As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dungeons and Dragons: Neverwinter] It might have become Winter.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    On a more positive note, this Dungeons & Dragons game feels very...Dungeons & Dragony. I'm definitely getting little memory jolts of table top adventures I have played.

Shame you didn't start this a couple months back or so. Then it really would have felt like a tabletop adventure what with this special event they ran.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2LVYOfHQbs

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    So, a couple pieces of new. They're releasing a special $100 (on sale for $75) pack for Tyranny of Dragons that includes the Dragonborn race. Word is there's also a Warlock booster pact (similar to the Hunter one) in the works.

And of course the forums and Reddit exploded at the thought of paying for a race. However admidst all the madness, CBruce (who I believe is on the art team) made a nice post concerning content, the game and how they monetize things. Thought you guys might enjoy it.
    We've got to charge for something. Vast majority of our players don't pay anything to play the game. Small percentage pay something, and an even smaller percentage of them will pay a lot. We have to put things in the game to cater to the group of hardcore players with a lot of disposable income. They're huge subsidizers of every one else in the game. Paying for things like Dragonborn as a race is what gets you guys things like Scourge Warlock as a class for "free".

Finding that balance between something unique, desirable, and valuable and putting a hefty pricetag on it versus all of everything else that we give away for free...it's a tough business. One for which (despite what many here might think) there is no correct answer. Some people get upset, some people quit the game, some people love it and throw buckets of money. For every 100 people that refuse to pay for it or threaten to quit the game, there's 2 or 3 who'd happily fork over twice as much.

I think we've been pretty true to our core philosophy of not gating content behind a paywall. If people can't play the game, they're not going to pay for it. New adventure zones, classes, all that jazz. Is a new race "content"? Are mounts and companions? Tough questions. We don't even agree internally. A number of us here don't feel great about charging for a new race, but I think it's fair. That's just business. It costs money to maintain a game like this and create new content. We like to have money to pay for food, clothing, and shelter for our families too. Hell, we've got people working at Cryptic who have paid money into Neverwinter. I bought zen myself once. As an employee, I get a limited amount for free, and I still spent some money to get content that I helped make. Jack's probably dumped thousands into our games.

F2P games are an insane business. They defy conventional and seemingly common sense ideas about how games should be monetized. Our regular business updates and earnings baffles me. And despite what everyone might thinks, PWE doesn't actually dictate how we monetize our game. They certainly offer advice. They provide examples of other games, what they're doing, how it works out for them. But we've demonstrated unique strategies for our games that they take lessons from as well. Every market and game is different. And it's constantly evolving as the game evolves and players cycle in and out. What made the most money at launch isn't what makes the most money today. And it's not likely to be what makes the most money a year from now. So it's really up to us to figure it all out. PWE is way more hands off than WotC. WotC can be very particular about the D&D IP.

So buy, don't buy. I hope it doesn't drive you away from the game. We like all of our players. Even the ones not paying anything. They provide life and community. I wish we could give everyone everything they wanted for free, but then we'd be out of business and no one would get anything.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    That's a good post there. When I was playing regularly, I ended up paying probably more than warcraft cost me having played that from vanilla through the first expansion. I like being able to just jump into the game for a couple hours every few weeks without having to keep a subscription and if I ever carve out time for this game again, I'd gladly throw some money into it.

When it comes to playable classes, I think 1 out of 8 is fine for being behind a steep paywall. If they keep it around that ratio, I'm certainly fine with that.

I hated turning SWTOR on for the first time in months to find almost all the previously available race/class combos behind a paywall.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I have no problems at all with them charging for a race. It's one of the things that makes a ton of sense to charge for in this type of game model.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Jack Emmert (CEO of Cryptic) posted in an interview last year that all content and classes will be free. Like CBruce said above, can you argue that companions, races and mounts are "content"? Of course...but for the sake of keeping things free for a vast majority of players, you have to make a decision somewhere.

And the nice thing about Neverwinter is while there are small, numerical differences between races, at the end of the day, they're going to account for maybe 2-4% difference in overall effectiveness, times the skill of the player. Unlike some other "stand and cast" MMOs, skill matters more than anything in this game.

So yeah, when I heard they were charging for the Dragonborn race, I was a bit "eh...what?" but after reading CBruce's inside perspective on things, I can respect them for the decision they made.

Oh, and @davidsdurions Come back and play with us! We had 20 people on last night rocking PvE, PvP and dailies...you can check out, but you can never leave.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    On the other hand having to pay to let companions keep leveling up is preeeetty much what made me leave the game

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Kana wrote: »
    On the other hand having to pay to let companions keep leveling up is preeeetty much what made me leave the game

Why? Active companions are more like a nice buff, but hardly necessary at any point in the game. White companions are easily enough help to get your through 60, and once you hit dungeons, it's more about the 5-man team than companions. It's not like you ever hit a wall in the game where you can't advance or compete because you lack an "upgraded" companion.

If you had another MMO where you had to earn "upgrade tokens" by doing quests in game, would you quit there? One of the things people need to get over with Neverwinter is that Astral Diamonds are just a universal in-game currency that's used for nearly everything. But you earn it by nearly everything you do. I don't get why people are fine spending weeks or months grinding faction rep or tokens in games like GW2 or Wildstar to get a special mount or item, but then when they see it's going to take them a couple weeks of gathering AD to upgrade something, they quit. You don't have to pay a single cent if you don't want to.

I've upgrade a few companions to purple over the course of the year I've been playing. I just finished leveling my Cantankerous Mage pet (which I got by transferring AD to Zen) up to level 25, and I have the 750k AD to upgrade him to purple for the passive bonus. It's just taken time playing the game.

Well, here's some big news.
    For over a year, countless heroes have carved out their sagas with spells and steel in Neverwinter. Until now, the quests and characters that have transported players to the world of Neverwinter have been limited to the PC. As a new era dawns in the gaming world, so does a new chapter in Neverwinter’s existence. We are proud to announce that Neverwinter itself will be journeying into new territory—Xbox One!

Coming in the first half of 2015, the US Xbox One version of Neverwinter will feature the same fast-paced combat and epic dungeons as its PC cousin. We’re looking forward to offering Xbox One players a chance to explore the world of Neverwinter and realize their heroic destinies!
    IGN.com wrote:
    According to Neverwinter's lead producer, Andy Velasquez, it's losing little in the translation; on consoles, Neverwinter will feature "all the same races, all the same classes, all the same maps. The content will be there, with some minor exceptions."

The biggest alteration, Velasquez points out, is the shift from a keyboard-and-mouse interface to something that works better with controllers. Instead of the PC version's floating menus, the console edition sports a "tray" of commands in a controller-like formation across the bottom of the screen, with attacks, spells, and other abilities mapped to the triggers and face buttons for quick access. (Holding LB swaps them out for less frequently used abilities, like dailies or artifact powers.)

Other changes are less noticeable, but still significant. On Xbox One, for example, in-game friend lists will be tied to Xbox Live, rather than Neverwinter's existing lists, and there won't be cross-play with the PC version. (There's no word yet on how or if that'll affect other platforms, as Perfect World would only comment on Xbox One plans.)

Should be a big boost for the game, either way. Even with separate servers for console vs. PC, I can see a lot of people getting interested on the console, then coming over to play on the PC.

I believe in one of the articles they also mentioned they'd be rolling content out on a different schedule, with the first 4 Modules being worked in more slowly, instead of the console game launching with all the current Modules.

Anyway, interested to see how it goes.

• NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Ok so with me taking a break on WoW for a bit, I reinstalled this game JUST because I'm a huge D&D nerd and even more so with FR. I didn't hate the game at launch and complained about the way the characters looked but I'm ready to give it another go. I'm really just interested in trying out the Ranger class but was more interested in playing it as a ranged class than anything else.

However after visiting the official forums which is usually a bad idea, a lot of downsides seem to be going on about a future August patch? I just want to know if I can be a ranged ranger and be ok. I don't mind switching to melee at times but I don't want to be there anymore than I'm using a bow.

Also, with the ranger starter pack, the weapons and armor and stuff you get, is that useful for awhile? Or do you have to wait for a certain level to use it?

edited July 2014
    Of course you can be a Ranger . It's going to be fine...the official forums, especially the preview ones are about the biggest cesspool you'll find on any MMO board.

The ranger starter pack all has really useful stuff, particularly for the first 10-20 levels. After that, some of the stuff, like the weapons and cloak are going to loose their shininess.

But overall a Ranger is a very powerful PvP and PvE class.

EDIT: And to your point about wanting to use a bow. Originally the Ranger was designed to be an "in and out" class, swapping quickly between styles, but the Devs saw that most players were just going all Archery or all Melee (well, mostly), and so they're adjusting the Ranger in Mod 4 to support that playstyle more.

ironzerg on
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    I am playing a ranger as my first toon and I forgot I could switch into melee for the first 20 levels. You can still use your bow on baddies all up in your grill. At level 58 I hardly ever Tab into melee. I think I would be indicative of the people zerg said the devs are basing their changes on.

• PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    I liked this game, but never clicked with the combat. I could actually see the console combat flowing more naturally, so that bit of news was very exciting to hear.

I would much rather have a race behind a pay wall instead of a class, it might be grumble worry but I definitely don't see it being game-breaking or unbalancing. As far as free-to-play games go I have to hand it to them for making this one extremely playable.

“There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
    @papagander How many classes did you try? I know everyone says this about their favorite MMO, but Neverwinter is one of the few games in recent memory that struck me as to how distinct the playstyles of each class are. Even when it launched with only five classes, each of them genuinely played 100% different from each other.

I love this game, and fell in love with the Control Wizard. I have most of the other classes up to 60, and 2 in their 50's, and the game just isn't as much fun as it is on the class I clicked with.

I've gotten each class into the teens--most between 15-16. I got a control wizard up to about 34. I even went back and played the first ten levels of ranger not long after it came out. I mean, I like the game enough I bought extra character slots so I could have one of each thing lol. The classes have their own unique flavors, which I did like. And they're all fun, although part of the problem may have been that customization felt really light overall. I felt I was choosing my customization by picking the class, and not with the leveling choices I made thereafter.

I really don't know what it is about this game that lets me go so quickly. I get this way with limited action sets on MMOs sometimes. I think when the action in a game is balanced around skill execution (hitting the right button at the right time out of a small number of available skills) rather than skill choice (having WOW or FFXIV's nearly limitless hotbars) then the world can often feel very static and the battles repetitive. It's not very fair, because in either WOW/FFXIV you have rotations and you hit the same skills in the same order but having diverse situation-dependent skills helps keep me engaged with what's going on. Neverwinter might have found a better home with me if it felt like there was a larger packet of skill-sets to choose from in each class. That was something I really appreciated about Wildstar despite its limited action set. There was a great deal of diversity not just in the skills but also in their areas of effect and execution. GW2 as well helped to mitigate this a little for me, since weapon-swapping could drastically change your play-style. ESO too, as you had so much freedom in creating your action set you could eschew entire types of abilities (a set of all class skills, or only weapon skills, that type of thing).

I think there's something about Neverwinter's "choose this burst attack, this sustained attack, these three options from class encounters, this one daily, ............." that creates a feeling of rails on an already limited action set. It has for me the unfortunate side effect of homogenizing any of the options available to fill them. Maybe?! I don't know. Partly its just the nature of the beast, as clearly the game makers wanted to capture the essence of 4th edition play.

That's a very limiting argument and I apologize, just can't think of a different way of saying it at the moment. I just really love the game, play it intensely for maybe a week now and then, but then find myself un-engaged and moving to something else. Maybe its just that, from a player choice perspective, it feels to me like each class was only half-finished. Or maybe not a player choice perspective, more of a design perspective. I remember still one of my frustrations being the game's clear admission that there were multiple advanced paths for control wizards to choose between. Or rather, that there would be and they hadn't been implemented yet.

Neverwinter has all the D&D nostalgia going for it, it felt like a solid game (somewhat in the playstyle of Baldur's Gate, now that I think about it). I think trying it in a different environment with my console might click all the settings into place, as well as further defined class options. I'll definitely log back in and play the warlock when it comes out. This game really is one of the better f2p titles I think you can find. Not that PWE isn't using all the normal tricks to get your money, but the dragonborn is arguably the only thing of consequence they lock behind a pay wall.

XBOne | LyrKing
    I can respect that. I actually enjoy the combat more because I'm not looking at hotbars or hitting random hotkeys that I almost never use. Things move really fluid, and I feel more immersed.

My issue with Wildstar, even with the "limited action set" was that I felt like I was playing the interface. Instead of being in the world, I felt like I was looking AT the world through a window. With Neverwinter's combat, I feel right in the middle of things and it's very visceral. And in regards to the skill points, I definitely slot different powers for AOE-trash clearing, AOE bosses, single target and PvP. While there may not be a ton of powers to chose from, each one feels useful, versus some other MMOs I've played where X skill is total trash.

And at least on my Wizard, all the powers have a distinct feel and purpose to them, instead of just being X damage with B cooldown, or Z damage with B cooldown. There's no "rotation" in so far as I'm not pressing 1,1,1,2,1,1,1,3,1,1 *proc* 4, 1,1,3 like I feel exists in most other MMOs, including Wildstar.

And I don't know how long ago you quit, but 8 months ago they added new paragon paths for each class, and hopefully they'll continue to add more in 2015. And character classes really do start to come more alive after level 30, and definitely at 60. Up to level 20 or so, you're basically give a very limited amount of powers, so there's not much in the way of customizing your character. But at level 60, the "limitations" of the system actually lends itself to some profoundly interesting theory-crafting.

Also, playing with friends and in groups is amazingly fun. Just like in D&D, a group makes it better, especially when you start to see some of the class synergies start to play off each other. There's no hard combo system like in GW2, but there's a lot of when Y class does this, I'm going to do X and it's awesome.

New paragon paths would add a lot. yeah, i just don't know. that whole limited UI so that you feel much more immersed in the combat is some of why I think I'd like this more on my console. That's what I expect from console games, it makes the world seem more immediate but also a little smaller, in my book. I like the larger feel from mmo's like WOW and Wildstar, but there's definitely a place for DnD too. I'm hip deep enjoying the hell out of FFXIV right now, but I'll definitely be back in Neverwinter some day soon. I might hit you up around then!

Also, control wizard best class, for lyfe!

XBOne | LyrKing
    So Module 4: Tyranny of Dragons drops tomorrow, I'm assuming 1 PM EST, which is after the usual Thursday maintenance.

I has the excites. It should be a lot of fun :)

• ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    I have been keeping a character slot open for mah warlock

• a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    I mean, I'm all for a company making money, but making Dragonborn only available in a $75 pack?

Number One Tricky
    It's a bit over priced but that seems to be the market right now.

All across the board companies are jumping on the fleece the whales model and the problem is that it's just not compatible with my budget.

I have a whole laundry list of offenders and at this point I guess the only hope is that the bottom falls out so that $20-40 becomes a range they can bother to put something enticing at for the rest of us who are not made of money.

• kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    Damn, that's an overton window, there. $20-40 is not remotely a reasonable price for a race - in every other game that does that, it's more like $5.

kafziel wrote: »
    Damn, that's an overton window, there. $20-40 is not remotely a reasonable price for a race - in every other game that does that, it's more like $5.

I do agree with you. I guess the idea for me is if I can get them down from $75 I'd be willing to do $20 or something.

I just think the whale pricing is getting out of hand here.

edited August 2014
    To be fair, the $75 is A LOT more than just a race...and at the end of the day, you have a small percentage of players paying for the content of thousands and thousands of others. So *shrug*
    Unleash the power of the Dragonborn and become a Legend in Neverwinter with the Dragonborn Pack! The Dragonborn Legend Pack contains exclusive access to the Dragonborn race and many items to aid you on your adventures through Module 4: Tyranny of Dragons. Prepare to battle Dragons with new artifacts, enchants and unique items specifically crafted for Dragon Slaying.

This pack contains the following 12 items:

Dragonborn Race
    Dragonborn Warrior Fashion
    Heart of the Red Dragon Artifact
    Draconic Enchantment
    Ring of Dragon Slaying
    Race Change Token
    Gemfinder Enchantment
    Extra Character Slot
    Dragon Glyphs
    Dragon Hoard (30 Slot Bag)
    Dragonborn Ceremonial Fashion
    Bahamut Regalia

Details
    Dragonborn Race
    For the first time in Neverwinter, play as a Dragonborn! Children of Io, the great dragon-god, the dragonborn are a steadfast and honorable people who have thrown off the shackles of their former dragon masters. The Dragonborn is the only race that allows players to add +2 to any two stat categories. They also come with additional racial bonuses including 5% more healing from all sources and a 5% chance on attack to apply Dragonborn Fury, increasing Power and Crit by 3%. Once unlocked on your account you can make any number of Dragonborn.

