As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends] : Awakening | No one suspects the butterfly

TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士Miami, FLRegistered User regular
edited May 2013 in Games and Technology
D6paZRb.png
League of Legends (popularly known as LoL) is a Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA) game created by Riot Games.

You play as a summoner that controls a champion and takes them into battle with and against other summoners and their respective champions. During games, your champion will level up, get gold for better equipment and hopefully destroy the enemy nexus. Outside of games, your summoner level will rise. This will unlock new runes to enhance champion stats, bestow mastery points for further champion customization and goodies like avatars. At max level you can then compete in ranked matches and/or judge player behavior in what is called the Tribunal.

i170k22.jpgNext Time on LoL:EZ!AQMe01H.jpg
Breaking News! : Ezreal X Lux OTP is confirmed Cannon

ez-lux-separate.jpg

Sources claim Might of Demacia concerned

r7FXe5r.jpg

In other, less important news: Ezreal discovers a dark, nameless figure scattered around the history of every nation, both standing and those lost to time.

ez-desk.jpg

The mysterious figure has been revealed to be Aatrox, the unholy butterfly the Darkin Blade!

Aatrox_screenshots.jpg

Where our story left off
The Howling Abyss
New Official ARAM map that will replace the Proving Grounds and have an official queue with matchmaking.
Wkj7pnS.jpg

Lissandra - The Ice Witch
lissandra_article.jpg

Sejuani Update
sejuani_article.jpg

Trundle Update
trundle_article.jpg

Thread Layout
OP - The Basics - General LoL Tips and Tricks
2nd - PENTAKILL! - Come see who among us has recently scored a PENTAKILL
3rd - Currently Open Contests/One-Time Events

The Basics
pe3xok6l.jpg
New Player Guide
1. Make an account: NA EU (West) EU (Nordic & East)

It is worth noting that referring new players has perks, so I would ask for a referral link in the thread rather than a vanilla account.

2. Download the client: Right here

The official Mac client is in beta - download it today!

3. Play the tutorials! New User Guide

The game can be a bit overwhelming, and I highly suggest you play the tutorials OR find someone willing to do a few vs. AI games with you.

4. Join the "Penny Arcade" Chat Channel to find helpful people and people to escape solo queue with!
Click the little double speech bubble looking thing at the bottom right of your screen. Click the + speech bubble right above it. Type in "Penny Arcade" and introduce yourself. Not everyone you see in the thread will be there, as not everyone plays on the same server. You can ask these people how to play champions, we pretty much have someone who plays each champion.

5. Play vs. People

Do it, damn you. As said above, the AI is not going to give you the legitimate LoL experience. You don't want to hit your 20s solely from bot matches. If you do use bot games, focus on practicing LoL basics such as getting the last hit on minions for that sweet sweet gold.

6. Get yer free champs.

Subscribe to Riot's Youtube and get a free Alistar skin! Includes the champion! Free Tristana if you're into the Facebook thing. Promo skins always include the champion if you never bought it.
The Dos and Don'ts of LoL
1. Don't buy champions randomly!

LoL has two currencies: Riot Points (RP), which are bought with real money, and Influence Points (IP) which are earned solely by playing games. Champions can be bought with both, but every week there will be ten free champions to play with. Play these champs instead. Get a feel for each type of champion and see which you find more fun. It's far better to do this as opposed to buying a champ randomly and ultimately being unhappy with it. Also, (it's rumored) you can get ONE refund opportunity for (I believe I read) up to 3 RP purchases. After that, it's your own fault for spending RP.

2. Don't buy Tier 2 Runes.

They are pretty much a waste of IP. Buy Tier 1 and save up for Tier 3. Or, if you're baller like Hargaad, don't even buy Tier 1. Wait to hit level 30, then buy all the Tier 3 runes you need.

3. Do queue with friends.

Playing with randoms is a crapshoot, and playing with a Taric or two can put the odds in your favor. Play complementary champs and request feedback on how you did in each game (even if you won). Likewise, you can offer advice to others you saw having trouble in a polite manner (because if you aren't polite, you're likely to get flamed).

4. Do learn the champions

When a new rotation occurs, it is wise to play a few games with each champ. Knowing what each champ is capable of will be useful even if you hate how they play and never intend on using them. For example, Karthus has a skill that does damage to every enemy champion, regardless of location! If you know this, then you can be a jerk and take Soraka.

5. Do read guides.

There are multiple ways to play a champion. This combination of skills, runes, masteries and items is called a "build" and are the general strategies for any champion. The recommended items in the game store are not always accurate, and the order you level skills can have a big impact on how the early stages of the game play out. Sites like Mobafire and Solomid offer builds for just about every champion. It's cookie-cutter, but a great foundation for new people. Once you learn the ins and outs, you can tweak a build to better serve your playstyles or as a reaction to enemy or ally players.

6. Do be polite and do report

Sometimes people will suck or do shit wrong. It's a game, so try to keep that in mind when things get a little unhinged. If you insult or yell at people, even if they DID do something wrong, you're likely going to get that person defensive and things break down. Instead of focusing on the game, you focus on hurling insults at each. Stay calm, and politely offer advice when needed. And yet, people are jerks. It happens. Simply /mute them and quietly report them after the game. Taking their bait is probably what they want you to do. Do not give them the satisfaction! Keep your cool.

7. Buy skins

Having a skin for a character is a great way to say "Hey I'm fucking awesome with this champion so get the fuck out of my way." If your team is using more skins than your enemy team, you basically have already won. If you're playing as , you've won the awesome award.
Game Stuff
1. Do not be aggressive

There will be a serious urge to want to kill enemy champs. Resist! Death is an all-around loss: your opponents get more cash and experience, you miss out on experience and your lane risks getting pushed. If you set-up a kill and fail, do not continue chasing. In many cases, you will just die to a tower or get ganked. While later on you will learn when to take risks, early in your career it's best to be less aggressive and just let the other guy get away.

2. Do not focus on KDR

Your kill-death-ratio is not the end-all of your value. It is possible to lose despite having a serious kill advantage over the enemy team! Certain champions, once getting the right items, can be unstoppable murder machines. Even if you do kill them a lot, if they reach this threshold, it's possible for a dramatic reversal to occur. It is far more important to support your team's objectives: push towers, protect your own towers from being pushed and keep your team informed of enemy activity. It is far better to have a modest KDR and win, than be the team killer and lose.

3. Do watch the minimap and your enemy

Enemy locations are important! In your low-level games you will likely have two champs tops lane, one mid and two bottom (in later level games, one from top will be off "jungling," so top will have just one champ). If a player in YOUR lane is missing, let the team know. The player might just be heading back to base to buy items, or they could be trying to jump your friend in another lane. And mention when they came back to your lane! But this doesn't mean you should rely wholly on team recon. Watch the minimap yourself for enemy locations in other lanes whenever you can. People aren't perfect, and sometimes that warning comes a bit too late. Another set of eyes is always useful.

4. Do buy wards.

Wards are items that grant you vision of an area for 180 seconds. They are, without a doubt, one of the best purchases you will make. You can plop them along the river and have advance warning of ganks. They'll grant you vision of the brush. They'll alert you of enemy attempts on big-reward neutral monsters like the dragon or baron. If you attack them in the middle of something like that, you could mob up their entire team. Or maybe you are aware of a gank attempt on you. You could alert a nearby friend, bait the ganker in and turn the tables. Buy wards. BUY. WARDS.

5. Do buy wards.

Wards are items that grant you vision of an area for 180 seconds. They are, without a doubt, one of the best purchases you will make. You can plop them along the river and have advance warning of ganks. They'll grant you vision of the brush. They'll alert you of enemy attempts on big reward neutral monsters like the dragon or baron. If you attack them in the middle of something like that, you could mob up their entire team. Or maybe you are aware of a gank attempt on you. You could alert a nearby friend, bait the ganker in and turn the tables. Buy wards. BUY. WARDS. Yes, I posted this twice. It is that important.

6. Do something.

So you just wiped the enemy team out. Hooray! But...what are you doing now? Did you just go back to your respective lanes and farm? Incorrect! You now have precious map control, and should be taking advantage of it. Gather up as a team and take out a tower. Head to the dragon and get a clean kill. Steal enemy creeps (especially their blue and red buffs). You can always check the status of both teams by pressing tab. If multiple enemies are waiting on respawn, then you need to press that advantage.

7. Don't just wait around all day when you're in a position to win.

IOX0g.jpg

8. Do buy wards.

Seriously, kids. If Hargaad can do it, so can you. I know you have 75 gold just laying around sometimes. Don't feed us with your bullshit of, "But I need to save for x item!" No! Fuck you, and your high horse. If you don't buy wards, and you die a lot, nobody on your team is going to be able to save you from a beefed up (whatever) lane. Consequences will never be the same!

9. Learn to speak ping.

All you really need to communicate effectively in this game is to be able to use the pings it provides.
Smart%20Ping_article%20banner_EN.jpg
To use these pings, hold down the Alt, Ctrl, G, or V keys while clicking to show the new ping overlay. Then, move your mouse in the direction of the ping you want to issue, and release. You can perform this action either on the terrain or the minimap for precision pinging.
It is unacceptable to blame players that aren't typing at all, or players that are not speaking in English.
Meet the Team
Like any group activity, stuff is usually broken down into roles. It's worth noting that champions don't always fit neatly in categories. A champion's role in the team may depend on what build has been chosen, and sometimes you may fill several roles depending on the group composition. When picking champions, it's a good idea to see what people are doing and fill in any holes.

1. The Carry: If your team is a car, then the carry is the engine. It's what makes the team function. The carry, when doing its job, will be able to easily destroy the whole team. But, just like an engine is useless without any other parts of your car, the carry relies on its team to get the gold necessary to buy the items needed to kill swathes of enemies. Early on, carries tend to be more vulnerable and weaker than other champs. LOTS of people pick carry in random, because it's the star character that generally gets all the kills. One of the reasons Caitlyn is so great is that she can carry a team since her AS ratios are amazing and she can easily carry and dominate fools.

2. The Tank: Following the car metaphor, the tank is your steering. It'll guide the team into battle, and in many cases will be the one starting the fights. Tanks are there to absorb damage and lock down the most dangerous champions on the enemy team so you can position yourselves to win the fight. Some tanks do this with CC, whereas other tanks have some damage and will soften up the enemy team instead. Tanks still tend to need the rest of their team to back them up. Rammus is probably the most boss at doing all of this, and with zazz.

3. The Support: I guess support are your tires or something? Maybe the AC. Either, support help the team out with buffs and generally shields or healing. Healers tend to assist the carry by allowing the carry to stay in the lane longer through said healing or shields. Unlike, well, just about everyone else, Support don't rely so much on gear and thus will purposefully AVOID getting last hits so that their lane partner can farm gold faster. Because of their reduced need of gold, support should also be buying and placing wards when needed. It's worth noting that EVERYONE should generally buy wards, but as a support you can afford to take the financial hit. FEW people pick support in random due to how hard it is to influence games. You have to be very proactive to make up for bad teammates as a carry. Veigar commonly supports the enemy team to their graves.

4. The Jungler: Jungling is a more advanced concept, and you won't see it until higher summoner levels. This is due to runes and masteries allowing for more efficient jungling. It is still possible on a few champs, even at Summoner Level 1, but very uncommon. As the name implies, the jungler sits in the jungle and kills neutral creeps. This benefits your team by creating a second solo lane (top lane), resulting in more experience and gold for your team as a whole. Once the jungler hits a certain gear/level point, they look for opportunities to gank enemies. This is generally done via strong CC abilities, such as Warwick's ultimate or Nunu's slow coupled with his speed buff. Skills such as these will enable the jungler's teammate in that lane to easily assist with the kill. When not ganking, the jungler will return to the jungle regularly to keep up in terms of gold and experience. Due to their roaming, the jungler has plenty of opportunities to place wards for its teammates.

This is a very simple guide! There are other roles in teams, but this is a rough outline of the basics. Roles can easily overlap, and a champion can fill more than one role! Experiment and see what works and what doesn't.
Useful LoL related websites
Surrender@20 - For all the latest LoL news and a sneak peak at any upcoming content on the Public Beta Environment.
http://www.solomid.net/ - A more advanced and polished version of Mobafire. Solomid offers intricate guides on champs that've been tried and tested by the community. Best for more advanced players of lvl 20+
http://www.lolking.net/ - A site for looking at skins as their splash art can be different from what they look like in game. Its also good for looking up summoners.
http://www.leagueoflegends.com - The standard LoL website! Info on the game can be found here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qggKB98It0Q - The basics of laning and last hitting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kxGQ3gWdrM - Shurelya's guide on zoning!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVtmV0FzW_0 SivHDs guide to never raging again.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsVUL5xGFvg2vO787daxpJFAAcxpr5vE8 Saintvicious Jungle guides.
List of helpful LoL terminology.

Stuff You Should Know
- Yes, a promo skin will unlock that champion for free.
- Map vision wins games - BUY WARDS
- It is a team wide effort, everyone buys wards.
- When in doubt, take Exhaust/Flash

For emergency use only
PvZwJrA.png
Brought to you by Infidel.
Instructions: replace the "dread%20pirate%20arbuthnot" portion of the url with the name of the intended target.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
Talith on

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    PENTAKILL!

Post your pentas in the thread to get them added! Message the OP if he is blind or lazy!

Example of a pentakill:
    QsXHP.jpg

This post is now going to be saved for the more recent pentakills. In the interest of giving more attention to the recent pentas, I took the liberty of removing the old ones and putting them into an album. All the pentakills until 4/15/13 are here.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Current Contests

Sorry baby, but there aren't any at the moment. Check in next time and we might have something nice for you.

f5fc74M.jpg?1

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    h3h3h3h3

obF2Wuw.png
  • ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    New thread annnnnnnd NA down!

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Gimme new troll dammit.

OrokosPA.png
  • SampsenSampsen Aggressive Berserker Registered User regular
    Very nice OP.

Sampsen_na_104_5_logo.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    also can confirm youmuus sword of occult gunblade spirit of lizard last whisper draven superior choice for ranked victory

obF2Wuw.png
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Did the servers crash? I can't seem to get in.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I had just finished a bot game (trying to nail down Teemo mechanics) and as it ended it said connect to riot servers timed out. I guess that means no xp or ip today.

I think I've got Teemo figured out. Lane phase: toxic shot attack every creep once. Then cycle through again if they're still alive. Poke at any champion in range in the same manner. Repeat till 6. Where my understanding seems weaker, is what do I do with my mushrooms. Are they scouting tools or should I set them in lanes for easier creep clearing? I have gotten pretty good at running away and dropping them in front of me as I pass.

One thing I'm happiest about with Teemo is a deeper understanding of last hitting. I've started seeing when I need to wind up the attack animation in order to bet my creeps or other laner to the kill.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
    I hope that they forgive my last game. I could get no business done as my support Heimerdinger absolutely refused to stay near our turrets.

Dude would just run straight into Lux's snares while pushing the lane with his turrets. He'd get snared. Ez would come in for the kill. Repeat all lane. The whole team was polite to the dude and just asked multiple times that he stay near the tower but nope. He had other plans.

steam_sig.png
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I guess I should go to bed for the night since all I'm getting on TT is fucking Teemo Yorick Singed and Tryndamere.

• RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    I tried on hit kayle and it went ok

how do you go ap/as? Nashors... idk what else

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
    Raslin wrote: »

Malady, rageblade

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Squeeze in a Liandry's, somewhere.

• JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Nashor's Liandry's is AP Kayle's core kit, complementary items are: Sorc/Zerker boots, Deathcap, Lichbane, Void Staff, Zhonyas, Zephyr, Morellonomicon, Rageblade

Deathcap Lichbane Void Staff for ultimate murder burst
    Zhonyas if you want to ult someone else and still have a "fuck you"
    Zephyr if they have a lot of CC
    Morellonomicon if you need grievous wounds on someone like yi, mundo, zac

JAEF on
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Penumbra wrote: »
    I had just finished a bot game (trying to nail down Teemo mechanics) and as it ended it said connect to riot servers timed out. I guess that means no xp or ip today.

I think I've got Teemo figured out. Lane phase: toxic shot attack every creep once. Then cycle through again if they're still alive. Poke at any champion in range in the same manner. Repeat till 6. Where my understanding seems weaker, is what do I do with my mushrooms. Are they scouting tools or should I set them in lanes for easier creep clearing? I have gotten pretty good at running away and dropping them in front of me as I pass.

One thing I'm happiest about with Teemo is a deeper understanding of last hitting. I've started seeing when I need to wind up the attack animation in order to bet my creeps or other laner to the kill.

While laning, shroom inside the bushes and along the edge of bushes. Throw down random shrooms in the lane. Shroom the river bush and river opening. Shroom the tri bush. No one can sneak up on you and if they hit a shroom you will escape without worry because they will be slowed.

After laning is done you need to learn how the game auto paths champions and place shrooms directly in those paths. Basically you want to figure out how they will move around corners, through bushes, etc. Learn this as Teemo and you become a nightmare.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Raslin wrote: »

Nashor's is good, but not required. Deathcap, Hourglass, Lichbane, Liandry's, Abyssal's, Void Staff, and you always want Sorcs for boots.

edited April 2013
    Mushroom top and never stop pushing it. Force people to pay attention to you. Shove all the way to their inhib and mushroom up paths to you to see when people are coming. This frees up your team to take objectives. You can teamfight but you don't really want to. If the enemy sends multiple people at you, back off and hope your team is using that time wisely. If the enemy only sends one, kill 'em (or duel them and don't die, take up their time.) If the enemy is forcing an engage on your four other teammates shove the lane with shrooms as hard as you can and take down towers/inhibs.

If you're behind and can't afford to shove your lane, shroom objectives and sneak around near your teammates or hide in the enemy jungle to create 2v1 or 3v2 opportunities.

Any time someone with a gapcloser or melee attack tries to close you, drop a mushroom immediately at your feet and back off.

http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=49074-feel-the-teemo-teemo-build-guide

Bruiser Teemo is a monster. AP burst Teemo is counterable by oracles and repeated forced engages, not to mention being super easy to burst down.

JAEF on
    JAEF wrote: »
    Nashor's Liandry's is AP Kayle's core kit, complementary items are: Sorc/Zerker boots, Deathcap, Lichbane, Void Staff, Zhonyas, Zephyr, Morellonomicon, Rageblade

I've been watching the korean tournies, and out of like eight games I have yet to see them go NT+LT. Weirdest build I saw was Zhonya's and Abyssal Kayle forcing a 25 minute nexus.

edited April 2013
    Carnarvon wrote: »

I've been watching the korean tournies, and out of like eight games I have yet to see them go NT+LT. Weirdest build I saw was Zhonya's and Abyssal Kayle forcing a 25 minute nexus.
    Are they doing mid or support? Zhonya's/Abyssals Kayle is deceptively tanky, I can definitely see that build working if the enemy counterpicked mid with something like Diana. What were the matchups and what did they build? NT+LT is standard NA/EU

The 20% CDR of Nashor's + 20% CDR from blue makes your Righteous Fury cooldown shorter than its duration, allowing you permanent range. The synergy of attack speed and AP with Righteous Fury (+40% AP as splash damage EACH ATTACK) means you're getting tons of sustained damage.

JAEF on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Penumbra wrote: »

While laning, shroom inside the bushes and along the edge of bushes. Throw down random shrooms in the lane. Shroom the river bush and river opening. Shroom the tri bush. No one can sneak up on you and if they hit a shroom you will escape without worry because they will be slowed.

In short:

Is it shroomed?

>YES; Shroom it more.
    >NO; SHROOM IT.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Hello 8 minute queue.

steam_sig.png
  • PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Mushroom top and never stop pushing it. Force people to pay attention to you. Shove all the way to their inhib and mushroom up paths to you to see when people are coming. This frees up your team to take objectives. You can teamfight but you don't really want to. If the enemy sends multiple people at you, back off and hope your team is using that time wisely. If the enemy only sends one, kill 'em (or duel them and don't die, take up their time.) If the enemy is forcing an engage on your four other teammates shove the lane with shrooms as hard as you can and take down towers/inhibs.

If you're behind and can't afford to shove your lane, shroom objectives and sneak around near your teammates or hide in the enemy jungle to create 2v1 or 3v2 opportunities.

Any time someone with a gapcloser or melee attack tries to close you, drop a mushroom immediately at your feet and back off.

http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=49074-feel-the-teemo-teemo-build-guide

Bruiser Teemo is a monster. AP burst Teemo is counterable by oracles and repeated forced engages, not to mention being super easy to burst down.

That's the guide I've been using to learn Teemo with. It seems mostly straight forward andmfits my play style from other games. I've always been a good kilter and know when to turn tail and run, I just wasn't sure about mushrooming.

I guess I save blinding shot for when someone gets closer than I'd like or use it for wave clearing.

Thanks again for all the help you guys. I am definitely having more fun this go round than I did previously and may just be in it for the long haul.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
    Carnarvon wrote: »

Are they doing mid or support? Zhonya's/Abyssals Kayle is deceptively tanky, I can definitely see that build working if the enemy counterpicked mid with something like Diana. What were the matchups and what did they build? NT+LT is standard NA/EU

The 20% CDR of Nashor's + 20% CDR from blue makes your Righteous Fury cooldown shorter than its duration, allowing you permanent range. The synergy of attack speed and AP with Righteous Fury (+40% AP as splash damage EACH ATTACK) means you're getting tons of sustained damage.

I'm not counting the support games (random aura items and sightstone), but that game was against a TF I think? That build makes sense in that matchup, I think.

Almost every game was Nashor's, Sorc's, and then either DCap+Voidstaff or Abyssal/Zhonya's into DCap.

edited April 2013
    Well dropping the Liandry's makes sense, it's mostly great for the pen, health and dealing with enemy health stackers. It makes the Q hit like an absolute truck, but Kayle's big weakness is she's made of paper. Similar to TF (it's why health/level yellows are common on him) but not as safe in teamfights. For teams with a lot of threats (pretty sure that's more common in Asia) it makes sense to build a more defensive Kayle that doesn't blow up immediately during a fight. The DCap/Voidstaff is much stronger against resist stacking or low health targets.

JAEF on
    Just got the blue ribbon/crest/badge.

Collected them all. What do I win.

steam_sig.png
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular

I'm continuing rotating through champs trying to find something where I can get a win from AP mid. I know I suck at bot lane, but I can't always ensure I'll play top. I've been wondering whether the thing I like about Singed isn't the tankiness but the poison, so I've played a couple of bot games to try and figure out Teemo. I've been stacking AP which makes big DoTs with the Q, and it seems to be the right thing to do. It's eats enough HP off the top that the harass looks horrific.

I don't know why you'd make Teemo tanky; isn't that just turning him into some frustrating decoy for people to chase? Does he do enough poison ticks if he's that tanky?

Once I get Teemo down, next up is Cass.

• MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    tFkKG.jpg

I had a very long and stressful work day. After browsing r/funny with zero cheer up. This photo here legitimately made me burst into laughter.

Context for those who don't get it: that is chauster CLG's jungler and shotcaller. His ego barely fits on earth.

BONUS POST - NSFW language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw6E1Eb1sjE

Miniwolf on
    League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
    Lewisham wrote: »

I'm continuing rotating through champs trying to find something where I can get a win from AP mid. I know I suck at bot lane, but I can't always ensure I'll play top. I've been wondering whether the thing I like about Singed isn't the tankiness but the poison, so I've played a couple of bot games to try and figure out Teemo. I've been stacking AP which makes big DoTs with the Q, and it seems to be the right thing to do. It's eats enough HP off the top that the harass looks horrific.

I don't know why you'd make Teemo tanky; isn't that just turning him into some frustrating decoy for people to chase? Does he do enough poison ticks if he's that tanky?

You go bruiser with him because he is stupid easy to murder other wise. AP Teemo is also great if you are playing against people who are kind of dumb. Usually it is fairly useless from my experience.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    You go bruiser with him because he is stupid easy to murder other wise. AP Teemo is also great if you are playing against people who are kind of dumb. Usually it is fairly useless from my experience.

Are you super screwing things up if you take bruiser Teemo mid?

I'd say not really. Just rune appropriately. Take MR and such. Though I guess someone better suited to mid could take mid over Teemo. The same can be said for top. So yea, doesn't really matter. You should be able to push/kill pretty well since mid champs tend to have less health than champs at top.

• chocolovechocolove Registered User regular
    Anyone know if Quinn can get auto'ed while she's flying in with her E? I honestly haven't noticed in games i've played with her but I've been thinking about whether the combo is better with q > e or E into Q. Anyone wanna test with me? :P

AP Teemo does ridiculous deeps and I don't care what anyone says.
    chocolove wrote: »
    Anyone know if Quinn can get auto'ed while she's flying in with her E? I honestly haven't noticed in games i've played with her
    Yes, it's just a dash, although I guess it would be harder to click on her.
    Miniwolf wrote: »
    I had a very long and stressful work day. After browsing r/funny with zero cheer up.
    Well there's your problem.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    The short stun they added to it at least means you can avoid getting Voli-ooped when you go in to kick him in the face, which is always a plus.

If they keep tweaking her she could become a pretty legit top laner. I mean it's already doable, but the small tweaks are definitely improving the QoL for top lane.

Bot lane still seems like a lost cause though.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2013
    Well in my continuous quest to make it to silver I started taking a look at W/L by champion.

AND I FINALLY FIGURED OUT WHY I'M STUCK IN BRONZE

Lux: 24/15
    Leona: 22/15
    Varus: 9/17
    Fiora: 7/7
    Ezreal: 3/10
    Teemo: 9/3
    Fiddlesticks: 5/4
    Nami: 4/4
    Ashe: 2/6
    Katarina: 4/3

Those are my ten most played champs and it turns out i'm just a bad adc and I need to not pick it. That is why I am still bronze. I do not know how I thought I could ADC successfully but clearly I am missing something when I ADC that will never allow me to carry myself out of bronze tier. So yes. I won't be going ADC for a while in ranked and I expect that I should see some pretty interesting results. I do not know why it took me so long to look at it from this perspective. I probably didn't want to admit it because two of my quadra kills were with Varus.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Well in my continuous quest to make it to silver I started taking a look at W/L by champion.

Those are my ten most played champs and it turns out i'm just a bad adc and I need to not pick it. That is why I am still bronze. I do not know how I thought I could ADC successfully but clearly I am missing something when I ADC that will never allow me to carry myself out of bronze tier. So yes. I won't be going ADC for a while in ranked and I expect that I should see some pretty interesting results. I do not know why it took me so long to look at it from this perspective. I probably didn't want to admit it because two of my quadra kills were with Varus.

Or you need to pick easier ADC like MF, Cait or Trist.

Varus takes good positioning, same with Ez and decent skillshots besides. Ashe just isnt that great comparatively.

MF is straight easymode.

steam_sig.png
  • chocolovechocolove Registered User regular
    The short stun they added to it at least means you can avoid getting Voli-ooped when you go in to kick him in the face, which is always a plus.

If they keep tweaking her she could become a pretty legit top laner. I mean it's already doable, but the small tweaks are definitely improving the QoL for top lane.

Bot lane still seems like a lost cause though.

Yeah, I took Quinn top for the first time and it just feels way better than bot. I played against a Darius and was punishing him pretty hard.

edited April 2013

Or you need to pick easier ADC like MF, Cait or Trist.

Varus takes good positioning, same with Ez and decent skillshots besides. Ashe just isnt that great comparatively.

MF is straight easymode.

Yeah I just bought Cait over the weekend. I'm 3/1 with her.

Just wow. Looking at those numbers it's all pretty clear what was going on. No experience with MF really. Maybe I'll pick her up and play some normals.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png

Well, AP feels nice because you do a lot of burst. Against bad players you can squish them easily. There are multiple issues, however. You have zero sustain. Sure maybe you picked up a Doran's early for harass but it's impossible for you to stay in lane or in a fight if you're being poked down. So it's very difficult to splitpush for a serious amount of time. This means you're taking one of two roles: Roam assassin or teamfight burst. Midgame Teemo's AP roam assassin role is at its strongest. People probably haven't picked up much health or MR and your shrooms absolutely decimate health pools. A good line of shrooms can end a fight before it starts or get you free jungle kills.

The bad thing is that teamfight burst is something a lot of other champions do better and safer (due to Teemo's range.) AP Teemo in a teamfight is usually a dead Teemo. As soon as your burst isn't enough to take someone out or injure them enough to make them back off, you're totally useless. Mushroom bait still works but you're counting on people to fight around your mushrooms and not have vision. Pink wards (more so than oracles, because that requires walking into bushes) hard counter AP Teemo. In the end, if you haven't leveraged AP Teemo's midgame strengths you're in for a loss as people tank up and can afford more vision and their assassins just walk up and one-shot you.

Bruiser Teemo can be built into a decent hybrid if your team has too much AD but sports sustain. Your ability to push a lane forever forces people to come to you, which allows you to prepare mushrooms accordingly (rather than having to guess where a teamfight is going to happen or by having enough mana, CDR and time to shroom the whole map while the enemy team masturbates in their base *coughbronzecough*.)

Yes, bruiser Teemo is a frustrating decoy. But a frustrating murderous decoy that demands attention. His role actually becomes very similar to Singed. Your poison still does plenty of damage but your entire kit is more usable rather than banking on damage only from Q and R. Q can properly be used in its utility role to blind when necessary rather than being shit out at any opportunity because it's the only way you deal damage.

Yes, 100%. You lose all of bruiser Teemo's strengths and give up the benefit of a proper mid. Teemo can't push mid properly because of the nature of the lane, you can be approached by so many paths from either side that are so frequently traversed you lose the shroom advantage. When you're top, you're forcing people to come a loooong way through area they barely ever want to have vision of to deal with you. Mid, you're that much closer to bot roaming into you, the support can ward for the mid to help deal with you and you have a constant threat of a jungler from many angles. Most mids also have very strong waveclear in the current meta and the short lane makes creep buildup rare which in turn makes tower pushing difficult.

A proper mid also wants to be able, once their lane is pushed or the enemy mid is dead, to put pressure on other lanes and snowball the map for their team. This requires a combination of mobility and burst damage Teemo lacks (AP Teemo has burst, which is why you usually see him mid.) Someone like Zed or Kha or Lux have ways to move around the jungle or lock down enemies that make ganking for other lanes easy. Teemo has a long setup time (mushrooms) or has to run at people to do damage, not a very scary gank.

I've typed way too much. Again. But seriously please don't play bruiser Teemo mid.

This discussion has been closed.