As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Attack On Titan]: Season 2 Now Airing

Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
edited April 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
QZUAQF4.jpg
We're gonna need a bigger...um, everything.

So What's This One About? Giants?

Hey, good guess!

Only these aren't the fluffy soul-eyed giants you feel sorry for killing like in Shadow of the Colossus. These so-called Titans are, in a word, terrifying as fuck.

Okay, that's three words. Here are a few more to describe the plot:

Many years ago, the last remnants of humanity were forced to retreat behind the towering walls of a fortified city to escape the massive, man-eating Titans that roamed the land outside their fortress. Only the heroic members of the Scouting Legion dared to stray beyond the safety of the walls – but even those brave warriors seldom returned alive. Those within the city clung to the illusion of a peaceful existence until the day that dream was shattered, and their slim chance at survival was reduced to one horrifying choice: kill – or be devoured!

The series is based on the current-running Manga of the same name, with a high tier list of talent behind the Anime adaption, including Death Note director Tetsuro Araki and animation by Production I.G. (who are also behind Gargantia, which is running concurrently). A live film adaption is also planned as well as special Manga chapters commemorating the Blu Ray/DVD releases.

But don't just take my word for it. Check out the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=c37Jq9zWd-I

The production values are really high with this one, and the tone is very reminiscent of Berserk, including the design variety on the Titans, both in their size as well as their (often grotesque) appearances. It doesn't skimp on the tragic deaths either, with many characters going out in brutal fashions. Urobuchi would be proud (he's not involved in this one).

Where Can I Watch This?

You have two options, Funimation and Crunchyroll.

Funimation's episodes are for members only. Crunchyroll will also employ a membership policy, but will make every episode free for everyone one week after they premiere.

There are too many characters! I can't keep up!

No worries, our own @Daypigeon created a handy guide listing most of the principal cast so far.
A short guide to the supporting cast, contains very mild spoilers up to episodes four and five concerning characters' goals and personalities. I'm not going to update this each episode or anything, because that'd get hectic real fast, but I might post a new one at the beginning of each arc or so to update with who's dead and new characters. Hope this helps some of you!

The 104th Cadet Corps, listed in the vague order of how much we've seen of them/how much I could write about each:
fourgf.png
Annie Leonhardt: An irritable and antisocial young woman who tends to avoid the other cadets, and training exercises. Annie can fight hand-to-hand much better than any of her classmates, and uses a fighting style very different from the moves taught by military training. Cynical as all getout.

twomd.png
Reiner Braun: One of the most talented trainees, ranked second only to Mikasa. His ‘only desire’ is to be able to one day return to his hometown, which was wrecked by titans. Although he initially appears unfriendly, Reiner offers Eren encouragement and advice when it looks like he’ll flunk out, and carries Armin’s pack during a training exercise when it looks like he can’t keep up.

nineg.png
Sasha Braus: An emaciated cadet from a hunting village south of wall Rose. Sasha has a bit of an issue with authority, at least when it gets between her and food. She’s pretty oblivious, but a natural with the 3-d gear (see: kill-stealing during training exercises, saving another cadet during the reappearance of the colossal titan) Sasha originally hoped to join the military police, but changed her mind following Eren’s speech on the night of graduation.

sixp.png
John Kirstein: An arrogant, self-centered young man from Trost District. Jean signed up for the corps with the sole purpose of joining the military police-- which would allow him to live in the relative comfort and safety of the innermost walls. He tends to antagonize Eren with his ‘me-first’ worldview, sometimes on purpose. This may be partially due to his crush on Mikasa. Well, at least he’s honest.

threes.png
Bertholt Fubar: A tall young man from a village beyond Wall Maria. His home was destroyed by titans following the fall of Shinganshina. Generally friendly and helpful, he is one of the top-ranked students, although an instructor noted he “lacks aggressiveness.” Usually seen with Reiner.

eightd.png
Connie Springer: A self-proclaimed genius from a rural village south of Wall Rose, few others seem to share his high opinion of himself. Connie originally planned to join the military police, but was swayed to join the Scouting Regiment by Eren’s speech at graduation—even if he refuses to admit it.

whoopsf.png
Thomas Wagner: a young cadet from Trost District. Thomas didn’t believe humans could ever really win against the titans, but was inspired to join the Scouting Regiment by Eren’s speech after graduation. Part of the same squad as Eren and Armin during the battle for Trost. Unlike most of the other trainees who've had any screentime, Thomas was not one of the highest-scoring students.

sevenf.png
Marco Bott: An earnest cadet who hopes to join the military police not for his own benefit, but so he may serve the king. Marco is good-natured and sensitive to others’ feelings, as seen when he tells his excited classmates to stop pestering Eren for descriptions of Titans.

chivalryisdead.png
Ymir: A cadet who has no problem exploiting others or saying some pretty nasty things. Ymir tends to hang out with Christa. Surprisingly flippant about death and people getting eaten alive. Also not one of the highest-ranked cadets.

tenr.png
Christa Renz: A really, really short girl who goes out of her way to help others. (Bringing Sasha food, looking after guys throwing up at the thought of imminent combat, etc.)

The Garrison Regiment:
[fashionistal.png
General Pixis: Head of the Garrison Regiment’s southern forces. Wears a bolo tie!

deadbeat.png
Hannes: An (initially) laid-back member of the Garrison Regiment prone to drinking on duty, and a family friend of the Jaegers. Hannes felt he owed Dr. Jaeger a debt, and took it on himself to save Eren and Mikasa during the fall of Shiganshina - but chickened out of fighting the titan that ate Eren’s mother. He seems to have cleaned up his act in the years since, and is now a captain in the Engineering Corps.

I hear this series has already sparked a bunch of memes.

Buddy, you don't know the half of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDHCLjuOzXY&feature=youtu.be

RULES OF THE THREAD. READ BEFORE POSTING.

In order to make sure we can discuss this series without fear of a lock down, it is absolutely imperative that you adhere to the thread rules.

1. Absolutely No NSFW Links: This includes, primarily, images that feature fictional characters in a state of undress, regardless of gender or age. It doesn't matter if it's a tasteful swimsuit or an intentional parody. DO NOT LINK IT.

2. Mark ALL Spoilers, AND LABEL THEM: Because we are discussing both the Anime and Manga (the latter which is significantly further ahead in the storyline), it is very important that you indicate WHAT YOU ARE SPOILING in the spoiler tag, whether it's the latest episode or a funny/cool image. You must also spoiler the appearance of a certain character from episode 7. Even taken out of context, the image can still be a major spoiler for newbies.

3. No discussing other Animes: If you feel that drawing parallels with another series brings context into the conversation, do so but keep it brief. Do not let a discussion about an unrelated series exceed your post.

FAILURE TO ADHERE TO THESE RULES MAY GET THE THREAD LOCKED. THE MOST DANGEROUS TITAN IS IROND WILL, FOR HE HATH NO WEAK POINT.

Professor Snugglesworth on

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I watched the first episode, I liked what I saw, although it got maybe a little over brutal about things? The "action drama" stress is a bit too much for me, but they are heavily leaning on the manga style. I liked it when it was just the art style(bold outlining on characters, etc), but when it works into the animation and direction it gets weird.

edit: is that potato girl thing a spoiler? It seems like a spoiler.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Snuggs, all your threads are for the most depressing series. Not sure if I'll give this one a watch.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Snuggs, all your threads are for the most depressing series. Not sure if I'll give this one a watch.

This one will be intensely depressing.

It's kinda the point.

Also, folks, watch out for spoilers if you want to come to this fresh. The last couple chapters have some SERIOUS crazy plot implications, so stuff is flying around.

And as a final note, don't be surprised if this ends up going the way of FMA - it's a similar situation. Monthly series, plot not finished, anime starting up while it's going strong but doesn't appear to be coming towards its climax or close, so the anime may end up having to go its own route.

• Options
    VezyricVezyric Registered User new member
    Saw this series advertised via Funimation's Youtube channel earlier today and I was curious enough to have high hopes.

2 Episodes in, I hunger for more ravenously like so much meat. :D

Is it possible to call this FeudalPunk?

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Vezyric wrote: »
    Saw this series advertised via Funimation's Youtube channel earlier today and I was curious enough to have high hopes.

2 Episodes in, I hunger for more ravenously like so much meat. :D

Is it possible to call this FeudalPunk?

Very much so. The manga had some very nice world building split up so that it never really hit you in the face but gives you a good perspective of what the world feels like.

And that is a horribly depressing and rather realistic world.

There are cannons, and knives, and giant monsters trying to eat you.

The author did a really good job of making interesting characters that draw you in and care about them.
    Guess how much plot armor that gives them?

Hint: none

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    It's interesting how badass the anime OP is compared to the huge ammounts of dispair, hopelessness, and terror in the manga.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Odd, looking at this thread yesterday didn't register.

First time I saw the intro, not knowing anything about it, made me think of the giantslaying tailor.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Trailer: "not available in your country" 8->

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    This is tempting, but I'm also worried for the possibly-depressing reason already pointed out.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Echo wrote: »
    Trailer: "not available in your country" 8->

While it's not the same as the trailer, try the OP. (Fixed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKzum5xCGjQ

And see if this version of the trailer works for you. Fansubs vs official subs, but the same footage.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    This quote no longer relevant

Worth noting that that first link loops the OP a couple times, just to make the song longer.

Also, I love that this is a thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDHCLjuOzXY&feature=youtu.be

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    This seems right up my alley.

• Options

If depressing is the new Anime fad that replaces harem comedies and ultra-tits, then I'll gladly accept the trade-off.

I actually don't know anything about the plot beyond the first chapter/episode, but based on the comments posted, it sounds a lot to me like the Anime version of The Walking Dead. I already got that vibe based on the zombie-like movements of the Titans; it looks like a good number of them are unfocused and shambling about, while others seem to display some sort of coherence mixed with malice (like the grinning horror at the end of the episode). And as mentioned, it sounds like it isn't lacking in major character deaths, but I find that appropriate with the concept that these giants require serious effort to bring down.

edit: is that potato girl thing a spoiler? It seems like a spoiler.

From those linked pages, no. What happens afterwards, I'm not sure, but I do know she's a pretty popular character.
    The "action drama" stress is a bit too much for me, but they are heavily leaning on the manga style. I liked it when it was just the art style(bold outlining on characters, etc), but when it works into the animation and direction it gets weird.

Actually, I'm in favor of the Manga-like outlines they've incorporated into this series and a few others. For a good while it felt like some shows were far too "clean" with their designs, giving it a weird CG-assisted look that didn't feel like natural animation. Gundam Seed is the biggest example I can think of.

It's true that this method can be overdone as well that it also feels unnatural, but I think Titan has a good balance so far. I would still take it over the alternative.
    Jragghen wrote: »

And as a final note, don't be surprised if this ends up going the way of FMA - it's a similar situation. Monthly series, plot not finished, anime starting up while it's going strong but doesn't appear to be coming towards its climax or close, so the anime may end up having to go its own route.

Well, it's 24 episodes for the Anime, and the Manga currently has over 40 chapters. They should have plenty of material to cover a whole season over, if not two. More if they decide to do filler (but I really hope there isn't).

The budget is really high, so I don't think it would do them any good to deviate radically from the original Manga, since they would have to go back and cover the canon material like FMA did. But then again, that would probably be something that benefits them, since it would be an excuse for more Titan Anime.

• Options
    mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    Just finished watching episode 2 of this, and I have to agree that both Titan and Gargantia are the most promising anime to come out for a long time. Seriously feels refreshing to have something that isn't slice of life comedy or heavily aimed at hikikomori otaku fanboys.
    More than the depressing character drama, I think that the mystery of the titans pulls me in the greatest.
    spoilers for episode 2:
    Particularly the 50 meter giant from ep 1 and the armored guy from 2 seem almost like an entirely different thing and purpose than the shambling guys. Also it seems that they disappear almost immediately after they did their damage.

• Options
    VezyricVezyric Registered User new member
    ... it sounds a lot to me like the Anime version of The Walking Dead. I already got that vibe based on the zombie-like movements of the Titans; it looks like a good number of them are unfocused and shambling about, while others seem to display some sort of coherence...

I would largely have to agree with you on this point, especialy the coherence, but The Walking Dead is a lot more about "Hey look at these zombie exterminating badasses". Aside from TnA, Highschool of the dead is much closer in tone. I would have to suggest Attack on Titan is like Blood-C but good. With a large bit of Gantz rolled in.

• Options
    ... it sounds a lot to me like the Anime version of The Walking Dead. I already got that vibe based on the zombie-like movements of the Titans; it looks like a good number of them are unfocused and shambling about, while others seem to display some sort of coherence...

I would largely have to agree with you on this point, especialy the coherence, but The Walking Dead is a lot more about "Hey look at these zombie exterminating badasses". Aside from TnA, Highschool of the dead is much closer in tone. I would have to suggest Attack on Titan is like Blood-C but good. With a large bit of Gantz rolled in.

It's all post-apocalyptic 'humanity trying to survive against hopeless odds' storytelling. And it's the constant sense of dread in these stories that make hope spots all the more powerful.

• Options

That's an...interesting view of TWD. Even though the show added characters like Daryl, I always felt the main tone of the series has been consistent with all the different forms of media: surviving in a hopeless situation. The mortality of the main characters is always a focal point, and none of them feel invincible by any means.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    We're not invading another planet? (well, moon)

Damn you anime threads!

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    One thing I found unintentionally funny in the first episode
    was Hannes assuming a heroic stance to defend Carla and her children from the Titan.

Only to take one look at the big grinning horror staring back at him, to which he decides "Nope", sheathes his weapons and escapes with the kids.

But then it was followed by a rather heartbreaking moment where
    Eren's mother, who at first seemed resigned to her fate, loses her composure at the last moment and begs for her children to come back for her.

Just made the devouring scene that much more brutal.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Sorry, I meant the captain's(?) break down scene was silly and over dramatic, and I haven't read the manga, but I assume it was absolutely channeling it. Didn't enjoy it. But the art style in general is very awesome.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    I thought this was a good series, although not as strong as the other Gargantia series which you also recommended. This one has a very interesting setting, but I feel that while the Titans are vastly more threatening than zombies they still don't make sense as a world ending threat since we don't see the armies and guns failing against 'normal' titans.
    Clearly the 60 m tall titan is dangerous, and the armored super titan that rushed the gate is, but the normal ones just seem kinda pathetic. Yeah, they are big people. The humans have cannons. While a cannon might only be like a rifle compared to them, it's more than enough death dealing force. We needed a bit more 'captain exposition' to tell us why these titans were so terribly dangerous. I mean, they seemed to have never seen the two 'smart' titans before, so what were they worried about?

I do like the show though, there is a real sense of panic and threat there. Maybe the characters needed a bit less stereotyping and hyper emotional outbursts, but they did respond in semi-normal ways. Hopefully once they grow up a bit in future episodes we'll learn more about them, the world, and it's history.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    More Titan Fun Facts should be revealed in the next episode, but the thing that make them really dangerous is just how fast and dexterous they are. They aren't slow and lumbering, they just squish and grab and bite. If you're on foot there's pretty much no way to escape from them unless they're busy eating other people.

Also none of the weapons available to the humans have enough stopping power, even the cannons, for reasons that will be explained. And there's just a scary huge amount of titans in general.

In short, titans are logistically terrifying and the characters' existential dread and hopelessness is justified. I love this series.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    been reading the manga.. it can be a very depressing series.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB8_wfxWSGs
    This piano cover of the OP is fucking incredible.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    One thing I found unintentionally funny in the first episode
    was Hannes assuming a heroic stance to defend Carla and her children from the Titan.

Only to take one look at the big grinning horror staring back at him, to which he decides "Nope", sheathes his weapons and escapes with the kids.

But then it was followed by a rather heartbreaking moment where
    Eren's mother, who at first seemed resigned to her fate, loses her composure at the last moment and begs for her children to come back for her.

Just made the devouring scene that much more brutal.

Yea, I found that this scene was much better done in the manga with the inner monologue.
    Guy could save two lives for sure, or gamble everything and most probably doom everyone around him. Although there certainly was some element of pants-shitting terror of being confronted with the real threat, the anime just made it supremely comical through their abrupt cut. It just looked really dumb and undercut any tension they were trying to set up.

• Options
    Euphemon wrote: »
    This piano cover of the OP is fucking incredible.

Really made me think of some classic Castlevania theme songs.

• Options
    I really like the intro to this show.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    This is just a wild guess from someone who has no prior knowledge of the Manga, but my theory on the Titans so far is
    that they are a man-made experiment gone wrong, just like most zombies. The way the red skinless Titan was "beamed down" from the lightning bolt indicates that he was placed there, perhaps intentionally to bring down the wall or because whatever system was used to send him went haywire. The original idea was probably to drop the Titans down from a safe location, like an atomic bomb.

I'll also go on a limb and guess that Eren's dad is involved somehow. Before he left, he said he had something he wanted to show his son in the cellar, which I assume would have factored into his decision to join the scouting legion. It was probably some important info on the Titans that would have either helped him, or served as a deterrent to keep him from joining the legion.

Edit: Another theory is that
    the lightning bolt had struck a normal-sized Titan, causing it to mutate and grow into the big red Titan that brought down the wall.

That would explain the skinless appearance, as it probably grew so rapidly that it literally tore through its own skin.

• Options
    Watched the second episode recently, really loving this series so far. I did a damn double-take over
    the armored Titan. That was a crazy awesome moment of brutality

I stand by my earlier statement of comparing this series to a zombie apocalypse (namely TWD): the desperation of the evacuated civilians gets a good amount of focus.

Eren has spent the majority of his screentime screaming in both episodes, but that's justified so far. Curious to see how he and his sister grow from here on out. It also seems that Eren
    has some sort of precognitive ability. I wonder if the shot his father was giving him is connected to the epidemic that was mentioned in the first episode.

Can't wait for the next episode. Looks like Potato Girl will make her debut!

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Concerning your second spoiler (episode 2):
    It's just not-great storytelling/plotlining. Believe it or not, it's better than it was in the manga.

From the earlier events in the episode to when we see them in the bread/food line, there's a small timeskip. During that period of time, Eren met back up with his father, the stuff which happened in the dream apparently has happened, his father left him the key to the basement, and then he left again.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    I actually hadn't noticed that.
    I forgot he didn't have the key on his person prior to this episode. When he's look at the key around his neck, Eren doesn't give off this "how did this get on me?" expression, it's more like "I'd better not say anything about this".

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Yeah. At least that's how I think that part of the timeline played out.

Episode 2
    I can't think of any other reason that he would have the key, and I always took the dream to be a memory of something which happened to him in the past - I just always assumed younger childhood, but he talks about mom being dead and....yeah.

So basically:
    •He met his father again, which is why he has the key
    •At some point after his mother died, his father seemed to be doing some sort of injection/experimentation on him

So either it was precognition, or it happened during that brief period his dad was around that he got the key during

Jragghen on
  • Options
    I did read some of the manga while killing some time earlier today. Potato Girl is definitely one of my favorite characters in this. The series will be something I'll watch if they keep following the manga.

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    I can't wait to see how the show does things. I also can't wait to see the reactions when some of the plot points come to pass...

<ahem> hohohohohoho

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    So wait the manga series is available here? And it's already up to volume 4? How many chapters per book, I hear they are around 35-40 pages each.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    So wait the manga series is available here? And it's already up to volume 4? How many chapters per book, I hear they are around 35-40 pages each.
    4 chapters for the first volume, 5 for the ones after. e: Then back to 4 for volume 6 onward.

Volume 4 just came out, 5 is being released in June, 6 in September, 7 in December. Japan's up to 10 right now, but there's no other release dates for the States quite yet.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    /a/ recently had an amusing photoshop thread that replaces the Titan in the OP picture with something potentially worse.

I collected my personal favorites into an Imgur album, which you can check out here: http://imgur.com/a/BOpcv

I think this one is my favorite of the bunch.
    3rw1464.jpgp

• Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    Just watched the first ep and it was pretty good, i'll keep an eye out for more

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    /a/ recently had an amusing photoshop thread that replaces the Titan in the OP picture with something potentially worse.

I collected my personal favorites into an Imgur album, which you can check out here: http://imgur.com/a/BOpcv

I think this one is my favorite of the bunch.
    3rw1464.jpgp

Ha, I like the one with Guts.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    i'll try this!

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.