As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Evil Within] Bethesda's new game from RE creator Shinji Mikami (AKA Project Zwei)

DrxLecterDrxLecter Registered User regular
Bethesda officially announced this today. Looks very survival horror, you can certainly tell the RE influence behind some of the screens. With Dead Space turning in an action horror game this looks very welcome. For some reason they released a live action trailer instead of gameplay, trailer and screens below:

Trailer:
http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/04/19/the-evil-within-debut-trailer-1080p

ew1.jpg

ew2.jpg

ew3.jpg

ew4.jpg

ew5.jpg

ew6.jpg

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Ohhh...creepy looking.

Color me interested.

• Options
    DrxLecterDrxLecter Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Ohhh...creepy looking.

Color me interested.

Ya, I think the lighting of the screens has me the most impressed. That first one looks like there might be some stealth ability, which would work perfectly in a game like this.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Man, Shinji Mikami REALLY likes over the shoulder shooting.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Is this, uh

Is this that project that's going to be his last work as a director?

'Cause, I mean, I'm super excited pretty much anytime he does anything, but that would still make me sad

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yep. Said it will be the last game he directs.

Said he wants younger developers to start taking over at this.

Kind of the same way Kojima has been talking lately.

• Options
    herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    I will be all over this.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular

They're going to fight to the death, aren't they. That's how it ends.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Shinji Mikami says a lot of things.

Last time I checked, his head is still attached to his body.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    I am so happy at this news. Survival horror is my favorite genre and it has been very slim pickings for a whole generation.

• Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    That has to be the first time in a long time I've seen a game launch with a live action trailer.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Considering how pretty amazingly good Dishonored was and how RE1/RE2 are the only Resident Evil games I actually like, hell yes to this. Dead Space 3 was disappointing and lazy as hell, so there's pretty much no action-horror franchise at all right now that I remotely care about.

If Bethesda makes this as play and look as good as Dishonored and Mikami makes it as tense and atmospheric as RE1, yeah, that would put a biiiig grin on my face.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Bethesda is starting to become a big company. It is nice to see.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Considering how pretty amazingly good Dishonored was and how RE1/RE2 are the only Resident Evil games I actually like, hell yes to this. Dead Space 3 was disappointing and lazy as hell, so there's pretty much no action-horror franchise at all right now that I remotely care about.

If Bethesda makes this as play and look as good as Dishonored and Mikami makes it as tense and atmospheric as RE1, yeah, that would put a biiiig grin on my face.

This post is really weird to me.

The screenshots look more like RE4 than anything else. A horror'd up RE4, but still.

And what does Dishonored have to do with it?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

This post is really weird to me.

The screenshots look more like RE4 than anything else. A horror'd up RE4, but still.

And what does Dishonored have to do with it?

Right, Bethesda only published Dishonored, nevermind on that score.

Yeah, I know it's wierd to like RE1/RE2, not like the newer ones at all, then also like DS1/DS2, but that's because the RE series went off in a direction I hated for it and the DS games started in a place I thought was great. But like Dead Space 3, RE4 and beyond were basically zero horror, pure action, which I don't like at all when the series is supposed to be/was based around suspense-horror elements.

So if this has a strong suspense/horror vibe like RE1 and DS1, but with gameplay more like the latter, yeah, that would make me plenty happy. Then I get good suspense with good gameplay, and who can object to that?

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Ninja, Resident Evil 1 and 2 were the best. Don't let anyone tell you any differently.

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Looks good! And because it has the name Shinji Mikami attached to it, I sort of have to check it out.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I didn't say anything about RE1/2. Kudos for liking them, I guess. It's just, that's not what comes to mind when I see the over-the-shoulder view pioneered by RE4.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    You know...looking at this game...it is surprising to me that stealth has been popular since it was introduced by MGS in the late 90s.

But very few horror games actually take advantage of it. Stealth is like the perfect fit for a horror game.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    You know...looking at this game...it is surprising to me that stealth has been popular since it was introduced by MGS in the late 90s.

But very few horror games actually take advantage of it. Stealth is like the perfect fit for a horror game.

Well, there were those Siren games. Other than that though, yeah. Maybe coming up with complementary mechanics is too hard for people so they just go the easy way.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Amnesia is basically all stealth. It's not a terribly complex stealth system, but it worked perfectly for the game. Actually, I think for horror games it's best for the rules to remain pretty simple, so players can focus on shitting themselves rather than manipulating game mechanics.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    I didn't say anything about RE1/2. Kudos for liking them, I guess. It's just, that's not what comes to mind when I see the over-the-shoulder view pioneered by RE4.

Oh, I wasn't thinking you were taking a dig at me or anything. What I was talking about from RE1/RE2 was the atmosphere, not the controls. And RE4 may have pioneered that system, but the DS games do it so much better. I'd want a mesh of the two, which there's a fair chance we could get a mesh of both, especially since it looks like the game is leaning more towards the "horror" part than just the "runrunrunshoot" design of RE4.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Man, Bethesda is on a roll with awesome new franchises. First Dishonored, now this.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Man, Bethesda is on a roll with awesome new franchises. First Dishonored, now this.

They only published Dishonored, they didn't develop it.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I know. Still pretty awesome of them to be supporting all these cool new IPs.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    That trailer made me jump at the start and it made sure I wouldn't be eating anything for the next few hours.

Kind of bummed Mikami didn't go first person though.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    That trailer is fucking awesome. I'm so pumped for this game now.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

They shouldn't just quit: they really should be mentoring and shepherding new developing minds.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    I just watched that trailer

I just remembered I'm really bad at handling legit scary horror games. Like there hasn't been a Resident Evil anything in ten years that scares me, and Bioshock doesn't put me off much anymore, and

And I've been avoiding real horror games for a long time, but I love Mikami to death so I have to play this, oh God I don't want to oh Jesus

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I just watched that trailer

I just remembered I'm really bad at handling legit scary horror games. Like there hasn't been a Resident Evil anything in ten years that scares me, and Bioshock doesn't put me off much anymore, and

And I've been avoiding real horror games for a long time, but I love Mikami to death so I have to play this, oh God I don't want to oh Jesus

Yeah, I'm down pretty hard for something that claims to be a horror game and is actually horror. DS3 was a massive, massive disappointment in that regard; it's impossible to build any tension whatsoever when you've killed 50 different things before the first hour of the game is even done, then the game ramps the enemy encounters up throughout the game, and then all of the gameplay is built entirely around spamming medkits because you simply can't shoot enough to keep all the ultra-speed enemies off of you. RE1 is a million years old at this point and has less than hundred enemies in the entire game, and most of the time you just want to get the hell away from them more than you want to waste precious ammo fighting them.

I can do with some action bits, sure, but I'm crossing my fingers that the game will have proper tension-building instead of just throwing a fuckton of "scary" enemies at you.

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    I hope this game is one of those that I buy to support the dev, but just watch a Let's Play because fuck that

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    The last scary game I played was Amnesia. That's gonna be a tough act to follow.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Fuck I just got the joke in the game's title.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    that trailer was neat. im excited for this.

• Options
    So, surprised no one is talking about this given that there is new footage out.

http://kotaku.com/12-minutes-of-the-evil-within-footage-will-have-you-cry-1408320430

(I know its Kotaku but it comes with a gameplay trailer for the prologue).

I have to say...that trailer creeped me right the fuck out.

And seeing what I see from the game, Evil Within is looking very much like a spiritual successor to RE4.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhbL72O219s

Keep an eye on Eurogamer people. They puttin' lots of stuff up.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    ew2.jpg
    Nooooooope.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I know. Still pretty awesome of them to be supporting all these cool new IPs.

They just need to avoid stuff like Hunted : The Demon's Forge. I was interested in Brink but it could have used a closed alpha.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Man, I plan on going into this game with watching any video and only reading the review scores.

I did that for Dead Space, and not knowing what the game was going to throw at me and how I should react made the experience soooo much better.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I feel like it's reaching a bit of a silly level in the shit I've seen.

When you hit the "big ol spinny blades that slowly close" hall in a building, you've entered an absurdist territory.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    I feel like it's reaching a bit of a silly level in the shit I've seen.

When you hit the "big ol spinny blades that slowly close" hall in a building, you've entered an absurdist territory.

It's Shinji Mikami, absurdism has been the name of his game since 1996

Also this game looks red hot

And I'm going to force myself to play it even though I'm going to cry like a frightened child

dN0T6ur.png