As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS2 Shopping List

Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
So, I'm finally getting around to buying one, seeing as I've missed out on potentially one of the best game libraries of all time.

I'll either head up to best buy or gamestop tonight, and I need to know what I should get with it.

PSTwo(or whatever the newest revision is called) - $140(I think)
Memory cards - I heard I should get the two pack of official ones for the best cost to memory ratio. It's what, another $40?
Do I need anything like a remote or is it DVD compatible out of the box?
It comes with composite, right? Will I see a dramatic boost on my SDTV if I buy some component cables for it?

As for games, I was planning on getting most of my stuff used at gamestop so I could get away with paying $3-10 for most of the old stuff I want. I'd like to start out with God of War. Are there any other good action games I should get right off the bat? Other interests: How cheap should FFXII be now, used? Any other outstanding RPGs that should be in stock or readily available on ebay or any other stores? I was thinking about getting a couple games like Psi-ops, but, I already have a Wii and an Xbox(although the xbox isn't in optimal condition, I have disc read errors all the time), should I get it for Xbox anyway, or are the differences small enough to make a PS2 purchase worth it for convenience? Any other cross-platform titles recommended I get? And I'm sure there's been a PS2 Best Games Ever thread, so I guess I can just search for that too.

Anything I'm forgetting?

Mai-Kero on

• Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Guitar Hero.
    It's really fucking fun.

The system will play dvds out of the box, and you don't NEED a remote.

You're going to pay $140? In Canada, the PS2 is $129.
    Try and find an "open box" system if you can. I bought mine from Future Shop (same as best buy) for $179, and it came with a second controller, a memory card, $25 off of any videogame, and a one-year warranty on all of it. It was a hell of a deal, and the only issue was that the box was open.

Edit:
    Also, you should look for that thread. I would, but I'm lazy.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bombboybombboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Do note the remote control can turn the PStwo (slimline) off.

bombboy on
    XBL - BombBoyGT | PSN - BombBoyGT | Steam - BombBoy | BF4
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Xagarath on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Guitar Hero.
    It's really fucking fun.

The system will play dvds out of the box, and you don't NEED a remote.

You're going to pay $140? In Canada, the PS2 is $129.
    Try and find an "open box" system if you can. I bought mine from Future Shop (same as best buy) for $179, and it came with a second controller, a memory card, $25 off of any videogame, and a one-year warranty on all of it. It was a hell of a deal, and the only issue was that the box was open.

Edit:
    Also, you should look for that thread. I would, but I'm lazy.

Yeah, I probably got the price confused.

Also: Is Second Sight available on GC or just PS2 and Xbox?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, Second Sight is on GC too. Its a nice game, certainly worth the bargain bin prices it will command these days.

LewieP on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would get Tekken 5 if you are a fighting game fan and there is a Grand Theft Auto pack now that I think comes with all three games. Of course since you're getting God of War you should get the second one at some point too.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Rehab wrote: »
    I would get Tekken 5 if you are a fighting game fan and there is a Grand Theft Auto pack now that I think comes with all three games. Of course since you're getting God of War you should get the second one at some point too.

I would say pick up Soul Calibur 2 before Tekken. Don't bother with SCIII, it's not worth it.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I dunno, I thought Soul Calibur 3 was a really solid game and certainly added enough to warrant a sequel. That said I also prefer Soul Calibur 2 though.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Besides the games mentioned in the linked thread: Grab the Logitech Action Wireless controller, which is total aces. Best wireless pad I've ever owned, even including the Wavebird (this one's got rumble!). You might be able to find it cheaper online or on eBay, though.

Also, I'd definitely grab Shadow of the Colossus and DMC3: Special Edition, which are both Greatest Hits now ($20 US). And if you never played them on the Xbox, Max Payne 1 and 2 can be had for a total of about $10 US used nowadays.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    WuckFarcraftWuckFarcraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    PS2 has some great games that you can get for 20 dollars or under.

Metal Gear Solid 3
    God of War
    Devil May Cry 3
    Zone of Enders 2
    Okami
    Final Fantasy X

WuckFarcraft on