack, but when the false Goddess takes advantage of our slowness and comes for our heads you will be running with the rest, eh? Yes, yes" chides the first Kobold

"The False Goddess" says the second standing up and poking a finger at the firsts chest. "is a pale, weak, abomination and I would gladly take the opportunity to slay her if she ever left the mountain"

The Headdressed one speaks in a quiet authoritative voice that demands attention. It speaks draconic. A combination of guttural sounds and snake hisses. One quick word and they the other two are silent. The Headdressed begins to closer to the workers flanked by the other two.

OCC
    Had to leave for work and didn't have time to read over this post. Sorry if there are any spelling errors. I'll fix any when I get a break.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Realizing he's heard all the useful information he's going to get, Luther turns to make his way back to the group, hoping the Kobolds don't turn around at an inopportune moment and spot him.
    Stealth check to return: 1d20+9 16

• Options
    "Well, Mr. Berrian, I reckon those 'bolds would reductionise you if you were to attempt to parley with them." Saul grunts and, seeing Luther returning, readies a flintlock.

"But if you're willing to be a distraction then I'm all for it."

• Options
    "Yes, well, let's see what Luther has to say." Berrian hums under his breath while he watches Luther skulk back to the group.
    Proactive Religion check in case it's relevant for what Luther has to report... not that it was such a hot roll.
    Religion: 1d20+7 10

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Luther quietly returns to the rest of the party.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Luther

Tox on
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Once he's back to the group, Luther stands and makes a futile attempt at brushing the sand from his clothes, giving up a moment later with a sigh. He addresses the others, "Apparently that wreck down the way is from days ago. That chap in red with the feathers must be their leader, and those fellas with him sound like his assistants. They said something about doing this for a 'false goddess' up on the mountain," Luther finishes with a shrug. "Apparently this lot isn't at the top of the chain."

godmode on
  • Options
    "False goddess? Kobold religious types, eh... alright, we can probably throw tolerance and co-operation out the window. Saul, next pint's on me. Oh, right. Well... I'll drink it for you." Berrian sighs and shakes his head reproachfully in the general direction of the kobolds.

"So much for getting us some lackeys, boys."

• Options
    edited April 2013
    "Right, let's see if we can get the drop on them lads."
    Stealth: 1d20+3 14

This is how group stealth works, right?

Grog on
  • Options
    Luther furrows his brow as an idea strikes him, "Before we resort to that...why don't we see if they're looking for new employment? Perhaps usurping this 'false goddess' will net us a veritable hive of little worker bees to repair our own ship? Obviously they've got a stock of supplies. We might be able to turn this to our advantage!"

• Options
    "Alright, how's this for a plan: Me and Mr Berrian walk over there and offer them a job. The rest of you flank'em in case things go sour. Alright?"

• Options
    Al seems uneasy, "I am still uncertain that they would mean us ill."

After a brief pause, he readies himself to join the others in a surprise attack.
    Stealth group check: 1d20+2 11
    How many kobolds were there?

• Options
    "Wait, you two want to actually do work in exchange for earning their labor? Huh, well that is a novel concept. So we go propose to deal with this false goddess, and in exchange they fix our ship... alright, I could go for that. Saul, don't let them kill me."

• Options
    "Not to worry Mr. Berrian, stick with me and you'll be safe as houses."

Saul waits for the others to move into position before walking toward the kobolds' apparent leader. "HO THERE!" he shouts, waving his arms over his head with a squeak of gears.

"JUST WANT TO TALK! NOT ENEMY!"
    Diplomacy: 1d20+6 15