As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Speed Runs

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Yeah the Amnesia run is really good.

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    A Link to The Past is actually a very difficult game to speed run, as is Super Metroid. The skill ceiling for both is high and if you know what's going on, it's very impressive.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I only caught the very end, so I'm not sure when he came in but during Double Dragon Neon they had a developer in voice chat to talk with, which was pretty cool. That game is hilarious if you've never seen it, definitely worth a watch.

As for LttP, as Zombie says, the standard category is an extremely technical and execution type of speedrun that is extremely optimized, very few outright gamebreaking glitches which makes it really impressive to watch the people that can pull off times anywhere near the record. Almost all categories' records are owned by one person, Kryssstal or something like that. I've never seen any of her runs but they must be just ridiculous.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Watching the Metroid one now. Zoasty is eons above my skill level.

• Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    Zoast's skill is impressive, no doubt about it. It's kind of inspiring me to try to learn a couple new tricks and see if I can't beat my personal best record.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Dranyth wrote: »
    I only caught the very end, so I'm not sure when he came in but during Double Dragon Neon they had a developer in voice chat to talk with, which was pretty cool. That game is hilarious if you've never seen it, definitely worth a watch.

As for LttP, as Zombie says, the standard category is an extremely technical and execution type of speedrun that is extremely optimized, very few outright gamebreaking glitches which makes it really impressive to watch the people that can pull off times anywhere near the record. Almost all categories' records are owned by one person, Kryssstal or something like that. I've never seen any of her runs but they must be just ridiculous.

Krysstal is insane. Just a few of the reasons why:

- She plays on emulator, which is actually slower than the game on the console
    - She plays using a keyboard
    - The second fastest time next to hers is (last I checked) minutes behind
    - During one of her very rare streams (which I'm glad I caught) she beat the world record, played again, and beat the world record again, both times by about 1:30.

So yeah, if you ever get the opportunity to watch her play, it's awesome.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Those first two reasons aren't really positive ones.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Reynolds wrote: »

Well, it's harder to play the game on a keyboard as opposed to a proper controller, and she holds the world record by a good margin even while using a slower set-up. I'd say those are positive.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    HH AustereHH Austere Registered User regular
    A week ago I knew of speed runs. I knew about being exceptionally skilled and exploiting some bugs to speed yourself up.

Today: My mind is still blown from this past week. I had never actually watched a speedrun, and my first one was the 22 minute OoT run on page one of this thread, and it coupled with the commentary made me a fan for life. I've seen SM64, Dark Souls, MMX, Vice City, and so many more this past week and I'm hooked. Thanks for the thread.

• Options

Well, it's harder to play the game on a keyboard as opposed to a proper controller, and she holds the world record by a good margin even while using a slower set-up. I'd say those are positive.

I think most people would say, if you're not playing it on the actual system with a normal controller, it doesn't really count.

Just try to picture King of Kong, but Wiebe is playing on MAME the whole time. Yeah.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    No items, Fox only, Final Destination.

• Options

I think most people would say, if you're not playing it on the actual system with a normal controller, it doesn't really count.

Just try to picture King of Kong, but Wiebe is playing on MAME the whole time. Yeah.

Most people in the speedrunning community recognize her achievements, actually. LeeSDA also beat the old Yoshi's Island any% record on emulator and the community went ballistic.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options

Usually the reason for emulators not really counting is because emulators typically are faster than the actual system.

I have no idea why LttP would be slower on emulator, but if it is, it's crazy that she has the world record with that kind of setup. Unless it makes some tricks very slightly easier somehow. Weird.

• Options
    If you're using the keyboard and can rebind keys however you want, it could certainly make some things easier. Might allow access to otherwise impossible or at least improbable things. Just ask fighting game players about hitboxes, which let you do things like block both directions at the same time, and turns one particular, powerful move that takes hours and hours of practice to perform properly into something you can pick up in a half hour.

I think I only really 'get' speedrunning in games like Mario, where the point was already somewhat to get to the end quickly. Some of the Metroid and Zelda tricks are very, very interesting, though.

I'd love to see someone speedrun Mirror's Edge live!

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I saw part of the Mirror's Edge speedrun on AGDQ 2013, as I recall, decent amount of out of bounds glitches, near the end anyway.

• Options
    I like glitches, and I'd love to see those...but in a game that's literally all about running to the end of the level as fast as you can, I feel like they missed the point.

I was very disappointed when I checked out the online time trials the first week, and everyone had set impossible times thanks to glitches.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Whoops

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Just ask fighting game players about hitboxes, which let you do things like block both directions at the same time
    That's a problem with poorly coded games that allow you to input SOCDs even though it makes no goddamn sense to allow it. "A player is inputting left AND right at the same time? Sounds reasonable to me!"

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Right, and a lot of the weird glitches or tricks you can pull off in these games require you to do some odd and sometimes complex motions with the controller. Which might be even easier when using an input device the game never anticipated when it was created.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Any outstanding ones to recommend? So I don't just pick the games I myself enjoy(ed).

No one mentioned it, but I thought the Paper Mario run was pretty fantastic.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    HOLY CRAP THAT TIME! For reference, 1hr 19min 55sec Super Metroid is faster than the 2nd fastest recorded 100% completion time, and only a handful of seconds short of his own #1 time of 1hr 55min 23sec

http://www.deertier.com/OneHundredPercentRT.aspx

What a fantastic speedrun, ultimate master-class

I wish I had recorded my fastest 100% run in real time. I only remember the in-game time; 38 minutes.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Henroid wrote: »
    HOLY CRAP THAT TIME! For reference, 1hr 19min 55sec Super Metroid is faster than the 2nd fastest recorded 100% completion time, and only a handful of seconds short of his own #1 time of 1hr 55min 23sec

I wish I had recorded my fastest 100% run in real time. I only remember the in-game time; 38 minutes.

That would be 10 minutes faster than the current world record for in-game time, which would overall make it somewhere close to an hour. You're positive it was a 38?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    certain games are also run more because they're watched more I imagine. and they're watched more because more people know them well enough to appreciate what is happening.

although honestly some of these people I'd watch run things I've never seen before. and I did after the marathon ended because the stream happened to be on. some weird old action rpg.

anyway, watching the good stuff I missed from the marathon now. I am blown away by this guy playing dkcr on wii. I found the controls so frustrating and he's talking about infinite rolls and climbing grass at optimal speed and stuff. daaaaaaaaaamn.

def have a bunch I'm gonna check out now. thanks for the link

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

That would be 10 minutes faster than the current world record for in-game time, which would overall make it somewhere close to an hour. You're positive it was a 38?

I'm like 99% positive. It could've been the file's last recorded time from the save (when you select the file) so maybe that's tampering with the memory, but that would mean the in-game completion time is 42ish minutes or so because that last stretch of the game is brief. I wish I had the save file still.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Don't they break out categories of different types? I love seeing the glitches, I also think watching no glitches is fun. I think they said during zelda, there is on for any% no first glitch. the minute 30 one. but there are some out of bounds later I understand that make it amusing.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    The reason they didn't do the faster Link to the Past is because too short and kinda boring.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    oh my god the dkcr run is adorable

there's a level where you just press a to control height (so it auto scrolls) and the runner gave the control stick to a little girl. probably 3 or 4

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    The reason they didn't do the faster Link to the Past is because too short and kinda boring.

A friend showed me the glitched run you can do at the start of the game. And while it's hilarious and all, it's also not thrilling as far as glitching / sequence-breaking goes.

• Options
    I did see them playing Rising Zan (The Samurai Gunman), which I love. But they'd already made it past the beginning weirdness and there wasn't a big crowd to laugh and be confused, so it was pretty boring.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Oh, I understand why you don't stream that glitch. for the purpose of what they did, longer games are better. I still think those have a category and are funny.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    The only reason the FF4 run was entertaining was because he made it into quite a show if you NEVER knew about any of those bugs.

It was so obscenely technical it kind of inspires awe just for that (and he did do a slight alteration that not only cut off time, but got rid of a TON of boring counting to 63 sections that seem to be the norm for the US version of the game)

I guess if you already knew about those methods though it would be somewhat disappointing after the underworld. But the stuff before that was pure legit speedrunning with quite a few holy shit moments.

• Options
    I thought the glitch-tastic, highly technical OOT run posted here a while back was fantastic. I don't even much care for that game, but hearing him talk about all the insane manipulation going on backstage and seeing him execute it in real time without any tool assistance was crazy awesome.
    Seeing the full game played through properly is only fun if it's a highly technical game to begin with or if the people playing it make it entertaining. Quest 64 would have been dead boring with the sound muted.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    I thought the glitch-tastic, highly technical OOT run posted here a while back was fantastic. I don't even much care for that game, but hearing him talk about all the insane manipulation going on backstage and seeing him execute it in real time without any tool assistance was crazy awesome.
    Seeing the full game played through properly is only fun if it's a highly technical game to begin with or if the people playing it make it entertaining. Quest 64 would have been dead boring with the sound muted.

I'm guessing that's probably the All Medallions glitched run by Cosmo that I think I posted a while back. And yes, that run is great, mostly because Cosmo is so good at explaining what's going on and what he's doing or attempting to do. He ran Castlevania 64 this marathon, though I didn't see his run because it was in the morning and I was still sleeping from staying up watching late runs. He ran Commander Keen... 5 I believe at AGDQ this year, in addition to his Wind Waker run. He also went to EVO and entered the SSBBrawl tournament despite not having played it competitively for a couple of years, he still managed to get into the top 64 out of the almost 700 entrants. The guy's pretty crazy good at video games.

• Options
    Oh man, someone ran Commander Keen?? Fuck yes, need to find that. <3
    I wish Tom Hall would run a Kickstarter to buy back the rights for Commander Keen. I'd happily throw monies at that. :(

• Options
    Yeah, Cosmo runs Keen 4, 5 and 6. They're all very short runs, 5 uses a ridiculous glitch that warps to the end of the game... as does 6 I think actually.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    As much as I loathe Reddit, they do have a list of all the runs with links to that point in the stream.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It's fun starting to recognize people.. like seeing Cosmo on the couch of AGDQ's Super Monkey Ball 2 run.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Listening to the FF4 run again while I work.

It's so hilarious the whole time.

• Options
    edited August 2013

I'm like 99% positive. It could've been the file's last recorded time from the save (when you select the file) so maybe that's tampering with the memory, but that would mean the in-game completion time is 42ish minutes or so because that last stretch of the game is brief. I wish I had the save file still.

That would be huge. Even at 42, that's 6 minutes faster than the fastest 100% in-game time currently recorded, which would be somewhere around 12 minutes total. Like, if that's the case, you need to get back to it and start streaming.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Speedruns present a conundrum for me. On one hand, they're awesome, but on the other hand, I haven't played most of these games and I want to hear the story they fly past.

And yeah I know I could just look up a run.

cB557 on