As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gundam/Mecha Game Recommendations?

Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
So, I've found myself building several Gundam model kits recently and have developed an appreciation for mecha design in general. Does anyone have any recommendations for mecha games that straddle the line between hardcore simulation and arcade-style gameplay? I guess the closest analogy would be what TIE Fighter was to the flight sim genre.

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Whatever the hell the name of the latest Gundam VS is on PS3.

Import it. Hell buy a PS3 for it.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Hawken is light and fast. What it lacks in depth it makes up for with explosions and nice effects. It's easy to get into and doesn't require much investment.

If you want something slower with more customization and strategy behind it, MechWarrior: Online is an alternative.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    Check out the Armored Core series. You construct your mech to be speedy, a slow, massive gun-toting monstrosity, or anything in between. The entries on recent consoles are AC 4/ For Answer, and AC 5. But they play radically differently from each other. AC 4 and it's followup For Answer are geare towards high speed, almost jet fighter- like mechs, whereas AC 5 is smaller scale, more careful gameplay. It's also HEAVILY based around it's multiplayer squad aspect, so keep that in mind.

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Dartboy wrote: »
    Check out the Armored Core series. You construct your mech to be speedy, a slow, massive gun-toting monstrosity, or anything in between. The entries on recent consoles are AC 4/ For Answer, and AC 5. But they play radically differently from each other. AC 4 and it's followup For Answer are geare towards high speed, almost jet fighter- like mechs, whereas AC 5 is smaller scale, more careful gameplay. It's also HEAVILY based around it's multiplayer squad aspect, so keep that in mind.

This, specifically Armored Core: For Answer. Especially as you're into the design aspects. The customization in this installment may be the best in the series, and there are a lot of Gundam-reminiscent parts and a whole bunch of "stabilizers" that ostensibly are for tuning performance but really are more stylistic flourishes. You can get crazy detailed with paint jobs and decals, as well. So it's like building a model kit and flying it around blowing essay-chai-tea up.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    In addition to what's already been mentioned...

Robotech: Battlecry if you can dig up a GameCube

Keep an eye out for the new Heavy Gear game that's in the works, and check out Heavy Gear 1 & 2 if you're not averse to old games.

Definitely check out Shogo: Mobile Armor Division, even though it's also older. No space flying aspect, but it handles the mecha side really really well.

Robot Alchemic Drive ("RAD") for the Playstation 2 is also work a look. It also has no flight option, and it's got kinda wonky controls, but it captures a sense of scale of giant fighting robots that you don't really get with other titles.

Project Sylpheed for the 360 doesn't have a robot aspect, but its space flying model is very much in line with the style of robot space fighter planes.

Zone of the Enders is most definitely worth a look. I think there's a new 'HD' compilation of the games for modern consoles.

• Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    Thanks for the suggestions, chaps. I've ordered a copy of Gundam Extreme Versus Next based on fond memories of Virtual On (though I suppose both games break the rules I established in the OP... ) and am curious about the Armored Core series. Are there any more differences between AC4/For Answer/AC5 I should be aware of before picking an installment?

Also, I already own Zone of the Enders 2 for the PS2. I probably should play it one day.

Does anyone have any opinions on 0079 Side Story for the Dreamcast?

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hawken is light and fast. What it lacks in depth it makes up for with explosions and nice effects. It's easy to get into and doesn't require much investment.

If you want something slower with more customization and strategy behind it, MechWarrior: Online is an alternative.

Did they ever improve the horridly slow progression in Hawken?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Thanks for the suggestions, chaps. I've ordered a copy of Gundam Extreme Versus Next based on fond memories of Virtual On (though I suppose both games break the rules I established in the OP... ) and am curious about the Armored Core series. Are there any more differences between AC4/For Answer/AC5 I should be aware of before picking an installment?

Also, I already own Zone of the Enders 2 for the PS2. I probably should play it one day.

It's sort of a Gundam meets MechWarrior game in that the MSs are slower and a little clunkier than how they're usually depicted in the series. Overall I thought it was pretty fun.

If you have an import-capable Dreamcast, look into Gundam: Federation vs. Zeon.

5gsowHm.png
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    If you're looking for a strategy game, check out Metal Fatigue. It's old and probably won't run well on Widows Vista and up, but worth a shot.

