As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Afrika

DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Games and Technology
...holy fucking WOW. O_o

I just stumbled into it's trailer in Youtube. D: How could something like this slip past me?

I haven't been able ANY information about it though. Is it that they haven't released any, or am I just bad in finding info? Well, if it is the former, I doubt that we have anything besides the nice graphics of the game to discuss but damn, those animals look REAL!

Do you think that is cinematic or gameplay?

DarkCrawler on

• PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Didn't they show this at E3 last year? I believe the reaction was something along the lines of "Yep, those are animals."

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The question has always been "so what is it?"

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    A game that will probably become vaporware?

Couscous on
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Arguably the finest rhinoceros based shooter on the PS3.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

It seems like its a virtual safari. No objectives or goals.

BiggNife on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It seems like its basically Pokemon Snap but instead of Pokemon you have Zebras, hippopotami, etc.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    They haven't said one way or the other what this game is going to be about.

edit: but I'd play the hell out of a safari photography simulator.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I still say this game is interesting. That trailer is awesome.

Edit: What just happaned? Did anybody else see that? The last 3 or 4 posts were duplicated like 5 times.

rayofash on
  • NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My vote goes to Tech Demo/Vaporware. *shrug* Looks pretty, though.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    http://www.warcry.com/news/view/69435:
    For people who pre-ordered, Spaight told us at GDC when we met, that a full refund and heartfelt apology is either on the way or coming very soon. They've also cancelled The Chronicle and every other game the company had announced or mentioned except for Africa. They are also going to close down and discontinue MMOCenter.com. Now, with a greater focus, the team is hard at work on Phylon.
    So working on five(!) fucking mmo:s at once, while being a new company ,with 14 or so employees did not work out? I want whatever drugs they are smoking that made them believe it would.

Also Phylon is a gigantic piece of crap, noticed hardly any differences compared to when it was called Endless Ages (or similar). Quake 2 surpasses Phylon as a fps, the mmo-aspect is just slapped on.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    also 'Phylon' is kindof a crappy name

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »

I think it's key that Sony has cornered this rhinoceros based market. Word has it that lemurs and antelope may go multiplatform, but if you see a rhino-based shooter on the 360 this year I'll eat my own cock*

*implying the alpha male of my barnyard fowl collection.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • PifmanPifman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    They spelled Africa wrong.

Pifman on
    PA-Signature.gif
  • wateyadwateyad Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm sure I actually saw another trailer for this at some point that made it look like some sort of fantasy MMO with an African tribal theme.

wateyad on
    edited March 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    mausmalone wrote: »

I think it's key that Sony has cornered this rhinoceros based market. Word has it that lemurs and antelope may go multiplatform, but if you see a rhino-based shooter on the 360 this year I'll eat my own cock*

*implying the alpha male of my barnyard fowl collection.

I think people are all too willing to consume their own genitalia on these boards. I don't leave something like that in the hands of game developers. And you can take that any way you want.

I've played Enter the Matrix, and several CD-i games (yes, including Zelda). These people are not to be trusted with your manhood.

EDIT: I'll eat my own cock if no one ever uses the phrase "I'll eat my own cock" again.

Nickle on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The name itself is just so weird. Africa is a whole damn continent full of countries - it's like naming a game "Europe" or "Central Asia".

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    af-ri-can-li-on-sa-fa-riiiiiiii.

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd actually consider a PS3 strongly if stuff like this was released. The depth of the PS1/PS2 libraries is why I owned them, and this would be the start to a nice trend for the PS3. How recent is that trailer in terms of believing it's real footage and not prerendered?

Lindsay Lohan on
  • LambertLambert Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Does anyone remember the 1up yours podcast around the time of Tokyo Game Show?

They made fun of "Afrika" there (basically of Sony in general the whole show), even the intro music of that episode was changed to joke about it IIRC.

I still think that was the best episode of 1up yours by far. It did seem to help that they were all half asleep (5 in the morning) and very cynical as a result of this (their own words).

Lambert on
  • EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Bambaataa

Etch on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wasn't very impressed until it got to the Cheeta stalking through the grass. That was kinda freaky.

HappylilElf on
  • PkErthbndPkErthbnd Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Naaaaaah suveh-nyah badda veech ee vo vo :whistle:
    Lion King ftw

This looks pretty, but I don't see the point of it, unless it's Pokemon Snap-ish, as mentioned before. That'd be pretty sweet.

PkErthbnd on
  • Dr. ODr. O Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Looks weird as hell. The only thing I can think of is that maybe it's some kind of animal-based MMO.

Dr. O on
  • BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You get to drive a jeep.

Hmmm.

Can you drive a Hippo, though ....

Bearcat on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    GTA: Kenya

LewieP on
    edited March 2007
    Nalouto wrote: »
    af-ri-can-li-on-sa-fa-riiiiiiii.

Are there more of these or are you from southern Ontario? Cause that's the first thing that pops into my head when I see this game. Everytime.

We're goin' to see lions... Only in Kenya

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Did you guys ever play that arcade game where you drove around Africa in a jeep and lassowned helpless animals for no real reason?

I played that for hours.

Bearcat on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like how no-one can wrap their head around a game that doesn't involve shooting or leveling up.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited March 2007
    I hear you level up in Afrika by shooting things. M I Rite?

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like how no-one can wrap their head around a game that doesn't involve shooting or leveling up.

I was just joking, Chibi Robo was one of my favourite games of last gen, its just that we havent actually seen any gameplay so far, just well rendered safari scenes

LewieP on
    edited March 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    I hear you level up in Afrika by shooting things. M I Rite?

Bonus points for endangered species! I hear the ivory market is booming...

Nickle on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That trailer angered me! When the hippo opened it's mouth wide, it's not yawning. Stupid developers thinking the hippo is yawning. They do that when they're being aggressive. Gar!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jelloblimp wrote: »
    http://www.warcry.com/news/view/69435:
    For people who pre-ordered, Spaight told us at GDC when we met, that a full refund and heartfelt apology is either on the way or coming very soon. They've also cancelled The Chronicle and every other game the company had announced or mentioned except for Africa. They are also going to close down and discontinue MMOCenter.com. Now, with a greater focus, the team is hard at work on Phylon.
    So working on five(!) fucking mmo:s at once, while being a new company ,with 14 or so employees did not work out? I want whatever drugs they are smoking that made them believe it would.

Also Phylon is a gigantic piece of crap, noticed hardly any differences compared to when it was called Endless Ages (or similar). Quake 2 surpasses Phylon as a fps, the mmo-aspect is just slapped on.

Completely different game. Afrika is being developed by a Japanese company, Rhino Studios.

Also, I'd say the reason they 'mis-spelt' Africa is because, well, they can copyright 'Afrika' but can't with 'Africa'.

Anyway, it appears to be a photography game where you're not on rails at all (so not really comparable to Pokemon Snap). Phil has also revealed that the player can't kill animals but that animals can kill other animals (so, you can't shoot them but you can watch while a Lion rips apart a Zebra).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sounds pretty boring. Now if the way in which animals killed each other were unique, varied, and unscripted, it might be interesting. It would just be wrong if they gave the animals reproductive organs.

Couscous on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    "Afrika" is actually german for "Africa"

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    That trailer angered me! When the hippo opened it's mouth wide, it's not yawning. Stupid developers thinking the hippo is yawning. They do that when they're being aggressive. Gar!

Maybe he was aggressively tired. Like "Hey, afternoon, I'm going to nap the fuck right out of you!"

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Klyka wrote: »
    "Afrika" is actually german for "Africa"

:shock: AMAZING!

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Sounds pretty boring. Now if the way in which animals killed each other were unique, varied, and unscripted, it might be interesting. It would just be absolutely hilarious if they gave the animals reproductive organs.

Fixed.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Does Afrika have any huge bears? Because I think we can kick this thread up a notch.

Maybe a shark?

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    :|

Cheetahs. Rhinos. Elephants. Lions.

If all you do is snap pics, I'm game. Sounds a bit more relaxing than a normal game. Although, a story/mystery in the vein of The Serpent and the Rainbow/Indigo Prophecy (1st half) would be good.

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol