As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Ultimate Marvel] thread

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Yeah, they don't seem to like organics much.

Also the reason they stayed away from Earth is Earth managed to fuck them up with a giant laser (that was actually a portal to a dimension undergoing a big bang, IIRC. I could be completely off on that. A Reed Richards invention he named "the Ultimate Nullifier"). It was easy to just leave and go elsewhere than to keep getting hit by that.

I guess they're going to use that weapon again. Quite frankly I'm surprised it was never brought up after the original trilogy.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Also the reason they stayed away from Earth is Earth managed to fuck them up with a giant laser (that was actually a portal to a dimension undergoing a big bang, IIRC. I could be completely off on that. A Reed Richards invention he named "the Ultimate Nullifier"). It was easy to just leave and go elsewhere than to keep getting hit by that.

Yeah. Reed takes his dimension portal and tunes it to a universe that hasn't banged yet and sets it off with a nuke. It destroyed like 10% of the Swarm and so it buggered off for an easier meal.

Its actually a really great retroactive step towards Reeds supervillainness. Reed is angry at having the death of an entire universe on his conscience and blames Nick Fury and them's incompetence for being put in that position.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Maybe Galactus just needs a Snickers?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    c'mon CD, and you call yourself a transformers fan

• Options
    I admit it, I'm a fairly casual Transformers fan

I mean, I've never even bought a Transformers comic!

• Options
    harrumph.

• Options
    I'm more of a Beast Era guy, you know? I miss Optimus Primal and T-Rex Megatron and Tarantulas.

• Options
    Gorilla Optimus had a wrist mounted shotgun, 12 year old me thought that was so cool

• Options
    guys this is hardly the thread

it's a silly thread title reference related to the event let's move on

• Options
    Too late, there is only Beast Wars now, nothing else.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    there is more to life than robots

still don't like evil reed richards

i remember him appearing in ultimates 2 where he was told he had potential and :C

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    there is more to life than robots

still don't like evil reed richards

i remember him appearing in ultimates 2 where he was told he had potential and :C

I totally get that. BUt the really iffy Ultimate FF series makes him being anything but a supervillain seem ridiculous. And he did just want to make the world a better place.

WHich by the way I haven't read all of the new Ultimates and I'll hold my full opinion until then but with last issue and the MOTW scans I feels like this guy is just terrible at writing a lot of these characters.

Grim and Hulk especially but it feels like we've gotten to the point where I can say for certain that their chance to have Cap evolve after what happened to Peter was totally squandered. He's right back to being where he was during the original trade.

Man I wish Hickman could have kept writing this and Avengers.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I'll admit I haven't read a lot of the Ultimates line, including the actual Ultimate FF. More's the pity, then, that the universe on the whole's been pretty inconsistent.

Scrapping the non USM titles would make sense to me, honestly.

Remember when Ultimate was just going to be a catchall for a fresh, modern start and they werent going to share a universe? I kinda wish that could've stayed the same.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    I'll admit I haven't read a lot of the Ultimates line, including the actual Ultimate FF. More's the pity, then, that the universe on the whole's been pretty inconsistent.

Remember when Ultimate was just going to be a catchall for a fresh, modern start and they werent going to share a universe? I kinda wish that could've stayed the same.

Basically Reed is depicted as similar to Peter in that he is a bright talented kid that could go far one day but almost completely accidentally the Ultimate FF run(and then Galactus) features him being pushed around and forced to compromised his morals. When the world is out of options and there is nothing they can do they turn to him. He builds weapons of mass destruction, and is bullied into all sorts of terrible things, not even to mention the amount of undeserved blame that got heaped on his head.

Basically where Peter was sheltered from the worst and ultimately able to rise above it Reed is sacrificed to stave it off.

His first plan as I recall was just to destroy any way for people to get to the Negative ZOne, and kill the people he felt was hurting the world with their shoot first, then torture it then shoot it some more attitude(Fury).

And his second plan was trying to create a better world in his twisted bitter way.

Until they kicked him out.

They had evolved past the point of anger and revenge.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    well, that's certainly a valid and understandable road to take the character down then if that was what happened to him. won't ever be a preference but with all that, yeesh.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Ultimate Cloak and Dagger are pretty cool. Really interested in what's going on with them and the group behind them.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

Basically Reed is depicted as similar to Peter in that he is a bright talented kid that could go far one day but almost completely accidentally the Ultimate FF run(and then Galactus) features him being pushed around and forced to compromised his morals. When the world is out of options and there is nothing they can do they turn to him. He builds weapons of mass destruction, and is bullied into all sorts of terrible things, not even to mention the amount of undeserved blame that got heaped on his head.

Basically where Peter was sheltered from the worst and ultimately able to rise above it Reed is sacrificed to stave it off.

His first plan as I recall was just to destroy any way for people to get to the Negative ZOne, and kill the people he felt was hurting the world with their shoot first, then torture it then shoot it some more attitude(Fury).

And his second plan was trying to create a better world in his twisted bitter way.

Kinda ignoring thier first act where they, you know.

Kill Asgard.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I like Ultimate Reed being a villain, because it makes 616 Reed that much more special

The idea that out of all the realities, 616 Reed is the only truly good one is great. It's a twist on the whole "evil alternate-reality mirror of the protagonist" cliche, by making him the good alternate reality mirror of all of the evil/ruthless Reeds. It makes him the best and brightest mind of all realities, rather than just one.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

I guess they're going to use that weapon again. Quite frankly I'm surprised it was never brought up after the original trilogy.

If they fire it at 616 Galactus, only to have the smoke clear and him saying "Not enough gun.", they'll get all my money.
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    I like Ultimate Reed being a villain, because it makes 616 Reed that much more special

The idea that out of all the realities, 616 Reed is the only truly good one is great. It's a twist on the whole "evil alternate-reality mirror of the protagonist" cliche, by making him the good alternate reality mirror of all of the evil/ruthless Reeds. It makes him the best and brightest mind of all realities, rather than just one.

I always wanted 616 Reed to point out to the other Reeds who told him he could do more good by focusing on science and forgetting his family that his son is probably the most powerful person on Earth and his daughter probably the smartest, ensuring that both of them grow up to be good people would do more good than he ever could by himself.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options

Kinda ignoring thier first act where they, you know.

Kill Asgard.

No, that was plan two.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

I still say they should reboot the Ultimate universe every 10 years or so, and PLAN to have it rebooted to it can go out with a bang.

• Options
    Ultimate Reed is also got blamed for nearly destroying the Supreme Universe (When it wound up being Fury's fault) and his first response to the Ultimatum Wave was to go "I'll get you, Namor!" Even after Proffessor X telepathically told all the heroes it was Magneto's fault.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    The problem with scheduled Ultimate reboots is that Ultimate Spider-Man just keeps getting better as it builds on what came before

it'd be silly to have to start over each time

and DC has shown that partial reboots are messy bullshit

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Yeah, I prefer relaunches to reboots

Ultimate NOW

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    They tried that already. It worked for a while on me but eventually I just dropped everything except USM.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, I was about to say, they've relaunched at least twice now and neither time really stuck. The whole point of the Ultimate universe was to provide a fresh take on the mythos without dumping a ton of continuity on things, and after 13 years, there's quite a bit of continuity. And quite a bit of it sucks.

To me, the Ultimate Universe shouldn't be run as the "lite" version of the 616 universe; ever present, and ever growing; it should be like a giant-ass elseworlds tale with a definite end. An attempt to tell the story of these characters without getting it's head up it's ass about continuity. Hell, don't even call it the Ultimate Universe (though I can't, for the life of me, think of a good alternate name). The Ultimate Universe was just the first iteration of the idea (Well... third I guess, with 2099 and MC2 coming before.)

As for the quality Ultimate Spider-Man, eh, I guess you got me there. Though could you imagine if we got a Ultimate 2 universe that STARTED with the death of Peter Parker and the arrival of Miles Morales? It'd be crazy how that would set the tone of sacrifice and hope for the entire line.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Y'all are crazy, Ultimate X-Men under Brian Wood is one of the best X-Men stories in the past decade or two, and Spider-Man is still such a fun book. Ultimates was def the weak point with Humphries, but seems to be really good again (so far) under Fiakov.

I think one of the strong points of the Ultimate verse currently is the fact that there is only three books, you only need to follow one book to get 99% of the Ultimates(Avengers) happenings, etc.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    I never thought of Ultimate as "616-Lite"

to me it's the universe where writers can do stories with actual consequences that would never work in the status-quo dominated main universe

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Maybe they could put the entire Ultimate universe in one book per month like DC does with Earth-2? But that would mean it would have to be about Miles and wouldn't leave too much room for any other character.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    how many ultimates books are there already, 3?

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    The problem with the Ultimate Universe (aside from Ultimate Spider-Man) is that it's just constantly trying to one-up itself. Its basically been an "event" since Ultimatum.

Spider-Man and X-Men (since Wood took over) are the only books actually trying to build a world and characters. Ultimates and any mini-series are like disaster movies.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    The problem with the Ultimate Universe (aside from Ultimate Spider-Man) is that it's just constantly trying to one-up itself. Its basically been an "event" since Ultimatum.

Spider-Man and X-Men (since Wood took over) are the only books actually trying to build a world and characters. Ultimates and any mini-series are like disaster movies.

Iron Man and Wolverine miniseries didnt feel like events and were great character pieces.
    Also, I think Ultimates might calm down somewhat after Fiakov's initial arcs

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    By 616-lite, I was referring to the early stuff before everything got fucked with Ultimatum. Every series seemed to get caught in the trap of rehashing 616 storylines. Some fared better than others of course.

• Options
    I'm an issue behind in UXM but I just wanted to say I'm happy to find that my feelings about Psylock wern't misplaced.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Bring Miles and his supporting cast into the main MU and burn the rest of the Ultimate line to the ground. Don't even explain how it happened, just give it the old Silver Age Superman treatment and be done with it.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Bring Miles and his supporting cast into the main MU and burn the rest of the Ultimate line to the ground. Don't even explain how it happened, just give it the old Silver Age Superman treatment and be done with it.

Having failed to stop Galactus, the Ultimates come up with a plan to evacuate and save as many people as they can. Tony's managed to replicate Mysterio's dimensional gateway technology from Spider-Men, and they're sending as many people as they can through to 616-Earth. Still feeling responsible/guilty for Peter Parker's death, Captain America makes sure that Miles' family and friends are among those evacuated, and while Miles is determined to stay and help, Cap forces him through the portal at the last second.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013

Mmnnno... I really like X-Men so far. The whole using mutant powers to build a Utopia in interesting ways is really fun to read, I want them to go on for longer. I could take or leave the rest of the Ultimate universe, really.

Thoughts re.: Ultimate Reed and the current storyline
    The last time Reed was a real dick before his final descent into villainy was when he was building the Cosmic Cube. Reason for dicketry?

Thanos. A piece of his conciousness had insinuated itself into Reed's psyche. And now Reed's assembling the Infinity Gauntlet.

Maaaybe Thanos managed to preserve a bit of himself inside Reed before he was nuked by the Cosmic Cube? Maybe he's been hanging out all this time waiting for Reed to reach a point where he can create another cube, or acquire something with comparable power?

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Why isn't the thread title "I hunger for Hunger"

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So the October solicits came out. Hunger ends and leads to another thing called CATACLYSM.

Spider-Man and X-Men both end their arcs, there is no solicit info for Ultimates.

Looks like the Ultimate U being blown the fuck up/rebooted is happening.

CYpGAPn.png