As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Speed Runs

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    New World Record for the 16-Star Mario 64 run.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    New World Record for the 16-Star Mario 64 run.
    Fairly certain that was a joke due to so many shenanigans...

And holy crap Zoasty. I used to watch Super Metroid runners quite a bit, but WOW his skills blew me away. Watch that if you care at all about Super Metroid. Maybe I will try to dig up a link at some point.

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Video proof of Yoshi eating the goalpost marker (what Go1den was talking about):

http://youtu.be/-YA8QOyWmiE

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    Haha, SMW has some of the best sprite-based glitches.

And I still can't get over the amazingness of Zoast in Super Metroid.
    His run is here.

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    This is kind of painful.

e: Let me put it bluntly: only 20 or so people have SS'd Yotta Difficult. Even less can SS it consistently. That level was never meant to be beaten.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Omg I missed a speedrun of blaster master whyyyyyyy

I hope to find a vid of this, it wasnt even on the scehdule I think.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    This is kind of painful.

e: Let me put it bluntly: only 20 or so people have SS'd Yotta Difficult. Even less can SS it consistently. That level was never meant to be beaten.

The Dustforce run wasn't as entertaining as I thought it'd be, I ended up going to bed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Wow, anyone see that edward moment in FF4? Epic miss saved a complete wipe right at the end of the fabul defense.

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    This is kind of painful.

The Dustforce run wasn't as entertaining as I thought it'd be, I ended up going to bed.

It's hard for a run to be entertaining when there's barely an audience for it. The danger of being in the night shift.

Holy shit that Edward save. HOLY FUCKING SHIT

e:
    DkjFJWx.png

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    "STONE!" coming up.

• Options
    MAC!

...CHEESE!

lyk dis if u cri evrytim

• Options
    So glad I get to see this. The game that defined my childhood done is one twentieth of the time.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    It's happening.

e: DIE HARD% HAPPENING RIGHT NOW

e2: oh my fuck die hard is happening too much

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    die hard% forever

• Options
    WHAT

HOW DID ZEROMUS DIE

• Options
    Well that was anti-climactic.

• Options
    Mofat wearing the fabled ironic fedora (is it a fedora? I'm bad with hats and maybe I'm confusing it with a trilby)

• Options
    Wow my world has been blown open on this game.

And I used to think I was a badass when I used game genie back in the day to get to those glitched maps.

Their explanations at least gave you an idea, but there was SO much happening there that I now need to read about all of that.

Well, while trying to dig up stuff about what he was doing, mainly the 64 layer glitch as they called it, I eventually was led to the fact that this has been a thing forever apparently. So much so, that square even tried to address it using in game lore
    FF1.jpg

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Bo comin' up.

Bo doesn't like the run.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    Reimu is back on the couch ,all is well with the world.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    This run seems to be going pretty great.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    You just had to say something!

Whelp, Mofat was on WR pace before that, just lost the run hard.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    What is die hard %?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    If I recall correctly, you basically glitch out FFIV by repeatedly entering and exiting a set of stairs, akin to the game Die Hard where you similarly ascend and descend stairs - albeit in a skyscraper.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    Oh. I was interested because I thought someone was playing Die Hard Arcade or Dynamite Cop.

I keep checking in on this, but they're never playing anything I'm interested in.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Uh, well... it references the 64-floor glitch in FF4 that typically involved running up and down stairs in a particular place. If you want to read about the glitch, there's a good description at: http://speeddemosarchive.com/FinalFantasy4.html if you go down to <64-floor glitch guide>

Speed running Die Hard for the NES also involves running up and down stairs in order to run time off the in-game clock faster (Die Hard was run multiple times at AGDQ earlier this year) so it's just a reference to that game as a name for the category.

• Options
    Yeah...I didn't have a SNES or N64, so I haven't seen anything played that's caught my eye so far. Every time I tune in it's Zelda or Metroid, but maybe I just have bad luck.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Die Hard NES music was played during the stairs segment, just to drive the point home.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    tumblr_mqqhy3xmeZ1r7xaiso1_1280.jpg

we stand on guard for thee

e: ppjSJEB.png

Is the sleep deprivation kicking in yet?

e2: Run over, THEY GOT 250k, and then everything crashed.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I keep checking in on this, but they're never playing anything I'm interested in.
    I keep checking on this and after the first day none of the streams seem to run for more than a second before pausing for 5 seconds, even the prerecorded ones. Not really a bandwidth issue, got a 120Mbit line here.

• Options
    For me, after loading the video they immediately go to an ad.

Maybe you have the ad blocked somehow, so it won't let you watch any further?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Hm, shall try another browser, that might be it.

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Well, SGDQ is sadly over, but you can still watch everything you've missed! Here is a complete list of all the runs during the main stream along with links to the runner's profiles.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Any outstanding ones to recommend? So I don't just pick the games I myself enjoy(ed).

Glal on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Personally, of the ones I watched (which wasn't a lot because I was working for most of it):

Hotline Miami
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Luigi's Mansion
    Sonic The Hedgehog
    Catechumen
    Ninja Gaiden race
    Vice: Project Doom
    Holy Diver
    Rockman 4 Minus Infinity
    Pilot Wings 64
    TMNT
    Super Metroid

I heard Super Mario Sunshine was also excellent.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    The Quest 64 race was hilarious.

All the Zeldas and all the Metroids were fun to watch.

Both Mario 64 runs (the race and the 70 star) were great if only for the "How come he can do that and I never could!" feeling.

Catechuman or whatever was... that was certainly a thing.

FF4, hmm. I really enjoyed it up until the BIG glitch. Not a fan of "skip to the credits" kind of things even though the in-depth code manipulation is impressive in a different way.

Secret of Evermore was great, as was Comix Zone.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Why are the same 5 games or so seem to be the only games which are sped through?
    Super Metroid, Zelda (LttP, OoT, MM), Mario 64. Sure, there are others, but those seem to be the bulk.

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Well, Super Metroid is basically speedrunning the game, the N64 games have the benefit of being really popular and breaking in very interesting ways, and I don't know why LttP is popular for speedrunning. I guess because the people big in the speedrunning scene right now grew up playing it and wanted to see how fast they could get it. It's just a common vector of so many people playing it that they get really good at playing it fast.

I really liked the Amnesia run AdamAK did. It's interesting if only for running in direct opposition of the game's intent.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    They're excellent games and beloved childhood favorites. It may be that they're also really easy to exploit and optimize, but there wouldn't be the interest in finding such things if the games themselves weren't as interesting/fun.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]