As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why the hell don't we have a [Mad Men] thread? (past season SPOILERS)

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Also, Peter is basically Don with charisma as the dump stat.

And hey, does anyone find the weekly previews for Mad Men to be among the most useless and uninformative things ever? My wife and I burst into laughter after each one, because it's 30 seconds of non sequitors strung together for no reason. It's not even like they take reaction shots and remove the context - it just seems like someone selected dialogue with a random number generator and cut it together.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

And hey, does anyone find the weekly previews for Mad Men to be among the most useless and uninformative things ever? My wife and I burst into laughter after each one, because it's 30 seconds of non sequitors strung together for no reason. It's not even like they take reaction shots and remove the context - it just seems like someone selected dialogue with a random number generator and cut it together.

Kindred spirits! We do the same thing. We actually look forward to the previews after each episode just to see if they can keep up the string of sequences that have nothing to do with one another. I think some kind of preview savant creates them just to fuck with viewers.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    The thing is that, while Pete tries to be Don, even Don isn't Don. Don Draper is just another unfulfilling product, another illusion of happiness, that he's successfully sold to others.

I mean look at this past episode
    and how he crumples when his lover decides she isn't playing along anymore. She's decided to give up the playful fantasy and return home, to her real life, but Don can't do the same because be doesn't have a real life. Everything he's done, the marriage, the kids, the confidence he shows, is the culmination of a series of a calculated, often hollow gestures made under the umbrella of a larger deceit.

And at his core, I think Don still thinks of himself as Dick and feels a degree of detachment from everything that happens to him as Don, which insulates him from risks but also insulates him from the emotional experiences he's apparently searching for. Every good thing happens to someone else, the doppelgänger he invented for himself, not to him.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    In this last episode, I was wondering if
    Don was deliberately sabotaging the relationship, because he wanted to be a good and faithful husband. This, based on his earlier comments about not wanting to be with her. I thought maybe he didn't have the strength to give her up, but he could try to drive her away instead. Except the way he acted after she said she was leaving didn't fit that theory well. I was hoping for some kind of Don Draper Moral Victory, and was disappointed. Not disappointed with the episode, which I thought was good, just disappointed in him.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F9fsxhWvlkQ

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Oh man, the random Will Arnett clip just made that.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular

The historical answer that I've heard is "Matthew Weiner hates spoilers and refuses to reveal any plot points before the episode airs". Whether or not there's any truth to that, I've never checked.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    That's actually entirely defensible, if true.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Don was deliberately sabotaging the relationship, because he wanted to be a good and faithful husband. This, based on his earlier comments about not wanting to be with her. I thought maybe he didn't have the strength to give her up, but he could try to drive her away instead. Except the way he acted after she said she was leaving didn't fit that theory well. I was hoping for some kind of Don Draper Moral Victory, and was disappointed. Not disappointed with the episode, which I thought was good, just disappointed in him.

I was ascribing somewhat darker motives to Don (last episode spoilers):
    Rather than trying to sabotage his affair, it seemed like he was trying to assert control over Sylvia after her husband moved out, and it backfired on him. It seems that Don needs to be in complete control of a relationship (especially since he's lost his previous level of control at work, see for example Peggy leaving), and that his lack of control over Megan once she actually started succeeding at acting is what motivated him to cheat on her.

Of course, my reading of those scenes was also influenced by Jon Hamm reading his lines like something out of "Fifty Shades Of Mad Men".

Lawndart on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    They are absolutely hilarious. I get the feeling he's mostly trying to convey the tone of the episode and maybe let people know who is gonna be in the next one

• Options
    "The tone of the next episode will be sort of Mad-Men-y. It will feature the cast of Mad Men."

• Options
    Lawndart wrote: »

I was ascribing somewhat darker motives to Don (last episode spoilers):
    Rather than trying to sabotage his affair, it seemed like he was trying to assert control over Sylvia after her husband moved out, and it backfired on him. It seems that Don needs to be in complete control of a relationship (especially since he's lost his previous level of control at work, see for example Peggy leaving), and that his lack of control over Megan once she actually started succeeding at acting is what motivated him to cheat on her.

Of course, my reading of those scenes was also influenced by Jon Hamm reading his lines like something out of "Fifty Shades Of Mad Men".

Don had the opportunity to control Megan completely, though. If he hadn't given her that national commercial last season, she wouldn't have a career now and would be resigned to just being Don's domestic sex toy.

That's not to say he's okay with her success. It's implied that he began cheating immediately after she got the commercial, so it seems like her success did reopen that void in him.

But he enabled that success, so I think there is a degree of self-sabotage to Don's behavior.

• Options
    All I get out of the preview is knowing whether or not I'll have to put up with Betty next week.

And of course I shed a tear for Salvatore's continued absence.

• Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    It is shameful we didn't previously have a mad men thread. It's a SHAMEFUL SHAMEFUL DAY

We DO have a mad men thread! Guess who made it 5 years ago!

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/70450/mad-men/p1

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Yeah, count me as another who absolutely hates the teasers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    I love them. They're hilarious in their randomness and complete lack of information. They come across as AMC forcing Mad Men to have some sort of teaser despite Matt Weiner's secrecy about future plotlines, and Weiner or whoever cuts them just cutting the most ridiculous, unhelpful thing ever.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    After this many seasons I've grown to appreciate how the teasers manage to make completely context-free snippets seem tense and important, even though in the context of an episode those moments can (and usually do) mean absolutely nothing. Once I gave up on them actually signifying anything about the next episode, they became much more entertaining, especially once you realize they could just run the exact same teaser after every single episode and it'd be just as fitting.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    I'd find them more hilarious if they were more obvious. Like have 15 seconds of intercut characters drinking liquor. Or just saying the first half of words. Or the gaping mouth pauses between words in a dramatic sentence.

edit: I know what I am doing when I get home tonight.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    The thing is that, while Pete tries to be Don, even Don isn't Don. Don Draper is just another unfulfilling product, another illusion of happiness, that he's successfully sold to others.

I mean look at this past episode
    and how he crumples when his lover decides she isn't playing along anymore. She's decided to give up the playful fantasy and return home, to her real life, but Don can't do the same because be doesn't have a real life. Everything he's done, the marriage, the kids, the confidence he shows, is the culmination of a series of a calculated, often hollow gestures made under the umbrella of a larger deceit.

And at his core, I think Don still thinks of himself as Dick and feels a degree of detachment from everything that happens to him as Don, which insulates him from risks but also insulates him from the emotional experiences he's apparently searching for. Every good thing happens to someone else, the doppelgänger he invented for himself, not to him.

"it's my birthday. . ."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    I love them. They're hilarious in their randomness and complete lack of information. They come across as AMC forcing Mad Men to have some sort of teaser despite Matt Weiner's secrecy about future plotlines, and Weiner or whoever cuts them just cutting the most ridiculous, unhelpful thing ever.
    My wife and I love them as well.

Compare to Nurse Jackie where the preview is a full plot synopsis and you're left thinking "Great, I guess I don't have to watch it now?"

• Options
    Yeah those were weird, you literally saw the resolution in the preview.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    So...this might be a dumb, or even purposeless question, but...I kind of want to know where people think Mad Men is going. As a series.

It started out as a refreshingly effective take on a relatively overlooked portion of social strata in a particular part of the twentieth century, and has, over the seasons, readily built a stable of characters who have grown and aged together. Watching Pete chat with Harry this week I really got the sense that the two of them have settled into somewhat of a copacetic relationship, (no doubt helped by the fact that their roles in SCDP don't seem to interfere with eachother ambitions much) and their little back and forth reminded me a bit of Roger and Burt, and I could see the possibility of the future parallels of their careers mimicking Sterling and Cooper.

The show has steadily grown more complicated as well as complex, but the through line of the whole show has also increasingly turned in another direction.
    Don Draper-who, obviously, has never really been the shiniest of guys, when you get past the glamor-lose his hold on furthering his own life to the fullest. His efforts become more labored, more halting, and he continues to lose the finesse he once commanded. His affairs, such as they are, have become mundane and pathetic. The people closest to him can see where the mask no longer fits, or are so inordinately blind that they never registered a mask to begin with.

So...as a series, what do you think the end game is? What are we building towards?

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    This episode has
    taken a jarring tonal shift

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    My god, underdog Bobby Draper with the line of the series

E: this was one of the funniest episodes I can remember

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I think that last line needs to be the new thread title.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    [Mad Men]: ♪♪ It's My Job! ♪♪

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Best episode of the season. Season 6 is already better than 5, might even end up the best of the series at this rate.

• Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    giOntby.gif

Dat dance.

• Options
    i feel really bad when i feel really bad for don draper

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    Best episode of the season. Season 6 is already better than 5, might even end up the best of the series at this rate.

Best episode of the season?

Or best of the show period.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    My wife and I love them as well.

Compare to Nurse Jackie where the preview is a full plot synopsis and you're left thinking "Great, I guess I don't have to watch it now?"

My wife and I just yell out random things we see in the preview. "Next week we see a window." "Next week doors!"

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I've been working my way through the series and I can't tell if I fundamentally dislike Betty Draper, January Jones, or both.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Personally, I don't understand the whole "UGH not another BETTY episode" thing, but I do understand the "January Jones can't act" thing.

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    I dislike both Betty and January, so there you go.

I actually don't think January Jones does nearly as bad in Mad Men as some of her other works, but I think the character is now supposed to be unlikeable, even by Mad Men standards. The show seemed like it was trying to make her sympathetic once upon a time, then realized that everyone hated her, and just went with it. Now she seems to mostly exist so bad things can happen to her and we can all laugh.

She's a little like Michelle Rodriguez's character in Lost. (Lost spoilers below)
    Lost started out with this character, and it was all, "Look at poor Michelle Rodriguez! She is awesome and yet so tragic! Don't you love her?" And viewers were all, "No, she's a fucking bitch who screws up everything she touches and then blames it on everyone else. Can't you just, like, kill her off or something?" And Lost was like, "Oh. Umm, okay. *Michelle dies*"

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I've been working my way through the series and I can't tell if I fundamentally dislike Betty Draper, January Jones, or both.

I don't buy into the general notion that January was cast because she is Betty, or Betty was written around January's inherent bitchiness. I think she's putting in a very good performance and there's real meat on that character. On par with Vincent I think, both are playing people you love to hate and that's always a hard thing to get right. As an aside, you can tell she's doing good work because there are other characters who are designed to be the same level of annoyance/hate fuelling but feel like damp squibs because of a poor performance. That guy from Lucky Strike, for example.

I mean, she's not Olivier or anything, and probably a terrible person outside of the show. But credit where credit's due, I think.

• Options
    Where did she find that name. Every time I see it i can't help but think of porn stars.

I know that's not fair.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    my god, The Crash was spectacular. probably one of my most favorite hours in all of television history.

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa let's not go nuts.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    My favorite aspect of this new merger is that this dude on the left is literally their Roger Sterling.

Kn84Nla.png

Mannerisms, position in the company. Heck, he even looks like a dark world counterpart.

This shot was hilarious for that very reason.

• Options
    I was really hoping we'd get to see Cutler and Sterling's Germany trip this week. I guess there's always next week!

Also the theories that Weiner killed Roger off screen this week are kind of crazy but make me kind of nervous.

oE0mva1.jpg