As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Side trip - EMP Museum Fantasy exhibit

HeyJoeHeyJoe SeattleRegistered User regular
Anyone coming to PAX this year that has the slightest interest in the fantasy genre should check this out over at the EMP Museum (next to the Space Needle):

http://www.empmuseum.org/at-the-museum/current-exhibits/fantasy-worlds-of-myth-and-magic.aspx

Among other things, there will be a replica of The Iron Throne, some of Tolkien's original manuscripts, and a very cool animatronic dragon. The Art of Video Games exhibit is currently still ongoing as well.

• Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    Where do they list their closing dates for exhibitions?
    I can't find it anywhere!!

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    HeyJoeHeyJoe SeattleRegistered User regular
    Not sure, but most exhibits are there for at least 6 months

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    The art of video games exhibit closes in May.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    ddt58ddt58 Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I checked with EMP box office and they said the Fantasy exhibit will definitely still be there in September.

• Options
    jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
    It's unfortunate that the video games exhibit closes in May but if you've never been to the EMP before its worth it regardless of what exhibit is displayed.

• Options
    TarakaDarkTarakaDark Grey Warden SeattleRegistered User regular
    "The Art of Video Games" exhibit is actually sponsored by the Smithsonian and has been touring the US. It will stop at 8 more eastern US venues after it closes in EMP on May 13th, stops listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_Video_Games. There are two final events at EMP related to this exhibit before it moves on, events on the evenings of May 2nd and May 10th. If you will be in Seattle during this time, you should contact EMP for more information. Wanting to see it before it was gone, I did an exhaustive tour of this exhibit on Friday, April 26th, and you can see pretty much see and do everything in this particular exhibit (save playing all the way through the five playable games) in several hours.

~TarakaDark
    PAX without PAX Yahoo group has been set up to organize para-PAX events:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/shadowpax
  • Options
    JenniLyneJenniLyne Registered User regular
    Is there a large PAX group that is planning on meeting up there? I'm defintiely dropping by the museum, but haven't decided whether to go on Thursday afternoon or Tuesday morning.

• Options
    JenniLyne wrote: »
    Is there a large PAX group that is planning on meeting up there? I'm defintiely dropping by the museum, but haven't decided whether to go on Thursday afternoon or Tuesday morning.

The Magical Mystery Tour (MMT) might hit it as one of their stops. Check the thread for more info.

• Options
    JenniLyneJenniLyne Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    @LexiconGrrl & Serenity - Thanks! I'll keep an eye on that thread.

JenniLyne on
  • Options
    MidnyteMidnyte Registered User regular
    I hate to mention this but, the Iron Throne will be leaving the Fantasy Exhibit on July 28th. It was only on loan for 3 months. The exhibit itself is still great, plus they have the Icons of Science Fiction and the Horror Exhibit going on. Still lots to see.

• Options
    byakuenbyakuen Somewhere in SeattleRegistered User regular
    The EMP's group rate starts at 15% discount for 15 people or more (just depends if someone wants to organize it). Though, if you are planning to hit other locations such as the Space Needle, Museum of Flight, etc. A CityPass may be a better discount.

♥ Properly Pleased Participant of Past PAX PrimeWest: '10, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Midnyte wrote: »
    I hate to mention this but, the Iron Throne will be leaving the Fantasy Exhibit on July 28th. It was only on loan for 3 months. The exhibit itself is still great, plus they have the Icons of Science Fiction and the Horror Exhibit going on. Still lots to see.

Oh really? Fuck, that was one of the biggest things I wanted to check out....

• Options
    dreamninjadreamninja Registered User regular
    Midnyte wrote: »
    NOOOOOOOOOOooOOoOOOOOOOOOOooOOo....

Well it's a good thing I live in Washington...I know what I'm doing this weekend...
    In all seriousness...EMP is amazing. I just moved to washington like 15 months ago and have been to the EMP many times and I'm never disappointed. It's not your standard run of the mill museum. It's a combination of amazing with a little fantastic mixed in.

• Options
    We just went and saw the Fantasy exhibit last weekend, before it left town. It was really, really great. If you're in a city that gets it in the future, definitely check it out.

That said, I agree that pretty much anything at the SciFi Museum/EMP is going to be fantastic.

• Options
    Hahah managed to get my chair time today...the fantasy exhibit is still there. It's just the chair that's leaving on the 29th.

• Options
    createacatcreateacat CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I am definitely gonna go by, if a group ends up going, count me in

https://twitter.com/createacat1
    PAX Prime Attendee: '10, '11, '12, '13 / PAX East Attendee: / PAX Aus Attendee:

My Digital Pin Lanyard
  • Options
    VersuserikVersuserik (E) Versuserik Maui HawaiiRegistered User regular
    Me and my brood are going Thursday before dinner at the space needle. Super stoked!

PAX PRIME 2015 Status:
    [♦ ] 4 Day Passes
    [♦ ] Hotel
    [ ] Plane Tickets
    [♦]Working my ass off to pay for all this shit.
  • Options
    dreamninja wrote: »
    Hahah managed to get my chair time today...the fantasy exhibit is still there. It's just the chair that's leaving on the 29th.

Can I just say that it drives me crazy that they don't put their exhibit dates or details like this on their website?

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    dreamninja wrote: »

Can I just say that it drives me crazy that they don't put their exhibit dates or details like this on their website?

Yeah, that's pretty annoying. I looked for that a few days ago too... What kind of museum doesn't have dates on traveling exhibits? GRAAAHHRR.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    I agree it is a little annoying that they don't have that info, but the info on the chair was there as of last week before they removed it. EMP is pretty unpredictable with their displays. I'm guessing its almost like a "as long as it's busy we'll keep it up" scenario lol I remember they had an Alice in Chains thing that they put up there but it was gone pretty quickly and the Nirvana one has been there forever. Anyway, as a side note, if anyone is thinking on going to EMP, be wary that on Saturday "EMP's Sky Church will serve as a venue for the 43rd annual Bumbershoot, North American's largest urban arts festival.…" so it might be a little crowded or if art is your thing it might be something to look forward to :)

• Options
    jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular
    I've been meaning to visit the EMP museum two years now, but with the fantasy exhibit there, I'm definitely gonna try to squeeze it in to my schedule. For those of you who've been there, how long would it take to go through most of the exhibits at a casual pace?

PimDtoK.png
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    jukkakhan wrote: »
    I've been meaning to visit the EMP museum two years now, but with the fantasy exhibit there, I'm definitely gonna try to squeeze it in to my schedule. For those of you who've been there, how long would it take to go through most of the exhibits at a casual pace?

Less than an hour, from the time I was there. If you want to read every placard and note, maybe two hours.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    WhatamiWhatami Registered User new member
    If you go the Music side to play with the instruments... it's even longer.

• Options
    createacatcreateacat CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Anyone headed to exhibit this weekend?

https://twitter.com/createacat1
    PAX Prime Attendee: '10, '11, '12, '13 / PAX East Attendee: / PAX Aus Attendee:

My Digital Pin Lanyard