As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Twilight Imperium] Game 6 - Game Over.

1606162636466»

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    I've never actually seen a game with advanced fighters because of the steep tech requirements. The tech requirement is a tad less steep in the base game, but still greater than war suns plus the much easier to get defense turrets makes it seem pointless.

Anyone ever see them in action?

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    I don't think I can remember seeing Advanced Fighters in play due to their depth in the tech tree. (But while they require six prerequisites in the standard tech tree, they're a tier-4 tech in the alternate tree; only War Suns has a steeper depth as the only tier-5 tech in the alternate tree.) It's still a good tech if Cybernetics can also be grabbed to increase the Fighters' attack power, but it definitely requires a lot of commitment to technology to the detriment of production - it's much more reasonable to go for in the alternate tree.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    I'd say it's actually less reasonable in the alternate tree. Both have 6 prerequisites, but in the standard tree they're all super useful techs. In fact they're the best techs in the game!

Anti-Mass deflectors, XRD, Type IV drive, Enviro Compensator, Stasis Capsules, Neural Motivators

Compare that to the 6 in the alternate tree:

Cybernetics, the least useful tier 3 red path, Anti-mass deflectors, Maneuvering jets.

Boosted somewhat in the alternate tree by making defense turrets much harder to get, but still I can't see ever getting them over something else. Maaaaybe Jol-Nar....

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    I misunderstood you when you said "steep tech requirements", I thought you were talking about technology costs and not technology utility. But I think you're still misreading the alternate technology tree: you only need Graviton Negator OR Maneuvering Jets (in addition to Cybernetics), not both. So you could grab Advanced Fighters with just Cybernetics, Anti-Mass Deflectors, and Maneuvering Jets, ignoring the red tree completely.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Ah

• Options
    edited February 2014
    If you were going to host a Battlestar Galactica game next, make it the Mentak fleeing their destroyed homeworld in their last surviving ship, pursued by the Winnu in their basestar.

MrBody on