As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] Thanks, Shorten.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Incidentally I had to laugh at Abbots bit about being proud to have two women in the cabinet. Especially since a cursory check (based on names so appologies if I mixed up some of the more ambiguous names) showed labor had 13 female cabinet members (across both houses) out of about 45. Not perfect but alot better than 2.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    So in summary:

Health & Sport: Peter Dutton out, Sussan Ley in.
    Immigration: Scott Morrison out, Peter Dutton in.
    Social Services: Kevin Andrews out, Scott Morrison in.
    Defence: David Johnston out, Kevin Andrews in.
    Minister for Industry renamed to Minister for Industry and Science.

Remainders are secretary reshuffles.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Re Morrision:

From one set of victims to another eh?
    Well he'd already had his fill, better to get some fresh ones.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    The income management card seems even more of a certainty now, given Morrison's bullheadedness.

Don't worry, America. We'll soon know the pain of food stamps too.

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    Holy shit Morrison for social services?
    I'm done.

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Maybe I should I just not come back from my Scotland trip in January.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I legitimately might have to move to Canada

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    And let's not forget this little gem:
    "[Scott Morrison is]...an extremely decent human being"
    :rotate:

• Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Statement of the Honourable Julia Gillard.

I am not a crook!
    Snippet:
    "The Commission’s proceedings on this particular matter have encompassed 11 days of hearings between May and September this year. As a result of requiring a Royal Commission to deal with this matter, the Abbott Government has ensured the expenditure of large amounts of public money"

Good read.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Maybe I should I just not come back from my Scotland trip in January.

Just hang a left on you way back.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    So I bet you are all asking yourselves what Tony Abbott feels is his greatest accomplishment as Minister for Women's Affairs.

If you just said anything other than repealing the carbon tax, you'd be wrong!
    "Well, you know, it is very important to do the right thing by families and households," Mr Abbott replied. "As many of us know, women are particularly focused on the household budget and the repeal of the carbon tax means a $550 a year benefit for the average family."
    In a later interview on Sunrise, Mr Abbott was forced to defend the level of female representation in government. Host Natalie Barr asked the Prime Minister: "With 30 per cent of women in your government aren't you a little bit embarrassed that you only have two women on your frontbench?"

"We have actually seven women on the frontbench," Mr Abbott said. "We have got two cabinet ministers, two outer ministry ministers and three parliamentary secretaries so look, there are women in the corridors of power. This will become more and more the case. The challenge for all of us, Nat, is to get more women into public life, more women into the Parliament [and] once we have got more women in the Parliament, we will have more women in the ministry and more women in the cabinet."

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    ....so where is that $550 then? Because I sure as fuck haven't seen it.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    plufim wrote: »

Don't worry, Gina's looking after it for you.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »

Don't worry, Gina's looking after it for you.

And Gina is a woman!

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    "Well, you know, it is very important to do the right thing by families and households," Mr Abbott replied. "As many of us know, women are particularly focused on the household budget and the repeal of the carbon tax means a $550 a year benefit for the average family."

Oh god go away The 50's go away.

• Options
    "Oh shit, they're saying I'm out of touch with women. Wheel out Bishop!"

The more I've seen online about the reshuffle, the more it feels like it was factional politics in its purest form. Johnston was from WA just as Bishop was, and was apparently a firm ally of hers within the party. His canoe comment was probably the excuse Abbott needed to throw him to the wolves. Additionally, the promotion of two from the Young Liberals faction to secretary positions throws them a bone to stave off their well-documented discontent.

It also may explain Morrison. Until now, his monsterous nature has been directed at immigrants, which are easy for many of the Liberal base to turn a blind eye to. By throwing him into welfare despite a rumoured request to be given defence, Abbott's effectively kneecapping a possible leadership contender by having him manage a portfolio of people that can't be so easily hidden or othered.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Also, fuck the poor.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Well, so much for National's good business sense. They seem to have royally messed up the Sky City convention centre deal. Some people called it at the time but it seems to have got worse
    http://publicaddress.net/hardnews/the-sky-is-the-limit/

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    It also may explain Morrison. Until now, his monsterous nature has been directed at immigrants, which are easy for many of the Liberal base to turn a blind eye to. By throwing him into welfare despite a rumoured request to be given defence, Abbott's effectively kneecapping a possible leadership contender by having him manage a portfolio of people that can't be so easily hidden or othered.

I'll be morbidly curious to see how it pans out... On the one hand it can be disastrous to the Australian society as a whole, but yeah, at the same time he can't exactly go full monster mode against the people on welfare... right? Right?!

Oh and here's some more analysis on the reshuffle

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Takel wrote: »

I'll be morbidly curious to see how it pans out... On the one hand it can be disastrous to the Australian society as a whole, but yeah, at the same time he can't exactly go full monster mode against the people on welfare... right? Right?!

Not unless he wants to be a hero to the Liberal party supporters, no.

• Options
    Merry Christmas from the Victorian labor Party.
    Houses compulsorily acquired to make way for the East West Link could soon be used to accommodate the homeless and needy.

Labor vowed to scrap the controversial road project ahead of the state election and last week ordered the consortium building the tunnel to stop work. Premier Daniel Andrews said on Sunday that the new state government would look at using the vacated homes to accommodate vulnerable people and families as soon as Christmas.

"I'd like people who want to move back into homes to be given the option to do just that," he said. "There are many, many people who need a roof over their head and if we can use these houses to provide support and assistance to some of the most vulnerable in our community then that would be a very good outcome."

Fuck you from the federal Liberal Party.
    As Scott Morrison prepared to step in as Social Services Minister, his new department was contacting housing advocacy groups and other community services providers on Monday to inform them their funding had been cut and contracts with the Commonwealth would be discontinued.

Social Services posted letters responding to requests for grants from the community sector for ongoing and new funding streams after a process first announced in March. The government has previously warned it could satisfy just $800 million of the $3.9 billion in grants requested by the sector. Fairfax Media has learned that all funding to Financial Counselling Australia has been cut, while a number of other community services groups providing emergency accommodation relief lose their funding.

Highlands Community Centres in the NSW southern highlands, which has 450 families on its books and has been serving people in distress for 20 years will no longer receive any federal funding and does not know how it can continue to provide the same service. National Shelter, a peak advocacy group whose mission is to create a "more just housing system, particularly for low-income Australian households" was informed by the Department of Social Services on Monday that it would lose its funding and its three-year contract torn up a year early. The Commonwealth will only continue to fund agreements that it has a legislated duty to fund, such as the National Affordable Housing Agreement with the states under the Council of Australian Governments process.

National Shelter executive officer Adrian Pisarski said it was a cruel blow coming three days before Christmas.

Previously the sector had received about $5 million a year to advocate for low-income households, social housing tenants and the homeless in the notoriously constrained and expensive Australian market.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    What the fucking fuck.

He's in for a day and has already cut funding to housing advocacy groups?

• Options
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I doubt it.
    I saw in the paper this morning that they've allocated the lowest amount of funding to social services yet.
    Clearly abbot put him in this role because he has great experience in handling impossible goals.
    He just turns off those pesky emotions and bobs your uncle, money saved.

This is going to get really bad very quickly.
    Incoming social services minister Scott Morrison has been set an impossible budget target, with Joe Hockey and Finance Minister Mathias Cormann limiting spending growth on welfare next financial year to the lowest on record outside recession recoveries.

A man who holds children hostage has been told he has to perform triage on an entire country.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Are... Are they really cutting support for the homeless literally 2 days before Christmas? Is it to much to hope for the intervention of 3 Christmas ghosts?

• Options
    Road Block wrote: »
    Are... Are they really cutting support for the homeless literally 2 days before Christmas? Is it to much to hope for the intervention of 3 Christmas ghosts?

Calling them cartoon villians would be insulting to cartoons.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/apr/02/coalition-review-of-consumer-laws-may-ban-environmental-boycotts

sigh

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/dec/24/ndis-morrison-says-welfare-clampdown-needed-to-fund-disability-scheme
    Morrison compared the implementation of the NDIS to measures he brought in in his previous role as immigration minister to prevent asylum seekers coming to Australia by boat.

Holy shit he thinks its a good thing. What a sociopath. Complete moral idiot.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Redistribution of the GST flagged by Hockey, despite explicit promises that it wouldn't happen.

WA is predictably singing praises of the Liberals, while Tasmania prepares for an assfucking. Again.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    It's going to be a loooong 2 years before we have a chance to kick these jerks out of power.

And of course they'll never do an early election.

Got to fuck up the country as much as possible so they can blame the next government.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    I'm so confused when I talk politics with Aussies. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground.

Either Abbott is the best thing to happen to "Straya" in years or the Labour government was on the right track but wasn't given enough of a chance.

• Options
    Redistribution of the GST flagged by Hockey, despite explicit promises that it wouldn't happen.

WA is predictably singing praises of the Liberals, while Tasmania prepares for an assfucking. Again.

Colin Barnett has been, currently is, and always will be an irredeemable piece of shit.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Glyph wrote: »
    I'm so confused when I talk politics with Aussies. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground.

Either Abbott is the best thing to happen to "Straya" in years or the Labour government was on the right track but wasn't given enough of a chance.

It's hard to have a middle ground when a party is intent on committing crimes against humanity in your own country. I wish this was hyperbole.

And I'd be extremely wary of anyone singing Abbots praises.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Surely there isn't many if he has such low approval ratings? Or are approval ratings not very accurate?

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Probably talking to west australians. They still love him.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/dec/27/newspoll-shows-support-for-coalition-plunged-across-all-states-in-2014
    The analysis, published by News Corp Australia on Saturday, shows that the Coalition’s primary vote has tumbled 10 points in Victoria and South Australia, nine points in New South Wales, eight points in Queensland and seven points in Western Australia.

In two-party-preferred terms based on preference flows in the 2013 election, Labor leads the Coalition by 60% to 40% in Victoria, by 54% to 46% in both NSW and South Australia and by 52% to 48% in Queensland.

Only in WA does the Coalition have a two-party preferred lead – of 53% to 47%.

Tony Abbott is considered the better prime minister in WA, with a nine-point lead of 43% to 34% and in Queensland with 41% to 39%.

But the opposition leader, Bill Shorten, is ahead in NSW by 40% to 39%, in Victoria by 45% to 33% and in South Australia by 43% to 34%.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Our new immigration minister has made the bold step of changing the three word slogan. Now we can rest safe, knowing that the government will stop the... bikies?
    In a Facebook post shortly before his swearing in at Government House in Canberra, Mr Dutton said tackling illegal motorcycle gangs was at the top of his to-do list.

"If you're an illegal bikie, if you're part of an outlaw motorcycle gang involved in organised criminal activity, you've just made it to the top of my list," Mr Dutton wrote. "Coming to Australia is a privilege and if you're coming here harming Australians, ripping off our welfare system, committing serious crimes, then you're at the top of my list for deporting."

What

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Our new immigration minister has made the bold step of changing the three word slogan. Now we can rest safe, knowing that the government will stop the... bikies?
    In a Facebook post shortly before his swearing in at Government House in Canberra, Mr Dutton said tackling illegal motorcycle gangs was at the top of his to-do list.

"If you're an illegal bikie, if you're part of an outlaw motorcycle gang involved in organised criminal activity, you've just made it to the top of my list," Mr Dutton wrote. "Coming to Australia is a privilege and if you're coming here harming Australians, ripping off our welfare system, committing serious crimes, then you're at the top of my list for deporting."

What

Didn't we give the immigration minister the power to revoke citizenship without review? Can't anyone be made an illegal now?

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/dec/27/newspoll-shows-support-for-coalition-plunged-across-all-states-in-2014
    The analysis, published by News Corp Australia on Saturday, shows that the Coalition’s primary vote has tumbled 10 points in Victoria and South Australia, nine points in New South Wales, eight points in Queensland and seven points in Western Australia.

In two-party-preferred terms based on preference flows in the 2013 election, Labor leads the Coalition by 60% to 40% in Victoria, by 54% to 46% in both NSW and South Australia and by 52% to 48% in Queensland.

Tony Abbott is considered the better prime minister in WA, with a nine-point lead of 43% to 34% and in Queensland with 41% to 39%.

But the opposition leader, Bill Shorten, is ahead in NSW by 40% to 39%, in Victoria by 45% to 33% and in South Australia by 43% to 34%.

Why are the Liberals popular in WA?

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

Why are the Liberals popular in WA?

Because WA thinks if they seceded from Australia that the outcome wouldn't be an even more rapid descent into a 3rd world hellhole as the mining companies bought off the local government and exported all the wealth via corruption.

• Options
    Where the hell does he think he's going to deport them to?