I know MechCommander is good and the only other mech RTS game available, but metal fatigue is way more gundam-y, although it is a nice middle ground. You're mechs can have long or short range weapons, at late tech levels they can fly, etc. Cool part was that for the campaign crews could earn experience and get better, and the higher the rank the mech would change visually (one faction had larger shoulder pauldrons).

There were also conventional forces like tanks and aircraft.

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Did they ever improve the horridly slow progression in Hawken?

Not really, but the starting mech at level 1 is basically stronger than any other in the game. If you have decent FPS skills you'll be cleaning up each match and before long have enough to buy a more specialized mech. After that it slows down considerably, so it's worth test-driving as much as possible before settling on something.

JKKaAGp.png
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, Ring of Red. It's awesome. It's a combination of a tactics game with sorta active time battle mech fights. Alternate universe World War 2 if there had been mechs. Kind of a steampunk feel to the mechs, so I don't know if that matches your taste in giant robots, but the game is one of my all time favorites.

• DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    Are there any more differences between AC4/For Answer/AC5 I should be aware of before picking an installment?

The way the Armored Core series works is that each numbered installment represents a significant change to the game's formula, while the subtitled entries are followups for that particular installment. In AC4's case, it has AC:For Answer as a followup game, whereas AC5 is the latest game in the series and stands on its own.

Prior to AC 4, the games were fairly clunky and slower paced. You had to intentionally build towards a fast, light mech if that's what you wanted, the default was a lot more UC Gundam-ish in terms of mobility. AC4 changed the formula to be a lot more Macross-like. You can still make whatever kind of mech you want, but everything across the board is much faster, and it's much easier to do things like fly indefinitely.

This change did annoy a lot of people, and AC 5 was a switch back to the slower, more tactical kind of gameplay. What it also did, however, was heavily integrate online play, so you can do things like campaign coop. Neat, but this also makes just playing the game a lot more cumbersome as there's more hoops to jump through just to get a game going.

Personally, I preferred For Answer, but it's really up to what style of combat you prefer. If you want to dig into the older titles, there's a ton of sheer content to be had, though.

It's fairly neat for the time it came out, but pathetically short and kid of light on the gameplay. If you've played any of the PSP Gundam Battle games you've got the same basic thing, but with like 50 times the mech selection.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Whatever the hell the name of the latest Gundam VS is on PS3.

Import it. Hell buy a PS3 for it.

While these games are great (and insanely popular in Japan, I have seen floors of arcades dedicated to the game with over 30 cabinets) they aren't really simulation-y at all. They are arcade-y through and through. Lots of fun strategy in the 2v2 stuff, but, its not exactly what the OP is looking for.

Of course, the exact thing that the OP is looking for is Kidō Senshi Gundam: Senjō no Kizuna which is an arcade game in which you sit inside of a giant pod and control a gundam with pedals and levers. Unfortunately, unless he lives in Japan he probably has no access to it (I'll be sure to sneak in some rounds of it this weekend in your honor).

Something I haven't seen anyone mention are the Front Mission games. They are turn based, but they are some pretty solid mech action. I believe the 3rd one (which is the best in my opinion, even if the graphics may not have aged well) is up on the PSN these days.

• sevenpainssevenpains Registered User regular
    Front Mission 5 is my personal favorite in the series if you can get a import playable ps3, for more action oriented games Armored Core has been mentioned and they can suck up alot of time just tuning and testing mechs for missions/vs comp ai matchs or online in the case of AC V

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    sevenpains wrote: »
    Front Mission 5 is my personal favorite in the series if you can get a import playable ps3, for more action oriented games Armored Core has been mentioned and they can suck up alot of time just tuning and testing mechs for missions/vs comp ai matchs or online in the case of AC V

Oh snap, I somehow missed Front Mission 5 (I guess because it so no US release) the last Front Mission game I remembered hearing about was the one that was actually an action mech game.

I need to snatch a copy of 5 up asap!

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    So, I've found myself building several Gundam model kits recently and have developed an appreciation for mecha design in general. Does anyone have any recommendations for mecha games that straddle the line between hardcore simulation and arcade-style gameplay? I guess the closest analogy would be what TIE Fighter was to the flight sim genre.

1.) Go on Ebay and get yourself an old original XBOX
    2.) While you're there, get yourself Steel Battalion.
    3.) While your packages are en route, clear off some desk space because you're gonna need it.
    4.) Enjoy the greatest mech game ever made.

SBcontroller-620x.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58fvL-Z1Cxs

wWuzwvJ.png
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    Gundam side story is worth a play around on. You're limited to just killing Zaku in a GM though and as mentionned it is a slow cockpit view mechwarrior type affair.

The gundam versus games are always worth a play, last one i had was gundam vs zeta gundam on the GC, that had an endless selection of mechs to play.

You can pick up a copy of Gundam Battle Operation on the PS3 for free. Its basically a multiplayer deathmatch version of the versus games. It will require you to set up a japanese psn account and you'll need to trawl the net for menu translations. Theres an element of pay to win about it, but you can collect a decent array of suits and parts through normal play. The servers are in Japan, I've heard US players get reasonable ping. In the UK though I'm stuck with no connection bars, which normally sees me kicked from lobbies despite the fact it seems to run with no lag.

• Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    sevenpains wrote: »

Oh snap, I somehow missed Front Mission 5 (I guess because it so no US release) the last Front Mission game I remembered hearing about was the one that was actually an action mech game.

I need to snatch a copy of 5 up asap!

I actually have a copy of FM5 that I picked up for 10 quid shortly after the release of the (very competent looking) fan translation. Hardcore Gaming 101 said it was the best in the series but required a working knowledge of the plots of the previous games in the series (which I have never played).

Speaking of Japanese exclusives, how import-friendly are the Another Century's Episode games?

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Steel Battalion is ridonk. Had that game and controller for a while, but it is punishingly difficult.

I think my favorite treatment of mechs in games was in Lost Planet. I liked being able to get in and out of them, and that gameplay both on-foot and in a mech was relevant and useful in their own ways.

I want a mech game like that, but less linear, and with customization. Lost Planet 3 seems to be going that route, but I'm skeptical.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    There are ways to mod the steel battalion controller for PC/Mechwarrior use.

• adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    I'm not going to say that Gundam:Crossfire is a GOOD game, but it's enjoyable if you can look past its flaws (PS3 launch title, technical issues galore).

NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Man, I just cannot handle the controls on 0079 Side Story. The Dreamcast needed a second thumbstick BAD.

Oh BTW, whatever you do, DO NOT get Front Mission Evolved.

Gaslight on
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Shogo's worth a try if you wanted to venture into the weird field of FPS meets mechs. Its on GOG for like 5-6 bucks I think.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Everyone hates it, but I actually really enjoyed the kinect steel battalion. The biggest complaint everyone has is the kinect not catching their moves right, but I didn't have this problem. So if you can get it to work it is great

• DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Oh yeah, Ring of Red. It's awesome. It's a combination of a tactics game with sorta active time battle mech fights. Alternate universe World War 2 if there had been mechs. Kind of a steampunk feel to the mechs, so I don't know if that matches your taste in giant robots, but the game is one of my all time favorites.

Ring of Red is interesting. I keep having PS2 issues, so I haven't finished it. :( I like what they do with the combat, though.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    If you like high speed robot action, I consider Zone of the Enders 2 the best.

Good, you already own it. You can literally finish it in under 10 hours. I expect impressions by tonight.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Strike suit zero is really excellent. I really nails that Gundam/Macross space combat really well.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    Iron Brigade on XBLA or steam is criminally absent from this thread. Closer to arcade than a straight split between arcade and sim, but worth a look. You can play it with a heavy mech and third person shooter it, go light and play tower defense with minimal shooting, medium and do a bit of both. Great sense of humor about the game too. Every time Double Fine says they're making or doing something, it's never more Iron Brigade content, and that makes me sad.

Since you've already said you liked Virtual On that is an option on XBLA, and maybe PSN, if you don't currently own a copy. Plays better with a twin stick so you need to mod something if that's a must, but it's still a hell of a lot of fun with a controller. Has online multiplayer that was very playable the few times I've used that aspect of it; not sure if they're flukes or that's the norm though.

Maybe more than one person recommended it and I missed it, but Robotech: Battlecry is a hell of a lot of fun. More on the arcadey side than in the middle like you wanted, but if you like any of the newer Gundam shows/mecha designs where they fly around like they're in Valkyries/Veritechs anyway, you'll appreciate it. Gameplay wise it's fun as hell if you like mecha in the slightest, still a good game even if you don't. On PS2 as well as the already mentioned GC.

• BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    Downloaded Hawken from recommendations from this thread, and I'm loving it so far. Fast paced and tactical while still feeling like you're in a lumbering mech.

Tried Mechwarrior online, but it didn't seem like my thing. Seems a damn sight harder to get into than Hawken.

• AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I actually have a copy of FM5 that I picked up for 10 quid shortly after the release of the (very competent looking) fan translation. Hardcore Gaming 101 said it was the best in the series but required a working knowledge of the plots of the previous games in the series (which I have never played).

Speaking of Japanese exclusives, how import-friendly are the Another Century's Episode games?

I heartily endorse the recommendations for Armored Core. AC:2 all the way through to AC:FF will give you tons of gameplay content. I belong to the camp that actually liked the pre-AC:4 games better, since you had greater variety in feasible builds. Want a missile boat? Sure. Want something all kitted out in bazookas and rocket launchers? Done. Want an entirely melee based mech, swinging Moonlight in one hand and a parry blade in the other? Not a problem. CHAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIINGUN? Easy. Quads too! AC:4 and AC:FF took a lot of that away, but in exchange you get ultra fast paced action that some people might enjoy instead. With all the HD re-releases these days, it would be nice if From used some of that cash from the Souls series to put out an HD collection for the older ACs...

No matter what you do, do NOT pick up ACE:R. The gameplay is absolutely horrible. If I still had my copy I would pay you to take it away from me.

If you have an import capable PS2, get ACE 2 or ACE 3. Both are miles better. No need to really follow the plot, and once you get the menus down (there are translations available on the Internet) they are quite import friendly.

The newest Macross game for the PS3 might interest you, being basically Ace Combat. With transforming fighters. It also provides the best import support in that there is an entire fan made English encyclopedia for everything in the game.

Akilae on
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Blurbl wrote: »
    Downloaded Hawken from recommendations from this thread, and I'm loving it so far. Fast paced and tactical while still feeling like you're in a lumbering mech.

Tried Mechwarrior online, but it didn't seem like my thing. Seems a damn sight harder to get into than Hawken.

Mechwarrior is basically a sim, so yeah, a bit hard to just jump in and play IMO.

It is really satisfying when it goes right though.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Blurbl wrote: »

Mechwarrior is basically a sim, so yeah, a bit hard to just jump in and play IMO.

It is really satisfying when it goes right though.
    Come play with the PA bros who are incredibly active in this game!

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/178461/mechwarrioronline-weapon-rebalancing-on-the-21st-oosik-sigs-on-p19#latest

We'll all be glad to help you out with any questions you have!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • sevenpainssevenpains Registered User regular
    I swear that the older AC 2 through AC 3 got rereleases on the psp or the vita... at least maybe only in japan according to fromsoft's website

What is that Macross game for the PS3 that has a time warp bring every Macross series star to one planet? I'm talking SDF Macross, Macross Plus, Macross Zero, macross 7.

• AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    What is that Macross game for the PS3 that has a time warp bring every Macross series star to one planet? I'm talking SDF Macross, Macross Plus, Macross Zero, macross 7.

That's the one I was talking about: Macross 30. It's quite good.

Akilae wrote: »

That's the one I was talking about: Macross 30. It's quite good.

and justifies a PS3 for me if I wasn't poor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovuY36fT30k

Why do I watch this to hurt myself?

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Are there any more differences between AC4/For Answer/AC5 I should be aware of before picking an installment?

Assuming you're still checking this thread, here are the differences.

For Answer has a more interesting campaign in that you get to blow up a bunch of big-ass armored forts that are basically walking aircraft carriers with as many as five or six battleships stacked on top of them. Bring ammo. All the ammo, ever made. You also gets some decent duels here and there. But be aware that in AC4 and For Answer, you're flying around in jets with legs. You're that kind of mech, and if that's not your style, then stop reading this and go play Mechwarrior Online. Hell, you should probably just stop reading this and go play Mechwarrior Online until you're sick at the sight of it, then come back.

I know, right? That totally kicked ass. But you're not done playing mech games just yet. Also, am I still alive in the future? Anyway, stick with For Answer. There are more customization options, including the ability to build decent Gundam lookalikes and then play a game that isn't lame Bandai shovelware with them. And the ratio of gigantic armored fort enemies to Chinook helicopter enemies is at least a non-zero number, unlike AC4.

Armored Core V is a multiplayer game, the single-player is a tutorial, more robust than what was included with Chromehounds, but unsatisfying nonetheless. I can't think of a worse Armored Core game to be your introduction to the series. And that includes the PS1 games, some of which rocked pretty hard. And Armored Core 2, which despite having weird controls has a special place in my heart.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht