As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wacom Tablets for Personal and Professional use

Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
If this could be better posted in an existing thread, lock and let me know!
So, having worked in graphic design for a few years now, but never having access to the fancy tools I see many, many artists using online, I've decided it's time I invest in myself and pick one up.
However, my budget is a bit strained, so I'm wondering about the advantages of an Intuos5 v. Bamboo v. Cintiq v. just getting a damn Surface Pro (as an aside, is there a less expensive answer to a Pro?).
Another avenue I have the chance to explore is getting my work to purchase one for me, and for all intents and purposes it would be mine as long as I'm at the company. In this case price could be less of an issue. The problem is having to justify it. Seeing how the large part of my work is doing layouts for manuals and product bulletins in InDesign with the all-too-frequent cleaning up of technical diagrams and engineering drawings in Photoshop and Illustrator, I have a hard time coming up with any justification that would significantly increase productivity. So I turn to you guys!

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    The bamboo is the entry level version. Its great for what it is, but if you use it a lot, you'll probably want an intuos or better for more pressure sensitivity etc. I used to have a graphire before it was rebranded the bamboo.
    The intuos is fantastic, and a professional level product. There are many professional artists who prefer it to the Cintiqs even. No hand getting in the way of your art. I've had an intuos for probably 10 years now.

On the other hand, the Cintiq is badass. I've been using them at work for 4-5 years now and its really hard to go home and use an intuos. The connection between brain, hand, and art is so much smoother. They actually just came out with a 13 inch version (which I ordered a day or two ago).

For your professional work, it seems the intuos would probably best. I don't know that I suggest getting a cintiq straight off.

The Surface pro was something I was seriously looking into as well and it seems people really like it.

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    The Surface Pro is cool but has compatibility issues when it comes to wacom software or so I hear. Also, as a laptop, it doesn't have an amazing GPU, so graphics intensive work could be annoying. It would be AWESOME for hobby work, but I wouldn't use it as a professional tool.

A cintiq is badass, but super expensive. If you've never even used one before, I wouldn't splurge on it. At least try it out and fall in love with it first.

I have an intuos. That's the way to go for most pros. However, you'll probably be fine with a bamboo. It really depends on how much of a digital painter you are and how much you'll rely on precise pressure sensitivity control.

• Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    The Bamboo, IMO, is a complete piece of crap. It's terrible. Completely and totally terrible. The pressure sensitivity is awful, and the work space is tiny. It also feels cheap.

The Intuos5 was much nicer.

• Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. A cintiq for home use is a little out of my price range, though it might be handy to hold up as a negotiation tool to talk my wife or my boss down to an Intuos, rather than starting at a bamboo and working up to it.
    On the work front, any suggestions for putting together a presentation or sales pitch to sell my boss on this?

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Wacom finally put out a driver that makes the surface pro work with photoshop.

• Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    I've read reviews on the monoprice tablets that make them sound like a heckova bargain.

10"x6.25" for $46
    or
    12"x9" for $89

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    I work with a lot of Indesign and Illustrator, very minor photoshop manipulations and color correction. I've had Graphires -which is basically a Bamboo- and now I have an Intuous. There is absolutely no performance difference between both models when you're working in layout programs and vectors.

Indesign doesn't care if you're pressing hard or soft, neither does Illustrator, so the extra pressure sensitivity you have in the Intuous is wasted on that software.

Points for the Intuous, the stylus feels much nicer than the Bamboo.

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    I have a bamboo and I like it. I used to have a tiny 3x4 inch Wacom tablet (Graphire?) and went to a bamboo to try out something more "pro". Of course I'm not really good with it. I keep clicking the side button when I draw downward, and I'm still trying to "feel" how pressure strokes are supposed to go. I find myself making a stroke, ctrl-z stroke, ctrl-z, stroke, ctrl-z over and over again. Many times when I want to do something "quick" or with more accuracy I'll draw with the mouse for a bit. (Great for square-selects, or sticking the cursor in one spot)

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    The old Graphire was rebranded as Bamboo. They both had exactly the same specifications a couple of years ago, I don't know if current ones have been upgraded in terms of performance.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    As much as I love my Intous, there is a learning curve to get past. The hand-eye disconnect is really weird at first. I've tried out other people's Cintiqs, and those were amazing. Going digital with a large cintiq would totally cut down the amount of time it takes to produce content. However, the price is super high.

I've heard that the Yiynova tablets are pretty good, although they lack the paper-like feel of the Cintiq and don't have the same variety of accessories. They're only 600 bucks for a 19 inch screen, compared to the Cintiq's 2100 for a 21 inch. I'm still going to save for a Cintiq though, because for me the paper-like feel is worth the cost.

• Options
    RyeRye Registered User regular
    So, I use any and all tablets at work (I'm spoiled rotten) and there are a few "intangibles" that come with each.

• A nice bamboo or Intuos works great for minor painting, but it will slow down design if you don't optimize your workflow (remapping common keys, using the bonus keys).
    • Cintiq is way too expensive for someone just doing layout/design. The kinetic "feel" of moving things around on a virtual surface is AWESOME and being able to use it with a keyboard fairly seamlessly is good too (not much adjustment needed). You get the MOST out of a Cintiq if you paint digitally, so the $2,000 + price tag is not easily justified for design/layout.
    • Surface Pro I don't recommend for design - it's imprecise for touch interaction, and again the price is steep considering it's not catering to your core job.

For efficiency in general, I'd focus on eliminating whatever slows you down the most. If that's translating sketches to digital workplates, then invest in a good scanner or Tablet. If it's layout and design, remap keyboard stuff and learn as much as you can about shortcuts. If it's polish and content filling, work on finding good pintrest boards or a steadily updated reference folder that has awesome content layout and a breadth of examples for every kind of content node.

Tools are great once you've identified bottlenecks, but It's REALLY important to identify those bottlenecks discretely first. I would document and make SURE that you're actually removing a constraint, especially if it's on your personal dime.

• Options
    Well, if I were going for a Cintiq or Surface Pro, that would be out of my own wallet, barring crazy cash boom and frivolous spending on the part of my employer; at that point I'd be doing mostly digital sketching and painting, because at home I'm doing more creative work.
    A friend of mine offered to use her student discount to get me a tablet if that's the route I wanted to go. Obviously it would be a little more cumbersome actually getting it in my hands, paying her first and then having her ship it to me (she's in upstate New York and I'm in upstate....Indiana). She didn't elaborate on the savings when I spoke with her about it, but it may be the route I go. I think discount or no I'm going to shoot for an Intuos; it's a professional standard tool I'd be able to learn to use for my creative projects at home, and if for whatever reason I wanted to bring it in to work, it's much more portable than a Cintiq.

• Options
    Thought I'd follow up and let everyone know that I picked up a Bamboo Capture for $50 on woot last week and after playing with it for several hours last night, I can say it's slick as hell. Obviously it's not an intuos but it was a great entry point. The learning curve so far has been very smooth and I can see adapting very well to it in the long term.
    Also, today I was bullshitting with my boss and brought up that I'd just picked one of these up and he got very excited, saying that I need to bring it in to work and figure out how/if we can apply it in our daily tasks, and if it proves beneficial he'd like to push for our department to get them. Tomorrow begins my trial run, wish me luck!

• Options
    uncle bouncle bo Registered User new member
    I have an Intous 4 medium. I love it for painting in Photoshop (pressure sensitivity is nice). It's good for Lightroom too. However, for technical work in Illustrator, Indesign or 3d Max I stick with a mouse. If I'm painting textures in PS for models in Max I jump between pen and mouse which is a nice option.