As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Our first, last and only line of defense (another XCOM LP) (completed)

Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road]Registered User regular
edited March 2014 in Social Entropy++
Ladies and gentlemen, we are at war. You’ve seen the news reports, probably witnessed the destruction firsthand. Perhaps even lost loved ones. We do not know our enemy, their origin or motive. All we know is they are absolutely hostile and cannot be negotiated with, and they outmatch us in terms of technology, strength and firepower. The armies of several nations have already been overwhelmed. All predictions at this point indicate that Earth will fall in a matter of months.

Earth will not fall.*

I have been authorised to lead an offensive retaliation against the enemy forces. A base of operations will be built, where the finest minds in science and engineering can focus on R&D of novel combat technologies. We will recruit the best soldiers Earth has to offer and lead coordinated attacks against key targets. All while chronically underfunded and being incessently nagged by ominous government figures.

You have all been invited here to participate in an advisory council that will help direct this project. Hard choices will have to be made, and I am going to need to rely on you all to help make those choices.

Should any of you, by some strange chance, be unfamiliar with the threat we are facing, please consult the following materials and acquaint yourself with our enemy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz5ePZTXLOI

* Probably. Maybe.

This will be my first attempt at an LP. Hopefully it won’t suck!

I have never completed this game. I love the start but have always lost motivation or been distracted halfway through, but doing an LP should keep me interested. This means after about halfway this will be a blind LP and I will probably fuck up more and fail. Hooray.

The game shall be as thus:

XCOM Enemy Unknown
DLC: Elite Soldier Pack and Slingshot
Difficulty: Classic
Iron Man: Disabled - I am going to play according to Iron Man principles, but due to potential game breaking bugs I am not turning it on. Will only reload if one of the aforementioned bugs occurs.
Second Wave Options:
Not Created Equal (rookies starting stats are randomised)
Hidden Potential (on promotion, a soldier’s stats increase randomly)
New Economy (funding from individual council members is randomised)
Absolutely Critical (flanking shots are guaranteed critical hits)
The Greater Good (psionics can only be unlocked by interrogating a psionic alien)
E-115 (elerium stores degrade over time)

There is no guarantee that I will win this, but what’s the worst that could happen?

Brovid Hasselsmof on

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Two critical steps need to be completed in order for the Project to proceed. A location for the XCOM headquarters must be chosen, and soldiers must be recruited.

The Base

Every nation in the funding council is eager to be home to the XCOM base, and the countries of each continent are offering additional resources as incentives.

The countries of North America promise substantial aid with building and maintaining a fighter fleet. (Air and Space – all aircraft cost 50% less to purchase, build and maintain)

The nations of Europe are offering to put cutting edge research and manufacturing facilities at our disposal (Expert Knowledge – labs and workshops cost 50% less to build and maintain)

Scientists in South America assure us they have sophisticated intelligence gathering methods to share (We Have Ways – autopsies and interrogations are completed instantly)

Several African leaders have ‘found’ additional sources of revenue for the project (All In – Monthly funding increased by 30%)

And the nations of Asia promise to assist us with advanced warfare expertise (Future Combat – projects in the foundry and officer training school cost 50% less)

Suggestions as to the best site for the XCOM HQ are welcomed.

The Troops

Our soldiers need to be of the highest standard, willing to make the ultimate sacrifice if necessary. Even if we should triumph and win this war it is likely not all of our troops will be coming home. Their resolve must be absolute. Also, it would help if they can aim.

If you know of any likely candidates please complete the following form with their details and submit it for consideration:
    Surname:
    First name (or initial):
    Additional Info: (if you want your soldier to have a specific hairstyle or skin/armour colour say so here)

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Madder
    Anne
    Female
    Black or red armor

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Surname: Aya
    First Initial: Y.
    Additional Info: I demand really dumb hair of some description

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    are there character limits for the names?

Floosevelt (or Flow if floosevelt doesn't fit)
    T.
    yellow armor? I dunno the options
    if it is possible to have a mustache then mustache, otherwise whatev!

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    S: Label
    Fn: M.
    G: Male
    Pale blue, dark blue, or gray armor, any kind of helmet

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    468px-002.png

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Surname: Starbuck
    First name: G
    The headset+shades hat

e: Asia HQ is the best.

This should be good, I love X-COM LPs

101 on
  • Options
    TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    shivspam.jpg

Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Finally got time to start this today.

Confirmation of game settings:
    lPu2J4Z.jpg
    XJEYXko.jpg
    8cHa8ZW.jpg

Asia was chosen as the HQ site after winning an overwhelming victory of one vote. I have never played Asia before so curious to see what it's like.

I didn't record the first mission because you have to play with random soldiers. I played really carefully to make sure they all survived so no random names messed up my memorial wall, congratulated them on a job well done, then fired the three that got promotions because I want all my proper guys starting out equal as rookies.

And here they are

Bg7p2LW.jpg

This is everyone who's signed up so far plus Bogey and Rank because they asked to be in. I had one female soldier leftover so made her Smof, let's see how quickly I can get myself killed. Apparently if I let Rank die he's going to ban me, so guess who will be MVP in every mission. Hope the rest of you are ready to take one for the team repeatedly! (The team is Rank)

It was only after customizing everyone that I realised Mr Bogey and Mrs Rankenphile are both from Nigeria, and instantly decided they are a married couple who signed up together. Maybe their son got abducted and they have a personal stake in getting revenge. THIS IS CANON NOW.

Here's what everyone looks like. Hope you like your designs because if you don't you are SOL cos I spent way too long doing this. (Yaya I'm sorry. I did the stupid hair like you asked and the rest just kind of followed)

cFOcXNP.jpg

A quick look at starting stats tells me Bogey is probably going to be the resident teamkiller with an impressive Will of 28, and Floosevelt is a potential marksman with Aim of 70. Let's hope he gets given a sniper rifle. The rest of you are all decidedly average.

With that all out the way... I set to researching weapon fragments cos I want those sweet, sweet lasers, bought a medkit and started building a satellite. Then it's off on our first mission.

Operation Blind Law in Cairo, Rookies Label, Aya, Floosevelt and Madder reporting for duty. As the bravest man on the squad Label gets the medkit, everyone else has grenades, let's do this!

OAB5qgM.jpg

Let me know if pictures are too big/too small.

• Options
    yaaay

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Just gonna slide this application under your door, Commander.
    Surname: Gatz
    First name (or initial): J
    Additional Info: Green armour with Beret

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The pics auto-resize, so don't worry!

• Options
    just make sure theyre under 500k @smof !

• Options
    I'd just like to say I will never get tired of XCOM LP's

Ever

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Just gonna leave this here:

Surname: Lobo
    First name (or initial): Karl
    Additional Info: Black/grey armor/full helmet

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Surname: Fuzzbutt
    First name: Mr
    Additional info: Awesome

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    YA GODDAMN RIGHT!

XENO SCUM AIN'T GOT NOTHIN ON THE BEST! THE BEST! THE BEST!

GODDAMN WE LOOK FUUUUCKIIIIN GOOD!

LET'S DO THIS!

Label on
  • Options
    Label died in the first mission

• Options
    T-t-t-that's XCOM, folks!

• Options
    Nah just kidding. But that would have been hilarious.

• Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    !signup
    Surname: Pugilation
    First name (or initial): Comprehension Through
    Additional Info: Pink armour, beret

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    !signup
    Surname: Galore
    First Name: Donny
    Additional Info: Beret/glasses & muttonstache

• Options
    Operation Blind Law
    March 3rd 23:19 Cairo
    Rk Aya, Rk Madder, Rk Label, Rk Floosevelt

Rk. Aya: Okay guys, we have no idea what we're dealing with here, and we've got our asses hanging out here in the open. Suggest we move up to that building for some cover.

Rk. Label: Agreed. You go first. You'll be easy to follow.

Rk. Aya: All right. Doesn't look like there's anything waiting for us inside.

b85fgu9.jpg

Rk. Floosevelt: Gonna head up around the back of the building, see if anyone's waiting on the other side.

Rk. Label: I'm with you. Aya, Madder, hang back and cover the front of the building.

{unidentified sound}

Rk. Floosevelt: Hold up. D'you hear that?

Rk. Label: I do. Sounds like... some kind of animal?

ro8QF5E.jpg

Rk. Floosevelt: All right, alleyway's clear.

eFIgQf4.jpg

Rk. Label: Let's check if there's anything further in the building. You ready?

Rk. Floosevelt: Ready. Open 'er up.

VoADggw.jpg

Rk. Label: Okay, seems empty.

Rk. Aya: Roger that. Moving up inside to regroup with you guys.

Rk. Madder: Moving down to cover that alley.

imoclW2.jpg

Rk. Label: All right, heading insi... movement!

{door slamming}

Rk. Floosevelt: What the shit is that??

W1qUoS5.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Rk. Label: Some kind of space monkey? Whatever it is it has a friend, but I didn't see where it went.

Rk. Aya: Fall back, Label. Floosevelt, get your ass inside!

Rk. Floosevelt: You know I just had the same idea.

eupvrMC.jpg

Rk. Aya: That's a feisty space monkey, looks like it's moving up on us. Can't get a good shot on it.

Rk. Madder: I think I can solve that problem. Frag out!

69ASKxN.jpg

{explosion}

Rk. Floosevelt {pistol shots}

z3dYdjK.jpg

Rk. Floosevelt: It's down. Thanks for the assist, Madder.

Rk. Madder: Happy to help.

Rk. Floosevelt: Aaand there's space monkey number two.

TEQwSxW.jpg

Rk. Aya: I got this one.

RRbK8wp.jpg

{explosion}

cgYeQ1d.jpg

Rk. Aya: Boom! Ha, those things are fun.

Rk. Floosevelt: Aw, I didn't get to shoot that one.

Rk. Label: Okay everyone regroup, and we can sweep through this building.

{window smashing}

bXtc8LF.jpg

Rk. Aya: Another one. He's got good cover, can't get a decent shot. Anyone got any grenades left?

Rk. Floosevelt: Right here.

{explosion}

Rk. Floosevelt: Hey, they are fun. I can't believe Dr. Vahlen didn't want us bringing these.

Rk. Label: Man, I hope this place has insurance.

Rk. Aya: I'm gonna see if I can get a bit closer to this guy.

{plasma shots}

ksNl1ho.jpg

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    God speed RK. Aya

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Rk. Aya, report, you alright???

and then someone else, please report in to verify whatever Rk. Aya reports

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Rk. Aya: Aaagh.

Rk. Madder: Aya! You okay?

Rk. Aya: Yeah, I'm okay. Damn but that stings.

fUaBbx0.jpg

Rk. Aya: Let's see how you like it monkey boy.

Rk. Aya {pistol shots}

DQTohAc.jpg

Rk. Madder: He... doesn't really look like he minds it much, actually.

Rk. Aya: Well forgive me for being a little woozy right now.

Rk. Madder: Taking the shot.

Rk. Madder {rifle fire}

iMFYbUz.jpg

Rk. Aya: I got shot in the face with an alien gun. What's your excuse?

Rk. Madder: Uh, he dodged?

Rk. Aya: Let's try this again.

Rk. Aya {pistol shots}

PJxfNvl.jpg

Rk. Aya: There it is!

Rk. Label: Hold tight, Aya. Bringing you the medkit.

Rk. Floosevelt: All right, I'm moving up some more.

O0nJw4O.jpg

Rk. Floosevelt: Uh... on second thoughts, moving back down.

oTm9GDQ.jpg

Rk. Madder: You found us some more friends? Oh, goody.

Rk. Aya: We got another on this side too!

{plasma shots}

1e1up8F.jpg

Rk. Aya: Closer than I'd like! Hey aliens, you could shoot at someone else you know.

Rk. Label: Maybe they think you're an easy target. You know, on account of your massive pink hair. Now hold still.

gHFIFgd.jpg

Rk. Aya: What even is that?

Rk. Label: What am I, a doctor? I don't know. Here, you want some chewable morphine?

Rk. Madder: Space monkeys are forming up to engage.

Rk. Floosevelt: Right. I'm gonna see if I can sneak up on 'em.

wWVQe50.jpg

{window smashing}

Rk. Aya: One of them's backed right up. The other two aren't doing much. But again with the purple stuff, what is going on there?

Rk. Label: Who cares? We kill them, the purple stuff goes away. I'm gonna see if I can flank around the outside of the building.

{plasma shots}

M0N6d4Q.jpg

Rk. Label: Aaagh! Shit, I'm okay! I'm okay!

{plasma shots}

4sNF3u0.jpg

Rk. Aya: Label?

Rk. Label: Damn, that really does sting.

Rk. Aya: What'd I tell you?

Rk. Label: Jeez. Sure would be nice to have a medkit right now.

Rk. Aya: Sucks to be you.

Rk. Floosevelt: If it's any consolation, Label, that was a mighty fine distraction.

htiDrYF.jpg

Rk. Floosevelt {rifle fire}

4DBRBBf.jpg

Rk. Floosevelt: One down. Two to go.

Rk. Madder: Second's right out in the open. His friend blew away his cover when he shot at Label.

Rk. Label: Yay, I helped.

Rk. Madder: Taking the shot.

Rk. Madder {rifle fire}

pvioR0L.jpg

Rk. Madder: Dammit, shots wide.

Rk. Floosevelt {rifle fire}

inB0thk.jpg

Rk. Floosevelt: Is that what you meant to do?

Rk. Madder: Ah, shut up.

Rk. Floosevelt: One left.

Rk. Madder: Moving forward.

Q7hDDdk.jpg

Rk. Aya: He's coming back into the building. Guess seeing all his friends get wiped hasn't discouraged him yet.

8tCJTKf.jpg

Rk. Madder: Brave little guy. Brave, but stupid.

A9Olslk.jpg

Rk. Madder {rifle fire}

Rk. Madder: Thank you, and goodnight.

Rk. Floosevelt: All right, I'm not hearing any more movement, I think that might be it. Let's grab all the bits we didn't explode and head on home.

Rk. Aya: I'm gonna nab me a space monkey head. I'll keep pens in it!

Rk. Floosevelt: Hey Label, how're you feeling?

Rk. Label: Oh I'm fine. Hey, do you guys smell barbecue?

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Rank and Karl signing up? Where are you going to get the necessary supply of...
    smof wrote: »
    RRbK8wp.jpg

Never mind, I see it's covered.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Operation Blind Law Mission Debrief

Kill Count

Rk. Floosevelt 3
    Rk. Aya 2
    Rk. Madder 1
    Rk. Label 0

Promotions

Rk. Aya promoted to Squaddie. Assigned class: Support. The labs are as we speak working to develop a smoke grenade that will successfully obscure Aya's hair.

Rk. Madder promoted to Squaddie. Assigned class: Sniper. Really capitalising on that one kill.

Rk. Floosevelt promoted to Squaddie. Assigned class: Assault. Pretty appropriate, I think. Sq. Floosevelt may now choose whether he is equipped with an assault rifle or a shotgun, @Theodore Floosevelt. (If it were up to me I'd pick AR because you have good aim, but if you want to be a boomstick-toting mofo I am happy to defer to your wishes)

Okay that went pretty well. I got lucky, I could have easily lost Aya and Label. Woops!

Is the format okay? I am going to screenshot-spam the hell out of this LP so if I need to reduce image size or something because of load times let me know.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    victory cigars for everyone! now let's go watch predator as a team-building exercise

also the squad banter is great, smof

and AR please!

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    MRS RANKENPHILE?!?

MRS?!?

THAT'S NOT PART OF THE DEAL SMOF

UNLESS IT IS, LIKE, I AM SO MIGHTY THAT I CAN ONLY BE DESCRIBED AS TWO OR MORE MISTERS AND SO MUST ALWAYS BE DESCRIBED IN THE PURAL TENSE

BUT STILL I DO NOT RECALL THAT BEING PART OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    YA GODDAMN RIGHT I HELPED!

HEY MAYBE NEXT TIME YOU ALL COULD SAVE A SPACE MONKEY FOR ME, EH? HA HA!

BUT GOOD SHIT THOUGH TEAM! WE'VE GOT THIS PLANET!

(i think the format's pretty good. the dialog's kinda neat, but it might get tough to keep up over a whole playthrough, i dunno.)

Label on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    hey! I could have died and then I didn't!

suck my glorious mane, xenos!

• Options
    TaskmanTaskman Registered User regular
    I know it's a bit late in the game, but in the unlikely event of multiple TPKs I'd like to sign up:

Surname: Fisk
    First Name: Gregoire
    Additional Info: Full faced helmet, bright red armour.

Thanks!

uGn5f.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Label wrote: »
    (i think the format's pretty good. the dialog's kinda neat, but it might get tough to keep up over a whole playthrough, i dunno.)

The dialog is really just to help convey what's going on. The alternative is showing a pic of literally every mouse click, or just narrating it. This way is more fun for me. Hopefully it's not annoying.

@Rankenphile, oops. If you really care I will remake you as a dude. But I think you look pretty badass with your beret and shades!

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I play with Ironman on and just do a hard crash whenever the game bugs out.

I only got screwed over by this once when a Floater teleported over my head, into the geometry, and one-shotted my support class.

I got screwed over time when a Floater got stuck in geometry but I didn't realize it. I had to use had crashes to figure out the exact spot that it was OK to shoot it in (because it could shoot me from anywhere?).

So other than that, just use Ironman dude!

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    No MURDERBOT also means you are doomed.

Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Eh, I've found having Iron Man disabled is actually pretty useful because sometimes I'm too slow with the screenshot button. Because I know shots will always turn out the same repeatedly I can reload, do the same thing and get the picture. You'll all just have to take my word that I'm not cheating. I promise I will let you all die horrible deaths at my hands, because I'm your friend and that's what friends do for each other.

Intermission Base Report

Sq. Aya and Rk. Label will be spending 6 and 17 days in the sickbay respectively. As I want to have at least two full squads plus some reserves, this means we need to recruit some new soldiers.

I now also take a look at the base schematic. I only need to excavate one cell in order to have a fully open top row, which should save on some money early on. Though the second row is going to be expensive, eesh. I set the engineers on excavating that cell.

EkwHc3s.jpg

March 08 - Excavation is complete. I can't build anything yet though.

Also the new hires arrive. Welcome to the project Rookies Gatz, Lobo and Fuzzbutt

ye410tk.jpg

March 09 - Dr. Vahlen completes her research on the alien weapon fragments, and begins research into Experimental Warfare.

LkN3OpWh.jpg

March 13 - a small UFO is detected in the skies over Japan. Raven-1 is dispatched and successfully intercepts and takes down the target. A fresh squad of rookies is sent to engage.

WVRoJIE.jpg

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Put me in coach I'm ready!

• Options
    Ho ho ho, this latest mission is a doozy.