Options

Temporary coursework for folks vacationing in the US

naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
edited April 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
I have cousins that are going to be spending a month in the States this summer. The ideal situation in the minds of their parents is for them to take some English classes while they're out here, but they haven't taken much time to search for said coursework. I'm not entirely certain what they'd need to be able to enroll in English courses at the local community college. Outside of that, I've looked at foreign exchange programs, and what I've found so far is a 7000 dollar program at a local university (not in their budget), and year-long programs everywhere else.

Anyone have any advice on where to look, or what I should be looking for/who I should ask? I've sent off e-mails to the reps for the foreign exchange programs at local colleges and universities, but I haven't received any responses yet. Roughly, this would be anywhere in Ventura County or the Greater Los Angeles Area.

naengwen on

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    A month doesn't sound like much time, unless they were scheduling the trip around the class, and even then. Seems like you'd only just be starting to learn anything and then it's time to go home.

Also, I know this is a bigger concern when people come on student visas and end up working under the table, but there's probably a difference between a tourist and a student visa and I'm not sure if schools will take a tourist.

Scooter on
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    It's possible to take short-term classes (anything not a full semester I guess) from colleges and universities without a student visa, if you can find one. You'll still need to file paperwork with the college/university. But yeah, a month seems a little tight to me if you're going with a formal thing at a college... If it were more like a couple months, it would be more feasible.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    A month is really short for any kind of curriculum. Instead of looking for a community college or formal class, I think they would do much better to get an experienced English tutor for that duration that can work within the short restraints.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I assume they're just coming to stay with you for the duration, rather than traveling around all over the place? Because if they're planning to travel around the country none of that is feasible.

If they're staying with you, you can always put up a flyer at the local university and hope to net some ESL teaching majors looking to get in some experience. They will generally do whatever you want as long as they have the time, but it's not going to be free. That route is more practical than trying to take a class you would have to plan the trip around, especially if they're only there a month.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    As far as I can tell, they'll be staying at or close to home for the duration - otherwise, I'd just tell them to pick up some online courses and go from there.

We've thought of hiring a tutor, but my aunt has gone back and forth on the idea. I agree, though - at this point, it seems like their best option unless they're willing to extend the trip. I'll push that option during our next chat and see how it goes. Thanks guys!