As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Afrika

• randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    WMain00 wrote: »
    So, can this game basically be summed up as:

Sony presents; yet another game that has no gameplay, nobody understands and nobody will play, exclusive to the PS3!

:?: :winky:
    I'd say that I'm not sure about that and to look at pokemon snap but then again snap has a much better draw. I'd take pictures of pokemon over boring african wildlife any day.

So yeah I doubt anyone will play this. I mean every single post in here has been a sly comment about poachers, underwhelming graphics, lolsony, lolafrica, and everything but "I want this game!"

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I want to see some gameplay, but this looks really cool. I know I'll buy Endless Ocean once I buy a Wii. So yeah, this appeals to me, but I need to know more.

Renzo on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Renzo wrote: »
    I want to see some gameplay, but this looks really cool. I know I'll buy Endless Ocean once I buy a Wii. So yeah, this appeals to me, but I need to know more.

I'm still intrigued by Afrika. Endless Ocean made me really like these kinds of games. There is an Endless Ocean-like game for the PS3, by the way. I can't remember the name, but they put out a single trailer some time ago. It looks gorgeous, and bigger in scope than Endless Ocean. I hope we'll get some new information on that soon; if only I could remember the name. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Threepio wrote: »
    The animals look good but they seem out of place in the half-assed environment.

I was thinking quite the opposite... the cheetah doesn't seem to touch the ground. I don't know if that's an environmental issue or a model issue, but it looks manufactured - and that's not something I would expect to see out of this game. It breaks the illusion for me.

Have you ever seen a real cheetah run?
    It looks pretty surreal in itself. They minimize the time of each paw on the ground when they sprint.

Bearcat on
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Bearcat wrote: »
    Threepio wrote: »
    The animals look good but they seem out of place in the half-assed environment.

I was thinking quite the opposite... the cheetah doesn't seem to touch the ground. I don't know if that's an environmental issue or a model issue, but it looks manufactured - and that's not something I would expect to see out of this game. It breaks the illusion for me.

Have you ever seen a real cheetah run?
    It looks pretty surreal in itself. They minimize the time of each paw on the ground when they sprint.

That's a good point; I just thought that its feet would make more of an impression on the ground as it went. There was no terrain deformation from what I could see.

That's just me being picky, mind you. And I could be entirely wrong, based on what you've said here. This is not an area of my expertise in the slightest.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • EdgieEdgie TampaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxFArfwpjPU

A real Cheetah running. Pretty crazy, eh?

Edgie on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    http://www.siliconera.com/2008/07/31/afrika-aka-hakuna-matata-in-other-regions/
    No worries about this game. It ain't no passing phrase.
    Sony will release their safari photo hunt game, Afrika, in Japan next month. Afrika wasn’t around at E3 and there aren’t any announcements about Sony publishing it in North America. The game will see get a release in Asia, but not under the same name.

Outside of Japan Afrika has been renamed Hakuna Matata. Yes, that’s the same phrase made famous by Timon and Pumbaa in the Lion King. This is interesting since Sony Computer Entertainment Asia usually uses the same marketing materials as Japan. I wonder if this is a sign that the Asian version will have English menus similar to recent first party releases like Siren: New Translation and Echochrome. Unfortunately, the page doesn’t have language details so we’ll have to wait for concrete confirmation. Also unusual is how the game is listed as "Asian Japanese Version". Games get labeled either Asian version or Japanese version. Not both.

Couscous on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well no worries I guess.

The_Scarab on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Disney lawsuit in 5.... 4....

Even if the name wasn't a blatant rip-off of one of the most successful animated movies ever made, what the hell does "no worries" have to do with African photography? The fact that you don't have to screw around with F-stop settings?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • JastJast Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    :lol:

Jast on
    Jast39.png
    edited July 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Even if the name wasn't a blatant rip-off of one of the most successful animated movies ever made, what the hell does "no worries" have to do with African photography? The fact that you don't have to screw around with F-stop settings?

Disney didn't make up the phrase so it isn't illegal.

Couscous on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hakuna Matata is Kenya's 'national slogan'

LewieP on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

It means problem-free photography

Hakuna Matata

Renzo on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    titmouse wrote: »

Disney didn't make up the phrase so it isn't illegal.

No, but the case could be made to a jury that the phrase is never, ever used here outside the context of a smart-ass meerkat and a farting warthog.

Hey, juries have given awards based on weaker legal premises.

Edit: Goddammit Renzo, now I'm singing that phrase in my head.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited July 2008
    Like Asian countries have ever had any copyright laws that weren't easily circumvented.

Couscous on
  • KeptinKeptin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Was I the only one hoping this would be a game where you play as a cheetah? Stalking prey, growing larger, and eventually eating tourists? I look forward to the day when I can play a truly emersive man-eating cheetah simulator.

