As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Explosion at Boston Marathon (Take care with NSFW photos and videos!)

So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
edited April 2013 in Debate and/or Discourse
Original OP as the event happened:
Just happened, talk about it here.

Finish line cam:
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013-boston-marathon-finish-line/

Live looks on CNN and MSNBC right now, no word on the cause.

Several people appear to be hurt, being treated by EMS at the scene now.

UPDATES:

http://google.org/personfinder/2013-boston-explosions/ to help find people you are worried about

617 635 4500

For people trying to locate people

1 800 494 TIPS

If you have info about the event

If you are able to donate blood, that would be very helpful.

Or donate money to the Red Cross. http://www.redcross.org/support/donating-fundraising/donations

On April 15, 2013 two bombs went off near the finish line of the Boston Marathon. Hundreds were injured and three people died. Many people suffered serious injuries and lost limbs.

The FBI later identified two suspects, Tamerlan Tsarnaev and Dzhokhar Tsarnev, brothers from Chechnya who have been living in the US. The FBI put out pictures and video of them carrying backpacks near the finish line starting April 18.

in the early morning hours of April 19, 2013, a police officer at MIT was shot and killed. The suspects left the area and were pursued by police to Watertown, MA.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/04/18/mit-police-officer-hit-gunfire-cambridge-police-dispatcher-says/4UeCClOVeLr8PHLvDa99zK/story.html

That article has a good summary. In short, the suspects were in a gun fight/pursuit with officers, and threw explosives at them. Several officers were hurt and a transit officer was shot but is in stable condition. Tamerlan Tsarnaev (black hat in FBI photos) was injured during the fight, and later pronounced dead at the hospital. He reportedly had an explosive trigger on his person. Dzhokhar (white hat) is still at large and a massive manhunt is underway in Boston for him now.

For more info your best bet right now is probably http://www.bostonglobe.com/ and listening to police scanner links that are posted in the thread.

So It Goes on

• Options
    MSNBC reporter is saying she heard two explosions and people saw a lot of smoke.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'm hearing a lot of people are down and injured.

• Options
    Boston Globe twitter says "dozens of people injured".

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I read a report 50-60 people are down / injured.

More devices have been found as well.

Tax day, in Boston - a mile or two from the harbor where the Tea Party went down. I find it hard to believe that's a coincidence, and this will be anything but homegrown nutters.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    My cousin was in town and could hear the explosions, trains are shut down but the crowds are remaining calm overall

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    from the feed they're showing now on MSNBC looks like the explosions were in bottom level of buildings

So It Goes on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

Tax day, in Boston - a mile or two from the harbor where the Tea Party went down. I find it hard to believe that's a coincidence, and this will be anything but homegrown nutters.

What makes you say that?

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    People in the area are being told not to leave their buildings.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
  • Options

do you have a source that more devices have been found?

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular

So we have confirmed reports that there are bombs and this was deliberate?

488W936.png
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Speculation can be very dangerous, but yeah ... Tax Day, Boston, large public event.

Those seem like obvious links so far. :(

Sending out good vibes.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    The only saving grace here is that a sporting event like this will have a fair few ambulances on standby at the scene. I hope the fast response will have prevented deaths.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Tach wrote: »

What makes you say that?

A desire to baselessly speculate in the vacuum of information.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
  • Options
    video of explosion as it happened on MSNBC just now, right next to the finish line was the first explosion

pretty awful

• Options
    I am hearing casualties are being reported. . .

• Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    Please don't be a glock, please don't be a glock...

Seriously though I hope they catch whomever did this quick as you can do a lot of damage, to a lot of people, and be nowhere near the scene with a functional understanding of homemade explosives. Every suspicious box, package, container, anything in the city just became a nightmare for their bombsquad.

• Options
    From the video on MSBNC there appeared to be a large group of people grouped on the sidewalk right next to the building where the first blowout was, so I wouldn't be surprised if the closest people were very badly hurt.

Please include sources if you have new info, where did you hear it? or see it?

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Detharin wrote: »

Too soon.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    CBS had a photo of the blast
    QnKIAtj.jpg

• Options

Seriously though I hope they catch whomever did this quick as you can do a lot of damage, to a lot of people, and be nowhere near the scene with a functional understanding of homemade explosives. Every suspicious box, package, container, anything in the city just became a nightmare for their bombsquad.

Please don't be a dick.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

do you have a source that more devices have been found?

www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=5134986

Letsrun forum. It's lagged now so I can't bring it back up, but it said there were reports of additional devices. After I posted it seems like someone might have been confused over a threat vs. the explosives though.

Tach wrote: »

What makes you say that?

A desire to baselessly speculate in the vacuum of information.

Yeah, it's only April 15th and Boston. Complete vacuum.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

Seriously though...

Really? Fucking really?

That's what you say right after, 'Take my wife!'

Not after people get injured or killed in a goddamn explosion.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    all of those are really zoomed-in versions of the one that popped up on twitter almost immediately, it's posted above

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    CNN TV just showed footage of the first explosion.

Which was unpleasant.

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    Well, this is bad.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I just really hope everybody's okay.

• Options
    MSNBC reporters doing a little speculation that it was a power transformer blowup, but it appears power is still on according to a reporter on the ground.

watching the MSNBC video they've shown a few times, the explosions were on either side of the finish line and happened seconds apart.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I hope no one I know was there

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I am hearing casualties are being reported. . .

I wouldn't trust anything yet. There's local video/live coverage and there could definitely be dead but we're not talking very large numbers

There are also literally dozens of ambulances and hundreds of medical personnel there already for the marathon and half the cops in the city

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular

That's my main concern as well.

We can assign blame and cause later.

488W936.png
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Nothing on Al Jazeera yet, looking to see if someone is going to claim responsibility.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Seeing lots of footage of the blast area on BBC news. It's hard to tell how much of it is blast damage and how much is damage caused by the crowd panicking after the explosion, either way, a lot of damage done.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    MSNBC reporters doing a little speculation that it was a power transformer blowup, but it appears power is still on according to a reporter on the ground.

watching the MSNBC video they've shown a few times, the explosions were on either side of the finish line and happened seconds apart.

Power is still on in back bay. I don't think its a transformer.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

unfortunately they aren't

: (

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Green Line services on T is suspended between Kenmore and Park, FYI.

MSNBC has a report that persons on the subway underground heard the explosions.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    CBS finish line live feed seems to have rewound to before the explosion

e: oh it's no longer a live feed, it's three minutes of video

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
This discussion has been closed.