Heart of the Red Dragon
    Harness the power of the dragons with this exclusive artifact. Used by the human servitors of the ancient Dragon Empire to enforce the Emperor’s will, the Heart of the Red Dragon allows you to breathe flame! Dragonborn characters can take advantage of their affinity to get even greater effects from this artifact. The Heart of the Red Dragon starts at Rank 60 and can be upgraded to Rank 100. Each character on the account can acquire a Heart of the Red Dragon from the Dragonborn Legend Pack.

Make sure you’re prepared for all the new items you’ll be collecting for your Dragonborn with the largest bag available in Neverwinter! This bag can be claimed on each character.

These leather accouterments are traditionally worn by Dragonborn for special occasions and ceremonies. These are an account-wide unlock. Each character on your account can acquire a Dragonborn Ceremonial Fashion set from the Dragonborn Legend Pack.

For more dangerous situations, this tough outfit is perfect for a Dragonborn preparing for combat. The Dragonborn Warrior Fashion set also comes with a armor transmute item. These are an account-wide unlock. Each character on your account can acquire a Dragonborn Warrior Fashion set and transmutable Head item from the Dragonborn Legend Pack

Ring of Dragon Slaying
    This epic ring grows in power with you as you level and causes your attacks on dragons to strike with extraordinary might! This is an account-wide item, each character on the account can acquire the ring. The tooltip displays the stats for the ring at level 60.

Draconic Enchantment
    This powerful enchantment draws upon the might of the dragons to add to three separate stats in either an offensive or defensive enchantment slot. This item can only be claimed once through the Rewards Claim Agent.

Race Change Token
    What good is unlocking Dragonborn if your existing characters can’t come along for the ride? Be born anew with a Race Change Token! Using this token will allow you to change the race of an existing character, while keeping their level and all the riches they’ve acquired along the way. This item can only be used once per account.

Gemfinder Enchantment
    Dragons are always in search of greater wealth. Utilizing draconic essence, this enchantment summons Will o’ Wisps as you engage in combat, which will seek out and reveal valuable gemstones for use in refining your items. This is a purple rank 9 enchantment that can be slotted in a utility slot. This item can only be claimed once through the Rewards Claim Agent.

1 Character Slot
    Want to start a Dragonborn of your very own? The Dragonborn Legend Pack comes with a character slot to make sure you have room to play your brand new race.

Bahamut Regalia (set of 5 items)
    This set of five powerful items, blessed by the metallic dragon god Bahamut, will grant you many boons and advantages when battling evil dragons. This item can only be claimed once through the Rewards Claims Agent.

Dragon Glyphs (set of 5 glyphs)
    When slotted into an overload slot, these enchantments embody the power of the chromatic dragons, charging your attacks and defenses with elemental fury. These enchantments are so powerful that they will only last for a limited time before dissipating! These items are a one-time purchase. You will be able to collect one of each Greater Glyph after purchasing the Dragonborn Legend Pack.

Ultimately, that's a lot of stuff. Oh, and you can buy it in game if you have enough Astral Diamonds...so it could technically be FREE.

ironzerg on
  • a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    No doubt you get a lot of stuff. But for me, outside of the bags and the Dragonborn, there's nothing there to entice me to buy it. And even the bags are iffy, because only one of my characters could really benefit from one.

Number One Tricky
    edited August 2014
    Protip: If it's not worth your money, don't buy it. B)

Edit: I've spent a lot of money on the packs (I have a soft spot for collecting stuff), but didn't pull the trigger on this one for the same reason. Looked at it, have no interested in a giant, shell-less turtle, and didn't spend money. I may at some point cash in some AD for it, but I'll make that call later.

ironzerg on
    ironzerg wrote: »
    To be fair, the $75 is A LOT more than just a race...and at the end of the day, you have a small percentage of players paying for the content of thousands and thousands of others. So *shrug*
    Unleash the power of the Dragonborn and become a Legend in Neverwinter with the Dragonborn Pack! The Dragonborn Legend Pack contains exclusive access to the Dragonborn race and many items to aid you on your adventures through Module 4: Tyranny of Dragons. Prepare to battle Dragons with new artifacts, enchants and unique items specifically crafted for Dragon Slaying.

This pack contains the following 12 items:

Dragonborn Race
    Heart of the Red Dragon Artifact
    Draconic Enchantment
    Ring of Dragon Slaying
    Race Change Token
    Gemfinder Enchantment
    Extra Character Slot
    Dragon Glyphs
    Bahamut Regalia

Details
    Dragonborn Race
    For the first time in Neverwinter, play as a Dragonborn! Children of Io, the great dragon-god, the dragonborn are a steadfast and honorable people who have thrown off the shackles of their former dragon masters. The Dragonborn is the only race that allows players to add +2 to any two stat categories. They also come with additional racial bonuses including 5% more healing from all sources and a 5% chance on attack to apply Dragonborn Fury, increasing Power and Crit by 3%. Once unlocked on your account you can make any number of Dragonborn.

Heart of the Red Dragon
    Harness the power of the dragons with this exclusive artifact. Used by the human servitors of the ancient Dragon Empire to enforce the Emperor’s will, the Heart of the Red Dragon allows you to breathe flame! Dragonborn characters can take advantage of their affinity to get even greater effects from this artifact. The Heart of the Red Dragon starts at Rank 60 and can be upgraded to Rank 100. Each character on the account can acquire a Heart of the Red Dragon from the Dragonborn Legend Pack.

Make sure you’re prepared for all the new items you’ll be collecting for your Dragonborn with the largest bag available in Neverwinter! This bag can be claimed on each character.

These leather accouterments are traditionally worn by Dragonborn for special occasions and ceremonies. These are an account-wide unlock. Each character on your account can acquire a Dragonborn Ceremonial Fashion set from the Dragonborn Legend Pack.

For more dangerous situations, this tough outfit is perfect for a Dragonborn preparing for combat. The Dragonborn Warrior Fashion set also comes with a armor transmute item. These are an account-wide unlock. Each character on your account can acquire a Dragonborn Warrior Fashion set and transmutable Head item from the Dragonborn Legend Pack

Ring of Dragon Slaying
    This epic ring grows in power with you as you level and causes your attacks on dragons to strike with extraordinary might! This is an account-wide item, each character on the account can acquire the ring. The tooltip displays the stats for the ring at level 60.

Draconic Enchantment
    This powerful enchantment draws upon the might of the dragons to add to three separate stats in either an offensive or defensive enchantment slot. This item can only be claimed once through the Rewards Claim Agent.

Race Change Token
    What good is unlocking Dragonborn if your existing characters can’t come along for the ride? Be born anew with a Race Change Token! Using this token will allow you to change the race of an existing character, while keeping their level and all the riches they’ve acquired along the way. This item can only be used once per account.

Gemfinder Enchantment
    Dragons are always in search of greater wealth. Utilizing draconic essence, this enchantment summons Will o’ Wisps as you engage in combat, which will seek out and reveal valuable gemstones for use in refining your items. This is a purple rank 9 enchantment that can be slotted in a utility slot. This item can only be claimed once through the Rewards Claim Agent.

1 Character Slot
    Want to start a Dragonborn of your very own? The Dragonborn Legend Pack comes with a character slot to make sure you have room to play your brand new race.

Bahamut Regalia (set of 5 items)
    This set of five powerful items, blessed by the metallic dragon god Bahamut, will grant you many boons and advantages when battling evil dragons. This item can only be claimed once through the Rewards Claims Agent.

Dragon Glyphs (set of 5 glyphs)
    When slotted into an overload slot, these enchantments embody the power of the chromatic dragons, charging your attacks and defenses with elemental fury. These enchantments are so powerful that they will only last for a limited time before dissipating! These items are a one-time purchase. You will be able to collect one of each Greater Glyph after purchasing the Dragonborn Legend Pack.

Ultimately, that's a lot of stuff. Oh, and you can buy it in game if you have enough Astral Diamonds...so it could technically be FREE.

The amount of time it would take to get that many astral diamonds is not free.

And that would all be well and good if there was a way to, say, skip all the add-ons and buy the race itself for $5 or something. But there isn't. It's exploitative and bullshit.

kafziel wrote: »
    The amount of time it would take to get that many astral diamonds is not free.

It's just a game. You're suppose to have fun playing it. It's a leisure activity. It's all essentially FREE time, right?

And getting that many AD is doable if you set your mind to it...yeah, it might take you a few weeks or months depending on how much you play, but it's definitely doable. Hell, I can earn over 1.5 million AD a week just by farming leadership on my alts, 15 minutes a day. It's not hard if you try.

And think of it this way...what if WoW or Wildstar launch an expansion, with a special playable race that you could earn in game by training in daily grind tokens. It's the same thing, only you can short cut it with cash (for an otherwise completely free game) if you so desire.

• NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    How much AD are we talking here for this pack?

Noizlanif wrote: »
    How much AD are we talking here for this pack?

You know what, I was actually curious about this, so I fired up Steam and installed the game to check.

The current exchange rate of Astral Diamonds to Zen is 495:1, so to get the $75 worth of Zen, you'd need 3,712,500 Astral Diamonds. Which really is a hell of a lot.

You need a lot of AD for a lot of things.

The problem people have is this:

When you look at a game like WoW, there's no monetary value directly associated with whatever currency gets you stuff in game, since you HAVE to pay $15/month to play. But people ignore that and just grind away, which is fine. The see that magical horse as 30 days worth of dailies, not $15 worth of game time.

But when you attach a dollar value to an in game currency, like Astral Diamonds, people start counting money instead of just playing. They see that something "costs" $25 worth of AD, instead of 30 days worth of dailies.

The key to having fun is just playing the game. And you earn Astral Diamonds, you earn gear, you get companions, mounts and fancy enchants. But it takes time, just like every other MMO. Or if you feel like throwing a few bucks into the game, you can do that. And there's nothing wrong with that.

And to that point, nothing is ever locked out on your account once you own it. If you look at games like Wildstar, ESO or WoW, you'll spend hundreds of dollars each year to play those games. You'll earn great stuff, and get all epic'd out in purples. But the second you stop paying that $15/mo, it's gone. Locked out and pulled away, and you can never, ever get it back unless you start paying money again.

In Neverwinter, you can earn something in game (or buy it if you want), and it will always be there until the servers shut down and the game closes down. If you have a bunch of stuff, but decide to take a 3 month break to play something else, all your stuff is waiting for you when you get back, without having to pay a single cent.

How many people reading this paid for the deluxe edition of Wildstar or ESO? Those were $75+ right? How many people decided not to subscribe after the first month or two? Based on these forums...it's somewhere between "a lot" and "almost everyone". But that money you paid? It's gone. Lost. Perhaps wasted. You can't randomly decide one weekend you want to jet around on your deluxe hoverboard or roll some quests with your Imperial without paying Carbine or Bethesda $15. In 6 months, that guy who dropped $75 on the Dragonborn pack, but stopped playing a few weeks after, can log in and play with all the stuff he paid for any time he wants.

It's all a matter of perspective.

• NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    Oh, I don't have an issue with the price, I just wanted to see how much AD I needed. Logged in last night, converted some 8 million AD to Zen, well hopefully since theres like a guhzillion people waiting on that. So maybe in a few weeks Ill be able to pick it up, np.

Thanks for the reminder...I put in my bid for $75 worth of Zen this morning. Might as well buy the Dragonborn pack while I have all that AD burning a hole in my coin purse.

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Looking at this out of curiosity. Is the Dragonborn pack on sale for $75 on a time-limited basis?

Looks like it's the new full-price. Not sure what was up with the "special" sale price.

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    So, hopped on for a minute.

Is there a way to change the camera? It being bound to the mouse like an FPS makes me dizzy. Can it be set?

The game controls like an FPS. I'm not sure if there's a way to change on the camera functions. It takes a bit to get use to, but once you do, it feels very natural.

Big event is starting this afternoon, Siege of Neverwinter. If you're one of those people who just couldn't wait to see this game burn, now's a good time. It looks like Protector's Enclave is going to be all dun fucked up.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/7005153-event-preview:-siege-of-neverwinter

Man, Cryptic sure isn't slowing down when it comes to getting new Modules out for this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEcNR0s9seY