As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So much joy! So much excitement! So much congratulations! [Weddings and Getting Married]

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Hope no one minds I bring back this thread, but I've got a little story to tell.

So, our wedding is June 11. Yes, we will be married on 61116, and it would have been 6+10=16, but that's a different story. This last sunday, less than 3 months before the wedding, we realized we still don't have an officiant. A mini "oh shit we are overwhelmed" panic attack later I went on the county's website and found a list of judges and other officials willing to officiate a wedding. On that list was an email address for a liberal judge that is currently running for state supreme court, so I thought why not take a shot and send off an email.

If the April 7th election goes the way I think it will we will be married by a sitting Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice, in the beautifully and recently remodeled central branch of the public library, a block from the state capital, on the yearly palindrome.

Heh. I thought I knew what excitement felt like before.

Heheh.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Thread resurrection!

6 months in to our engagement we've decided it's time we started some actual wedding planning, planned a drive down to one of the venues we liked the look of - had a beautiful gazebo by a lake, nice grassed area and stuff. Some last minute googling by my fiancee found something in the same area but very different, so we stopped in and had a look there too.

This week we sent off our booking form, and all going according to plan we'll be getting married here.
    w1jmav90c9of.jpg

Or, for a better angle:
    pupyxmybinmy.jpg

Best of all, it's cheap enough that we're now looking at 2017 rather than 2018. We're happy to let the scenery speak for itself so very little needed in the way of decorations.

We're also about 90% sure we've found our caterer and photographers, so we feel like we're doing alright for about 3 weeks into planning!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I'm ushering / doing a reading at my sister's wedding next week, and Mrs Rhesus is bridesmaiding, so it's a timely thread resurrection.

The instructions for groomsmen are brown shoes (with a grey suit, blech) and matching belt. I spent my lunch hour today trying to find a belt that matched what are apparently a pair of shoes made out of some kind of extinct cow breed that's a different colour to all remaining leather in the world.

Should be a good event, though, and I get to read Shakespeare in a location connected with his time on the south coast, so that's cool.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Matching doesn't always mean identical color/shade. Also, from a fashion standpoint, if the shades are too close they'll actually clash, technically.

But that's awesome!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Matching doesn't always mean identical color/shade. Also, from a fashion standpoint, if the shades are too close they'll actually clash, technically.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Okay, so far...

Venue: Booked
    Caterer: Booked
    Photographer: Booked
    Celebrant: Waiting to hear back, she had someone else interested in that day but they haven't put a deposit down and are being slow getting back to her
    DJ: Had a few solid recommendations, we e-mailed one and his reply sounded....well, very douchey, so we've been in touch with another and they are looking good
    Booze: Have a price list (subject to change since we're almost a year and a half out still) from a company that will deliver drinks chilled and iced in tubs, and the caterer is supplying staff to man the bar so no one goes too silly.

My sister is a florist, and sister-in-law-to-be (future sister-in-law-in-law? whatever) is a makeup artist so they're also locked in. I've chosen a wedding band I like but no rush to order it, and the bride's is part of a set with the engagement ring.

Still on the list:
    What to wear
    Save the date cards / invites
    Accommodation
    Probably a million other things

...but I feel like we're doing alright!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular

Wedding selfie from a few weeks ago!

Weather was perfect and getting married on our own meant everything was stress/worry free. For us this was definitely the best way to do it, we only had two registrars, two witnesses (local farmer's wives who wanted to wear their new dresses) and the photographer and that still felt like too many people!

r5s22ley4vw6.jpg

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Hey all! Look at me, getting to post in here now!

My girlfri...fiance! and I got engaged 2 weeks ago. It's been a bit of a weird time for us - her mom passed very unexpectedly in April, and that kind of put a stop to plans. We've been together 4 years, and I had planned on proposing in May, after speaking with her parents, but when her mom passed it just felt...inappropriate. So I waited a bit.

To make the day more happy and special for her, I coordinated for her family to be waiting in our apartment once we got back. I knew the day would be bittersweet, so having her aunts and father there when we returned really kept everything celebratory.

So now...the actual planning. Because of everything, she really just wants a fun, special party. No bridal parties, no bridal shower, no anything really other than a pretty ceremony and a celebration. She also wants us to pay for this entirely on our own.

In a semi-selfish move we started to think about doing it on a cruise. We went to a cruise wedding once and we had a blast. The ceremony was on day 1, at some beach in the bahamas, and you had the rest of the cruise to yourself. It was awesome to have friends on board but also be able to do whatever you want alone. It seemed like a good mix. So the selfish part is you're essentially passing the cost of everything on to the guests, as they have to pay for the cruise. But the up-side is you can invite literally everyone, with the right cruise package drinks are free, so open bar all week, and you don't have to worry about food. So it's less a wedding and more trying to convince everyone to come hang out with you for a week.

We figured if we offer to pay for those who we REALLY want there - close family - it would STILL come out way cheaper than a "normal" wedding. But as I research things, it's getting scary. This shit is super expensive.

And on top of that, her father is like, incredibly religious. I am incredibly not. So now she's trying to plan a SECOND small church-type wedding JUST for him and her grandma, which I think is insane and overkill.

We've only been engaged 2 weeks, so my guess is we're both just wildly flailing and trying to plan too much too soon. We were looking at random "How to plan a wedding" books in stores yesterday in an attempt to calm us and get us on track...but they ended up stressing us out more.

Any suggestions from you fine folk?

I look forward to talking with everyone in the coming months as I plan this out, and thank you in advance for the times you talk me down from insanity...

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Wedding planning has been mostly fun so far, but I've run across a couple of issues that are giving me stress.

A couple of bridesmaids waited a little too long to order their dresses - and the delivery date promised by David's bridal is 3 days before the wedding :O If those don't come early or on time there will be some last minute panic shopping and a couple of mismatched bridesmaids. One of them is the maid of honor so that can look like it was planned. But the other one is a bridesmaid, and I also have a matron of honor who already has the correct dress. But oh well roll with it I guess.

Another thing that just came up - we registered for china and I've kinda fallen in love with what we picked out. However Greg's uncle just offered to give us china from his great grandfather that was originally purchased in France - which is really awesome and I'm touched to receive that kind of gift. I will treasure it and display it and never use it for fear of breaking it. However it looks nothing like what I picked out and I'd still like the modern set to actually use. He asked us to remove ours from the registry but I really don't want to. :(

After typing this all out it seems so #firstworldproblems but it is causing me to stress.

Gizzy on
    Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    46 days until the big day
    Bridesmaid Dress situation still not resolved :(
    Got my cake details finalized - we are going to have a combined bride/groom cake. A white cake with a peacock on top and the peacocks tail cascades off the side onto the table as chocolate cupcakes

Still to do - finalize music stuff, decide alcohol stuff, pick out bridesmaid jewelry, arrange transportation/ get away for that night, bug everyone about sending their rsvp

• Options
    32 days

1 stray bridesmaid dress was delivered, now just waiting on the last one. David's Bridal has promised it will be in by the end of Sept.

Ordered some fancy handkerchiefs for the moms and some pocket watches for the dads. I have decided to undergo an arts and crafts project to decorate flip flops. I'm now procrastinating on this.

Still need to experiment with cocktails to see what I like. Looking forward to doing that this weekend. I'm not much of a drinker though so I don't know where to begin. I like sweet drinks and want one of them to be blue.

• Options
    Testing out some wedding cocktails tonight!

vsjzaaow45gt.jpg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Well, what are they?

I'm partial to the look of the one on the left.

but i love the color blue.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    A kamikaze and a grasshopper?

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    a wedding thread huh

i'm getting married this month

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Weddings are great, being married kicks ass. Gonna celebrate our first wedding anniversary end of this month

Also amaretto sours are my go-to classy drink. They're just so good

• Options
    Well, what are they?

I'm partial to the look of the one on the left.

but i love the color blue.

The blue one was Sprite, vodka, blue Curaçao, sweet and sour mix - it tasted like weird Sprite to me. I might try adding ginger beer to it. I'm looking for a blue drink that I like the taste.

The green one was a White Russian with creme de minthe added to it. We voted to leave the mint out.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    We have a venue chosen, and will be booking it this week, probably.

A year and a week to go.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    9 days!! Ah!!!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    a wedding thread huh

crwth you never told me we were getting married

what day do you want to do it?

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I contacted a bunch of my county's registered civil celebrants earlier, because the state of Virginia sucks and won't let my (internet-ordained) sister officiate my wedding. One of them got back to me and said he was available on our date. I googled him before replying (which I probably should have done before emailing, but that was a lot of people), and now I know way, way more about a seventy-five-year-old man's ejaculation difficulties than I needed to.

Also, based on his very open Facebook, I think he is a disaffected Bernie supporter who is voting Trump because Muslims. :?

So, we're still looking for an officiant.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    crwth wrote: »
    a wedding thread huh

crwth you never told me we were getting married

what day do you want to do it?

today

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    so i'm on the way to the venue and i'm blasting music and it's hitting that hey i'm getting married today

please look at our engagement pics! https://www.theknot.com/us/pinerodunnwedding

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    hi everyone i promise this is the last time i bump this thread but yesterday i saw my wife in her wedding dress and i cried like a big dumb baby

mb2r1mb5yu7s.jpg
    tjznaf8t4q2q.jpg

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    awww you two are so lovely together!

congrats crwth!

• Options
    speaking of engagement photos:

S9EGovml.jpg

z7OjaHxl.jpg

t69ySeml.jpg

we just got ours done!

http://www.kelsiebeck.com/ takes some excellent photos, and is a lot of fun to work with

• Options
    Here's some wedding photos of me and @Zombie Hero - our big day was Oct 15! I'm still waiting on the professional photos -

f3lwbxdjdqoo.jpeg
    xo9bmnh9ol76.jpeg
    u6t0wsvmfs5w.jpeg

• Options
    Horray!

Next Monday we celebrate our first Anniversary, gonna celebrate this weekend with a football game, then handing out candy for Halloween

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    speaking of engagement photos:

S9EGovml.jpg

z7OjaHxl.jpg

t69ySeml.jpg

we just got ours done!

http://www.kelsiebeck.com/ takes some excellent photos, and is a lot of fun to work with

did you guys take pics on different days or have a change of outfit? it all looks great!

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    we brought a few extra sweaters, it was pretty much the perfect fall day to do it

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    I contacted a bunch of my county's registered civil celebrants earlier, because the state of Virginia sucks and won't let my (internet-ordained) sister officiate my wedding. One of them got back to me and said he was available on our date. I googled him before replying (which I probably should have done before emailing, but that was a lot of people), and now I know way, way more about a seventy-five-year-old man's ejaculation difficulties than I needed to.

Also, based on his very open Facebook, I think he is a disaffected Bernie supporter who is voting Trump because Muslims. :?

So, we're still looking for an officiant.

Most states, as far as I know, will let someone get a one day certification to perform official type stuff. Found this on ze googlors:

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/pdf/1x_civil_marriage.pdf

(important note: you get the $500 back once all the marriage paperwork is filed at the courthouse/town hall, it does not actually cost $500)

This one is specifically for Fairfax County, but there are almost certainly versions for all the other parts of Virginia too. This is what my wife and I did when we got married in Massachusetts, worked great. I'd talk to whatever the official government location in the town you're getting married in is (for us it was a town hall, other places it'd be a courthouse, etc).

• Options
    Also I was extremely pleased with how our cake turned out:

zfnjy85no4ip.jpeg
    dxdf7kwopuf3.jpeg

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Non-wedding cake desserts, excellent! This seems to be quite popular right now (my wife and I had a waffle + sundae bar, friends of ours this summer had all sorts of brownies and lemon bar type stuff, another friend had pies...), which is great.

edit: not that wedding cake is bad, but not everyone likes it, so options are great!

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    That cake is AWESOME.

We picked our venue today and set a day - Sept 29, 2017. Day before my birthday. I will never forget our anniversary.

We eventually just decided to do the whole thing - ceremony, reception, everything - at a hotel in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We went from every idea from a cruise to a beach house before realizing the whole goal is just a big easy party for everyone, and the best way to do that is let everyone stay where the party will be. No driving, no worries.

They're also including the cake for free with the catering/beverage/reservation so that was super awesome.

Now to figure out how to get a DJ!

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    mxmarks wrote: »
    That cake is AWESOME.

We picked our venue today and set a day - Sept 29, 2017. Day before my birthday. I will never forget our anniversary.

We eventually just decided to do the whole thing - ceremony, reception, everything - at a hotel in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We went from every idea from a cruise to a beach house before realizing the whole goal is just a big easy party for everyone, and the best way to do that is let everyone stay where the party will be. No driving, no worries.

They're also including the cake for free with the catering/beverage/reservation so that was super awesome.

Now to figure out how to get a DJ!

I've forgotten my birthday/age enough times to not be so sure about this :P

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, I'm at less than a week away from my own nuptials (this Saturday, October 29th). Just finished paying my last vendor today, so all that's done now. Feeling nervous, but happy as well. Will be glad to see family and friends when everything comes together.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    We had a small cake and cupcakes based on lemon meringue, and then cheesecake and pavlova.

You all look so very lovely! So excited for your all!

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    @crwth I'M TEARING UP AT YOUR WEDDING PICS, THANKS

YOU BOTH LOOK GREAT AND AMAZING AND I'M SORRY I DIDN'T SNAP YOU CONGRATULATIONS

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    haha thanks! it was a really great time!

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, one more day until the big event. And it's been...long. Still have the rehearsal dinner to get through.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum