As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Work At Home Jobs?

I've made more than a few threads in the past getting job advice, but I figured I'd make this one more specific in light of my present situation.

In case you haven't heard, I was recently given a job by my friend that has me cleaning airplanes at night. It's not a terribly grueling job (though it varies in difficulty depending how dirty the planes are), only takes about an hour and a half to two hours to clean, and pays $100 flat every night. Considering how well above they're paying for what barely constitutes part-time, it's been quite lucrative.

But it's not enough to satisfy me. It's not a guarantee there will be a plane every night to clean, especially as current weather conditions over here have cancelled three nights of planned work so far. As far as "real" jobs go, I've continued to make progress in my application for Custom Border Protection. I recently passed the structured interview phase, and I've been told I need to wait for them to schedule me for the next phase (drug and polygraph). Ideally, I'm hoping to sustain myself from small part-time jobs like the airplane cleaning until I finally get hired by CBP.

So I wanted to ask for advice on any work-at-home jobs I could do during the day to add to the amount of money I could be making in the meantime. For those unaware, I've got prior writing experience with several websites, though the majority don't offer payment beyond the games they provide for free. I was given this site as a reference for possible paid work, but so far nothing has really turned up on that end.

I could use advice on other sites or job types I can apply for that lets me earn money from the comfort of my home. Between that and the airplane cleaning, I hope to make a decent wage to keep me going until I finally (and hopefully) land the CBP job.

All ideas, as usual, are appreciated.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    The problem with a lot of work-at-home jobs is they often require you to first work in the office to make sure you're a reliable employee. That said, I have a bunch of journo friends who are rarely in the office. One thing to check out is political or nonprofit work, as they usually pay a few people once they determine you're not a totally unreliable shitheel via volunteering.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Freelance writing can range from 'little bit of money here and there' to 'Full time job' depending on the area you live in & how much time you're able to invest in writing pieces for local magazines.

Just a word of caution: there are a lot of scams that try to fleece people looking for work from home jobs, and that includes people trying to get into freelance writing. As a rule of thumb, if anyone asks for money up front in order to 'edit' your work or to register for, say, some kind of vetting organization, they're probably trying to steal your money.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Isnt mechanical turk still around? Not big money though.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Why do you have to work from home?

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »

Personal convenience. Unless I held a job with a fixed day schedule, I wouldn't be able to do the airplane cleaning.

And yes, holding a "real" job would be better in the end, as it would prove more stable and beneficial. But I've struck out in the past in that regard, and with the high possibility of landing a big job soon (CBP), I decided to dedicate this thread solely to work-at-home jobs and consider my options on that specific job-type.
    JebusUD wrote: »

Had to look up what that was. Sounds promising, but where would one apply for this? Directly at Amazon's website?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »

Personal convenience. Unless I held a job with a fixed day schedule, I wouldn't be able to do the airplane cleaning.

And yes, holding a "real" job would be better in the end, as it would prove more stable and beneficial. But I've struck out in the past in that regard, and with the high possibility of landing a big job soon (CBP), I decided to dedicate this thread solely to work-at-home jobs and consider my options on that specific job-type.
    JebusUD wrote: »

Had to look up what that was. Sounds promising, but where would one apply for this? Directly at Amazon's website?

unless it's changed a lot, you just kind of sign up and start taking tasks. Earning about $1 maybe $2 an hour.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I've made more than a few threads in the past getting job advice, but I figured I'd make this one more specific in light of my present situation.

In case you haven't heard, I was recently given a job by my friend that has me cleaning airplanes at night. It's not a terribly grueling job (though it varies in difficulty depending how dirty the planes are), only takes about an hour and a half to two hours to clean, and pays $100 flat every night. Considering how well above they're paying for what barely constitutes part-time, it's been quite lucrative.

But it's not enough to satisfy me. It's not a guarantee there will be a plane every night to clean, especially as current weather conditions over here have cancelled three nights of planned work so far. As far as "real" jobs go, I've continued to make progress in my application for Custom Border Protection. I recently passed the structured interview phase, and I've been told I need to wait for them to schedule me for the next phase (drug and polygraph). Ideally, I'm hoping to sustain myself from small part-time jobs like the airplane cleaning until I finally get hired by CBP.

So I wanted to ask for advice on any work-at-home jobs I could do during the day to add to the amount of money I could be making in the meantime. For those unaware, I've got prior writing experience with several websites, though the majority don't offer payment beyond the games they provide for free. I was given this site as a reference for possible paid work, but so far nothing has really turned up on that end.

I could use advice on other sites or job types I can apply for that lets me earn money from the comfort of my home. Between that and the airplane cleaning, I hope to make a decent wage to keep me going until I finally (and hopefully) land the CBP job.

All ideas, as usual, are appreciated.

I'm not sure exactly what is to this but I am under the impression that getting a certification to be a notary public isnt hard, and you basically have a little business out your home when people need things certified. its not a lot of cash but its not like your keeping regular business hours either, they call you up, schedule a time for you to be there, and you make 20 bucks.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    It'd be easier to get a real job that is convenient to you than a work-at-home job. Those jobs are vanishingly rare, and most of them are scams preying on the disabled and desperate or high-flying technical jobs that are hardly the casual sort of thing you are looking for.

• Options
    RollsavagerRollsavager Registered User regular
    Since August I've been working with a Chinese company that does localization and linguistics work. There are a lot of openings for transcription (basically, listening to recorded speech and typing it out properly). Pay is by task, and depending on your typing speed and how comfortable you are learning hotkeys and shortcuts for the software, you can make between $5 and $15 an hour doing it.

The only requirements are a Windows-based computer and native or near-native fluency in the target language (English, or if you have other languages I can ask about those).

If you're interested shoot me a PM and I'm happy to provide more details or set you up with a recruiter.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Okay, big ideas aside, I wouldn't mind more suggestions since the airplane cleaning has slowed to a halt in the last few weeks. I'm told business "should" pick up in August, but I really could use more ways of making income during those off days.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    check craigslist and see if anyone in your area is looking for property preservation. Generally it's just changing out locks, cutting grass or doing property inspections. Doesn't pay great, but it can pay ok, and most companies just want contractactors so you set your own hours.

This discussion has been closed.