As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Attack On Titan]: Season 2 Now Airing

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Nevermind AoT, I'm surprised Black Lagoon is airing. Ton of swearing in that show.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    Nevermind AoT, I'm surprised Black Lagoon is airing. Ton of swearing in that show.

They bleep every F.

The same thing will happen for AoT.

It's....a little jarring.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Did the dub add a bunch of swearing for AoT?

That aside I don't think there's anything that will get censored. There has been way more violent stuff shown on Toonami by comparison.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    It remains to be seen if AoT would be censored.
    While it may not be as violent, AoT is a lot more visceral than other shows I've seen on Toonami. Someone exploding with bullet squibs or being cut apart by a blade is a completely different squick factor than being eaten/swallowed alive, even with all the zombie stuff we've been exposed to recently. All I can say is that those that haven't seen or heard of AoT before now are in for a hell of a first month.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    They rarely show people being eaten, though. Whether for TV guidelines or just directorial preference, they would often cut away just before someone would get chomped up and letting the screams and chewing sounds fill your imagination.

Frankly, it worked better that way versus showing straight-up gore.

• Options
    They specifically said it would be edited, but only "as much as Black Lagoon or ..." I don't remember the other example they gave.

In Black Lagoon, thus far they only thing they've edited are the (copious) uses of the word fuck, but (for example), they left in "limp-dicked son of a bitch."

I don't think you have to worry much about AoT being edited.

At this point the only real negative of the announcement is that One Piece is getting pushed back a half hour to 1:30, which is pretty late for such a great show.

• Options
    agreed, but I usually stay up for black lagoon anyways so one piece is on my viewing schedule, anyways. I like one piece, but I wish it stop with the DBZ pacing sometimes.
    I've given up on Bleach and wish they'd just can it. I'm tired of EBBs dodging every fucking super-ultimate-final-alpha-combo-unblockable-unbeatable-final move, or Nth degree Xanatos plan.

AoT, though. Boom. Shit gets real very fast. Even the city battle, strung out as it is, forwards the plot and levity of what's going on pretty well.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Chapter 56.
    "Anti-human threedimensional maneuver-gear" is an ominous term.

I'm going to pre-emptively pour one out for Hanji's squad

we've started learning their names, they're finished
    The crunchyroll translation used the term "Anti-personnel vertical maneuvering equipment" which is less sinister but still kind of coldly clinical

Gonna be interesting to see some serious human on human combat for once, though!

• Options
    agreed, but I usually stay up for black lagoon anyways so one piece is on my viewing schedule, anyways. I like one piece, but I wish it stop with the DBZ pacing sometimes.
    I've given up on Bleach and wish they'd just can it. I'm tired of EBBs dodging every fucking super-ultimate-final-alpha-combo-unblockable-unbeatable-final move, or Nth degree Xanatos plan.

AoT, though. Boom. Shit gets real very fast. Even the city battle, strung out as it is, forwards the plot and levity of what's going on pretty well.

There's ~26 episodes of the anime left, give or take, apparently. The anime was cancelled before the manga finished, which is indicative of its quality.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    Chapter 56.
    "Anti-human threedimensional maneuver-gear" is an ominous term.

I'm going to pre-emptively pour one out for Hanji's squad

we've started learning their names, they're finished
    The crunchyroll translation used the term "Anti-personnel vertical maneuvering equipment" which is less sinister but still kind of coldly clinical

Gonna be interesting to see some serious human on human combat for once, though!

This is one thing that bugs me about the manga

spoilers obviously
    at this point you can tell who is essentially safe: people who are established as badasses + have a unique design and anyone who was part of Eren's initial squad and featured (minus Marco).

I realize this a shonen but it bugs me that it gets so "yeah...they're safe..". When you have cool/likable character introduced bam ----dead. Lot of people say "THIS IS A WAR STORY ANYONE CAN DIE" but I don't feel that way, and I feel like the good war stories have "almost" random deaths and survivors. Instead of there being any rules. That being part of the horror. no rules. TBH it's really ALL of Levi and ALL of Mike's (from what I recall) being killed that bother me.

Mike's death,Dimo and Nick's death all served an interesting purpose.

Levi's Squad
    Ian
    Mike
    Mike's squad
    and
    recently Dimo.

I suppose you can argue Rico ,Kitts and Nile are exceptions. But I don't consider any of them particularly likable. I guess you argue Hannes death was prolonged for so long that it was a bit of an exception in an odd way even though he died.

I'll be honest, I'm mainly sad
    they killed Nanaba

(I liked you background short haired blond lady in Mike's crew...even if nobody else did..Or well noticed you)

Egos on
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Call me late to the party, but just marathoned the first 8 episodes on Netflix. Wow. Wow. I am quite impressed with the story, the characters, the lack of girl voices that make me want to eat glass. This is fantastic. Now, though, I'm emotionally spent and need to go watch something a bit more lighthearted so I'll be ready for more marthoning later. Wow.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    So, I've made it to the end of episode 13. This is exhausting. So very good, but so exhausting.
    I don't think I've ever been simultaneously so relieved and yet so sad as the moment when Eren plugged the hole with the boulder. And I'm so incredibly worried about how summoning/transforming is affecting Eren himself. This is nerve-wracking.

• Options
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    Call me late to the party, but just marathoned the first 8 episodes on Netflix. Wow. Wow. I am quite impressed with the story, the characters, the lack of girl voices that make me want to eat glass. This is fantastic. Now, though, I'm emotionally spent and need to go watch something a bit more lighthearted so I'll be ready for more marthoning later. Wow.

Oh, I might be late on this, but according to one of my friends, the order in netflix might not be right in the second half?

I'd double check that when watching, just fyi.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    oh hey no one posted this yet?

the second OVA is out (in not-English markets, mind), and it's got a pretty great take on the opening sequence. No spoilers or nothin', either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QolHmVk4b-A

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    Reminder: dub starts airing tonight.

• Options
    Just a reminder to be courteous on spoilers, as the Toonami airing might attract newcomers to this thread.

Also, they fucked up the OP bad.

• Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    what opening song?. hows anyone gonna get pumped if they haven't seen the series and are not allowed to see that opening song?

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah, my goodness, they butchered the opening. What then did to it should be considered a crime.

Also, I hate how they are pronouncing Mikasa's name.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    That's actually how I always pronounced Mikasa.

Changing basement to cellar though.... :s

• Options
    Isn't it supposed to be mi-KA-sa? I could swear that's always how they pronounced it in the original anime, and it's always how I pronounced it in my head reading it in the manga.

Maybe I'm way off base though. Ah well, doesn't matter now, it's not like they're going to change it at this point.

I think they did a pretty good job overall though.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Haven't watched a single episode, but I powered through all but the last 1 or 2 issues in 2 days recently (last month?). Does anyone know if it is particularly different?

Should I not mention the existence of paper media at all? (It wasn't in the first post rules but that doesn't mean nothin')

Boring7 on
  • Options
  • Options
    Boring7 wrote: »
    Haven't watched a single episode, but I powered through all but the last 1 or 2 issues on mangapark in 2 days recently (last month?). Does anyone know if it is particularly different?

Should I not mention the existence of paper media at all? (It wasn't in the first post rules but that doesn't mean nothin')

Nothing wrong with talking about paper media - we talk about each chapter as they come out, but you may want to edit the means by which you did so. I know you're not linking, but naming is kinda....well, the same thing in these sorts of cases.

Anime follows the manga relatively closely (there's a little bit extra in a couple cases), but in all but a few circumstances I'd say it's the better format just because the art is so much better/more consistent. And some of the animated scenes are goddamn AMAZING.

Also, for folks who watched the sub: might want to check out the dub, too. Apparently a few of those "pan over storyboard" sections are now fully animated - the dub is getting the blu ray version of the Japanese ones.

• Options
    Hello Darkness, My Old Friend...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Ah, good to hear the western localization is getting the bluray versions. There was some truly awful animation and art in the TV release at times.

I still doubt they'll be fixing the really janky pacing in places, though.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I assumed that the opening and ending would be cut for time issues because we give our broadcasts a bit less time than they do in Japan.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    That's good to know that editing the OP wasn't planned and that they're going to fix it. I'm curious how it happened in the first place though. Someone obviously made that decision.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    That's good to know that editing the OP wasn't planned and that they're going to fix it. I'm curious how it happened in the first place though. Someone obviously made that decision.

The first episode isn't supposed to have an ED. My guess is that they were going to do the full OP this week in place of a partial OP/partial ED, but someone up the line messed it up and went to what the "normal" thing for the rest of the series is going to be.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Eren is too loud!

I know he is the shoh-nan protagonist and all such but there is a distinction between shouting and screaming. I liked the dub anyway.

• Options
    Absalon wrote: »
    Eren is too loud!

I know he is the shoh-nan protagonist and all such but there is a distinction between shouting and screaming. I liked the dub anyway.

I've been seeing people commenting on this a lot, and I keep wondering if they forgot that the Japanese voice screamed way louder and more frequently in that episode?

Even a buddy of mine commented on it when he watched it the first time: "Man, that kid sure screams a lot."

• Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    Manga
    Am I the only one going nuts over the last manga chapter? Because holy shit!

• Options
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    Manga

I'm kinda....tired of this plotline, a little bit. I've been month-to-month on the series for over a year now, and I'm kinda "done" with the whole political intrigue thing for now. Wish he'd finish this arc up.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Chapter 57.
    Anti-human, indeed. Those don't regenerate, so it's fine.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    Manga

I'm kinda....tired of this plotline, a little bit. I've been month-to-month on the series for over a year now, and I'm kinda "done" with the whole political intrigue thing for now. Wish he'd finish this arc up.

Totally. When was the last time we even saw a Titan?

Manga:
    It feels like, other than a few references to conversations and stuff, they've completely dropped the plotline with Reiner and Ymir. I'm hoping the uprising stuff is headed somewhere good, but right now it just feels really boring.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    the current arc has the misfortune of being slow-paced after two very important, action-heavy stories. It feels like some of the stuff that's happening offscreen is way more interesting and mysterious? Plus a few neat characters are (hopefully temporarily) gone which also sucks. And yeah, it's taking a while.

However, considering the payoff is almost certainly
    us getting to see Eren actually fighting against people who use 3dmg, and wrecking buildings while Hange laughs maniacally in the background

I'm pretty ok with it

• Options
    What is your major malfunction, Jaeger!?

• Options
    Potato Girl! <3

Sheltering lonely potatoes in her stomach. A true hero.

• Options
    Hah, I was just coming to post the same thing. That scene was just as hilarious here as the original.

Steam | Twitch
This discussion has been closed.