Keptin on
    edited July 2008
    Keptin wrote: »
    Was I the only one hoping this would be a game where you play as a cheetah? Stalking prey, growing larger, and eventually eating tourists? I look forward to the day when I can play a truly emersive man-eating cheetah simulator.

Oh shit I had a brilliant family guy gif for this exact scenario. The one where the tiger is chasing the tiny children. then it starts running faster and faster and faster. so fucking funny.

The_Scarab on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Keptin wrote: »

Oh shit I had a brilliant family guy gif for this exact scenario. The one where the tiger is chasing the tiny children. then it starts running faster and faster and faster. so fucking funny.

Wasn't that show's title something along the lines of Fast Predators, Slow Children? Either way, that was a classic.

"Come on guys wait up! Oh man I spilled honey all over myself" -cut to cheetah picking up speed-

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited July 2008
    Yes. Oh man family guy is pretty mediocre most of the time but that was genuinely fucking hilarious.

the drum beat was what made it. and the ridiculous tiger face.

The_Scarab on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited July 2008
    hahahahaha oh man it still cracks me up.

The_Scarab on
    edited August 2008
    Couscous on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yes.. I suspect Far Cry 2 will better-serve my safari needs.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I absolutely cannot wait for this game. I wish they'd announce an American release date.

Too bad our European friends aren't getting it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is.. . is that a commercial of people. . . falling asleep to the game?

Burtletoy on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's funny that they're trying to call it Hakuna Matata because everytime I see this game, I think of the safari tour in Animal Kingdom.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    titmouse wrote: »

The Collectors Edition comes with a kit to turn your PS3 into a pillow.

The game looks interesting, but I can't see that ad as an effective means of selling anything related to entertainment.

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!! You'll pay for your seat, but you'll only need the floor.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Nickle wrote: »
    SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!! You'll pay for your seat, but you'll only need the *yawn*....the...fl...

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thread...Wise fwom your gwabe!!

So I bought this game brand new/unopened off Ebay from a guy in Hong Kong, and it just arrived this morning. It's the Chinese version that is both has both Chinese and English languages in manual and in game. I put the game in and it automatically chose English for me. (nice)

The graphics are every bit as good as those videos, (it's a lot more polished than I expected) and the photography side of things is actually very cool.
    I'd go as far to say that if you have any interest in photography at all...you'd enjoy this...it really rewards you for taking good photos. (rule of thirds actually applies here, unlike say...pokemon snap) You start off with basically a learners camera, and then can buy better stuff later as you make enough cash.

My first email stated that a water bottling company wanted a photo of a giraffe drinking water for their promotion. (I went out messing around before this to get used to the camera stuff, and took a photo of a giraffe for the hell of it, and apparently this company liked it and wanted to hire me) So I accepted the job and jump into the jeep to head to the nearest watering hole. I saw some giraffes nearby, found a nice position nearby to get a shot from, and waited. I noticed that other animals (zebras) were coming by sooner, so I photographed them while I waited, after all, you get paid for any photos as long as they're good. I hear some footsteps getting closer, and turn to see that a giraffe was heading in for a drink....I set my zoom, made sure focus was good and that the giraffe was in frame and snapped my shot.
    There's a weird sense of accomplishment when you get a really nice shot. You go back to base camp, and email your photos in, and they get rated on how good your angle, substance, technique, etc. Then you receive payment based on that. New camera equipment is really costly, so you want to make as much as possible.

I like the whole tilting the controller sideways to fit taller animals in frame, or even get some nice sunlit clouds in there for dramatic effect...I would actually been disappointed if they didn't do that.

The music is terrifically African, upbeat, and a lot of the time peaceful. I've put a few hours in so far, and I'm really like it as a diversion from games like Killzone 2 and the like.

I own a Wii as well, and purchased Endless Ocean for about $10 off my neighbor. I like it too, but Hakuna Matata has much more meat to it. You really feel like a wildlife photographer out there trying to get the best photo.
    I was concerned, I'll admit, that it was going to be stupid, but I'm pleasantly surprised so far. I'm not sure waht else to say, since I'm not that far in, but I can definitely say I like it. :^:

Doo do, do dee doo doo...
    afrika_scee.jpg

Scotty on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Did anyone else take one look a the thread title and imagine an apocalyptic urban shooter?

I feel vaguely cheated.

Pretty furry things, though.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I kind of want to try this now. When's it coming out in north america?

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    edited March 2009
    Reznik wrote: »
    I kind of want to try this now. When's it coming out in north america?

Well, the Africa game that National Geographic was supposed to published has been removed from their release list...
    http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/formats/playstation3/where-s-afrika-national-geographic-removes-it-from-their-website-$1275815.htm

Couscous on
    edited March 2009
    Scotty wrote: »
    Thread...Wise fwom your gwabe!!

So I bought this game brand new/unopened off Ebay from a guy in Hong Kong, and it just arrived this morning. It's the Chinese version that is both has both Chinese and English languages in manual and in game. I put the game in and it automatically chose English for me. (nice)

The graphics are every bit as good as those videos, (it's a lot more polished than I expected) and the photography side of things is actually very cool.
    I'd go as far to say that if you have any interest in photography at all...you'd enjoy this...it really rewards you for taking good photos. (rule of thirds actually applies here, unlike say...pokemon snap) You start off with basically a learners camera, and then can buy better stuff later as you make enough cash.

My first email stated that a water bottling company wanted a photo of a giraffe drinking water for their promotion. (I went out messing around before this to get used to the camera stuff, and took a photo of a giraffe for the hell of it, and apparently this company liked it and wanted to hire me) So I accepted the job and jump into the jeep to head to the nearest watering hole. I saw some giraffes nearby, found a nice position nearby to get a shot from, and waited. I noticed that other animals (zebras) were coming by sooner, so I photographed them while I waited, after all, you get paid for any photos as long as they're good. I hear some footsteps getting closer, and turn to see that a giraffe was heading in for a drink....I set my zoom, made sure focus was good and that the giraffe was in frame and snapped my shot.
    There's a weird sense of accomplishment when you get a really nice shot. You go back to base camp, and email your photos in, and they get rated on how good your angle, substance, technique, etc. Then you receive payment based on that. New camera equipment is really costly, so you want to make as much as possible.

I like the whole tilting the controller sideways to fit taller animals in frame, or even get some nice sunlit clouds in there for dramatic effect...I would actually been disappointed if they didn't do that.

The music is terrifically African, upbeat, and a lot of the time peaceful. I've put a few hours in so far, and I'm really like it as a diversion from games like Killzone 2 and the like.

I own a Wii as well, and purchased Endless Ocean for about $10 off my neighbor. I like it too, but Hakuna Matata has much more meat to it. You really feel like a wildlife photographer out there trying to get the best photo.
    I was concerned, I'll admit, that it was going to be stupid, but I'm pleasantly surprised so far. I'm not sure waht else to say, since I'm not that far in, but I can definitely say I like it. :^:

Doo do, do dee doo doo...
    afrika_scee.jpg

Damn it, got BOTP'd....

**edit** Damn it again...got beat'd, and by a more informative answer. :p

Anyhow, I ot sick of wondering, and got it imported.
    It only cost me $45 total, which is cheaper than it'd be here anyhow.

Scotty on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hmm... I may have to snag it from Play Asia, then, once I get AC:Complete.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    edited March 2009

Play-Asia has been sold out forever, or at least it's said that it's out of stock for that long.:|
    That's why I went the Ebay route...cheaper too. ;)

Scotty on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

That's what I was going to do. No idea if this is coming Stateside, and it doesn't seem like it is, but Play-Asia has a Chinese/English version of it on their site that I could order. I also want Aquanaut's Holiday for the Playstation 3, another game like Afrika but takes place in the ocean and is absolutely gorgeous. If you've played Endless Ocean for the Wii you'll have an idea of what it's like. That one doesn't seem to be coming here, either, but once again Play-Asia has a Chinese/English version. Thank you China and thank you Playstation 3 for not being region locked!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    Well, the Africa game that National Geographic was supposed to published has been removed from their release list...

Yeah, that's strange. I would believe that Sony would push this game, as Endless Ocean has proven that there is demand for nature exploration games. Of course, there is fair chance that NG had put game on the list early, and only now noticed it.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
    edited March 2009
    I just looked on Ebay, and man, it's already getting more costly. Hmmm...people in Hong Kong know something we don't? Glad I got mine...whew.
    Now I'm thinking that I should grab up Aquanauts Holiday too. I liked Endless Ocean, but after seeing Hakuna Matata running in person, if Aquanauts Holiday is at the same level...sign me the hell up.

Scotty on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    elkatas wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

Yeah, that's strange. I would believe that Sony would push this game, as Endless Ocean has proven that there is demand for nature exploration games. Of course, there is fair chance that NG had put game on the list early, and only now noticed it.

Goddamnit. I never had much faith that NatGeo would step up to the plate as far as publishing goes, but it's still disappointing to know the only way I'll get my hands on Afrika is to import. Ah well ^.^ I like getting mail from China, at least.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm looking at the mo for this, don't suppose anyone has any hints where to order it from the uk do they?

Other than ebay.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch