As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

QUILTBAG USA (and elsewhere): Skim Milk Marriage for Everyone! (it's the gay thread)

BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
edited April 2013 in Debate and/or Discourse
Equality.jpg

MARRIAGE EQUALITY IN THE US

States with full marriage equality:
Connecticut
Iowa
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
New York
Vermont
Washington

The District of Columbia also has full marriage equality.

States where marriage equality is recognized but not performed:
California
Rhode Island

States with only legal civil unions or domestic partnerships:
California
Colorado
Delaware
Hawaii
Illinois
Nevada
New Jersey
Oregon
Rhode Island
Wisconsin

What's next? US Edition

time-gay-marriage.jpg

The Supreme Court is currently reviewing the DOMA and Prop 8 cases. Basically, these cases would determine whether or not same-sex couples could have the same benefits as married couples and be federally recognized as married, respectively. The rulings should come sometime in June.
Delaware just unveiled a marriage equality bill a few days ago. The governor has vowed to sign it into law if it comes to him.
Illinois' marriage equality bill is at the General Assembly, where it's stayed for a little bit awaiting a vote. The state branch of the NAACP endorsed the bill just yesterday.
Rhode Island's marriage equality bill has a stop at the state Senate, but has the support of a majority of the small state's mayors behind it, in addition to the governor's vow to sign it into law if it comes to him, and the combined support of the cities of Warwick, Providence and East Providence; Governor Chafee; a majority of Rhode Island voters; faith leaders; business leaders; and the Rhode Island Psychological Association.
Hawaii's House Judiciary Committee decided against hearing the marriage equality bill for the 2013 session, but it is likely to be heard, passed, and legalized in 2014.
Minnesota has a bill that should be voted on within the coming weeks. Whether it'll pass is unknown, but it has the backing of 26 prominent business leaders in the state, in addition to the leaders of 4 major political parties in Minnesota.
A new Quinnipiac poll shows 64% of New Jersey voters support marriage equality. There's a bill to hold public referendum, and a lawsuit working through state court, but unless Christie's veto is overruled, NJ won't see marriage equality at least this year.

MARRIAGE EQUALITY ELSEWHERE

Countries currently with full marriage equality:
Netherlands
Belgium
Spain
Canada
South Africa
Norway
Sweden
Portugal
Iceland
Argentina
Denmark

Countries that recognize same-sex relationships:
Brazil (other Brazilian states only)
Aruba, Curaçao, St Maarten (Netherlands only)
Israel
Mexico (Mexican states only)

Countries with only legal civil unions and/or registered partnerships:
Andorra
Austria
Brazil
Colombia
Czech Republic
Ecuador
Finland
France (included in a pact are New Caledonia + Wallis and Futuna)
Germany
Greenland
Hungary
Ireland
Isle of Man
Jersey
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
New Zealand
Slovenia
Switzerland
United Kingdom
Uruguay

What's next? World Edition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5E81h69tx5w

Uruguay voted to legalize marriage equality mid-last week. The president has vowed to sign it into law. It's country #12 with full marriage equality.
french%20marriage%20equality%20protest.jpg
France voted to legalize marriage equality last week also. Formalities still need to be made in the National Assembly next month to review minor amendments, but those are merely formalities; the main stuff of the bill (marriage and adoption) won't be affected. The president has vowed to sign it into law. It could be country #13 with full marriage equality, unless...
New Zealand has anything to say about it. NZ has its final vote this Wednesday, and could beat France to the punch of being lucky #13.
The United Kingdom are expected to legalize marriage equality this summer, which is around the same time France's legalized marriage equality is expected to be finalized and Uruguay's marriage equality will take effect.
Ireland's Constitutional Convention voted overwhelmingly (79 out of 100) in favor of holding a referendum on legalizing marriage equality. 81 voted in favor of of enacting laws to give appropriate protections to same-sex parents of children, and 78 voted in favor of enacting the laws throughout Ireland, rather than state-by-state. The government now has 4 months to respond on the matter.

Credit to @Sweeney Tom for the awesome OP

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
Blackjack on

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
  • Options
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Kudos to @Sweeney Tom and @Blackjack for the great job with the OP.

Atomika on
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    lunchbox12682 on
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up. Added.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I am so gutted that I won't be at work on wednesday when the news hits. it's gonna be a giant freaking party.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    National Organization of Jerks For Marriage still trying to keep its donor list secret.

Its been denied a repeal on a Federal level, but its currently at the Main state supreme court, one of the justices there, had this to say to their representation.
    "You have said, trust us, we did not do anything," observed Justice Leigh Saufley, challenging NOM's lawyer Kaylan Phillips during a hearing on Thursday. Saufley said NOM is essentially telling the judiciary that "you're simply going to have to rely on our word." But, she lectured, "that's not how litigation works in the United States."

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Fuck yeah this is my thread.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Yessss, please let NOM get burned down for election fraud. It'll be like getting Capone for tax evasion.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    We should have gay marriage in good ol' Scotland soon, can't see why it wouldn't go through here. It has popular support and the church doesn't have enough pull to prevent it.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    It never occurred to me that Ron's comment about how much he hates skim milk was stealth commentary on gay marriage.

Damnit Nick Offerman, why is it every time I learn more about you or your characters does my man-crush get stronger?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Everytime the supreme court depresses me, I listen to Kagan and Sotamayor.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    It never occurred to me that Ron's comment about how much he hates skim milk was stealth commentary on gay marriage.

Damnit Nick Offerman, why is it every time I learn more about you or your characters does my man-crush get stronger?

He was just on the Nerdist podcast recently, was a good episode.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Can we perhaps amend the threads title so it actually makes sense and says what's in the thread?

This sounded like a thread on either quilting, the evils of no-fat dairy or some obscene new variation on teabagging.

shryke on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Speaking of NOM... as their rich veins of silly-gooseite ore have been mined to near exhaustion here in America, apparently they are turning overseas for a fresh supply.

http://www.towleroad.com/2013/04/nom-launching-an-international-organization-for-marriage-with-deep-ties-to-france.html

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I like that OP more and more each time I look at it.

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    My state's disappointing.

We can't even pass an anti employment discrimination bill without AMERICANS DEFENDING FREEDOM and OMAHA LIBERTY PARTY coming out with the signatures to force a repeal vote. Every mayor of every city vetoes every bill and saying you're anything but against it in a political setting gets you eaten alive by anyone who can say the words "Nebraska Values"

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    Can we perhaps amend the threads title so it actually makes sense and says what's in the thread?

This sounded like a thread on either quilting, the evils of no-fat dairy or some obscene new variation on teabagging.

QUILTBAG is the long-form acronym for the LGBT community, it's allies, and affiliates.

• Options
    Queer/Questioning
    Undecided
    Intersex
    Lesbian
    Trans
    Bisexual
    Asexual
    Gay

camo_sig2.png

• Options

QUILTBAG is the long-form acronym for the LGBT community, it's allies, and affiliates.

That nobody has ever heard of.

• Options

That I personally have never heard of.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    It stands for

Queer and/or Questioning
    Undecided
    Intersex
    Lesbian
    Transgendered
    Bisexual
    Asexual
    Gay.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Well, me and 8 other people in this thread alone.

But please, let's pretend it's in any way well known the way, say, LGTBQ is. That's totally a good idea.

Shit, wikipedia even says:
    Another acronym that has begun to spread is QUILTBAG, from Queer/Questioning, Undecided, Intersex, Lesbian, Trans, Bisexual, Asexual, Gay. Again, this is not a common term

Perhaps the thread should use a term that is common and well known so those who might be interested know wtf the thread is about. Which is the whole point of a thread title.

shryke on
  • Options
    Let's not make a big out of this, okay?

It's a thing. Let's move on.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I knew about it due to a webcomic with that name.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    While we're at it, I hate the term queer

Even the people who use it as a serious term can't agree on what it means, anything from "LGBT" to "None of the above" to just being gay but not really the B or T, or some specific definition of the users own invention, or just younger slang for "gay", and then there's genderqueer which just by itself muddles the differentiation between gender and sex into a single term as well!

This isn't about being judgmental, this is about no damnit I'm not going to use terminology that has so many definitions it's effectively meaningless.

Grumble grumble

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    I'd never heard of quilt bag before either.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Kana wrote: »

Even the people who use it as a serious term can't agree on what it means, anything from "LGBT" to "None of the above" to just being gay but not really the B or T, or some specific definition of the users own invention, or just younger slang for "gay", and then there's genderqueer which just by itself muddles the differentiation between gender and sex into a single term as well!

This isn't about being judgmental, this is about no damnit I'm not going to use terminology that has so many definitions it's effectively meaningless.

Grumble grumble

I've always thought "queer" was a good big-tent term for everyone in under the QUILTBAG banner. It doesn't demand a lot from those who identify with it, and it applies to just about everyone in the acronym (and some who don't).

Queer basically means "not totally 100% within cisgender/heteronormative definitions."

It's a decent term. Labels have their place, but people also tend to get put into specialized boxes with those definitions, both by those outside those labels and by those who also use those labels. There are gay men who hold grudges against bisexual men; there are transpersons who like to get their underwear in a bunch over pre-op/post-op/non-op/non-hormone trans-identifying people. Lots of people feel like the label is a purity test, and it's just not so.

Everyone can use queer and not have to prove anything else.

Atomika on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The problem is that the right has worked so hard to turn queer into a pejorative.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Well really queer started out as a pejorative term, people that use it now is more in the sense of taking back the word.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Kana wrote: »

Grumble grumble

I've always thought "queer" was a good big-tent term for everyone in under the QUILTBAG banner. It doesn't demand a lot from those who identify with it, and it applies to just about everyone in the acronym (and some who don't).

Queer basically means "not totally 100% within cisgender/heteronormative definitions."

It's a decent term. Labels have their place, but people also tend to get put into specialized boxes with those definitions, both by those outside those labels and by those who also use those labels. There are gay men who hold grudges against bisexual men; there are transpersons who like to get their underwear in a bunch over pre-op/post-op/non-op/non-hormone trans-identifying people. Lots of people feel like the label is a purity test, and it's just not so.

Everyone can use queer and not have to prove anything else.

I use it for pretty much this reason.

What do I really have in common with a gay man? Not a whole lot, really. A cis lesbian? More, but...

But we're all queer and it makes it easy to find solidarity in what's really a rather disparate group.

That and "I'm queer" doesn't involve telling people anything specific, which is nice.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I wasn't familiar with QUILTBAG until this thread was posted.

I personally consider "queer" to be a catch-all. Haven't seen it used much in my circles but when it has it was intended as a blanket term.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

But please, let's pretend it's in any way well known the way, say, LGTBQ is. That's totally a good idea.

Another acronym that has begun to spread is QUILTBAG, from Queer/Questioning, Undecided, Intersex, Lesbian, Trans, Bisexual, Asexual, Gay. Again, this is not a common term

Perhaps the thread should use a term that is common and well known so those who might be interested know wtf the thread is about. Which is the whole point of a thread title.

Or we could use this opportunity to get more people aware of the term how about?

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    The problem is that the right has worked so hard to turn queer into a pejorative.

Not really. It was reappropriated decades ago.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Not really. It was reappropriated decades ago.

I don't hear it used negatively as often as "fags" but it's still easily the second most common slur I hear used.

That is, if you don't count "the gays" which is used as a stealth slur.

• Options
    If we're going down that hole, "woman," "girl," and "pussy" are very popular emasculating slurs for one man to hurl at another despite none of those things being negative in their own right.

I don't think anyone would condone disuse of "woman" as a descriptor.

• Options
    Except queer was designed as an insult and is still used as an insult. I don't think we ever "took it back" we just started using it for the same meaning but different purpose.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Or we could use this opportunity to get more people aware of the term how about?

Which won't happen if no one knows to click on the thread in the first place.

Thankfully, someone actually fixed the thread title.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I'm a straight man, and I'd never use the term queer.

I don't care how reappropriated it is, there is too much baggage associated with that term. In my head, it's right with the other nasty pejoratives for being gay, because it's always been a word I've heard used as an epithet.

Hopefully I don't offend, but I don't see it as much different than the n-word in the black community. It's been reappropriated, and can be used freely between members of that community, which I think is good. But there will never be a day as a white man where I feel comfortable saying that word.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    This Pro-Gay Boy Scouts Alternative Just Doubled its Membership

Navigators USA
    Founded in 2003. Had 19 chapters as of last year, has 45 chapters as of today.
    The Navigators' Moral Compass, expresses the group's philosophy that members shouldn't be discriminated against over gender, religious beliefs, or sexual orientation. Bossert says the organization has openly gay chapter leaders, as well as board leaders and co-members.

"We wanted our two sons to take part in scouting [and] we wanted to do that within an organization that reflects our family's values," says Porterfield. "Inclusiveness and respect for others is part of the Navigators program and something we discuss directly with our children."

Viskod on
This discussion has been closed.