As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So much joy! So much excitement! So much congratulations! [Weddings and Getting Married]

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Yeah, go for it Casby! Sorry you're having to face a decision like that. I've always viewed a marriage as a celebration of family, and if you need to have a ceremony moved up to have an important family member there then so be it. Anyone who gives you flak about it needs to be reminded of why we have these celebrations in the first place.

As Ahava said, it may be a good idea to let your closest friends and family know your legal plans, just so they don't get their feelings hurt later. I had a friend who did the opposite of what you're doing (got legally married months before and later had a big wedding celebration). Her family found out, and were hurt that they weren't told when they were 'actually' married.

All the best to you two, though, and congratulations!

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    We received our wedding photos so I thought now would be a good time to do announcements.
    So... does anyone have advice on wedding announcements?
    How to word it
    What it should include. Obviously going to have a picture of ourselves on it but... Not sure if I should have a link to the wedding photos or add them to our wedding site or what.

I have a lot of extended family and specifically didn't send them invitations cause we didn't want to have the ceremony be inflated.
    Doing some of my own research I'm realizing that maybe I was supposed to send these out the day after? But.. I thought pictures would be nice to have in that sort of thing.. waaaa

skettios on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    "Yo! We got hitched!"

honestly, do whatever makes you happy and whatever makes it less likely for your extended family to come at your with pitchforks.

I personally think the photo of you 2 being all American Gothic would be an AMAZING announcement photo.

I guess

"Just wanted to let you know, that Skettios and Mr Skettios totally got married on this day at this time in this place. We appreciate your love and support and hey, you can totally send us money."

Or something else probably a little more tactful. :P

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Wedding venue hunt continues this weekend.

The church we found at Christmas is Church of England which has quite restrictive rules on parish residency, so in order to keep the reception venue we found viable it's either going to have to be Ripon Cathedral (still C of E but with less restrictive rules) or a tiny Catholic church where our eligibility is more or less up to the local priest.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Picking out which photos to print and frame is hard! Love that our photographer just gave us the photos though :)
    Maybe I'll just get them all printed in a book in addition to the ones I get framed.

skettios on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    This week Jen and I have been married 10 years. Sometimes, it only feels like 10 times as much, particularly at 3am when the baby's crying. But anyway, seeing as 10 years ago was the era of dial up and pic hosting was so much hassle back then, it was only today in recognition of the centenary decade that I actually have put a selection of our wedding pics online.
    This was our venue, the historic star boating club at the waterfront lagoon. The picture was taken from the footbridge over the inlet connecting the harbour to the lagoon, and it's surrounded on pretty much all sides by waterfront parks and civic historic areas and it's just right in the heart of the downtown area.
    13337717353_abbf0962b1_c.jpg

Jen had one of the longest bridal processions of any wedding I've been to. She arrived on the street on the far side of the lagoon and had to walk along the edge, around the fountain, then across the footbridge that had filled with thronging crowds who were just wondering why someone was blaring Coldplay out over the waterfront before finally looping back to arrive at the ceremony. She used the entire 3-minute song to make the circuitous route to the prominence at the centre, an ever decreasing spiral that the wedding party could witness her entire approach along the entire way.
    13337589685_da25762ccd_c.jpg

We're not big on formality, and if I'm going to be standing for this whole shindig, so can everyone else (except Granny). Everyone gather round so you can hear, because we're only doing this once.
    13338011354_8d65960722_c.jpg

I tricked her so well she actually thinks she's happy about this. Score!
    13337778083_ff34520b92_c.jpg

At this point, it's traditional to go off and have 'official photos' taken or something. Fuck that, I'm shelling out for the most awesome party I can imagine, so we're going to the end of the floating dock for a few minutes, snap a few shots with the harbour in the background, then come back and mingle with all our friends and family. Photos done!
    13338045964_a7d0d15d4e_c.jpg

Paper plates, wooden benches and the most elaborate picnic spread I can get top shelf caterers to prepare. Everyone tuck in, except the bride, who's still so giddy she forgets to eat until late evening when all the food has gone.
    13338085264_9cb47bc3db_c.jpg

It was a damn gorgeous day, one of the only ones that summer which had been one of the most wet and grey and miserable summers ever. So on that one brilliant day, it seemed the whole city came out to take advantage of the Sun; the waterfront was packed with people, and a constant stream of merriment and people enjoying the harbour ebbed and flowed around our little island at the centre of it all. Of course, it didn't hurt that our MC was able to hook us up with a PA & AMP speaker system normally utilised by loud venue bands and we were pumping a personally selected playlist of most excellent tunes over the entire waterfront park area.
    13337969134_ddc5371f1a_c.jpg

So we enjoyed the Sun and mingled, wandering from group to group as they spread out around the lagoon and partook of both weather, food and venue. Of course, the ceremony had also marked the point at which I became an uncle, and with it came real responsibilities. Somehow, my newly-acquired niece was unaware how to skip stones; so here I am within a few hours of becoming married, sneaking out the back of the party to instruct a 6-year old in the physics of how the rotational velocity of an object affects its interaction with the surface of a fluid. Once again, the choice of the lagoon was most beneficial.
    13338138644_02fc84b620_c.jpg

We actually didn't spend as much time together at the wedding as you might imagine; unlike most brides and grooms, somehow we each circulated independently of each other as we went from group to group, coming together occasionally only to break apart again as our attention wandered from place to place. But we did, at a couple points, manage to slip off and find some time to spend with each other, for short periods.
    13337927593_9cb04e9e41_c.jpg

Eventually, however, the Sun dropped low in the sky, and it was time to move inside. A few people wanted to say words, and seeing as some of them had come all the way from Canada we weren't about to say no. My brother passed on the opportunity to roast me, a favour I did not return when my time came at his wedding a few years later, and our parents were all very proud of us. I gave a terrible thanks as the groom that I have successfully erased from my memory, and after the ceremony we took down these coloured lanterns and have kept them to be hung as decorations in the nursery.
    13337945153_a4d525e175_c.jpg

This cake was so good. One layer was chocolate, one was vanilla orange? I can't even remember any more. But so good.
    13337916585_a91eeacb6a_c.jpg

And then we partied late into the night, until every drop of enjoyment had been squeezed out of the day and everyone had partied so hard that there was nothing left to do but go home and recover for the post-wedding BBQ at my parents the next day. There'll be plenty of leftovers!
    13337941385_ab0588e24a_c.jpg

And that, in essence, was my wedding. 10 years on Friday.

Man, was I ever really that young?

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    oh my goodness, @Fishman. that is a gorgeous day!

And jen looks so fantastic! You look fairly decent too.

So jealous of that picnic banquet! My goodness!

• Options
    Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Well hey guys!

Guess who's gotten engaged?
    It's me and @‌Hullis 860b1t3tbptz.jpg

Edit: WHOA giant photo :/

Bé Chuille on
  • Options
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Yessssssssssss

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Skyping Dan before I leave for work.

"Oh, me and orla are going to a wedding fair in two weeks"

Dan basically squees everywhere "I wanna gooooooooo"

Ahh the planning starts!

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    it's true, I DO want to go :(

• Options
    For the umpteenth time since I got home, I've gotten too excited looking at wedding stuff before bed and now I can't sleep.

We need to set a budget soon because I'm getting far too fond of one local venue in particular!

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Tell me you're getting married in Ireland.

Otherwise you are in for the most disappointed head shake.

• Options
    we're getting married in Ireland

the current plan is to offer an open invitation to any SE++ folks that wanna come, and it's a ways out so y'all can start savin' and scrimpin'

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Oh thank god. You're in Minnesota, right? That's why I got worried, because if you had somehow picked Minnesota I was gonna cry.

• Options
    Maaaan, Ireland is my current #1 place I most want to visit, but we're probably adopting within the next year which would complicate the hell out of any large vacations for the first while.

Also I hear kids are expensive,

• Options
    Minnesota weddings CAN be super nice but yeah unless you're like

up in Ely, it's not much different than most American weddings

• Options
    if you adopt a kid we'll make the kid an adorable wedding fixture as an incentive for you to come

• Options
    Protip: do not make fun of the priest or other officiator's leprechaun accent

I barely got away with teasing the priest at my wedding for being a Montreal Canadiens fan

• Options
    ask carla about my stellar irish, thank you very much

I fit right in with the locals

soft day, soft day

• Options
    But you can call meBut you can call me Grand Divina Angela Registered User regular
    I got married once. Here's photographic evidence
    2gwfb11.jpg

I'm the tall one.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Dammit!

I finally get a date set-up with a smart, funny super-cute girl and the Valentines/relationship thread shuts down!?!?

COME ON!!!!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Hullis wrote: »

soft day, soft day

Oh yeah, you'd swear he was born and reared here. His accent is flawless.

-_-

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

soft day, soft day

-_-

To be sure, to be sure.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »

soft day, soft day

-_-

To be sure, to be sure.

Fiddle-de-dee potatoes! Faith and begorrah! Or my personal favourite, "you lookin' to get yer fookin' hed kicked in?"

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Maaaan, Ireland is my current #1 place I most want to visit, but we're probably adopting within the next year which would complicate the hell out of any large vacations for the first while.

Also I hear kids are expensive,

Kids aren't expensive. They just eat up every single dollar you have.

• Options
    pimento wrote: »

soft day, soft day

-_-

To be sure, to be sure.
    "you lookin' to get yer bleedin' hed kicked in?"

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    My irish accent is flawless.

I just mumble incomprehensively and then yell, I'm from the country.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    My "Irish" accent is both flawless, accidental, and only appears when I am talking to geese who can't tell a Scottish accent from an Irish one.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    But you are Irish Fyndir.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I have ALSO been told I sound Irish by people who can't tell a Yorkshire accent to an Irish one.

• Options
    I get told I sound english.

I tell them they sound like they should shut up.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    My irish accent is flawless.

I just mumble incomprehensively and then yell, I'm from the country.

I do a terribad impression of Father Dougal from Father Ted.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

I get told I sound anything except Australian.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular

When I was in the US I was asked several times in shops if I was Australian, because the only possible English accents are the queen and cockney.

My quick reply "No, I'm gonna pay for these items".

(They didn't get it)

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I just confuse people.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Confusing people is the best.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    So

Anybody do anything fun this past weekend?

Me? Well

I got married or something

Oh my goodness

(it was, and continues to be, perfect)

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod

I'm so sorry I told you that you sounded like Tube. That was really mean of me!

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom