As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So much joy! So much excitement! So much congratulations! [Weddings and Getting Married]

lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
edited October 2014 in Social Entropy++
So almost every little girl at some point in time has had the dream of walking down the aisle, or any aisle really, to get married to her dreamy prince. In the past a wedding would likely be a giant affair with your family, your town, and potentially the entire county along for the ride. But lately they're becoming a bit more low key. Or at least that's what my bridal magazines tell me!

There are a few of us here that have just recently gotten engaged and a few who have just recently gotten hitched! This thread is for us. It's going to be intended as a place where we can all get together and panic about planning, discuss the ups and downs and ins and outs and positives and negatives of In-Laws and families. Of best Friends and fighting bridesmaids! Of Groomsmen you adore and best men you might not be able to stand. Of catering and flowers and dresses and hair and makeup and suits and presents.

What I really don't want to happen is for the thread to devolve into an argument/discussion about the value of 'marriage' as an institution, or the big pile o'money that the bridal industry is. Most of us know that!

So ladies and gents and everybody in between and around, let's talk about weddings! I'll be sure to edit in some helpful links for resources and things in here when I find some!

The Knot This is a great place to get started with just a rough idea
Brides.com I've been using this lately to get an idea for hairstyles
Style Me Pretty
Once Wed
The Knotty Bride
Brooklyn Bride
Grey Likes Weddings
Gemvara Jewelry

(sidenote, i am so very bad at making OPs!)

lonelyahava on

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @Ecco the Dolphin and I are getting married on December 1, 2013. We're having a quiet little ceremony at one of my absolute favorite beaches. We're going to be having 2 gas grill set up under a tent and his best men are going to be manning the barbies while we all hang out and have fun.

At least, that's the current plan. I've been ridiculously organized, and I've already lucked out quite a bit!

I knew who my bridesmaids were going to be without any fuss, I knew my photographer and the same as my celebrant. And I knew the location as well. I've put together my food menu already and put down the deposit for the caterer, and the venue, and I've paid for the accomadation for my parents as well. I've designed the invitations and got my guestbook already.

I am insane.

But I was also very unemployed at the start of the year and planning my wedding was how I was keeping sane. And there's still so much left for me to do!

Big shout out currently to @#pipe for the Logo that he did for me for the wedding, It's been plastered on almost everything!

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    The wife and I will celebrate our 8th anniversary this july. Our big day turned out to be one of the hottest days of the summer.

Congrats to all of you getting engaged and subsequently married.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Out of habit, when my soon to be wife walked up next to me at our wedding I went to kiss her.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Lonely forever :(

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    I think I'd rather get married in Vegas or something. My mom has said she wants me to have a big wedding and man . . . I didn't enjoy the last big weddings I went to. No one is allowed to have any fun with so much family around.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    when i was younger I had the whole thing planned out. big reception, a fake winter wonderland, everything white on white with silver and crystals and blue and green.

about the only thing that's stayed the same is the blue. Everything else has changed. And It's only really hit the perfect thing for me now because of who I'm marrying. It just fits us.

I also wanted to have a Ketubah (Jewish marriage contract) all the time and a part of me still wants on, but mainly because they're just so beautiful nowadays. But that doesn't fit our relationship or our wedding. He's not jewish and our relationship is nowhere close to being based upon religion in the slightest. So probably not getting that. But I will be getting my Chuppah (mom's making it for me!)

• JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Going on 5 years this July, congrats Ahava : )

We had an incredibly simple and small wedding because that is exactly what we wanted. Almost no lavishness at all.

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    haha marriage

see its funny because I am terminally single

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    My wedding is going to be Hall & Oates themed.

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    I'm getting married next March, and the in-laws have decided to pay for our hall rental (which is awesome!), and we already have the dress and the rings. The rest at this point is details, but I want everything to work out well.

We've got bridal/groom parties ready, officiant chosen ... Our wedding cake is going to be cupcakes from an awesome local bakery, and I'm torn on my groom cake. I thought about doing a five-cake-in-one Voltron design (literally Voltron, with the black lion/chest being chocolate, the green lion/arm being like a chocolate mint, the blue lion being blueberry or something), but with the cupcake idea I could do some sprite art, maybe? Like each cupcake representing a pixel or something.

Oh, and we're doing the ceremony/reception at the same place. I've been to weddings where the ceremony was almost an hour drive from the reception, and that's just not my thing. We'll have the ceremony, tell everyone that the food is upstairs, and be done with it.

SrUxdlb.jpg
    Sundae bar at our wedding. We got premade cups of softserve from a local place and then had a big topping table. Also a sheet cake for non ice creamers

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    When my wife and I got married 5 months ago we both decided to have a smaller reception and wedding. Mainly because that was what we were comfortable spending and neither of us wanted to give our relatives any say in how we did things for the wedding.

We both live a ways away from our families so we went ahead and just set up everything at nice hotel and had them handle most of the staff and coordination issues. We skipped a cake since we don't like wedding cake and we had an assortment of pastries set out on each table. Macaroons, opera cakes, tarts and truffles. And we had one of our friends do the ceremony. I know my mother in law was not happy about that but we didn't want to mess with the whole church ceremony and have to pay for that. And I was not going to get baptized and all that other rigimarole.

All in all it worked out pretty well. There were some issues but it went off pretty well and everyone had fun. And neither of us wanted to stab our in laws during or after the wedding.

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    This is the perfect thread to post one of my favourite videos online

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    The wedding I went to this weekend was pretty good. Music sucked though.

Cocktail hour with open bar, passed appetizers, and an antipasta buffet. Nicely done.

Reception had seated fruit and salad courses, still with open bar, and then the food was done in stations all around the room so people could just go and get whatever they wanted. Fajita, slider, pasta, salad, gyro, and carving stations. There was also a mash potato bar.

Dessert had three fountains: dark chocolate, white chocolate, and salted caramel. A sunday bar and also a venetian table with italian pastries and cookies.

It was all rather good. But again, the desire to turn your wedding into some kinda club right out of the 90s is just...blaaaaaaaaaah. If the Dj yelled "c'mon! yea!" into the mic one more time I, well, I wasn't going to to anything but sit there with a scornful look on my face.

• ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    My housemate is getting married in like a month or so. He is 20 and only a little younger than me.

This is a weird feeling.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I think if there was anything I regretted about our ceremony, it's that I worried too much about being a host and making other people happy in the planning process. If I could do it all over again I would have not gotten hung up on my own ideas of what a wedding should be and just let us have a better time that focused on us.

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I got married in January. For now, she and I just had a courthouse wedding with a couple family members, but we're planning on having something bigger once we work out immigration and save up some money for it.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    I'm going to a wedding in June that is on/around a carousel in Glen Echo Park in MD.

This pleases me.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I have to plan a whole damn trip to New Zealand. D:

THANKS AHAVA.

OrokosPA.png
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    We also got a make your own wine kit and decorated the bottles. I don't drink wine, but it was gone pretty quick and no one died so it must've been ok

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    My girlfriend's younger brother is getting married to his girlfriend next year.

I'm assuming I'll be invited, and if so it'll be the first wedding I've ever been to. I'm looking forward to it!

• skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    yay, wedding thread!

@irtehmongoose and I are getting hitched in the fall
    Or that's the plan.
    Folks seem to think that's too soon for the amount of planning needed though..
    however, we're keeping it relatively small (20-40 people)

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Rings? This ring is cool as fuck:

il_570xN.332750734.jpg

Mokume gane is awesome, and then some nice gold, and then BAM a fucking meteorite on my finger!

Found a venue I liked (park by a lake), but realized that there's no real place for us to get ready.
    Ideas for solving this:
    a. Trailer
    b. Tent
    c. Different venue

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Nah, get ready at your or a friend's house, then be driven to the venue.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I have 3 weddings to go to next year
    March, April and May
    Unfortunately I'll probably only be able to take time off for one of them, but we'll see, because I LOVE WEDDINGS! DRINKS ALL AROUND!

that's what I thought originally! but I was told that's a thing you don't want to do?
    Closest house to the venue is still probably 30min away :?

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    My first wedding was the big thing, in a church, expensive dress, large reception, throwing the bouquet, invitations, the whole big expensive nine yards. I never really felt like it was MY wedding, it seems like my mother did most of the planning, and my shoes really hurt my feet, and half the people at the reception were friends of my parents that I didn't even KNOW. The honeymoon was to a stupid convention for stupid things I didn't even care about but my stupid Ex loved. It cost thausands and thousands of dollars on clothes and cakes and flowers and venues and all that shit and then a year and a half later I got divorced.

My second wedding was 7 people total. Me, my then husband-to-be, a county magistrate, my parents, his mom and sister. It took twenty minutes, then we all went out to lunch at a nearby restraunt. The most expensive part was the $800s for the rings, the ceremony cost $20, liscence cost $60 and lunch was about $150 for seven people including tip. Wasn't even a dress, I was comfortably in my own boots, and it was great. Then the family left to go home, me and the husband went to walmat and picked up a cake, wrote '"Fuckin' Wedding Cake" on it in those little sugary cake topper letter things, and called it good. Much less expensive, and much more MINE. Everyone had a great time, no one was uncomfortable, and there was no fuss. Plus since both sets of parents decided a check would make a grear wedding gift, and the total between the two checks was about $2000, we actually made a PROFIT on the whole deal!

I know a lot of people go for the whole big ceremony thing, but I would definately suggest to anyone getting married to make sure they do what THEY want. Its your wedding. If a ten foot dress train and a cake the size of a small child is for you, thats fine do it. But if something simple is more you, then don't let people push you into something else just out of tradition.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • StareosarusStareosarus Mrs. Lady Smart Hero FloridaRegistered User regular
    skettios wrote: »
    Found a venue I liked (park by a lake), but realized that there's no real place for us to get ready.
    Ideas for solving this:
    a. Trailer
    b. Tent
    c. Different venue

I did hotel room. We had a 3 PM wedding, but I let hotel know we needed to be into the room early so I could get dressed. Then @abracadaniel and I stayed there that night instead of our apartment. Made things nice!

that's what I thought originally! but I was told that's a thing you don't want to do?

Dunno who told you that, I've been to 6 weddings and they were all like that.

Thing is, on the morning of you're going to be stressing out, so you want to be getting ready somewhere you feel comfortable. And the half hour limo ride is for cracking jokes and sipping, that's SIPPING, champagne.

Thing is, on the morning of you're going to be stressing out, so you want to be getting ready somewhere you feel comfortable. And the half hour limo ride is for cracking jokes and sipping, that's SIPPING, champagne.

ooooo LIMO

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I'm going to a wedding in like, two weeks. I used it as an excuse to finally buy a suit, though I still have to pick up a nice dress shirt and tie. I am gonna look good.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    I wanna zip line into my wedding.

Fuck that being announced and walking out BS.

ooooo LIMO

Daimler it up, it's your damn wedding!

1991-daimler-ds420-limousine.jpg

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    My friends got married in November and there's was the best wedding I've ever been at mostly because it was predominately people my age there.

They had a simple ceremony they planned themselves with the help of the brides mam. They had friends play music and sing during the ceremony. They made each other tea which was super sweet/awesome. They had their oldest friends tell stories about them and how they met.

The food was great and they had photos of every person at the wedding for placeholders which was a nice personal touch.

The music was amazing! It started off with a ceili cause a lot of us had met in the gaeltacht. It was so much fun doing all the dances again and seeing everyone getting so into it. Then they had a band playing some awesome songs. Everyone in the middle rocking out to some system of a down? Sure thing!

DJ afterwards was pretty great but that's because they gave him a list of music to play and he wasn't being paid to take requests or play his own stuff. They made some excellent choices.

Pity the residents bar closed so early.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    man, all my friends around here done got married already. Who's not married yet, I'm gonna move closeby. Gotta have that open bar and single bridesmaids, tho. Or amenable bridesmaids, whatever.

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    June 1st

Can I tell y'all a hilarious joke about choosing a venue with a dedicated (and non-optional) catering service?

Why did the caterer ask the couple to put 70% of the cost of their bill down as a non-refundable deposit two months before the wedding?
    because fuck you is why

• GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Wait what really? Congratulations @lonelyahava ! And Ecco! That is tremendously exciting :0

What other news have I missed from CF?

• ReciprocityReciprocity Registered User regular
    just went to a gorgeous wedding this weekend in this building:

100668-004-FE1A62C9.jpg

I printed the invites for it, and got to incorporate some of the awesome architectural flourishes.

Our wedding was here:

Ness%20Bond%20Chapel%203-L.jpg

I had a really good time at our wedding, although the AC units we paid extra for didn't work and it was sweltering, but our DJ was awesome and everyone kept dancing anyway.

I think we managed to strike the right balance between keeping it intimate and less expensive but still making sure that everyone had a good time. If I had it to do over again, I don't think I'd change anything (except not pay for those shitty AC units)