As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Afrika

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah Play-Asia won't ship to the UK, but from what I hear PAL gamers go to a site called yesAsia.com. Could have a hyphen in there, it's been a while. But it's always the site I hear about when folks complain that Play-Asia won't ship to them.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wow, so both Afrika and Aquanauts have full English text? Hot dog! If I knew that I would have hunted them a lot sooner.

Edit: Is the translation actually competent?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Wow, so both Afrika and Aquanauts have full English text? Hot dog! If I knew that I would have hunted them a lot sooner.

Edit: Is the translation actually competent?

Yup.:^:
    No Engrish here. (Not that I've seen anyhow, seems perfect)

If you look at Play-Asia...they don't actually have it. It's seriously said back ordered-will ship when available for like a year now.:|

Scotty on
    edited March 2009
    I just discovered that better cameras have the ability to focus by gently pressing (half pressing) the shutter button. (R1 trigger) It really is like your controller IS a camera. The first camera you start with is just an automatic, but I'd assume that as you move onto more complicated SLR's, you have more control over aperture settings. Also, apparently when you buy the longer telephoto lenses, you have to be more wary of camera shake. Cripes, it's hard enough to keep the photo in focus as it is sometimes...awesome. You do have a tool chest back at the base camp for for cameras and lenses, and another for actual photography tools...like maybe a tripod? (would be nice)

This game gets better all the time.

Earlier in the thread, there was a complaint concerning the Hippos, and how they are represented as yawning when they open their mouths wide. (in the trailer anyhow) Must have been the marketing departments screw up, because in the game, they only do that when they are actually aggravated and are warning you to step off or else. (found out the hard way on that one) **EDIT** Turns out that there's one email that wants you to get a photo of a Hippo yawning...lame, but whatever.**EDIT**

I'm looking forward to my first BIG GAME shoot...don't know what it'll be like yet, but since the game has a section for replaying them anytime after you've completed them...must be special.

Not quite as in-depth as this I'm sure...
    07586-1.jpg

Scotty on
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That sounds pretty awesome. :D

DarkCrawler on
    edited March 2009
    It is pretty great. There's online too, where you can upload your best photos for others to see, and they even have contests from time to time. The interface is very polished especially in the laptop part of the game...has real footage of an animal playing in the corner of the laptop screen doing what the client is wanting you to photo. Pretty cool.
    You also have a GPS and binoculars...the latter is great for making sure that where you're driving to actually has what you are looking for. Since the game has a nice "heat wave" effect to it when things are in the distance, and they can be hard to distinguish because of it.
    I'm finding that the camera I have right now (the first one) is pretty lame. It has shit zoom capabilities, and I'm finding that I'm having to really get close for that "great shot". I'm wondering how the game will get more difficult when I start getting better equipment? Maybe the subjects get more difficult to shoot due to their rarity, or how skittish they are, or dangerous?

Have to see... I'm going to put some decent time into it today, just to see if I can confirm some things I've heard, and let you guys know. I'd hate to have you import it, and then not enjoy it.

Off to the Savannah!

Scotty on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Scotty wrote: »
    I just discovered that better cameras have the ability to focus by gently pressing (half pressing) the shutter button. (R1 trigger) It really is like your controller IS a camera. The first camera you start with is just an automatic, but I'd assume that as you move onto more complicated SLR's, you have more control over aperture settings. Also, apparently when you buy the longer telephoto lenses, you have to be more wary of camera shake. Cripes, it's hard enough to keep the photo in focus as it is sometimes...awesome. You do have a tool chest back at the base camp for for cameras and lenses, and another for actual photography tools...like maybe a tripod? (would be nice)

Don't you dare tell me that the camera shake's controlled by Sixaxis movements. I want this game too hard already.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    elkatas wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Well, the Africa game that National Geographic was supposed to published has been removed from their release list...

Yeah, that's strange. I would believe that Sony would push this game, as Endless Ocean has proven that there is demand for nature exploration games. Of course, there is fair chance that NG had put game on the list early, and only now noticed it.

This assumes that Sony knows how to effectively cater to casuals. If you're wondering the answer to that question, allow me to point you to Home.

Anyway, this sucks. The description makes it sound pretty interesting and good for a rent. Though I doubt I'd be able to rent from Hong Kong. Also I'd need a PS3.

Sure, it may come over here eventually, but considering it's already been localized there's really no reason to delay it, so the continued non-appearance is a bad sign.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited March 2009
    Ok guys, I've played a bit more, and got a better camera....and uh...Holy Wow.

This game is a LOT better than I thought, as the new camera I got is a Sony (obviously) a100 Digital SLR, but it also comes with pretty-much every feature the real-life DSLR has. This includes being careful of Camera Shake.

You can change lenses on the fly.

Hit the menu button and BAM, it has full camera menu including these settings you can tweak...

Depth of Field
    Exposure Mode
    Aperture Value
    Shutter Speed
    Exposure Comp.
    Eye-Start AF
    Choice of Color or Black and White mode
    Continuous Shooting (this one I got can only do a 3 shot per burst at 1 time, but I assume newer cameras will improve on this, gonna be important for chases)

This all means that you need to TRY to get a good photo, this is no point and shoot game. (Well it can be, just set the camera to Automatic and you'll "get by", but the game states that to get the REALLY nice shots, you need to use the cameras settings or the photo will always be a bit blurry, and mediocre) I've taken a couple of trial shots of a monkey near the base camp, and messing around with the settings. Had some very blurry shots, tweaked a setting, and the colors came out better, but still blurry and too bright...sped up the shutter speed, held it still as I could and voila, crystal clear photo. (much nicer than the previous camera the game starts you with, I'll admit that I was disappointed when it seemed that the photos were not crisp, BUT not an issue now)

I went onto the online part of it, and checked out other people's photos, and man, there's some beautiful shots to be taken in this game, and not of just animals either...spoilered just in case.
    Tribes people with proper native clothing, spear and everything...which makes me wonder if you can get a shot of them hunting something too, or if they end up being just a guide or whatever.

Guys, this game is a gem, and should not be ignored.

Scotty on
    edited March 2009
    Damn you. It's 5pm and I have to wait until tomorrow to see if my local import shop has it.

Willeth on
    edited March 2009
    They need to make a Jurassic Park type game just like this...imagine.

The one thing that pisses me off so far is the driver, he takes you to specific spots, and sometimes not where you'd want to go. (maybe so that you learn the map...I dunno) I can't wait until I'm in charge of the driving.

Scotty on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    scotty you just sold me on this game so hard. hopefully it will ever come out in the US.

edit: also play-asia does have this http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-70-2r6r.html ships in 1-5 days

Ah_Pook on
    edited March 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    scotty you just sold me on this game so hard. hopefully it will ever come out in the US.

edit: also play-asia does have this http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-70-2r6r.html ships in 1-5 days

Make sure that's the Chinese/English version...or you'l be stuck not having a clue what people are saying in it. (it'll be Japanese all the way)

**EDIT**
    Yeah...this one. The one that has said backordered for like...forever.:(
    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-15-hakuna+matata-70-33h6-43-bm.html

Just made enough cash to buy myself a tent...no more going back to base camp at night for Scotty. :)
    Also had my first Big Game assignment...Take awesome photo of a Cheetah taking down some prey.
    It was pretty damn exhilarating I gotta say. That thing moves, and the animation in this game is just stellar.

Scotty on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hmm... I'm gonna be heading to Toronto on April 24th for 5 days... are there any places there where I might be able to pick this thing up? Looks like Play-Asia won't have it for a while, and there's no place in my town that I could get to order it for me...

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    edited March 2009
    Yeah I've almost bought it twice today, but each time the cost has scared me away.

Willeth on
    edited March 2009
    Last time I was in T.O. I went with some buddies into a local mall in the Chinese district.
    There's lots of stores in places like that, they might carry it. Plus, you're almost guaranteed to get the right version then. (Being Chinese and all)

Other than that, I don't really know.

Ebay can be costly but, this auction is what I payed for mine. (arrived at my door in just over a week)
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200321316143&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

Scotty on
    edited March 2009
    You can climb trees to get a bird's eye view, or to get an eye-to-eye with a giraffe. You also can whistle to get the animal to look at you for a shot. (just a couple new tidbits) Sorry, I've fallen in love with this game.:P

Scotty on
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just ordered it finally. Been putting this off for sometime, but it reached a boiling point.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This is one of the games that sold me on a PS3, and the fact that it hasn't gotten a release outside of Aisa annoys me a lot. I guess I'll have to order a copy. But then, I know as soon as I order a copy, a new release will happen with something new that I want.

-Loki- on
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, it's worth the import.
    I spent some time just watching some elephants in a large swampy area last night. They were in the distance and kinda blurry, so I drove up onto a nearby dry area near some termite mounds, and pulled out the binoculars. I could then see them clear as crystal. I honked the horn a couple times, and they looked in my direction. (awesome) They then started to swing their trunks, and look agitated. I watched as they began to move more into my direction. I drove closer, and waited as they made there way out of the swamp, and as a big group they walked right past me, some keeping an eye on the younger ones, and one specific large elephant seemed to be guiding them all along. It had longer tusks, and kept watching me with it's ears flaired out, just in case I might come closer. They continued on into the setting sun, and I took a few photos because it just looked fantastic.
    The sun went down, and I set-up camp for the night. (with campfire and everything) Went through my photos from the day, and deleted the crappy ones. Went to bed in the tent, and drove back to the main base camp to upload my photos in the morning.

It was really cool.

I don't want to hype it too much for fear that you guys won't like it, but I sincerely believe that you'll love it too. It's a terrifically relaxing way to wind down after a long day. (Or be addicted to during the day)
    I've put in about 5 hours so far, and I can tell that I have hardly scratched the surface. (there's arrows leading in 2 separate direction on the corners of the map, meaning that there's obviously other areas to go into that are equally as big. I tried to go there, but the girl who rides around with me said they they didn't have the maps yet for those areas. Have to check later then.

Maybe I'll take some photos of it running on my tv later (I have a good camera, and the tv is a 40" Samsung 1080p) and post them up...title screen, some animals, day-night comparisons. (If you like...give me requests for what you may be curious about. Maybe think of some stuff that hasn't been really shown online in screenshots before?)

Scotty on
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, it's worth the import.
    I spent some time just watching some elephants in a large swampy area last night. They were in the distance and kinda blurry, so I drove up onto a nearby dry area near some termite mounds, and pulled out the binoculars. I could then see them clear as crystal. I honked the horn a couple times, and they looked in my direction. (awesome) They then started to swing their trunks, and look agitated. I watched as they began to move more into my direction. I drove closer, and waited as they made there way out of the swamp, and as a big group they walked right past me, some keeping an eye on the younger ones, and one specific large elephant seemed to be guiding them all along. It had longer tusks, and kept watching me with it's ears flaired out, just in case I might come closer. They continued on into the setting sun, and I took a few photos because it just looked fantastic.
    The sun went down, and I set-up camp for the night. (with campfire and everything) Went through my photos from the day, and deleted the crappy ones. Went to bed in the tent, and drove back to the main base camp to upload my photos in the morning.

It was really cool.

I don't want to hype it too much for fear that you guys won't like it, but I sincerely believe that you'll love it too. It's a terrifically relaxing way to wind down after a long day. (Or be addicted to during the day)
    I've put in about 5 hours so far, and I can tell that I have hardly scratched the surface. (there's arrows leading in 2 separate direction on the corners of the map, meaning that there's obviously other areas to go into that are equally as big. I tried to go there, but the girl who rides around with me said they they didn't have the maps yet for those areas. Have to check later then.

Maybe I'll take some photos of it running on my tv later (I have a good camera, and the tv is a 40" Samsung 1080p) and post them up...title screen, some animals, day-night comparisons. (If you like...give me requests for what you may be curious about. Maybe think of some stuff that hasn't been really shown online in screenshots before?)

Jesus Christ, why isn't this game not available without import? That sounds like everything I have ever wanted. D:

How big is the game area?

DarkCrawler on
  • PhoneBonePhoneBone Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I had conveniently forgotten this existed, but after reading these impressions I could no longer resist its call. I really enjoy relaxing games like Endless Ocean and for fear of this game getting even more scarce and expensive, I just bit the bullet. Ebay'd so hard.

I live in Europe so costly games don't scare me at all. I still got this about 20 euro's cheaper than most PAL PS3 games so it's all good. Anyone know if it's possible at all to access the pictures you've taken outside the game?

Edit: Maybe I should have searched before asking that last question. Apparently you can export as 672x448 pixel PNGs.

PhoneBone on
    dansig.gif
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Are there any plans for a north american release of this? How do I get this game in Canada?

Dissociater on
    edited March 2009
    PhoneBone wrote: »
    Edit: Maybe I should have searched before asking that last question. Apparently you can export as 672x448 pixel PNGs.

Oh for fuck's sake. I do not have the money to buy this game right now. Someone lend me forty quid.

Willeth on
    edited March 2009
    **Great experiences with game**

Jesus Christ, why isn't this game not available without import? That sounds like everything I have ever wanted. D:

How big is the game area?

Hard to say the size of the first map...maybe I'll take a photo of it. Probably easiest way to show it.

Phonebone...yes. When going online, (in game) it appears to go to an actual website for the game, have to check to be sure myself.

Dissociater- Nope, that's why I imported myself. (I live in Canada too)

Scotty on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Still determined to get this but a little short of cash at present. The only thing I've been let down by graphically in the videos is the water effects, they broke the illusion for me a little when it appears half a hippo is just swallowed up by an almost solid sheet of water.

Do they look better in game? It's certainly not a deal breaker for me and I'm looking forward to grabbing this.

Also I want Aquanauts Holiday. I've become such a "non gamer" by all accounts.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • KylogueKylogue Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    PhoneBone wrote: »

Oh for fuck's sake. I do not have the money to buy this game right now. Someone lend me forty quid.

I'd lend it to you, but you're a cooler uncle than me!

Seriously though, where are you getting this from? I saw that playasia doesn't post this game to the UK... Savygamer needs a deal on this ASAP!

Kylogue on
    360 GT: Ixtil
    PSN: Kylogue
    edited March 2009
    Damn, I forget the website now. Rioku, maybe. Or is that a Pokémon?

I'll dig through my history when I get home and pull it up. YesAsia have it with free shipping but it works out more expensive than this other place with shipping.

I've also asked my local import shop what price they can do.

EDIT: It's http://www.renchi.com.

Willeth on
    edited March 2009
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Still determined to get this but a little short of cash at present. The only thing I've been let down by graphically in the videos is the water effects, they broke the illusion for me a little when it appears half a hippo is just swallowed up by an almost solid sheet of water.

Do they look better in game? It's certainly not a deal breaker for me and I'm looking forward to grabbing this.

Also I want Aquanauts Holiday. I've become such a "non gamer" by all accounts

I totally get that.

Oh, and the water is transparent, I just checked. I was watching the elephants again, and you could see their feet under the water as they walked.:^:

I just NOW figured out that you can switch between 3rd person and 1st person by hitting "start". I seriously didn't even realize.:lol:

Scotty on
  • iMattiMatt Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I got mine from yesasia.com - and I can also vouch for the awesomeness of this title!

iMatt on
    edited March 2009
    Sigh.

A&C Games in Toronto can only get the Japanese version for $79.99

Guess I'll have to keep waiting on Play-Asia...

Reznik on
    Forget it...
    edited March 2009
    You can get the English/Chinese one for that on Ebay right now.:P

Anyhow, here's some photos I took off my TV...there a bit of compression due to switch to a format not so large, but still...

Title Screen
    Hakuna_title_screen.gif

Map - 3 separate areas of Africa. The bottom one is where you start, I haven't unlocked the left one yet. Each area is pretty big, not actual size obviously, but big enough that it takes a good enough amount of time to get from one end to the other. (I'm sure everyone's idea of this differs, but I'm happy enough with it)
    Hakuna_Map.gif

Laptop
    Hakuna_Laptop.gif

Laptop Interface
    Hakuna_3.gif

Example of Email...the video on the right is actual footage of the animal you're to photograph. (nice touch)
    Hakuna_Email_example.gif

My photos screen, notice how it shows on the left the camera settings that were used when the highlighted photo was taken, and where. (Also keep in mind that these screens look WAY clearer in person, they've got some compression pixellation from me converting them over from RAW format)
    Hakuna_Saved_Photos.gif

Now a few photos...uncompressed. (If that's alright...they are a bit larger in filesize obviously, just wanted them to look how they do for real)

Out on the Duma Steppe in the Jeep...
    Hakuna_on_the_Duma_Steppe.jpg

Elephants through binoculars...the motion blur at the ears is because of them waving them while I took it.
    Hakuna_Elephants.jpg

Sunset just before it disappears...very red.
    Hakuna_Sunset.jpg

Scotty on
    edited March 2009
    I don't have an eBay account or paypal or anything, and I need to make sure there's enough cash left on my prepaid credit card for Advent Children Complete...

I think I'm just going to see if my brother can get it off eBay, then I'll send him the money. I really want this game. It looks gorgeous.

This is also the exact kind of game that you show off to your parents and grandparents so they don't think you play those 'murder simulators' all day

Reznik on
    Forget it...
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    Damn, I forget the website now. Rioku, maybe. Or is that a Pokémon?

I'll dig through my history when I get home and pull it up. YesAsia have it with free shipping but it works out more expensive than this other place with shipping.

I've also asked my local import shop what price they can do.

EDIT: It's http://www.renchi.com.

I tried a couple of places in Leeds and had no luck sadly. Guess I'm going to have to plump for grabbing it online.

Cheapest place I've seen up to now is probably ebay.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited March 2009
    Renchi is about the same as eBay prices.

I just caved and ordered. Going to my home address instead of my current address so I won't get distracted from my work straight away. Also it's an excuse to visit home and be like CHECK OUT THIS AWESOME SAFARI GAME MAW

Willeth on
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So no scheduled NA release, even on PSN? I'm interested, but not $80 interested.

Torso Boy on
    edited March 2009
    Okay, so it turns out that though the map in the photo I posted above shows 3 areas, it doesn't show that there's actually other areas too. I unlocked 3 areas, but now there's another that it says I don't have the map for yet. So yeah, there's more than 3 by the looks of it...which is great.:^:

I'm hoping for some highlands with gorillas maybe...I'd have this games babies if it had Gorillas.:P

Scotty on
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Do I get to hunt the animals?

chasehatesbears on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

i dont think this game is for you.

Ah_Pook on
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

i dont think this game is for you.

There's a jeep.

Can I hit an animal with the jeep? Can I chase them?

Or is there no interaction with them?

chasehatesbears on