As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So much joy! So much excitement! So much congratulations! [Weddings and Getting Married]

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure. I think it might have been the couple who introduced them. I've never even seen pictures from their wedding, though, so I dunno.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    My parents didn't have a wedding party because my dad sort of planned a surprise wedding and only told my mom the day before. My one sister also didn't have a wedding party and we aren't having one either.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I don't know for certain, but I could probably take a few educated guesses. Wouldn't give myself more than 50/50 chances of getting it right, though.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    My parents didn't have either.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    That's a good point, they just may not have. Huh.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Pretty sure my parents just didn't have a moh/best man. I do know for my wife's parents because they married a couple of years ago and chose their two daughters as witnesses.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Dad's best man was his friend Brent. Mom's was her childhood best friend Sondra. She also had i think 3 bridesmaids. One of whom is my dad's sister.

who decided to use my parents wedding reception to announce her engagement.

She's special.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I know someone who proposed at their sister's engagement party.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    See, that wouldn't phase me. Double celebrations!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Guess it's one of those 'you have to know her' kind of thing.

she's one of those ladies who absolutely MUST have everything about her, and if it's not, even for a moment, it will be.

She once locked my cousin in the car outside of the BK that my birthday party was at.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Viv has told someone that they aren't allowed to get engaged until we are married.

So I told her it's cool if she wants to get engaged at the reception.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Don't know my mum's Maid of Honour, my dad's Best Man was a friend from university called Martin.

My granddad's best man for his second marriage was my dad. His speech started: "I've known this man all my life; he's been like a father to me."

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I know my parents did the courthouse thing, but I don't know if they even had anyone there with them to stand as witnesses.

• Options
    See, I find this interesting!

Or maybe I now don't feel so bad. I mean it's just something interesting, these were people who were important to our parents, but we don't know who they are.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    But they got married 38 years ago! That's ancient history

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    So I asked my sister.

Turns out, firstly, she has no idea of the phrase, "pop quiz hotshot" or who they were.

So disappointed.

• Options
    Mostly about the first part.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    As her brother, you hold a certain level of moral culpability here Blake

(hi Blake how's Noosa?)

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Well, I'm drunk.

• Options
    It's a nice holiday place, so it's fine on weekends.

But honestly, I'd prefer to be in a mining camp any other day of the week.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    We have good ice cream here

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    As a general poll, how many people know who was their parent's best man and maid of honour.

I realised the other day I had no idea.

Best man I know
    Matron/maid of honour I think I could take a pretty good stab at, but I'm not 100% sure. If it's the person I'm thinking of, she's also my sister's godmother so that always overwrote all previous relationships.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Blake are you in Noosa?

I got a tooth punched out in Noosa once

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    guys guys our wedding is this coming Saturday and i am nervous as fuck.

send help.

(i basically just want the day to go smoothly and am now worrying about all the small things that might prevent that)

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    It'll go fine, man! At this point there's nothing much more to do, so just relax and let it all shake out. :D

Having said that, my wedding is also on Saturday and I am also getting pretty jittery, so maybe take that advice with a grain of salt

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Wedding rings! Wedding rings that were supposed to be orange anodized on the inside but are kinda... reddish! oh well! I was sooooo stressed they wouldn't fit well because they're titanium, but mine at least fits exactly like it's supposed to. I won't know about his until 8:30 tonight when he gets home from work. They're engraved on the inside too!
    EUK3CMh.jpg?1
    GUu6nTZ.jpg?1

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Wow, the inside is really gorgeous! Love the color.

• Options
    #pipe wrote: »
    Blake are you in Noosa?

I got a tooth punched out in Noosa once

Yes, I remember that story!

Then you drove home!

• Options

send help.

(i basically just want the day to go smoothly and am now worrying about all the small things that might prevent that)

Man as long as your lady shows up on the day no one is going to care if the little things aren't perfect and in ten years time you won't even think about them.

Also don't get drunk before the wedding, because apparently it's illegal to marry intoxicated people.

APPARENTLY.

• Options
    Also in my discussion of the movie speed and MoH and BM for my parents, we decided to have a guess.

I had no idea who was my dad's BM but I did get the MoH right. My sister got both wrong.

• Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    So I got engaged a few weeks ago, and while things haven't gotten too deep into the planning I'm finding I've already got anxiety about a bunch of things.

For one, I asked my best friend to be my best man. Apparently someone in my family isn't happy with this, and think the position should have automatically gone to my older brother. My older brother and I didn't always get along, and it's only recently that we've been having civil, even friendly conversations (for context, I'm 30 and he's 33. This new civility has been going on for maybe 4 years tops). I would rather my best man be someone who's had my back as long as I've known him, who I can trust to be at my side during the dark times, and my best friend has been those things.

I want to ask my brother to be a groomsman, since I figure the virtue of just being family has earned him that much, but I'm terrified to actually ask. Why? Because I have no idea which family member is upset that I didn't ask him to be my best man because my mom won't tell me. She won't tell me because she doesn't want me to be mad at that family member. So here I am, best man secured, most of my groomsmen secured, and too anxious to ask the last one, who should frankly have been the easiest one to ask, because SOMEONE in my family is a selfish prick who wants to dictate how I select my wedding party and my mom is protecting them.

On top of that, I've not been too involved in any of the rest of the planning, and I'm worried that my fiancee is doing a ton of shit that I'm not even privy to, and that makes me feel like I'm not contributing when I should be. On top of that, she originally wanted to have the whole thing in Haiti, which she mentioned like a year ago (to which I said "we'll talk about it when the time comes"). When it came up after I proposed, I mentioned that if we did it in Haiti, nobody on my side (which is already much smaller than hers) would be able to go, especially my friends. I found out about a week later that she took that as me flat out saying no, and was kinda broken up about it. She's okay with it now apparently but I'm still kinda bummed that I unintentionally pooped on her dream.

Also, as a groom-to-be, am I out of line for being of the opinion that this isnt "her" day, but "our" day? Everyone - family, friends, coworkers - is saying that I need to just take a back seat and keep my mouth shut because it's her day, but that kinda grinds my gears because, well, I'm part of this thing too yanno?

Though I should clarify that my fiancee hasn't said anything of the sort - I have no doubts that she wants me to be happy with the wedding and have a good time and not be a silent partner, because if I had any of those doubts I wouldn't have proposed.

Am I being a big goose?

• Options

send help.

Man as long as your lady shows up on the day no one is going to care if the little things aren't perfect and in ten years time you won't even think about them.

Also don't get drunk before the wedding, because apparently it's illegal to marry intoxicated people.

APPARENTLY.

well shit cause i was gonna get drunk as fuck before the wedding!
    nah that's for crazy ass dance party after the ceremony

ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    If you ever want to make Vivienne switch to super angry in a new speed record try telling her that I'm getting drunk before the wedding.

• Options
    Nah inx, I don't think you've done anything wrong.

Here is the thing though.

Despite everyone saying the day is about you. (and it is!) people want to think that they know what you want more. And people get upset when they are wrong!

I'm nintey percent sure every couple here had pissed someone off. Dave and his wife annoyed his brother because they wanted a surprise wedding which meant you can't tell people overseas to come to a surprise wedding. I've annoyed my "family friends" (re: my parents friends who I have not seen in years) because I don't want those people here.

But it is your wedding and you aren't a millionaire so don't afraid to make compromises if you aren't on board with the idea.

• Options
    @Inx rule of thumb i've found for this whole wedding is this: it IS your day, but it is also your family's day.

you have to be considerate for your family, since they will be involved, but ultimately you and your SO's choices are the most important.

the last few months for me and my fiancee have been careful weaving through family and friend expectations, annoying politics, and weird family quirks and still reaching a result that ends up something the fiancee and i are happy with. there are some compromises, but just so much that we don't think they go against what we wanted for the day.

huh, just like a marriage is supposed to be!

ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    my mom has already volunteered my niece to be a jr bridesmaid for my fiancee and it definitely pissed us both off.

it would be a nice gesture but we could have made the decision ourselves!

we're both of a mind for a small ceremony and a fun reception but we'll see how that works out. i'm just hoping her family's tradition of having dry weddings not carrying over to ours. we both like to drink and it's a small sliver of her folks that are teetotalers

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    ...people want to think that they know what you want more. And people get upset when they are wrong!

Oh my god this. This can basically apply to every milestone for anyone ever.

People drive me nuts.

• Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    Thanks for the replies guys - I wasn't so much concerned about catering to the families so much (like the Haiti thing. My family wouldn't have gone for it and I kinda knew) but more the whole concept of "it's the bride's day, the groom doesn't get to make any decisions because it's not his day" thing that everyone who isnt me, my fiancee, or my groomsmen keep spouting.
    my mom has already volunteered my niece to be a jr bridesmaid for my fiancee and it definitely pissed us both off.

it would be a nice gesture but we could have made the decision ourselves!

we're both of a mind for a small ceremony and a fun reception but we'll see how that works out. i'm just hoping her family's tradition of having dry weddings not carrying over to ours. we both like to drink and it's a small sliver of her folks that are teetotalers

This is something I'm SOOO glad I don't have to deal with. I have no problem with people who don't drink, but fiancee and I have both made it super clear that there will be booze at our wedding. If you're into sobriety, order a water.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    It can be your day as much as hers if you want.

Maybe you two should sit down and figure out what is important to you two and may be hash out what you want your budget to be.

Vivienne is concerned about things I do not care for and I for example wanted a cake which she didn't really care for.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Also I figured out a cool thingie to throw on the tables for decoration.

Is going to be boss.